Weekend Thoughts

I was thinking about working out and exercise this morning and realized that it’s the weekend most of us here in the US turn back our clocks. Since I live in the mid-south, this means it gets light at about 5:30 a.m. That’s perfect for me because I like to walk/run in the early morning but don’t really like exercising in the dark. When I started losing weight as a morbidly obese women, I walked in the dark every morning and never thought a thing about it. As I lost more and more weight I began to worry about walking alone in the dark and stopped going quite so early. I think that true or not, I felt like the “bad people” waiting around the corner in my neighborhood wouldn’t have bothered a 300 pound Diane. (Not that I ever saw a single person that early anyway!)

It’s still interesting to me that my self perception was so tied to my weight and appearance. I honestly felt less safe as a fitter woman than as an obese woman. The same feelings held true when I had to go shopping by myself at night, or travel alone. I think that I also pulled along those feelings of safety in my food choices. It was safer to eat and get bigger than it was to be a more fit/attractive woman. Strange isn’t it? That’s my little bit of weight loss/maintenance encouragement to you on this weekend. I encourage you to not fill yourself up with food to feel safe physically OR emotionally.

Work hard to fill yourself up with positive food choices, good self talk, and meaningful relationships. That’s how you will feel safe, secure, and confident in the new you.  Any thoughts on that?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In other news:

On Sunday I’m heading off to Dallas to experience a blogger Immersion put on by Frito-Lay. As most of you know I’ve been featured on the Frito-Lay corporate blog and have done a guest post for them. They invited me and nine other bloggers to come tour their facilities, meet their chefs, and learn about the company. I’ve never done anything like this before, so I’m very excited. They even sent a Quaker care package so my family wouldn’t starve while I was gone!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

And finally:

While I’m gone on Monday, I will have the most fabulous guest post ever. It will answer some of those email questions I get all the time like:

1) What did your husband think while you were losing all your weight?

2) Was your husband amazed at the transformation?

3) Did you drive your husband crazy with your obsession over diet and exercise?

4) Was your husband ever critical of your weight gain and morbid obesity?

Now, three guesses who my guest poster is! That’s right, my hubby John, who is a great writer, will answer some of those questions and more. I made him promise to be nice and although I *must* review his post for spelling errors, I promise I won’t change the content at all.

I hope you all have a fabulous weekend! We are going to try and get rid of these awful green onion things in our yard, take a trip to a museum, and enjoy some family time!  Diane

37 thoughts on “Weekend Thoughts

1. Monica says:

I’m so excited to hear your husband’s thoughts on your weight loss. My hubby doesn’t really believe it’s going to happen for me.

And have a great trip to Dallas!

2. Sara N. says:

I think it makes perfect sense that you would not have been nervous exercising in the dark when you were heavy and then got nervous later. I think I would be the same way. I don’t want to be held back by fear. I want to be free from all of this.

3. MackAttack says:

I think most of us gained weight because it was safer. Instead of being hurt/rejected by the world, we hide and become invisible. Many victims of sexual assault gain weight to be less attractive to their attackers. It’s interesting how much influence our subconscious has over us!
    .-= MackAttack´s last blog ..Dessert First =-.

4. Amy says:

I can’t say I’ve ever felt protected by my fat physically. Emotionally, certainly, the extra food that got me this way offered some help in stressful times; just the WRONG type of help. Working on that now 🙂 Can’t wait to hear your husband’s thoughts. Makes me wonder what my own would say of me…

Diane, first, how exciting about your trip to Frito Lay!!!! I can’t wait to hear all about it! AND, really looking forward to your post from Hubby!!!! How exciting!

As for “feeling safe”, I do get that thought process BUT as women we need to know that all sizes & shapes are not safe so do your due diligence when out & about!

But, yes, those emotions & other things can really toy with us so filling yourself up with positive people & felling is key. I need to work on the positive self talk & away from the negative stuff.. even after all these years! Ongoing process.

6. Bearfriend says:

Hi Diane. I’ve rarely ever been worried that someone would physically attack me – but then I live in a place where that sort of crime is rare. I always worry about stranger’s disapproval of me though when I am bigger. So in my case I feel safer as a thinner person.

Can’t wait to read your hubby’s thoughts!

Hope you have a great time away. And thanks for your support as ever Diane.

Happy Saturday to you,
    Bearfriend xx
    .-= Bearfriend´s last blog ..A is for …. =-.

7. Lori says:

My weight has always been tied to my self perfeption, and I have always struggled w/ my self-esteem. I have gotten better w/ it, but there are still occasions where I’m extremely down on myself. Going to a Christian counselor has helped a lot w/ that. But even though I’ve lost 30 pounds, am at about 170, it’s still sometimes hard for me to see myself as being “okay.” I guess it’s the past creeping up on me, and having a hard time letting go.

My husband and I both eat old fashioned oats (real oatmeal) every single day for breakfast – 365 days a year. And a serving of oatmeal has almost (6g) a full serving of protein in it. When we add our milk – it is over a full serving between them. I actually eat an egg white omelet also. So I eat the whole grain carbs and double protein each morning. I think this is really important for ME in both weight loss and maintenance. So real old fashioned oatmeal product IS something that I support.

I will probably be the lone voice today with the rest of my comment –

6g protein is the absolute minimum that I will buy/support in a cereal. And obviously – I am also looking for the sugar to be as low as possible. As I looked over the list of Quaker products – I am not sure than ANY have a full serving of protein (7g). Maybe I am wrong – but I specifically looked at one of the items that was marked ‘protein’ and even it did not have 7g. So if you have a chance – I would like to know WHY. It makes no sense to me to get kids in the habit of eating CARBS for breakfast without a full serving of protein.

And – how do you feel about being surrounded by processed food and having its ‘virtues’ glamorized by marketing people? To be very honest – a lot of it looked like glorified cookies to me. Because if it is processed carb without a serving of protein – that is basically what it IS.

PS – I did not realize that Frito Lay owned Quaker. And then when I actually looked it up – they are both owned by Pepsi. “Frito-Lay is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc. In addition to Frito-Lay, PepsiCo’s principal businesses include Pepsi-Cola beverages, Gatorade sports drinks, Tropicana juices and Quaker foods.”

• Diane says:

Yes, I can see exactly where you are coming from. As you know I have no ads on my site, and do no reviews. I feel the opportunity to write occasionally for Frito-Lay’s blog gives me the chance to put my point of view about healthy snacking out there. The purpose of this trip is to introduce us to some of their healthier snacking products like SmartFood popcorn clusters and Flat Earth chips.

I think it will be very interesting to see all that they have to say. And as a mom to seven with very limited opportunities to travel, I’m looking forward to the chance to see Texas for the first time.

I hope you have a great Sunday and I appreciate your honesty as always!

And I don’t think that I particularly noticed that I felt safe fat – but I did. I was VERY scared without the fat for a long time. I am not overly scared now – but I am cautious. And with my most recent poundage drop – I did NOT go through another scared spell – it was only the first. But I think the first lasted through the whole first year of maintenance. I was actively scared that whole first year. I was seeing my therapist then and was on meds through my psychitrist and that helped my anxiety. I think I would have had a hard time with maintenance had I not been seen at that time.

and I think it is DARLING that your husband is posting. I am hoping that if it works out well – there might be other topics that he might address from time to time. Do any of your kids even remember you fat? My guess would be no – because you only had the first couple and they would have been small. My oldest barely remembers and it has not been that long for me.

Diane, that’s very interesting about your self perception and walking in the dark. I’ve not thought about that before, but I know that I did feel better when I looked more like someone people might take a second look at. Interesting…

Well, enjoy your trip. What a neat opportunity. I look forward to reading the guest post on Monday.

Enjoy your family time!
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Hot 100 – Update October =-.

12. Leslie Erickson says:

Hi Diane – I can’t tell you how relevant your post is for me, regarding “safety”, or insulation, at being a larger size. That is a topic on which I’m reflecting a lot now, as I have been on that self constructed plateau for a couple of months. I’m v-e-e-e-e-r-r-r-y slowly moving down the scale again, but am aware of the depth of my mixed feelings about it.

Can’t wait to read your hubby’s post! I’ll be in the DR then, but will hopefully have internet access quickly so I can see what he has to say!
    .-= Leslie Erickson´s last blog ..Chores and Checklists =-.

I wanted to thank everyone for their well wishes! I hope that you enjoy John’s thoughts tomorrow. He was a bit nervous to write something for the blog.

I’ll be checking in as I can – have a great Monday!

14. Tyler says:

Diane – I can’t wait to see what your husband thought. As the heavy one in my relationship I wonder if my girlfriend has feelings about my weight struggles. Probably.

15. Kat says:

Thank you for the wishes to fill up with positive thoughts and positive choices. I like that concept…:-)
    Have a wonderful and safe trip. I am also looking forward to your guest post.

16. Larkspur says:

Diane, you will be a wonderful addition for them. Hope you have fun.

I think there’s a lot to be said for the protective effects of fat. It keeps people from scrutizing you on the beach– just another weeble-style mommy, move along, nothing to see here! Volley/tether/basketballs don’t hurt when they collide. You’re just not that delicate, and though fat is no real protection in most attack situations, fat people are often fairly strong (you have to be, lugging all those extra pounds). My husband’s cousin, who was a 300 pound chef, survived a robbery in his kitchen when the knife was too short to reach through his fat to anything meaningful. I think size is a subconscious factor in how people evaluate threat. Smaller people do seem more vulnerable, whether they really are or not. (Think Bruce Lee!)
    .-= Larkspur´s last blog ..Hot 100 Update =-.