What’s Your Motivation?

The  weekend is here!! Even though my weeks always fly by, the past couple of weeks have double timed the previous ones. I think it’s a combination of returning from a short vacation visiting friends, and the realization that school is almost upon us. For those of you who don’t know, we are one of the strange really hip homeschooling families you are starting to see around your cities and towns. We’ve been homeschooling for 11 years, so for us it’s just a normal part of who we are.  Just in anticipation of any questions you may have, I’ll just give you the basics:

homeschool blackboard

•  NO – I do not wear denim jumpers, grow my hair long, and only wear dresses.

•  YES – We do have tests, homework, and accountability.

•  YES – The children are all very well socialized, sometimes so much so they wear me out with the driving.

•  NO– I don’t think everyone should homeschool.

•  YES – If you are good with keeping track of things, you will realize that this year I will have:

• A college freshman,
  • a high schooler,
  • a middle schooler,
  • two elementary schoolers,
  • one preschooler,
  • one toddler

•  YES – I get overwhelmed sometimes, but not often, and I’ve sometimes never wanted to quit.

What, you might ask does this have to do with weight loss and weight maintenance? Well, I’ll tell you. Absolutely nothing, and absolutely everything.

I’ve homeschooled through obesity, pregnancies, and healthy weight. I’ve seen my children appreciate the time and effort I spend staying healthy by consistently exercising, and trying to make the best food choices for them, and for myself.  Homeschooling may not pay me anything much , but the time spent with my family is precious to me. I enjoy watching them learn, grow, and blossom. When we have discussions about current events at the lunch table, I know they are listening, reading, and learning. When we go outside to study the flower blooming on the deck, I see firsthand how their brain is processing information. And when we  have scooter races down the driveway, there is joy.

Where’s the relevance to weight loss? The relevance is this: No matter what your life looks like, getting healthy is a positive thing. For those of you on a weight loss journey, getting healthy does include losing weight. For those of you in maintenance and beyond, you have tasted what life at a healthy weight feels like.

What is one thing in your life you never want to stop doing? Whatever your answer is to that question may be your best motivation to continue on your journey. Personally, my weight loss journey was for me, but also for me to be more fully available for my family. Sure I homeschooled through obesity, but I was a lot more tired, and some days, a lot less engaged than I am now. Now I have energy to handle the day to day challenges that come up, whereas before, just getting through the day was a challenge.

I’d love for you to share with me what makes the hard journey worth the effort. I look forward to reading your thoughts.  Diane

30 thoughts on “What’s Your Motivation?

1. Hanlie says:

I’m very pro-homeschooling and hope to do it myself one day. Well done on doing such an excellent job!

I think even just being a mother is easier when you’re not overweight, but homeschooling requires so much more.
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..Life in the Raw =-.

2. A Girl Running says:

My weight loss motivation is running. I LOVE running and I love food but if I don’t do something about the sort of foods I am eating I will never be as good a runner as I have wanted to be for the last 5 years.

I really wanted to homeschool my daughter when we moved here as it is a non english speaking school – even her teacher does not understand English and she had to learn Spanish in a hurry to fit in. For some reason homeschooling is illegal in Spain
    .-= A Girl Running´s last blog ..TIME TO GO =-.

• Diane says:

@ Hanlie – I hope you get to homeschool if that’s something you desire. We do enjoy it, but know it’s not for everyone!

@ Running Girl – You make a good point – food is our fuel, and the better our food, the better we go! I knew homeschooling was illegal in Germany, but not in Spain. I’d better not move there!

3. Tammy Ortagus says:

I’ve got several reasons for wanting to stick around and getting healthy….I’ve got 4 nieces and nephews that are going to need a “cool” aunt and I’m it! I’ve got a roommate and best “guy” friend who had cerebal palsy at birth and is one-handed…he’s going to need help the rest of his life. I’ve got 2 parents who are aging and will need more help. I’ve got a fantastic boyfriend of 5 years that I plan on marrying. I’ve got the sweetest, most precious puppy dog in the whole wide world and she needs her Momma to take care of her and spoil her rotten. I’ve got 2 sisters that need me to tell them dumb jokes and make them laugh at what a dork their eldest sister is. 🙂
    .-= Tammy Ortagus´s last blog ..Too Close For Comfort =-.

• Diane says:

@ MizFit – Don’t slink off – it’s not for everyone. We’ve been doing it for so long, it’s just part of who I am!!

@ Tammy – Those are a lot of reasons to get healthy! When I was reading over your list I thought, “That’s a big list!”

4. South Beach Steve says:

Diane, I had my suspicions that you might be a home schooler – don’t ask me why. My wife and I also home school our three kids, one high school, one middle school, and one grade school. You are right, it isn’t for everyone. It is a lot of work, but there are a lot of rewards.
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Another Medical Update and Old Pics =-.

The first thing that popped into my mind was that I don’t want to continue being the “fat mom”. You know the one. She’s a soccer mom, volunteers at school regularly and keeps the household running fairly smoothly, but she’s heavy and looks like she does nothing but sit around eating all day. Oh, but she’s also always “on a diet” trying to watch what she eats, but you never really see a change.

That’s been me up to this point and it’s going to change. I will be a living testimony that you don’t have to become a fat mom when you have babies. And, if you were heavy growing up, like I always was, that you can change and live a happy, healthier life.
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..The Right Tools =-.

• Diane says:

@ Steve – I hope it wasn’t my denim jumpers! Oops – I don’t wear those! Glad to know another fellow homeschooling family.

@ Leah – I love your point, and I know exactly what you are talking about. I was the fat mom. The one who brought cookies, but tended to stay in the back of the room holding up the wall. I try to link the blogs that I see have mine linked, besides I like your blog!

6. Amy H. says:

What is the one thing in your life you never want to stop doing? What a great question. Sadly, I’m not 100% sure. Staying healthy might be one. And candidly, I’m far too self-involved to home school. I think it takes a very giving person, such as yourself, to make that commitment. I admire those that can handle it.
    .-= Amy H.´s last blog ..Rewards =-.

7. Christine says:

I’m right there with Leah. I don’t want to be the “fat” mom at my oldest sons graduation. I know my kids love me for me but I want people to look at me and say to them “Dude, that’s your mom?” Losing the weight will also help me look younger,not older! I’ve known I didn’t want to be that way but put it off. Now I have 1 yr to get it all off. Nothing like waiting til the last moment. But at least I’m getting it done.

Three of my boys are also starting to want to eat healthier. Everything they snack on now they come to me and say “Is this healthy?” I am going to start changing the way I cook for them so that they can eat healthy too.

I’m NOT buying junk for snacks anymore!! I will pack them a healthy meal for lunch when they go back to school.

Thank for all the post you do! They help more then you know.

• Diane says:

@ Amy – Staying healthy is a great reason to get fit and stay motivated! It was definitely one of my top three. I tend to be self-involved too, so I have to carefully schedule my time or nothing gets done in my house! Just ask my hubby!

@ Christine – I liked Leah’s point too! I think that’s so good that you have a specific goal in mind for your son’s graduation! When I lost my weight I really did change the way I cooked for the family. It made a big difference for all of us!

8. Nancy B. Kennedy says:

I’m a stay-at-home working mom (writer with a home office) and writing is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Still, I have to share a funny, funny story. One Mother’s Day in his preschool Sunday school class, my son was asked to answer questions about his mom. One question was, “What does your mom do all day?” He answered: “Go to her gym.” What a hoot! I swim about 30 minutes, three times a week. But that’s how he thinks of me! I could never have imagined this, overweight my whole life, but now finally at a good weight. I still wouldn’t define myself by my gym membership, though!
    .-= Nancy B. Kennedy´s last blog ..Christina Chapan: In it for life =-.

9. Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit says:

My oldest (21) daughter homeschooled her entire life, never stepping foot into a classroom until college. She’s a voracious reader, a world traveller (she just got back from a month in Costa Rica) and an honors student. Mostly I think it’s because it’s all so fresh and new to her still. By the time I was finished with high school, I was sick to death of school. Oh, I muddled through college, but my heart wasn’t in it like my child’s is.

People have an inate fear of homeschooling, but I’m a big advocate.
    .-= Jack Sh*t, Gettin’ Fit´s last blog ..Giving & Gaining =-.

• Diane says:

@ Nancy – That story was really funny. It’s always interesting to hear what kids think of their parents. My husband is working on his MBA, and one of our children thinks that is what he does all day. “Goes to college!”

@ Jack – My oldest is just starting college, and she has a keen interest in everything she is learning too. I was more like you – ready to be done with the whole thing!

10. Fran says:

Thanks for stopping by at my blog.

I don’t have children, so don’t have an opinion on homeschooling but it’s great of you to do this for your children.

Right now my motivation for losing weight is running. I doing a 10K run in September and would really like to run that with less weight than I am right now.
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Thursday July 30th 2009 =-.

Great post Diane. My middle stepdaughter homeschools her kids. She graduated college with a teaching degree. The reason she did this though was because of some teasing & such from kids when she was in school & she did not want her kids to go thru that. I understand that but kids also have to learn to deal with diversity & hard situations too like the real world.

Saying that, she tells me there are all kinds of outings & get togethers where they are so they are getting interaction with other kids. I think that is really important.

OK, I must also say I am so impressed with all you have done/do & what a great example you are setting for your kids!!!

The one thing I never want to stop doing beyond being with family & friends… lifting weights!!! OK, did you expect any less form me!!! 🙂
    .-= Jody – Fit at 51´s last blog ..Walking & Pedometer Testing/Accuracy =-.

• Diane says:

@ Fran – I’m so impressed with anyone who runs. I’m mostly a walker, but in my heart would love to say, “Yes, I’m a runner!” Good luck on the 10K!

@ Jody – Interesting about your middle stepdaughter’s motivation. Everyone who homeschools has a different reason, and comes at it from a different angle. You are right – I’m not surprised that you never want to stop lifting weights! If you wanted to stop, then I’d be surprised.

12. Wendy says:

Your story shows us how we can always find reasons to NOT do what we need to do. I have twin boys and work full time, so I used to think I didn’t have time for myself-all my time should be used for them. But I realized that if I didn’t take care of myself, I wouldn’t be able to take care of anyone. My motivation is to take motivation out of the picture… I don’t need to be motivated to brush my teeth, and fitness is just another thing I need to do to take care of myself.

• Diane says:

@ Wendy – Twin boys! I thought I had my hands full with 5 boys! I love your attitude about taking care of yourself. You will be a better Mom if you feel good about yourself, both mentally and physically. Thanks for sharing that!

@ Lisa – I don’t do half of what I want to do! Seriously. Thanks for the compliment though!

• Diane says:

Sophia – Whether gain or lose, health is always of paramount value. I hope that you will achieve all your goals. I enjoyed reading about your NYC trip!

@ Mary – I can’t imagine being young and free again! Well, I can imagine it, but it’s been so long that I don’t remember it! Enjoy every minute. . .

13. LoriAnn says:

My motivation is not passing our family’s obesity on to my daughter. She is 3 and thin as can be. I’m trying to eat cleanly, so that she will learn to enjoy quality food. My parents are both obese as are my siblings and husband. I want something better for my child.

As for homeschooling, I go back and forth about what I will do when she turns 5. I taught public school for 10 years, so I am keenly aware of what is out there in store for her. I know that I not only have the skill to teach her, but I have plenty of materials too. LOL Still, I have considered applying to teach at a private school, so I can enroll her and be there with her. I keep praying about it and hope that God will show me what is best for her.
    .-= LoriAnn´s last blog ..Sorry for not posting on Weigh In Day =-.

14. Evelyn says:

Diane, your blog was so encouraging! I am a homeschooling Mom of 6 and I am motivated to finish strong. My infant needs me to be a healthy, vibrant Mommy like I was for her older siblings. Thank you for cheering this Mommy on in her journey!

15. Shannon Fab Fattie says:

I am a little jealous, I will admit. We actually looked into homeschooling and it is just not something I am capable of doig. Done properly there are so many benefits that come from it.
    Kudos to you and your family it sounds like you are doing a great job. I bet your back to school check list is HUGE!
    .-= Shannon Fab Fattie´s last blog ..Become the inspiration! =-.

• Diane says:

Yes – my back to school check list is huge, and quite expensive! We order our supplies from Rainbow Resource, whose catalog is a whopping 1400 pages! Thanks for the comment!