50 Days Left!

Time Is Ticking

I know it seems impossible but there are only 50 days until January 1st. Fifty days people!! I was talking to my kids the other day about the fact that there were so few days until 2010 and I thought it would be fun to share with you one tip a day starting today. After today you will find the Tip of the Day in the sidebar over there somewhere!  <—–

The stores have been decorated for weeks now and like it or not holiday season is officially here.  Regardless of how you celebrate, I’d wager a guess that most of our celebrations have something to do with food. I know ours does.

So what’s my first tip of the season?

Tip Number One:  Have one basic health and wellness goal.

I know it seems simple and redundant, but it bears repeating. If you have a goal in mind throughout these next six weeks you can be successful. And to be successful you will need a plan. We all need to plan how we will handle the holiday season on all fronts, from shopping to eating. From handling the relatives to finances. For many of you, and myself included, staying healthy and fit over the holiday season is important to me. If you are on a weight loss journey then perhaps losing a pound or two or simply maintaining your current weight is your goal. Or maybe your goal is just to get through the holiday season without losing your mind! But whatever the goal, it’s necessary to plan how to reach it.

The thing about this time of year is that it’s not just one day. Valentine’s Day tends to be just one special day – a special meal and maybe some chocolate. But Valentine’s Day isn’t typically celebrated for six weeks straight like we tend to do around November and December. So if you splurge on Valentine’s Day there’s really no harm done. If you splurge every day between now and December 25th you could possibly do some harm to the progress you’ve already made.

When I was on my way to morbid obesity I used the calendar as an excuse to bake, eat, and eat some more. I not only volunteered to bring sweets to every event we attended, but I made double sweets. One batch for the family (mostly for me) and one batch for the event. Even while I was cooking the cake(s) I’d eat junk. Chocolate cake in the oven, M&M’s in my hand. Cookies in the oven, chips/cheese in my mouth. It was crazy. Was I sometimes embarrassed by how much I ate? Oh yes. But I NEVER ate much in front of my friends because I didn’t want them to think I was a pig. (Convoluted logic if I’ve ever heard it!)

During my weight loss year I did plan on losing weight during the holidays. I didn’t lose a lot, but I did lose a few pounds and kept up my exercise program. I was happy with that.

So if I asked you, “What’s your basic goal from now to the end of the year?” What would it be?

And the second even more important question is: “Is there anything you need to change to make that goal a reality?”  Diane

48 thoughts on “50 Days Left!

1. Sara N. says:

My goal is to maintain my weight. I don’t think that I can lose because I’ve just got too much going on, but I can maintain. I’ve never maintained before so that’s my overriding goal for now.

2. Monica says:

I love your idea that there are only 50 days left in the year and that you will give us a tip a day. I need it because I really want to keep losing and not regain the good work that I’ve started.

I know you didn’t ask, but I’ve lost 20 pounds since I’ve been reading yours and other people’s blogs. You are really a true inspiration to me!

one of my most EMPOWERING years – I had surgery the first week in November. I was not released for exercise until the first week in February.

It was my first year of losing and I was quite ‘green’ behind the years. Absolutely did not understand about so many things on so many levels. This was also pre-therapist and pre-psychiatrist and pre-correct meds. So I was not EVEN at all.

I held my weight that year. I did not gain ONE pound through the holiday season. And I can’t tell you how many times (after that) I thought – If I could do it THAT year, when everything was new and hard, then I can do ________ now.

I don’t think of it as a hard/difficult time. I think of it as an empowering time.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..My GO TO Alteration Shop Lady (Not really a customer is always right kind of person, maybe a customer needs to get a clue kind of person) =-.

My plan is to stay the course with low carb eating through the holidays. When invited I bring a dish to pass and I will make it true to my program so there is at least one dish there I will feel safe about. For exercise we are planning on keeping up with what we are doing, plus adding a holiday twist to it. Several neighborhoods in our area put on big light displays, and this year we are going to bundle up and tour them on foot to see all the lights . It’s better than doing it by car.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Green tea and what’s to eat =-.

5. Lori says:

I’d like to say that I’d like to continue to lose weight, but it may have to be to have balance. I tend to either restrict or go overboard when I can’t take it anymore. I’m still working on my goal of being able to run 2 miles (I’m up to a mile most days.), and I’m hoping to be able to continue that. I know that when I eat cruddy, I have a harder time running, so that’s another reason not to go overboard!

6. Marcelle says:

I’m so aware of this time of the year myself…and keep telling all my members on my group that soon its Xmas and if they are not sticking to their programs now they are sure not to over the festive season….and that worries me for their sake.

I have all my ducks in a row….I have no family here its only Hubby and I this year so I will buy and cook all the good things. My hubby doesn’t do cakes, biscuits etc so makes it easier for me..
    We plan to go away for either Xmas or New Year ( busy planning ) and one of my MUST have’s is a hotel with a gym as I want to still be able to train – and will be training during the festive season – even if I have to use my indoor bike – but I’m not going to allow myself to be like I have every other year…I am going to make this one the first of the new me…
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..Mid Week Catch Up =-.

7. littleswallow says:

Funny you mentioned the new year. Every year on January 1, everyone comes up with a slew of “New Years Resolutions” which always irked me because by February 2nd you know people have probably broken every single one. I read somewhere someone mentioning that rather than waiting for the new year to “resolute” to lose weight…they’re going to start the weight loss now and *begin* 2010 in the best shape of their lives. I think – genius! I am definitely gearing up for that challenge! On January 1st, 2010 isn’t going to know what hit it!
    .-= littleswallow´s last blog ..Sometmes it’s the ppl who love us the most that end up hurting us =-.

8. Jody - Fit at almost 52 says:

I am with you Diane.. the holidays are stressful due to food, finances & family. As much as we love family, it can turn into some major stress!

I plan for health all year round so I just keep doing the same thru the holidays. I keep up my exercise & eat well unless I plan for otherwise & usually I come out fine & sometimes with a loss even though I am not trying to lose now…. well, with the woman hormones, I am trying to get it together! 🙂

My one goal: Survive the hormones in tact AND figure out what I want to do with my life or at least a first step by year end.

I maintain my health and fitness program all year round so the holidays do not disrupt it much. I do take the holidays in small steps, however, focusing on short term goals, and that seems to make it all easier for me.

10. Mia says:

What a great idea, Diane! I love the idea of getting a head start on our “resolution for a better me”. It is ONLY 50 days! We can do anything for 50 days! (And by then, it will be habit!)

Goal:

Maintain healthy eating lifestyle! (No over doing it on the sweets!)

How:

No eating between 8 pm and 6 am. (This means I need to cut down on my coffee as it disrupts my sleep and then I like to have a midnight snack!)

Drink 8 glasses of water a day.

Get my 5 fruits and vegetables, my 3 dairy servings daily.

And exercise, 60 minutes 6 days a week.

Weigh myself daily!

I will write these down and tape them to my bathroom mirror for the next 50 days!

Mia

11. Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie) says:

I haven’t set goals in YEARS — mostly because I never really achieved them, as they always revolved around “losing weight and getting healthy.” I’ve since learned that goals like those are too broad and easy to miss, and it’s better to set lots of little goals on the way to your big goals.

My little goal for this year is to NOT make food the raison d’etre for the celebration. I do not need to bake to be a good person. There will be plenty of people baking this year, and if I feel that baking could become a stumbling block on my journey, I won’t do it. Alternatively, if I really want to bake, I will only do bariatric-friendly recipes — and there are a TON out there! Sugar Free syrups, powders and potions are totally available. So, bake if I want to; don’t bake if I don’t want to. Feel no guilt either way. Enjoy the company of friends and not the company of food.

My other goal is to continue fleshing out my big goals for next year (I have a couple). I need to work on the game plan, set milestones, figure out what it will really take to achieve it, then go for it. I have not set goals in YEARS, so this is a very exciting time.
    .-= Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie)´s last blog ..I Took The Easy Way Out =-.

12. Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie) says:

Oh, and my health and wellness goal will be formulated after my doctor’s visit tomorrow. I’ve been painfully hindered by a shin splint or — what I suspect is a stress fracture — so my exercise regime has come to a grinding halt. It didn’t happen overnight.

When the pain first started, I was bound and determined NOT to let it get to me. I continued to work out — but just did different things. I had “hurt” myself hiking, so I gave that a break for about a week, and then restarted slowly. No good. Still hurt. So then I shifted to just walking on level ground. Still no good. Then I tried elliptical — some success and then — WHAM — pain is back. Then I tried cycling. Good — but then the pain came. Icing…massaging….heat therapy…elevation….orthotics. Nothing.

So, about 1-1/2 weeks ago (it’s been sheer hell since then), I gave it ALL UP. Everything. I’m doing nothing (I’m extreme like that) until I hear what the doctor has to say. Once I meet with him, I plan to return to the gym for upper body work (AT LEAST.) So, I guess my health and fitness goal is to get diagnosed, get treatment, and get my feet back under me so I can return to the active lifestyle I’ve come to love!!!

Sorry for the second post. I’m like that — ha ha.
    .-= Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie)´s last blog ..I Took The Easy Way Out =-.

13. Sunny says:

I’ve come too far to let a measily little thing like “the holidays” steer me from my appointed path! I plan to lose 15 lbs. (or thereabouts) by January 1st. So there will be a couple of days eating a few things more than normal. No biggie. The path to success is that I will NOT indulge in the daily goodies at work. They simply aren’t worth the numbers on the scale! It’s a committment to myself. I feel better losing weight than any momentary “ahhh” moment I might get from eating those holiday goodies.

Oh, and did you ever announce the winner of your contest? Sorry if I missed it.
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..BL Contest Week 8 Weigh-in: 18.5 lbs down! =-.

14. Stacy says:

I hope to maintain my weight, definitely. I’m not a big “baked goods” sweet eater for some reason. I love sugary substances, but I can bake my homemade peanut butter cheesecake for a family event and go home not having eaten any of it. It’s all the savory appetizers that do me in, I guess. So, smaller portions and not eating until I’m overfull is my plan.
    .-= Stacy´s last blog ..The newest crafting adventure…a knifty knitter =-.

15. Robin says:

The goal I really try to focus on, which I have some of the hardest time with, is eating more protein. I try to remember it but don’t always.
    .-= Robin´s last blog ..TOM =-.

16. Hilary says:

My goal for the end of 2009 is to hit my short-term weight-loss goal of 175 lbs by January 1. The underlying goal beneath this fairly concrete one is: stick to my program! it’s working!

A secondary seasonal goal is to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas Days without letting them spill over into what and how much I eat on all the other days of the “season.”

I think I am reasonably on-track to achieve these things. I’m giving it my best.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..The 180s Are Halfway Beat =-.

17. Erin says:

Diane – First of all, thanks for your comment yesterday on my blog! My basic goal is actually two-fold. Eat less, move more! I want to drop a few by December 31st!

18. Fran says:

My only goal is to keep on going like I’m doing now. There will be bad days but most days are good.

We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving but we have 2 Christmas days and we celebrate New Year’s eve. I intend to eat healthy till January 1st and beyond and on the three holidays (it’s only three days lots of days left to eat healthy) I may eat what I want. Hmmm just remembering I’m having Christmas lunch at work so that makes 4 🙂

I do have to say that a few years ago I bought way to many food and snacks for the holidays but the past years I just bought the food we were going to eat for dinner and just little snacks for in between.

But first I have to deal with the 3 dinner dates and birthday of the hub in these next 2 weeks 😆
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Tuesday November 10 2009 =-.

19. Debbie P says:

Diane,

Thank you for the kind remarks you left on my post “HELLO!!! I’m Dieting Here!!!” As a result, this has led me to your blog.

WOW! 150 pounds? Terrific! I’ve read thru some of your past posts and found you to be truly inspirational! You must be an amazing person to be raising five boys, too!!

I can’t believe the year is almost over! I will continue to read and will be looking forward to your tip of the day!

Thank you again!
    Debbie

My goal is pretty simple – since I already want to ring in the New Year at 199, I have to work to achieve that, which means I need to stay within my daily calories pretty much every day nut Thanksgiving and Christmas, themselves. I did it last year, I can do it this year!
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..It is NEVER too late. =-.

21. Pam says:

Can’t wait to see the nuggets of wisdom that you share with everyone!
    My only plan is to have lost 100 pounds by my birthday (December 8th)….other than that, I will take it as it comes!
    I also can’t believe we only have 50 days left in 2009! Where did it go? You mean I have been living healthy for almost A YEAR?????
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..Post Halloween Horror =-.

My goal is to lose something…anything…and yes, of course, something is going to have to change, because I”m not seeing losses lately.

*sigh*

I also am going to enjoy the holidays without having to enjoy TONS of goodies and food.

I look forward to seeing your tips! 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Happy Veteran’s Day =-.

23. Lance says:

Hi Diane,
    This is so good for me to read. In fact, just last night, I was thinking about how I have to re-focus my health goals. So that’s it for me right now – and specifically – make exercise a priority.

Thank YOU!!!
    .-= Lance´s last blog ..Deeper Connections =-.

24. karen@fitnessjourney says:

Great post. One way my husband and I get through the holidays without a lot unhealthy habits developing is to plan a beach vacation for early January or February. It’s amazing how much less enticing that Christmas cookie or piece of pumpkin pie looks if you know you’ll be wearing it on the beach in a couple of months.

I’ve also recently signed up for personal training. It’s great to have a knowledgeable source to design a plan that is right for me.
    .-= karen@fitnessjourney´s last blog ..Get to the Core of the Matter =-.

25. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

My basic goal from now until the end of the year: focus on the ones I love and take care of myself by eating well and exercising (and not the food, everything that has to get done, the stress…).

As always, great post. You are so right; it’s so important to have a plan; having a plan really does make a difference!

26. Evelyn says:

Diane
    I love the tips idea! The question that got me thinking was what are you going to change to get to your goal?

Thanks for another thought-provoking post!

27. mamajuliana says:

My goal is to not fall off of the weightloss fitness wagon all together! I might not loose a lot over the holidays…but I promise I will not gain! (IT seems the past month my scale does not want to move much…anyway)

I also have to promise myself not keep my commitment to exercising daily. Life will get nuts at work and at home, but I have to tell myself to keep moving!
    .-= mamajuliana´s last blog ..Not a footin’ fieldtrip, but a fieldtrip just the same! =-.

28. Kat says:

Hi Diane! I want to bust my plateau and start dropping weight again. My stretch goal at this point is 15 pounds, but I will be happy with 10. I am looking forward to your tips!

29. Menden @ Skinny Menny says:

Oh my goodness, only 50 days left in the year?? Wow, this year has just flown by.

I really like that you suggest having ONE goal to work toward. I have a tendency to set a zillion goals for myself, never really tackling one big goal at a time.

So my goal is to stay consistent with my workouts, no matter what 🙂
    .-= Menden @ Skinny Menny´s last blog ..Making “Me” a Priority =-.

30. 266 says:

I’m finally getting caught up!!! I am so happy to be back reading your blog, Diane! I have missed your insightful posts very much. I really enjoyed your story about the 285 pound football player. Until starting this journey I weighed more than all of my friends – females and males – and have only recently been confident that I am now less than about half of the boys; I still have a long way to go, but comparisons like that really stick in your mind. I also loved your post about pregnancy since I am planning on trying for children in the foreseeable future. It is definitely reassuring to know that it is possible to relose the weight I will gain during that time. Sorry I missed your giveaway, by the way, but congratulations on reaching 5000 comments! You have obviously touched many, many people with your words. Also, I think it’s so cool that Frito-Lay had you come to their facilities for a tour and it sounds like you had a pretty good time doing it, which is great. Love your 50 tips idea!
    .-= 266´s last blog ..Short And Not So Sweet =-.