Some Saturday Thoughts

With the beginning of the school year, I always get motivated to organize and clean. So, in the spirit of a clean house I wanted to pass on this link to FlyLady. She is this fabulous woman who takes organizing and cleaning out of the perfection Martha Stewart demands, and into the realm of the ordinary. Her tips are sound, her schedules make sense, and best of all, it’s fun to read her website. So, if you haven’t begun “flying” you might want to check it out!

I love to save money, and for years I struggled to keep up with coupons. I’d often give up, and just buy whatever was on sale. One day, I was once again trying to figure out how to organize my coupons and came across several sites that offered tips and ideas. Here is my current favorite: The Coupon Mom. You can get store specific information on sale items, what coupons to use, and other tips on saving money. But, the absolute best thing I ever did was buy this binder, make some sleeves for the coupons, and organize them by category. It has saved me time, effort and best of all cash!!

coupon binder

This great binder has a plastic pocket in the front, which is where I put the coupons I will use for that shopping trip. When I get up to the cashier, no fumbling around for last minute coupons. They are all ready to go. One more little coupon tip – don’t throw those old expired coupons away. Most stores scan the bar codes, and they really aren’t expired at all! (I’ve never had a grocery store turn an expired coupon down.)

And finally, I wanted to thank Hadley and Tammy and Alissa for the Lovely Blog Awards. There are so many people that I follow and admire, that I found it absolutely impossible to pass them on without hurting feelings. So, just know that I truly am honored, and appreciative of all the nice comments.

My lovely blog award

I hope everyone has a fabulous Saturday. My oldest is going through college orientation. But I’m so thankful she is staying home!!  Diane

26 thoughts on “Some Saturday Thoughts

1. Hanlie says:

Well deserved, Diane! You are such a force in this community!

Thanks for the tip about the theme… I actually investigated this theme yesterday. I’ve been peeking at everybody’s themes!
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..I feel the love! =-.

2. South Beach Steve says:

Thanks for the tips Diane. I would have never thought that about the coupons.

Like you, we are also beginning our school year. We started two weeks ago, so things are really beginning to get in full swing now.
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Computer Issues =-.

• Diane says:

@Andrea – I hate that too, especially the toddler part!

@Steve – Great! We are going to start on Tuesday. I’m ready – pretty much.

• Diane says:

@Amy – I love free things. Whenever anyone calls me and says, “Can you use. . .?” I always say, “yes, thank you!”

@Amos – I used to be awful with them, but after I found that website I got much better!

3. Lori says:

I love coupon mom and flylady! Great minds think alike 😀

I print coupons on Saturday evenings, and then on Sunday mornings when we go out for our traditional bagel, I check the paper bin for the coupon section and look through it. People usually leave that section behind at the coffee house!

Then we go shopping after that.

You are much more organized than I am, though – I admire that.

HI Diane. Good luck with your daughter & the school year upon us with all your kids!

I am on the run today but I will check out those sites you mentioned. I use coupons all the time so your tips are going to help AND I am horrible at organizing so I have to get to that link too!!!!

THX and have a great one!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 51´s last blog ..Saturday Funny =-.

• Diane says:

@Lori – We do think alike! How fun. Great strategy for finding extra coupons. Can you believe we have no bagel shop here? One thing we miss from Florida!

@Jody – You have a great weekend too!

Opps! Before I go, CONGRATS on your awards! You are very deserving of them! I am like you. Quite a while back, I was given something similar but I read so many great blogs that I just could not single out anyone. They all have great things to say!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 51´s last blog ..Saturday Funny =-.

• Diane says:

@Jody – Thanks again!

@sian – It’s been a process. The more kids I had, the more organized I got! If I didn’t I would be awash in clutter, paper, and toys! Have a great weekend!

@Sagan – Thank you so much. Looking forward to your next post, as always.

@Mary – She is! And she is staying home! We are relieved. . .

7. Lainie says:

Congrats on your blogging award! How exciting 🙂 I too love the coupon mom; I try so hard to use coupons but it isn’t always easy. I like your little organizer for them…good idea!!!
    .-= Lainie´s last blog ..Girl Meets Grill =-.

8. Fitcetera says:

I need to get back to Flylady in the worst way. Organization, a clean house and weight loss seem to go hand in hand. Thanks for the reminder, Diane.
    Congratulations on the award… You really DO deserve it.
    You’re one of the most supportive and empathetic people out here in blogland and your presence truly matters.
    .-= Fitcetera´s last blog ..I’m almost afraid to say it out loud but … =-.

• Diane says:

@Biz – I never knew that about coupons. It’s such a wonderful thing isn’t it!

@Lainie – I am very honored by the awards. Seriously honored. . . I love my binder too 🙂 I always get comments on it while I’m shopping in the stores.

@Fitcetera – I’m blushing at your nice comments. Flylady is fabulous isn’t she??

9. Tammy says:

I’m so glad you mentioned coupon mom. I signed up several months ago and have YET to be able to navigate her sight correctly. Also, I’ve printed off coupons before from other sights…and then wondered if I’m spending more on those dang expensive ink cartridges than I am on a 50 cent coupon? One more thing….most of what I buy is from the perimeter of the store…meats, produce, dairy, etc. I don’t buy much from the center aisles, and isn’t that where most of the coupons are for? If I’m wrong, and can be saving a ton of money….email me and let me know…please! 🙂
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Things Are Really Bad =-.