Lunch, Baking, Birthdays

I had a super busy week, but a few special things happened along the way that made me extra thankful for friends and family. I have loved being part of the blogging community and feel like I have developed some real relationships with some of you. But one day I saw a comment on my blog from someone who said, “I know your husband. . .”  I clicked on her name and found Erin, author of the blog “Losin’ It.”  In the way of coincidence, she lives here, and her husband works at the same university that mine does. We connected through email, and decided it would be fun to meet for lunch. So on Wednesday, Erin and I met at Olive Garden and had wonderful conversation and food. Just so you know that I practice what I “preach” neither Erin nor I touched the bread! Thanks Erin for a great lunch!

After I came home from lunch with Erin, I had to make sugar cookies for our small group. Here they are! I only ate 2, 3 or 5. I don’t really remember. . .

cookieplate

And then, if making cookies wasn’t enough baking for the week, two of my son’s celebrated their birthdays. My second son turned 9 and my baby celebrated his 2nd birthday. So our came the baking equipment again, this time for two cakes. My nine year old wanted a Spiderman party, so the girls stuffed a spiderman costume with towels and perched him on a ladder decorated to look like a building. For the two year old’s party I kept it simple and we just decorated with balloons. Happy birthday guys!

spiderman Birthday

Balloon Birthday

In keeping with the tradition of my blog, I leave you with this little thought. Can you bake two cakes, 3 dozen cookies and a batch of brownies in one week and not gain weight? Yes you can! Any ideas on how?  Diane

43 thoughts on “Lunch, Baking, Birthdays

1. South Beach Steve says:

I agree with Sunny, it would be tough, but it can be done. Fortunately, I don’t really crave the sweets that much, so I don’t think it would be a challenge for me. Who knows though, I have always thought that it seems like you can gain weight just from smelling sweets. 🙂
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Tax the Fat Away!? =-.

• Diane says:

@Monica – You can do it by not baking at all, or by just portioning out what you will and won’t eat!

@Biz – Oh, I wish those were my weaknesses. But then on second thought, I guess it doesn’t matter what your weaknesses are, they are still with you!

@Sunny – Thanks Sunny!

@Steve – It does seem like you can just gain weight by breathing in the stuff. At least it seems that way to me!

This is going to sound weird, but while baking , pretend you have an allergy to one of the ingredients ! I developed a temporary allergy to nuts and tree nuts for a time ( still don’t know how or why) , but the rest of the family had no problems with these and loved them. Two favorite things were peanut butter cookies and fudge brownies with walnuts. I would bake them but never even lick the spoon or finger, let alone eat the stuff. I have an allergy to shellfish, my guys LOVE shrimp, crab and scallops, and every once in a while I will make these for them, being very careful not to taste, lick or so forth any of it. Thinking in terms of an allergy is the MOST affective way for me! My nut allergy cleared up , I am once again able to eat nuts, but I am always cautious with doing them in moderation for fear of the allergy coming back again
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..On a roll =-.

3. Michelle @ A Shade of Gray says:

“Can you bake two cakes, 3 dozen cookies and a batch of brownies in one week and not gain weight? Yes you can! Any ideas on how”

My idea: Duct tape over mouth and around the head three times? lol 😉

Your boys are adorable! I have a daughter who turns two in about six weeks. Beautiful cake too – it’s frosted so bakery-perfect!
    .-= Michelle @ A Shade of Gray´s last blog ..Nurturing Balance in Action: September 2009 =-.

• Diane says:

@Michelle – That would work. We have a lot of duct tape lying around here, so I might just try that!

@Big Mummy – Yes, and he loved the cake a LOT!

4. Amy says:

No! I don’t think I could do it right now, so I won’t. That’s my plan 🙂

I will be making chocolate mousse for my Bible study group next week, and I plan to chew gum the entire time. Then I’ll place the finished product in a bowl that’ll make it look obvious if I “try” some (so that should deter me), and I will leave space to include a small serving that evening in my food plan for the day. THEN, I’ll send the left-overs home with one of the other ladies.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Bit Off More Than I Could Chew =-.

• Diane says:

@Amy – Gum always worked for me too. I like all your plans on making sure you don’t eat what you don’t want to. Planning is so important!

@MackAttack – Leftovers are dangerous to me too. Not leftovers of “real” food, but dessert leftovers – definitely.

Loved the pics of family!!!! THX!!! SO CUTE!

Let’s see… bake a flavor you don’t like to keep from eating it???? I know, you have to bake what the kids want so usually it will be something you like too!

Me, I always think about how much more I am going to have to work out OR what food I will have to cut out if I eat too many of these bakes things. I don’t want to add MORE to my workouts since they are already crazy AND I do like to be able to eat more rather than less & enjoy my special treats.

So unless that cookie or cake is really worth it vs. what I would choose for my special treat, I say no.

6. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Yes, you can bake two cakes and tons of cookies and not gain weight! 🙂 For me the key is to have a plan beforehand. I give myself a cake and cookie “allowance” and am mindful of when I’m eating them… That way I don’t “forget” how much I’m eating…

Your boys are sooo adorable! My toddler is turning 2 in four weeks; I hope his cake turns out as pretty!

Have a great weekend, Diane!
    .-= Andrea@WellnessNotes´s last blog ..Tomato Soup with Garlic Rosemary Parmesan Croutons =-.

• Diane says:

@Jody – Yes, baking a flavor you didn’t like would definitely work! I like your idea of equating the food to the time required to work it off! That’s a wonderful idea.

@Lori – It was fun!

@Andrea – Planning is how I handle it too. Oh, two year olds are so much fun!! Everything is new to them.

Andrea and I were thinking alike… Plan ahead and allow yourself a small bit.

Now, I can only speak from some experience, but my birthday back in July I knew I wanted a slice of the yummy cake my 11yo daughters and friend had made, so I took it easy all day and through the bar-b-q to leave room for a slice of cake. I also worked out a little extra that morning. I saw a loss that week too.

It can be done, but carefully!

Lovely post! I’m very visual and love seeing photos and such. Thanks for sharing!!
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..No Discipline Or No Desire? =-.

• Diane says:

@Leah – That was a great example of how you planned, and succeeded with a loss that week. It does take some careful thought, and sticking to your plan to make it all work out!

8. Christa says:

How fun to meet a blogger friend! I am meeting a blogger friend also next weekend. I am very excited.

I am afraid I couldn’t give advice about the how not to gain weight with cookies, brownies and cake…because I have a HUGE sweet tooth and I couldn’t resist if I had it in the house! 🙂
    .-= Christa´s last blog ..Meals for 9/19/09 =-.

9. Laura Miller says:

Okay, I will try it. I saw a Halloween cake in Family FUn magazine today that was adorable. But I decided I would not try it because I would be too tempted to eat all those M & Ms that go on it. However, now I am determined I am going to try it, and will try my best to pretend I am allergic to M & M’s!!! Will let you know how it turns out!!

• Diane says:

@Debby – True! Just baking them won’t cause weight gain. It’s the next part that gets me in trouble!

@Christa – It was fun to meet Erin. She is so nice! Well, you do have some good advice – just don’t keep it in the house!

@Laura – You can do it! Let me know if you need some help getting rid of the cake!

• Diane says:

@natalie – That would definitely do it.

@Marisa – Duct tape works too!

@fittinbackin – You’ve solved the problem. Just don’t bake at all!

10. Julie from Cannes says:

Hi Diane,
    I love reading your articles ; it is always a “source” of inspiration. The 2 boys birthdays parties seems so great and you enjoyed all the “fiesta” without thinking about weight.

I love too the part about how world wild web is in fact a small community where you can have friends near (like Erin) or at least make friends far away on the other side of the ocean.
    Take care!

Julie

• Diane says:

@Kat – I don’t normally do this much baking at one time – fortunately! But we have 3 birthdays in September so I actually have one more cake to make next week!

@Julie – Thank you so much. It is a small world, especially with the ability to connect through facebook, etc!

11. Shelley B says:

Happy Birthday to your boys! They are so cute!

I can bake and not gain – the trick for me is to NEVER take that first taste. ‘Cause if I do, it’s all over! Reference the chocolate chip cookie dough incidents of 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990…you get the picture, lol!
    .-= Shelley B´s last blog ..Blenders… =-.

12. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Mmmm, it all looks so yummy!

If I went to that much trouble and it all turned out so pretty, there’s no way I’d go without sampling. I wouldn’t even want to! I suppose that would mean extensive extra exercise that week and none of my “minor splurges” along the way. Oh, and definitely shipping out the leftovers to someone else!
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..Winner: 101 Things to Do Before You Diet =-.

13. Debbie (Girlie603 on Spark) says:

I am so inspired by your blog. I have a lot a weight to lose and when I think of your success, I truly am in a place where I believe I can do it too. I hope that I don’t lose this current thought process that I have and that my success rings true. I believe it will. I have to believe it will. Thanks for doing what you do.

• Diane says:

@Shelly – That’s a really good point about not taking the first taste. That’s true for me as well, especially with things like cookies. Just so easy to eat one after another!

@Cammy – I do sample them, just in small quantities like you said!

@Debbie – Thank you so much for your nice words. I am so glad to hear that you are in a place where you believe in your own success. I think that’s such a vital piece of weight loss success.

14. Katie says:

I I did make Diet Sprite cake for my husbands birthday, and let his mom make the fatty truly delicious one while I was not around, and then forbid it in our house.

The cookies I am not far enough on my journey to help you with that one, I would have eaten 1 or 2…dozen!
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Thanks Ryan! =-.

15. Janet says:

I do this all the time, because I LOVE LOVE LOVE to bake. I find it therapeutic. I chew gum so I don’t lick the bowl. I’ll have one serving for a treat or dessert, and then pack up the rest and send it to work with my husband. He works for a construction company and most of the guys there love the treats…they aren’t counting calories, and I don’t have to feel guilty about being a saboteur!! 🙂
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Day 126 – Half Marathon Success!! =-.