One Stitch At A Time

Have any of you ever made anything with your hands? Tried knitting, sewing, cross stitch, painting, quilting, or smocking? When I was growing up, my mother was not a very handy person. She knew how to do some hand crafts, but didn’t enjoy them, and hence didn’t pass the skills on to me.

Once I became an adult, I was introduced to the world of hand crafts by my mother-in-law, Deanna. She taught me to sew when I became pregnant, and I’ve appreciated that lesson to this day. Here’s a picture of me about 5 months pregnant with my first child and Deanna showing me how to run the machine. Note the lovely maternity jumper. I had only gained about 35 pounds. I say only, but I still had 3 more months to go. (This was the pregnancy that really started the weight gain!)

sewing0001

In any event, throughout the years I’ve enjoyed the process of sewing, smocking, and scrap booking. It’s fun to take a piece of flat fabric, cut it apart, sew it together, and see a (hopefully) beautiful creation. Last night, my daughter was cutting out some fabric that she is using to make a dress for the Runway for a Cure to benefit breast cancer awareness. As I was watching her, I had a picture of weight loss.

Fabric on a bolt is all wrapped up, tight and restricted. When I was fat, I was wrapped up in layers of fat and felt restricted.

Unrolling the fabric reveals it’s full beauty and potential. Unrolling the layers of emotion surrounding my weight showed me the beauty that was still inside.

Cutting the fabric apart is necessary to make something new. Taking myself and allowing myself to cut out some of the bad habits and emotional baggage I was carrying around was hard, but needed.

Pinning the fabric together before you sew a seam helps get things set for the final product. Sometimes when I was developing new habits, they were just pinned together temporarily, but the pins could slip out until the final habit was set.

Sewing the seams together gives a strong bond, one that will last for a lifetime if properly taken care of. Stitching each new habit, choice, and desire together made me stronger. The habits are locked together like stitches, and can last a lifetime if I take care of myself properly.

The final work and joy of sewing is wearing or using the garment. The final work in weight loss for me was being able to finally be comfortable in the skin I was in, using my body to its potential, and sharing the joy with other people.

Just like Deanna shared her knowledge and experience with me, I share my thoughts with you. But it doesn’t stop there. You share your thoughts and experiences with other people, and the circle widens. One stitch at a time.  Where are you in the process of creating something beautiful? Can you see yourself being stitched together, one choice at a time?  Diane

30 thoughts on “One Stitch At A Time

1. MizFit says:

I always say “maaan I wish I were crafty” when I see friends’ creations (from knitting to pottery) slowly, however, as Im getting older Im realizing we each just have different gifts.

I used to lament that mine is only words.

Now Im trying to weave something beautiful from those.
    .-= MizFit´s last blog ..Breast Cancer Awareness Month. =-.

2. Monica says:

I know that this post was just a fun one, but you know what? It has a lot of truth in it. There are some things that we think have no use, and when we do something with them, they turn into something complegely beautiful.

I like the concept of taking myself and working in a way that makes me new and strong.

3. Sara N. says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, and I am amazed with what you can do with a few words. I’m a work in progress for sure, I’ve lost weight in the past, and am trying hard to lose it and keep it off.

I want to be new.

I always love your posts! I am like Miz Fit.. not good with crafts! Way back when, we HAD to take sewing/cooking in junior high.. we were women so we would need it, right? NOT ME! I was so bad that I conned another friend to make the thing I had to sew because I could not ever figure out how to thread the sewing machine nor anything after that point! Bad, I know!!! And in high school, I did a project on what was expected of women & how I did not believe in it & did not want children. OMG, the teacher had to defend me & he was a man! All the guys & some girls were very mean! As a shy person, I can’t believe I did both.

As for what I am crafting.. I am trying to craft myself into a better person! And, yes, trying to craft a new me with new goals for the future. Yes, kind of late in life, but better late than never! We can say that about losing weight too!

I think I’m between cutting the fabric apart and pinning pieces together. 🙂

I love this post!!! My mother has always been and still is crafty and passed that love on to me. I love scrapbooking, cross stitching and last winter I learned to crochet a little. Now I’m going to try and sew some easy flannel baby blankets with a machine.

Great analogy! Thanks, Diane!
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..HOT 100 – Week 1 Update =-.

6. Deniz says:

Great analogy Diane. I always enjoy reading your posts and this is no exception. I’m still working on sewing those seams but really look forward to the finished article.

I also love your idea that everyone who shares part of their own incredible journey is adding a little stitch to widen that circle. That’s a very motivating thought.
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..Back to normal… =-.

7. Debby says:

I have some purple flannel with monkeys on it. I have a pattern to make a cute, long, flannel nightie. I’ve been putting it off as #1, I don’t sew well, and #2, I’m afraid using the scissors will be too much for my hands.

I’m done putting it off. I put off too many things in my life. I shall think of this post today when I start to cut things out.

Thank you Diane.
    .-= Debby´s last blog ..Just go through the motions =-.

8. Dayhiker says:

Not much to add but agreement with the other posters that this is a great analogy, Diane. I am stitching together my habits this morning by reading on the treadmill as I try to make that a part of the fabric of keeping the weight off. I always wondered how people did that but with a Surf Shelf for my laptop and incline intervals that kicks my butt it is not too hard! 🙂

Rooting for your 5K!!
    Cindy

9. Hanlie says:

I also like this analogy…

My mother makes most of my clothes, which I love, because they’re all unique and fitted to my body, not some manufacturer’s idea of what my body should be like. The best times I spend with my mother are our fabric shopping expeditions…
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..On the mend =-.

10. Staci says:

I have always wanted to try sewing but nobody in my family knows how to do it! I love the way you used the sewing in relationship to weight loss. Have a great day!
    .-= Staci´s last blog ..Soccer After 30 =-.

11. Jules says:

I love the analogy it’s just perfect and fits so true! I personaly can’t sew a straight line to save my life. heck, I sometimes can’t even cut a straight line… and really, that is probably a perfect analogy of my life. 🙂 But I’m learning to accept it and work around it when i can. :)It’s the best any of us can do 🙂
    .-= Jules´s last blog ..Day 2… On track with a little beat down on the side =-.

12. Lola says:

I think I’m in the pinning and cutting phase. STILL. I wish I were wearing the garment, but I know I’ll get there.

You always have the most beautiful though provoking posts. Thanks. (i’m glad I found you.)
    .-= Lola´s last blog ..Bullets =-.

13. Joanna Sutter says:

I knit a little. Very little. But I love it. It helps me reduce stress and brings me great joy. Memories of my grandmother who taught me to knit abound when I take the time to knit.

Knitting, one stitch at a time. Just like anything in life that matters. It takes time, patience, and eventually turns into something beautiful.
    .-= Joanna Sutter´s last blog ..Ray’s for a cure =-.

14. Amos the Lion Heart says:

I’m not crafty either..and always thought I should have been… I like MzFit’s response, we DO have different gifts.

LOVE the analogy though. I call myself an onion girl, peeling off the layers. It’s amazing the emotional, mental journey that coincides with this weight loss journey.

15. Pam says:

Funny you mention sewing – since having my son I have tired for the first time. I made his curtains for his room, and I am *trying* to sew his Halloween costume – wish me luck! I always enjoyed crafts, mostly ornament making and things, but sewing is definitely a challenge, as is losing weight!
    Love the analogy!
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..Looking Back On September =-.

16. Dana says:

I can remember my Mother had a sewing closet. She would stay up till all hours sewing mine and my siser’s Barbie clothes every Christmas. that is a sweet memory. thanks!