Get Away From Me Temptation

The other day, I wrote the post asking the question, “Are Certain Foods Addictive?” You all had many, many great comments on the subject. One comment struck me as humorous, and it was from Joanna Sutter. She said, “Peanut butter is one of my weaknesses. I broke up with peanut butter again last night as I was eating it by the spoonful. Not acceptable! So, I squirted dish washing detergent inside the jar and that was the end of that.”

Later that morning when I was Twittering, I asked Joanna if the peanut butter jar was empty. She said “No, it was 2/3rds full.” We then had a funny exchange about some of the ways we have sabotaged “dangerous” food so as to make it inedible and out of our reach.

Some of you may be thinking, “What in the world are you talking about Diane?” Here’s what I mean. When I was 305 pounds, I never considered not finishing a cake, eating a dozen cookies at one sitting, or inhaling bag after bag of crackers and chips. Once I started the piece of cake, then I must finish it.

When I finally started to get control of my eating habits, there were times when I found myself eating something I really didn’t want to eat. It was almost as if I were on auto-pilot. Once the plane took off it was hard to get it back down to earth. I remember one situation, where the girls had brought home tons of candy from a birthday party. All day long, their bulging goody bags kept winking at me from the pantry.  I resisted until after dinner, and felt a tiny bit guilty as the little plastic bags crinkled loudly as I reached my pudgy hand in the bag in search of the Hershey miniatures and kisses. I ate piece after piece until I stopped and forced myself to really look at the little pile of shiny foil wrappers lying on the couch next to me. There were still many pieces of candy left in the bags, but I didn’t want to eat anymore. What to do?

I took the goody bags, placed them in a plastic Ziploc bag, placed that bag into a Target bag, knotted the Target bag several times, then placed that bag into a garbage bag which I also knotted. I then took the bag out to the garage and threw it up on top of a high shelf. There. Out of sight out of mind. Seem extreme? Maybe. Effective? Yes.

Here’s another technique Joanna shared with me:

• When at Cheesecake Factory, she deliberately dropped her fork on the floor so she would quit eating.

Here’s another one I’ve tried:

• When I was feeling out of control with eating cookies, I put the cookies in the trash and dropped a raw egg on top of them.

What’s your take on these techniques? Do you have any “get away from me temptation” techniques that you have used which may seem extreme to those of us who haven’t struggled with control over food? I think we would all like to hear them. Please share!!  Diane

40 thoughts on “Get Away From Me Temptation

1. 266 says:

I only started this in the last six months or so (read, during my successful weight loss period) and I don’t do it very often since I more aim to not have things in the house that are too tempting. Anyhow, I crumble/destroy/smoosh the bad foods into the garbage; I did this with most of a piece of birthday cake just last month. Also, when baking, I put the bowls with whatever delicious frosting or batter residue is left immediately into the sink and fill them with water. These may be extreme techniques, but in a pinch they work.
    .-= 266´s last blog ..Sad =-.

2. Monica says:

Sometimes I buy sweets without meaning to, and I have taken the candy right back into the store immediately. The clerks look at my funny, but I just know I can’t have it in the house right now.

3. Sara N. says:

It’s not so much that I need to get rid of sweets, but sometimes leftovers. I sometimes find myself nibbling, nibbling, nibbling. Then I take it and put it down the garbage disposal. That takes care of that.

4. South Beach Steve says:

I know it doesn’t help once the eating has started, but not ever eating the first bite is something that empowers me. Like I said, as soon as you eat the first bite you are done for, but it is easier to avoid that first bite, than it is to stop.
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Making Good Progress =-.

I was once hungry for a certain kind of cookie. I took them off the shelf at the grocery store, removed the wrapper and put it in the cart so I could pay for it, ate TWO, and then put the tray/package in the employees’ break room. When I got to the check out – I explained what I had done and asked if someone would eat it in the breakroom – and she said SURE they would eat anything and no one would give a second thought to ‘where did it come from?’. I would NOT do that now – because I no longer feed other people JUNK.

And I no longer bake or make a whole pan full of JUNK for my family. And I do not let my mother do this either. When one of the kids gets hungry for something – I go to the bakery and buy ONE piece for each kid. Sometimes they choose one each of two different things and split and share.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Amazing how much easier life is when I have the whole month instead of half of it =-.

6. Lola says:

OMG – this man from my job brought this to die for homemeade German Chocolate Cake. I always allow myself to have a bite of someone’s “specialty” item. I got a small sliver. I got a bite. Then another. Then another. Then I squirted Lotion all over it and threw it in the trash.

And I would be lying if I didn’t also admit that I did look a the cake – IN THE TRASH – WITH THE LOTION and wonder if maybe there was an edible portion still left. LOL.
    .-= Lola´s last blog ..Unexpected Good Things =-.

For me the urge is rare, but when it hits I either toss the food into the freezer,squirt it with dish soap or crawl into a bath. I have never ever eaten while in the tub and I tell myself I am too old to start doing that !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..A little bug told me =-.

8. Yum Yucky says:

Semi-unrelated, but when my cousin and I were kids, we would sometimes fight over one piece of candy. I’d try to grab it out of her hand and we’d tussle for awhile, but then she would lick the food/candy so I’d have to give up trying to get it from her.

Yes, gross, but that’s what kids do.

Good thing we don’t like candy anymore. That would be a weird adult food fight to witness.

9. Joanna Sutter says:

I love reading these stories!

Other tips/tricks I use:

– I am left handed so I eat with my right hand in order to slow myself down and really “taste” my food.

– Someone recently told me that if you drink a glass of room temperature water before you eat it fills you up faster (even faster than cold water). It works. Don’t ask me why, but it works! 😉

– I had a big craving for ice cream this Summer and I cannot be trusted w/ an entire carton of ice cream. I was delighted to see Edy’s Light Slow Churned come out with mini…ok, macro sized containers. Talk about portion control!

– For baked goods, I bake then separate immediately in to individual portion sizes and freeze. Eating a frozen piece of pumpkin bread or a cookie takes a extra time and energy…which is a very good thing!

BTW, I recently found natural peanut butter in 100 calorie packs…that’s helping with my portion control issues. 😉
    .-= Joanna Sutter´s last blog ..I’m a light weight =-.

10. Amy H. says:

I’ve thrown so much stuff away, it’s sick. We have an alley, so if it goes in the dumpster, it ain’t coming out. Also, I ask my husband to take stuff to work if I feel I can’t be around it.
    .-= Amy H.´s last blog ..Macaroni Salad is Evil =-.

Too funny post but also not too funny in another way! Me, I just throw the stuff away… not even all those double & triple bags like you do Diane .. cause once it hits the crap in my garbage, I don’t want to eat it after that. Mostly I will just throw it out in the outside garbage vs. the inside. That is it. I do that to this day when something is just too tempting & the hormones are ranging & taking control of my mind! 🙂

12. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

When I was eating too much, salty snacks were my biggest problem. I learned not to buy them as they were too big a temptation. I did end up throwing a few bags away because I would have eaten a giant bag of chips in one sitting (and this did happen too)…

Over the weekend hubby bought a huge bag of Salt & Vinegar chips (my favorite) because he had some friends over. I was able to stay away and didn’t even have one. I guess time truly makes a difference, and your actions around food can get “normalized”…

13. Robin says:

It’s funny, that’s kind of what I’ve talked about today. I was also thinking about how I had some ice cream last night. I remember eating it and realizing I didn’t want it and it wasn’t doing anything for me. Guess what? I still ate it. Sigh, another thing to add to my list that I need to conquer.

14. Janet says:

I often throw things out. I remember once I had my parents over for dinner for one of my kids birthdays and I made a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. We each had a slice for dessert. There were probably three slices leftover. I asked my parents if they were interested in taking any home and when they said no, I dumped it in the garbage. My Mom was HORRIFIED! “Janet!!! You are WASTING perfectly good food!” (I guess she came from a generation when you never let anything go to waste… EVER). So… to prevent waste, I should do what? Eat it and be unhealthy and unhappy? I don’t think so! Sometimes wasting food is justified, to me…
    .-= Janet´s last blog ..Day 143 – Having Bizarre Dreams =-.

15. Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit says:

Sometimes you have to take a “burn the ships” approach to foods you can’t say no to. My kids whined loudly when I quit buying their fav snack foods, but the truth of the matter was that I was eating more of them than they were. The unexpected upside to me banning these foods (for my own selfish good) was that my daughters have started eating healthier as well. Win-win, I say.
    .-= Jack Sh*t, Gettin’ Fit´s last blog ..The Fountain of Youth =-.

16. brenda says:

I like the idea of tieing the chocolate candies in a bag, tied in another bag, tied in another bag and put away on a top shelf…must remember that lol
    I don’t do this much anymore, but once I had to throw away 3/4 of a chocolate cake in the garbage and pour bleach on top of it…not a proud moment but it was something that HAD to be done lol
    great post!!
    .-= brenda´s last blog ..thrifty thrusday (Pancakes!) =-.

I’ve enjoyed reading the comments. I can’t remember if I’ve ever done anything very extreme, but I’m going to keep the “pour dishsoap or lotion” ideas handy in case I need them in the future.

I know that I’ve learned it’s okay to not finish everything on my plate and then scrape what’s left into the trash. I also try to not take that first bite that may lead to many more if I’m not careful.

Great ideas everyone! 🙂

18. Leslie says:

Hi Diane – Love this post and comments. I’ve done the dishwashing liquid many times. I’ve also tossed cookies and donuts out the car window into grassy or wooded areas (the wildlife is entitled to a little sweetness!). It feels pretty funny to open the passenger window when I’m driving and eject offending food items right out. I’ve missed a few times and had something splat against the side of the window. I never litter, just toss food that animals will eat.

The psycho bagging up of the candy is a great idea. I had done something similar with my scale, putting it in the attic, up on a shelf and then shoving boxes in front. But it’s back in my bathroom now. I missed the trigger food post and am going back to read it. I have quite a list – insert frowny face.

19. Deb says:

I don’t have HUGE problems with addicting foods as I rarely bring them home (THAT is the biggest step for me – we live 15 miles from town, so if I don’t have them in the house, I can’t just run out for them). But I have been known to rely on my compost container – anything that goes in there is WAAAAAY inedible the instant it touches down.

20. Jules says:

There are only 2 things that work for me.
    1. I just don’t buy what i know I will eat. I stick to the things hubby and kiddo will eat, but me… I must be in crazy mode in order to eat, cause I despise the type of food it is. it works… rarely has it backfired on me.
    2. placing the devilish item in the trash… with no wrapping, and then tossing other trash on top of it…

i think we all have our tricks. personally… if I really want the darn thing, no amount of bags (or tall cabinets) will keep me from getting it and tearing into the bags. I’ll even risk my own neck to reach it (as my family swears i’m a monkey at heart).
    .-= Jules´s last blog ..Benefits of being poor =-.

21. Menden @ Skinny Menny says:

Great ideas, haha!

When I’m at a restaurant and I KNOW I’ve had enough/way too much to eat, but there’s still more food on my plate, I’ll put my napkin on top of my plate. There’s something that seems just…wrong…or desperate…about eating food on a plate with a dirty napkin on it, ya know?
    .-= Menden @ Skinny Menny´s last blog ..Ka-POM! =-.

22. Hadley says:

I throw out food all the time. It took me a bit to get over my “but that would be wasting food” hang ups, but it’s been well worth it. Sabotaging food is a smart, smart move.

Generally, just tossing it in the trash is enough for me (I’m not the sort to pick things out of there), but I’ll admire you for the added raw egg commitment. Finding out ways to control our urges, however we do it, is the way to win this long term.
    .-= Hadley´s last blog ..A Parental Visit, Laced with Fear =-.

I’m so glad I am not the only one who does this, I always feel like a freak when I have to sabotage my own food! My weakness is leftovers the kids don’t eat, like oatmeal, so when they are done I rush over to the sink and fill the half-eaten bowl with soapy water so I won’t eat it.

I feel guilty even typing that!
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..Mini victory blurb. =-.

24. Beth says:

This technique is essential to me! I use dishwashing soap or sometimes put the food into a bag of used kitty litter. Less drastic approaches are sending the treats from book club home with the members, or buying something I don’t like. Last time, I bought Raisinettes, which I don’t like, so I was NOT tempted to eat them. Next day, I took them to work and they were gone in a flash. I can’t leave them around the house because even if I don’t care much for them, I’ll still eat them if I am in binge mode.
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Progress and Wariness =-.

25. Lori says:

I do “out of reach, out of mind”. My husband will put anything that is triggering me up on top of the cupboards so that I would have to drag a chair over to get to them, which is usually enough to stop me. Sometimes the top of the cabinet gets pretty full LOL!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Bike ride video and be a good egg! =-.

26. Barb says:

I can not be trusted with certain foods around the house. Mostly sweets and “kid” cereal. I learned the hard way not to bring Golden Grahams home. I couldn’t seem to keep my hand out of the box. Not to long ago I bought the kids some cinnamon cookies. They didn’t really care for them, I kept going back for more…until I put them down the garbage disposal. I’ve often had to resort to ruining food. Not just putting it in the trash….but really destroying it. I wish I didn’t have to resort to that…but I do. Glad to know I’m not the only one.
    .-= Barb´s last blog ..Good Times! =-.

27. MackAttack says:

I haven’t thrown a fork on the floor, but that’s a great idea. I have asked for half in a doggie bag. That helps a lot. Mostly I just don’t allow for things in the house. The only foolproof plan.
    .-= MackAttack´s last blog ..Snow Way! =-.

28. MamaBearJune says:

My son needs high fat, high calorie foods so I’ve just had to work on my own will power. I can’t toss out good food because he NEEDS to eat it. I have told him to put some snacks in his room! 🙂
    .-= MamaBearJune´s last blog ..Over the Top =-.

29. DownsizingDoc says:

Never thought of the dish soap – good idea. Tricks I use:

1 Avoid bringing it in the house in the first place
    2 Feed it to my dog
    3 Throw it outside for the birds/squirrels ( I live in the country)
    4 Take it to work and leave in the break room
    .-= DownsizingDoc´s last blog ..Beautiful Day =-.

30. Chris says:

I read blogs like this one…today I felt a Hagen Daaz craving and so I went to a different supermarket where I won’t know where they are. I made a list of things to get and stuck to the list. Not bringing stuff into the house works. Sometimes those little portions of things work, but NEVER with chocolate or icecream. I’ve tried!

31. Rebecca says:

My mother told me once that she was really tempted to eat a danish that my dad bought. He called it “body putty” and she didn’t want to eat it then! Later she was tempted again by the same danish and put it in a bowl of water. Then she couldn’t eat it and flushed it down the toilet. She said if you can’t wash it, you shouldn’t eat it! Not sure I totally believe that one, but still…
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog .. =-.

32. zaababy says:

Stick it in water, soapy water if at all possible! I made brownies and the yummy goopy beater was calling my name so I stuck it immediately into my sink of hot soapy water. No way was I going to eat that now! And the frosting pan? With the whisk and spreading spoon calling my name? I stuck them in the sink and immediately scrubbed them all. I feel sometimes as if my worst enemy is myself! Nice to know I’m stronger and more determined than my old me. Love this blog!
    .-= zaababy´s last blog ..Day 143–Early weigh day, 25 weird questions and much rambling like I always do =-.