The Thinking Loser

How many of you want to lose weight? I’m sure there are people who read my musings who aren’t on a weight loss journey, like  Jody, SandrelleVicki, and Lori. But there are a lot of people out there who are on a journey to lose weight, and keep it off. In fact one thing I read said that over 60% of American women are trying to lose weight on any given day. And that’s not even counting the men!

Are you a thinking loser? By that, I mean – are you trying to gain wisdom, discernment and victory along your journey? One thing I learned about myself as I journeyed through my weight loss year was that I had a lot to learn about myself, about my life, and about what was important to me. Although I initially started off with just a strong desire to get smaller, I quickly realized there was more to me than what I weighed.

Thinking through how I wanted to lose the weight gave me the opportunity to improve my knowledge of food nutrition, exercise “how-to’s” and healthy eating. Rather than just blindly following the newest trend, I really made an effort to discover what made sense for me, and what I could sustain for a lifetime.

I learned to discern what things were fads, and what suggestions could move me towards my journey. Discernment is a word we don’t hear very often, but it actually is a really interesting word. The free dictionary defines it as: the mental ability to understand and discriminate between relations. And by relations I don’t mean relatives!  With weight loss, it’s the ability to figure out what works, and what doesn’t!

Through a lot of trial and error I learned that cabbage soup does not a good diet make, nor did all protein, or all carbs. I discerned that my body needed a variety of good, healthy foods not only to lose weight, but to maintain my weight.

I counted it as victory every time I made a choice that moved me in the right direction. And when I made a choice that moved me further from my goals, I turned it into a victory by refusing to let it stop me on my journey.

Are you a thinking loser? Are there things you’ve heard, but know they won’t work for you? Have you tried a certain diet plan, but switched to something else, knowing somewhere in your head that it wasn’t right for you?

If you answered yes to these questions, then you are a thinking loser! You are using your God given brain to think through your weight loss. Don’t be swayed by the fad diet of the day, or the resurrection of diets past, but rather take the time to learn, discern and gain victory of your eating habits today, and forever.

Are you a thinking loser? Let me know!  Diane

42 thoughts on “The Thinking Loser

1. MizFit says:

I love the phrase and as I yammer too frequently I believe that our struggles—whatever they are—are so alike.

Im working hard on somethings else right now–not loss—but you nailed it anyway.
    the need to think.
    not look for shortcuts.
    for the quick fixes.
    .-= MizFit´s last blog ..YumYucky! (guest post) =-.

2. Keri says:

I like this phrase a lot, because before I would go along with whatever seemed to be working for my friends. This time I’m trying to make a difference for myself.

• Diane says:

@MizFit – It’s amazing how we so often need to be deliberate and think through things.

@ Keri – Excellent – you have to find what works for you.

3. South Beach Steve says:

Great post Diane. I certainly like to think that I am a thinking loser. Like Mizfit and Keri, I love the phrase, but I have to admit, I didn’t know where you were going with it until I read the whole post. Again, great post!
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Clothes Shopping =-.

My mind immediately went to the fact that my thinking was disordered (related to food) in the beginning.

That I had an addict devil sitting on my shoulder telling me all kinds of things (that weren’t true or would get me in more trouble than I was already in).

I think part of my journey was sorting out when it was that ‘devil talking’ or when it was my ‘disordering eating thinking’ talking and when it was the ‘core me’ talking.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..What’s different? (this is the one that talks about necks, Eustachian tubes, dizzies, migraines, and lighting) =-.

• Diane says:

@South Beach Steve – I think you must be a thinking loser. I’m glad you figured what the post was about!

@ Vickie – This is very insightful of you to be able to discern what voice is the right one to listen to. Thanks for the comment.

5. Hanlie says:

Absolutely! There are those that set of at a dizzying speed and reach their goal without hiccups. It’s all very dazzling, but I believe that we need to think things through as we go along – learn, adapt, accept, grow and change. I have learned so much about myself on this journey… and I continue to learn more and more every day. Ultimately it’s about learning how live and that can’t be done in the blink of an eye.
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..Raw Food Cleanse Update (1) =-.

Great great great post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything you said is right on & I applied it when I was losing weight & just thru the years as my body changed due to age, hormones, change of life etc. IT has always been about “listening” to my body versus what the TV or some celebrity or some fad thing said. If you are consistent, your body will let you know when changes are needed.

Once I got down to “doing it right”, I was never on a “diet”. I was on a plan for life & like you Diane, I found things that worked for me. They might not work for others but they are good for me… and as I said in your comments yesterday, I am a work in progress. Although I am not losing weight anymore, I have to adjust to my body changes, hormone changes & the like so the learning never ends!

You are such an inspiration!

• Diane says:

@Hanlie – Things can’t change in the blink of an eye generally, especially if we want them to stick. So often people that lose super fast gain it back – not always, but often.

@Jody – Thank you! You are so good at explaning how it’s about a life change, and not a temporary experience. You are a great example of someone who has worked their plan through all of life’s changes.

I think I’m a thinking loser…I just need to be more on the side of acting what I’m thinking sometimes. Very good post though, because I have truly learned that no fads or “quick fixes” are going to do the job.

Thanks for the post. I’m on the downside of what I’m afraid will be an “up” week, so I’m just trying to get control of what days I have left before weigh in so the gain isn’t too much. Onward and upward.

• Diane says:

Leah – You are doing well. Don’t get discouraged over some choices you’d rather not have made. Instead get mad, and fix it!! You can do it.

@Amy – Slow is better than none, and often times, the slow weight loss is the one that sticks. Thanks for the comment.

8. Utica Herbalife says:

Diane, excellent post! A couple things that hit me was 1. The second paragraph, you do learn more about your life, when you teste yourself to a weight loss challenge. It is a change to your lifestyle, you have to become better to achieve it.
    2. I love this: “learn, discern and gain victory of your eating habits today, and forever”
    What works for most people doesn’t work for everyone, for me I tried several diets and the herbalife program worked the best for me, but if someone finds something else that works for them, great!
    Thanks for the comment on my blog:

• Diane says:

@Leah – I commented on it!

@Utica – Everyone is different in how they respond to weight loss plans, that is very true! I’m glad you found one that is working so well for you! Thanks for the comment.

9. Janet says:

I think I may be an “over-thinking loser”. I worry sometimes that I over-think every little thing when I am trying to lose weight. To the point of being obsessive. Will I be able to sustain this level of single-mindedness for the longterm? Who knows. It is one of the reasons that I keep a blog. I can ramble on and on about how many calories are in this or that, whether I am eating enough of the right things, and about how much I weigh… without having to drive my husband crazy by over-thinking everything aloud to him, ad nauseum… I do wish I could be more casual and relaxed about it…
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Day 87 – Something I Do Well… =-.

10. Hadley says:

Like Janet, I think it’s possible I over-think things sometimes, but I do strongly agree with you that it’s very important to be a thinking loser. (Love the term, by the way!)

I think it’s incredibly important to figure things out for yourself and pick your own road. At the very least, you need to understand why what you’re doing works and why you want to do it. If your head’s not in the game, you might as well not be playing.
    .-= Hadley´s last blog ..A Grocery Store Disaster =-.

• Diane says:

@Janet – I’m an over-thinker, over-organized, over-everything person too! For me though, because I really did think about what I could do long term, it made maintenance a little easier. I like your blog very much!

@ Hadley – If you pick your own road, then you know if you can follow it for the rest of your life. Very excellent point.

11. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Yes, it’s so important to figure our what works for you, in weight loss (and really the rest of your life). Now, that I’m getting older, I realize that my body is trying to tell me something again, and I really try to listen and figure out how to give it what it needs.
    .-= Andrea@WellnessNotes´s last blog ..Salmon Cakes With A Few Twists =-.

• Diane says:

@Andrea – I think you are so wise to really listen to your body, and make adjustments that you need to make. Thanks for the comment.

@Shannon – I’m so glad you are almost there. In fact, you are amazing!

12. Lainie says:

Hi! I just found your blog – I love it. I’m not really trying to lose weight…I mean, I always feel like I could lose 5 pounds, so that is something I’m trying to work on. I would love to embrace and love the body I’m in – not be constantly striving for more. Wonderful post.
    .-= Lainie´s last blog ..Stonyfield Fairy and a Giveaway! =-.

• Diane says:

Lainie – Thanks for the compliment. I think that embracing your body is a wonderful goal, and who wouldn’t like to lose 5 pounds?! I appreciate you coming by.

@Sagan – Thanks Sagan, it does require thought.

13. Lori says:

Actually, I am still trying to lose some, but I think I have a maintainers philosophy right now. I always try new things to figure out what works for me and what doesn’t. It’s really important to learn from all of that rather than feeling like a failure if a certain diet or plan doesn’t work for you.

I like the term ‘thinking loser’ that you came up with 😀
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..NROLW and Amazing Grass =-.

14. Hotch Potchery says:

It is interesting that you post this today…while on my morning jog, I was mulling over cleaning out my Google Reader because there are some weight-loss blogs that I have been reading that, in my opinion (take that for what it is worth), are handling it in such a way that I am certain will result in being unsustainable. I am tired of feeling bad about my journey when I read about 1 lb losses per day when I KNOW better. Yeah, I am not moving quickly, but I am MOVING and I think how I am working it will serve me well throughout my lifetime.
    .-= Hotch Potchery´s last blog ..empty nesting =-.

• Diane says:

@Lori – You may be trying to lose some, but you have made a total change in lifestyle. A triathalon for goodness sake!! I love reading all that you do!

@Hotch Potchery – I understand what you are saying about some people’s weight loss journey. I sometimes worry that they won’t be able to keep off the weight, but I always hope for the best. Moving is awesome!

15. Alissa says:

This is so true. Just recently my parents were telling me about a diet that you eat only carbs and slowly incorporate other foods in. While losing 20 lbs. in the first month was appealing, I knew that eating balanced and healthy foods is what will get me there!
    .-= Alissa´s last blog ..Weigh in Day!!! =-.

• Diane says:

@Alissa – They were probably talking about the South Beach diet. That wasn’t one that appealed to me, but South Beach Steve (who commented in the beginning) has had good success on it. That’s the kind of diet that you do need to make a long-term commitment to, which some people just LOVE! For me though, I love carbs, so I couldn’t do that one forever!! Thanks so much for coming by!

@She-Fit – There are a lot of crazy diets out there. I’m glad I didn’t get stuck in one of those!

16. Kat says:

Sometimes I think I am an over thinker! Mostly joking here, but I think it is true that we need to synthesis the information that works for us. And we all have a unique process and journey. I hope to god I am learning, thinking and processing this stuff and letting go of the weight once and for all…. Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us Diane!

17. Lori says:

About 3 years ago, I lost about 40 pounds, and I tried to do it the healthy way, but I was pretty restrictive of myself, and was extremely calorie conscious. I gained it back, a lot due to stress, and just not handling it very well. I am again trying to lose weight, but trying to do it with “balance” this time. I’m not counting calories. I’m not weighing myself every day either. It’s still really hard, b/c I’ve struggled with the guilty feelings and defining “good” and bad” foods. The “bad” foods will still be there, and I think changing a person’s mindframe/attitude has a lot to do with how person sees food.
    .-= Lori´s last blog .. =-.

• Diane says:

@Kat – Thank you so much for the comment. I don’t think being an over-thinker is all bad, because I’m one myself! It takes time to process what our own needs are, and what will work for us. I wish you the best.

@Lori – You are right – the change in our mind really does affect how we feel about ourselves. You lost the weight once, you can do it again!

18. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

A most amazing post! I think the reason I was able to successfully lose (and so far maintain) my weight was because I finally–FINALLY!–took the emotion out of the picture and focused on it as in intellectual exercise. It wasn’t easy, but it was far easier than any “diet” I’d ever tried. Much more successful, too! 🙂
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..What Next? =-.

• Diane says:

Cammy – You are amazing! Good for you on taking the emotion out of eating. That is what a lot of people say really made the difference for them!

19. Elora Ramirez says:

First of all, thank you so much for stopping by my site & offering me encouragement.
    Second – this was an incredible post I needed tonight. Yes, I’m starting my own journey, but it’s so wonderful to be pushed & prodded by others who have been there & succeeded! My favorite part:
    such a great word. I’m going to be remembering that these next few weeks & months… 🙂

Blessings!
    Elora
    .-= Elora Ramirez´s last blog ..to be perfectly honest… =-.

20. Sophia says:

“I counted it as victory every time I made a choice that moved me in the right direction. And when I made a choice that moved me further from my goals, I turned it into a victory by refusing to let it stop me on my journey.”
    I LOVED this paragraph. I’m actually looking to GAIN weight, but the same thing applies to me. Giving up and losing hope is the worst thing to do, and now I try to stay positive and celebrate every victory, no matter how small.
    .-= Sophia´s last blog ..High School Reunion =-.

• Diane says:

Tammy – Thanks so much – keep growing!

@Sophia – Keep on working hard on your weight goals. I really am rooting for you. You can do it!

21. teresa says:

I AM a thinking loser. Unfortunately, I’m a little slow sometimes to grasp the concepts, but I eventually get them. I have found over the years that I am a social exerciser, to embrace my competitive side because it helps me stretch, and that I have to involve others in my journey in order to do my best.
    .-= teresa´s last blog ..What’s For Dinner? =-.

22. Kimberly says:

Yes, for the first time ever I am a thinking loser. In the past I was only concerned with losing weight and looking normal. Now I want to do so much more. I want to know why and how things work. Why does interval training work better than just chugging along at a regular pace? Why are natural/organic foods so much better for you than enriched/processed foods. Why is it important to get in 25-30g of fiber per day? I am on a journey now that will never end – even when I reach goal. I am now concerned with total health and fitness instead of a number on a scale (although I do love me some lower numbers on my digital tyrant).
    .-= Kimberly´s last blog ..A Lazy Day And A Smarter Choice =-.