Things to Do Before Summer Ends

I thought you might like a break from weight loss and maintenance, so here’s a list of a few things to try before summer ends:

Go to a ball game! – We took the oldest 5 kids to our minor league baseball game the other night! It was so much fun, and after the game there were awesome fireworks!

Eat outside – There are few things as fun as setting up a picnic, even if it’s in your own backyard. Be creative with the food. When we did our last picnic we had wraps, cantaloupe/grapes and yogurt!

Get wet! – If you haven’t been swimming this summer, make sure to go before summer ends. My children think it is the biggest treat when I go swimming with them!

Visit a new attraction – Haven’t been to the zoo in a while? Go now! We live about an hour and a half from the closest zoo, so when we go it is a real family outing!

Watch a movie – Have an old favorite movie you haven’t seen in a while? Rent it from the video store, make a date with your significant other and enjoy!

Make a summer scrapbook– I love scrapbooking, and have 10 years worth of family memories! Too much for you? Buy a kit from your hobby store, add pictures and you are done.

Play some games together – Our family loves to play games and do puzzles. Here’s a picture of some of us after completing a 1000 piece puzzle!

Puzzle Picture

Read a book – I love to read all year long, but there is something delicious about summer reading. All the pleasure and none of the guilt!

Swing – If you’ve got kids, take them to a playground and swing with wild abandon. Don’t have kids? Don’t let that stop you – one of my favorite memories is of John and I swinging on swings right after we got married!

Have a yard sale – Summer is prime yard sale time in most parts of the country. Get rid of your old junk and make some money at the same time!

Volunteer – Whether for the library, the homeless shelter, or a local park, volunteering is good for the community, and good for you!

Visit the farmer’s market – There is something really special about a farmer’s market. The people, the colors, the healthy food!

Catch fireflies – My kids love running around in the early evening catching fireflies in a jar. Just don’t run into each other!

Make popsicles– We made popsicles out of red raspberry zinger tea and all the kids loved them!

Clean out your closet – Get rid of all the ugly, out of date clothes as well as the ones that no longer fit!

Plan your fall – Plan for eating, for activities, for school. Plan to succeed!

Do you have some things you are going to do before summer ends?

21 thoughts on “Things to Do Before Summer Ends

1. Amy H. says:

Great ideas! I visited Illinois once when I was a kid and they had fireflies (we don’t have many in Colorado). Would love to show the kids how to catch them – I’m sure they’d love it! I guess we’ll have to make do with moths.
    .-= Amy H.´s last blog ..Rewards =-.

• Diane says:

Rhonda – Have a great time at your picnic. I love picnics too. The only thing I don’t like about picnics is bees because I’m a tiny bit afraid of them!

Great ideas! We’ve done some of those things this summer already. Last summer my husband was called away for the US Navy for five weeks. This summer he has been home 24/7, so we’ve enjoyed swimming, visit to the zoo & state aquarium, little nearby towns and last night I took the girls out for an overnight, girls-only trip that we began with seeing a student version of “Les Miserables” at the local theatre and ended after a stay at a hotel.

I read somewhere a few months ago that experiences are more memorable than purchases. The writer said, and I paraphrase, “that pair of shoes that you just had to have [and bought on a whim] will sit in your closet, but an experience will be a wonderful memory you’ll have forever”.
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..A good "Ugh…" =-.

• Diane says:

Leah – I believe you are right. My children remember the times we spend together much more than the things we buy them. It sounds like you are having a great summer!

3. Babbalou says:

We’ve been doing (as in doing it all ourselves) a fairly major construction project on our house this summer, so we’re really behind in participating in the pleasures of summer. For the first time ever, I didn’t get a vegetable garden planted this year, although I hit the farmers’ market each week and feel good about helping support my local farmers. Here’s what’s on my to do list before fall brings colder weather – rent a kayak and try it out. I’ve always wanted to try kayaking! Get a fishing license and go fishing (I grew up fishing but haven’t gone in years). Get out my bike, put air in the tires and give it a whirl. I’m also hoping to plant a fall lettuce crop, which still has time to grow before the short growing season is over.

• Diane says:

After my fiasco of a garden last year, I too am supporting the local farmers! I hope you get to do the kayak trip. I’ve been on one once, and it was a lot of fun! Enjoy!

4. MamaBearJune says:

I LOVE fireflies! They were such a part of my childhood growing up in the midwest. Now at 7200ft in Colorado, we never see them. We’ve done a lot of hiking this summer. I’ve been reading a lot, too. 🙂
    .-= MamaBearJune´s last blog ..A very sad time =-.