No New Clothes

“I don’t want any new clothes,” I’d tell John when he asked if I’d like to go shopping. “Why not?” he’d ask. “I’m losing weight,” I’d say. Then he’d try and encourage me to get a few things just to tide me over until that magical day when I finally lost weight would arrive but I staunchly refused. I did not want to buy new clothes and there was no way he was going to make me!

So instead of buying some new jumpers to “tide me over” until the weight magically fell off I’d continue wearing my old, faded, too small tunic tops which I paired with an unattractive pair of stretch knit pants.

Why didn’t I want to buy new clothes? And when I say buy new clothes I don’t mean an entire new wardrobe, but perhaps a top or two, and maybe another pair of larger stretch pants. We wouldn’t blow our budget by spending $25 dollars on some fresh plus sized clothing. John was trying to gently encourage me to look my best at the weight I currently was.

What held me back? There were a few things.

• I honestly desired to lose weight
  • I felt embarrassed shopping in the plus sized departments
  • I hated the clothing styles
  • It felt like I was giving up

Buying new, bigger clothes made me feel as though I was giving up. So I desperately hung onto my old faded, bleached out articles of clothing just hoping I would magically be able to buy a regular sized pair of pants again before I died. That’s really how I felt. My poor clothes began looking worse and worse. They got too tight, they were unflattering, and because I hung onto my extra 150 pounds for 10 years, went out of style. I often had to resort to wearing big men’s t-shirts which, believe it or not, were tight. Here’s one of them. (It’s one of three articles of clothing I saved after I lost weight.)

Really Big T-Shirt

Unfortunately, no matter how hard I resisted, I eventually would have to give in and buy a few new items of clothing. But then the unthinkable happened. I couldn’t fit into the clothes in the store anymore. Oh, the 3X and 4X shirts would fit (barely) but there were no pants that were carried in department stores that fit. So I stopped buying pants at all and made jumpers. It was hard.

Now I really didn’t need to go shopping because I couldn’t. When I outgrew a jumper I just sewed another one. Here’s a shirt I used to wear under many of my jumpers – whether it looked good with them or not.

I wish I hadn’t been so adamant to wait to spend some time and money on my appearance until I thought I “had it all together.” I look back over those years with embarrassment on how some of my casual clothes looked. I wanted to encourage you to spend a little money and make sure that you look and feel the best you can right where you are. Feeling good about yourself shouldn’t be tied to just your appearance. Feeling good about yourself should come from loving who you are right where you are.  What are your thoughts on the whole clothing issue while losing weight? Buy or wait?  Diane

If you are interested, check out my family blog! Just posted pics/recipe of whole wheat pancakes and what the kids thought!

49 thoughts on “No New Clothes

1. 266 says:

I would buy clothes as I gained weight, but they were almost all very simple and plain. Jeans and t-shirts are still what I mostly wear. I think that rather than the sense of practicality that I convinced myself I was using the garments for, they actually provided cameflouge. For a long time my attitude towards clothes was that if I wasn’t dressed remarkably I wouldn’t be noticed (and apparently I thought that was a good thing). I’m working on changing that thought process and realizing that a little attention is okay, but I still have a long way to go.
    .-= 266´s last blog ..Beware! =-.

2. Miz says:

yes yes yes! and I found so often with my clients that the mindset you described above was yet another way they were punishing themselves.
    lots of it was wanting to wait until theyd lost some weight—and some of it being the fact they felt they didnt “deserve” new clothes until they were “skinny” (their word)/
    .-= Miz´s last blog ..PLAYout not WORKout: hopscotch (video post). =-.

3. Michelle says:

I totally agree with you. When I was losing weight, over 100lbs, I would go to consignment shops and get nice clothes, which may or may not have been worn and feel like a million dollars.

Since I’ve gained about 25lbs back I haven’t bought any new clothes in almost a year. Maybe I will get a new outfit when I am home. It actually may lift my spirits a bit about having to wear things which ‘cover’ me up. I think that I am afraid I wont lose the weight if I have those clothes that maybe a bit bigger. Now that is a stupid thought.
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..Do you want Beef? No, I am Vegan this week! =-.

4. Yum Yucky says:

With more weight on me, I bought where I was at. Ironically now, I barely buy, because I’ve somehow lost myself as a priority. And that’s another kind of trouble. Geesh.

I have a man’s hoodie that would very much the same if I held it up – and that is the only thing that I saved.

I have bought a few (and I mean FEW) tide me overs. As we speak – I have ONE pair of pants. Literally one pair.

I think it is important to buy something that fits. But I feel strongly about not buying too much. I think that we can get very attached to these tide me overs. And then I think it is a mixed message that we are sending to ourselves – about losing the rest of our weight. And I always suggest good will or used clothing stores as a good place to buy a few well chosen things.

I can’t tell you how strongly I feel about getting rid of the ‘under grown’ clothes as we transition down through the sizes. As you said – one or two (or your three) ‘see how big I used to be and how much I have lost’ pieces are okay – like museum relics. But nothing to WEAR. No security blankets. No self sabotage.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Thanksgiving 2008 Recap =-.

6. Lara (Thinspired) says:

Love that photo–you are so gorgeous, Diane!

I know this is off-topic from the post, but when you mentioned you kept three articles of clothing, it caught my interest. I have saved several pairs of jeans (only a few sizes bigger than I am now) that I just can’t let go of for some reason. I think it’s fear that I might need them again!
    .-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..From The Manor to The Haven =-.

7. Alissa says:

For me, going shopping as I’m losing weight is inspiring. I am able to shop at Old Navy again and that in itself is reason to lose more weight! 🙂 By the way, you look amazing! It’s hard to believe that you fit in that other shirt at one time. So inspiring!

8. South Beach Steve says:

I do not buy clothes unless I have to. The thing is, I am expected to look professional at work, so I have to buy more often than I would on my own. Evidently it is not often enough though. I have had my boss make comments to me in the past that my clothes look like they’re falling off of me. Note to self – this means you have waited too long.

BTW, I agree with Lara – you really look fantastic! Seeing you next to a former shirt is a great example of what you have accomplished.
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..Motivation For Monday =-.

9. Monica says:

Wow! You are beautiful and that shirt is huge! I suffer from the same mindset that you are describing. Who cares about me? It’s good that your husband was supportive and encouraging.

Although I know it’s important to look nice and feel good I hate clothes shopping.

10. Amy H. says:

I just bought some new clothes and it feels great! Why did I wait? Mainly because I didn’t want to spend the money, then have to buy more clothes in a few months. Then I realized at the rate I’m going, it could be awhile and I’m tired of wearing the same old raggedy pants. Plus, I really don’t like looking at myself in the mirrors at the stores. Glad I did it, though, because I feel and look better.
    .-= Amy H.´s last blog ..Quest for Normalcy =-.

11. Lori says:

I was similar to that, in that I didn’t (and I guess I still don’t) want to buy new clothes, b/c I didn’t want to spend the money until I was a smaller size. I’ve only had about 2-3 pairs of jeans in my size, b/c I didn’t want to spend the money for new pairs (though I would spend money on junk food…). I’ve never really enjoyed clothes shopping, but I guess I’m learning to…

Diane, I love that pic of you with that shirt! You look awesome! A really important post! I watch What Not To Wear & they encourage people to look good no matter what their weight is & not matter what stage of weight loss as looking better usually makes a person feel better. I have to agree. I really don’t buy clothes just do to $$ issues & I know that when I have had more money for clothes & I felt better no matter what! I think a small purchase here & there along weight loss is a great reward to oneself rather than food.

Keep forgetting to tell you that I love your 50 Tips AND the family blog is great! Need to spend more time checking it out!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..GIVEAWAY! 6 Week Cure for Middle-Aged Middle =-.

13. Sunny says:

Actually, your post sounds more about whether to buy clothes as you are denying about gaining weight (when wanting to lose), rather than when actually losing weight. 😉

Re when losing weight….I had a ton of clothes in the size 10-12 range, and I’ve been wearing that, with a few new tops. I started throwing out larges. As a statement to myself that I was not EVER going back to that spot again. And this weekend my husbear painted our master bedroom closet, so I went through every single item and tossed all of the larges that were left. But, now that even the 10-12’s are getting lose, I’m not buying anything until I’m done…because done is about 20 lbs. /few months from now, and it would truly be a waste. But hoo-yay when I get there! An entire new wardrobe coming my way! I’ve got $300 saved from my Sept. bday, I’ve told everyone I only want cash for Xmas, and if I win the BL contest at work next week (or half of it?) I’ll have $300-$600 more. Plenty to go to town late winter/early spring! I CAN’T WAIT!
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..GOODBYE, 140’s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cya! Don’t wanna be ya! =-.

14. Deniz says:

I hated clothes-shopping so much, and didn’t want to buy ANY clothes at all while I was still big, or worse – actively gaining weight, so hid as often as I could in men’s baggy shirts, tee-shirts and anything dark-coloured I could find to ‘hide’ my bulk. That said, the few photos I have show that my ‘hiding’ wasn’t actually very effective and I looked a) noticeable and b) dreadful. Ho hum. But, I didn’t care – maybe it was because, back then, I thought I deserved to feel bad when I looked so bad (in my eyes). My lovely hubby despaired and reacted with glee when I ‘had to’ buy something ‘nice’ for work.

Then, when I began to lose weight this time, I didn’t want to ‘waste’ money on ‘new’ clothes while I was still losing and changing shape. So I set off in earnest with my lifelong devotion to the UK charity shops. Being able to buy some really pretty ‘next size down’ clothes at amazingly low prices suited me fine – who cares if someone else has ‘enjoyed’ them before me and they only lasted a matter of months before they were too big.

And now? Well, I could buy new clothes in those ‘normal’ shops I used to look longingly at, but I still don’t want to. Can’t quite shake my obsession with the charity shop prices, I guess. My lovely hubby just cannot believe he STILL has a wife who has to be dragged (practically kicking and screaming) to look for brand new clothes.

What has changed is that I take more pride in my appearance now and try to make the best of myself – even though there are bits (like my tummy) that I still don’t like at all. I no longer dress to hide myself. I wear bright colours, I look after my hair and wear perfume. I draw the line at make-up, but I think that I may even be morphing into a girl at last! That attitude might stay with me even if I gained some of the weight back (no plans to do so though).
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..Quit fooling yourself =-.

15. Leslie says:

Very relevant post from you today for me, because just yesterday I bought several pairs of pants to accomodate my “smaller” big size. It felt good, but also conflicting. I find that when I finally get something new that fits more snugly to my slightly smaller contour, I hear comments from others noticing the weight loss again. I hate when the old clothes hang baggily, but it is hard to chunk out money when I’m still not where I want to be.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..A binge unfolds =-.

16. Rebecca Hoover says:

What a great post, shopping sucks soooo much when you feel fat but you’re totally right.
    This is the first step to caring for yourself, loving yourself. I wish I had done that back then, how mean we are to ourselves.

17. Marcelle says:

I cant believe seeing how small you are today that the t-shirt you are holding belonged to you…not not possible I say!!!

You are a shining example to so many out there that the weight can come off and can stay off….that’s my challenge at the moment but making sure I win…

Thanks so much for sharing.
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..My Weekend =-.

18. Melissa says:

I did the same thing on the opposite end of the spectrum. While I was losing, I only bought a few items when I had to. I didn’t want size 8s and 10s hanging around in my closet. I didn’t want it to be easy to get back up to that size. I refused to buy clothes until I got down to the size I wanted. However, I looked pretty ragamuffin in the process.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Snuggly =-.

I’ll never forget when I “gave in” and started buying larger clothes. I landed a TV host job just as I hit my highest weight. I’d been putting off buying new clothes for a while, but desperately needed professional items I could wear on air. So I finally broke and bought some nice, expensive items, in the largest size I’ve ever had to purchase. It was heartbreaking, to grab those bigger sizes, and then to see myself on television wearing them on top of that. Buying those clothes definitely felt like I was “giving up” and okay with being overweight for the rest of my life.

Little did I know that not even two months later I would get the jumpstart I needed and start losing the extra weight, and then some! It took me a long time to part with those big expensive items, but it felt good when I finally gave them away and splurged on dress pants and shirts half that size 🙂

Oh, but can I just say losing weight is expensive?? Damn!! I would love to show my new smaller body, but can’t afford the clothes to do so!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..It’s Sunday… Check-In Time! =-.

20. Hilary says:

I did buy clothes to fit my larger size, but I might have put that off longer if I didn’t work in an office where I have to look at least semi-presentable ;). Part of the reason I have mostly put off buying more than the work and casual basics for my larger body is because I am short . . . on me, plus size dresses are always way too long. So I am waiting until I lose more weight before I try to shop for more fun-type trendy dresses and such.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Two Months In =-.

21. Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit says:

I’m currently playing a game at home I call Last Pants Standing. It started with a closet full of slacks and jeans that were all too small for me. Once a month, I pull out the stack and try ’em all on. I started with thirty to forty pair and am down the the final two (one of which were a pair of jeans that I bought as “final goal” pants. This weekend, I could snap them, but decided to wait another week and give it another go before calling it a done deal.
    .-= Jack Sh*t, Gettin’ Fit´s last blog ..Now’s the Time for Resolution =-.

22. Staci says:

Great post. I am going through the same thing right now!!! I want to look better, because I am feeling better about myself, but I do not want to spend the money on new clothes when I still have more weight to lose! Right now I am trying to hold off a little longer until I can get to my goal weight of 130.
    .-= Staci´s last blog ..People Noticing Changes =-.

23. Mia says:

Clothes really play with the psyche and mine is flawed from the years of dieting. When clothes fit tight, even if they are a decent size (ie. size 8/10 for my 5’8″ broad shoulder frame) then I feel FAT! Even if I am at a lower weight! I like my clothes to fit a little loose because then I feel skinny! Weird!

I too believe that as you loose weight, you need to clean out your clothes of the larger sizes. This is one more way to affirm your weight loss is a permanent life style change.
    No “just in case” clothes.

24. Rebecca @ Durch Dick und Duenn says:

i so rarely shopped when I was bigger, mainly because I couldn’t fit into some of my favorite stores, which meant I had a very limited supply of work and weekend clothes.

now that the weight is coming off, i go shopping whenever I can, I still struggle with my proportions but I love that I can wear skinny jeans tucked into boots, or cute little skirts, it’s become addicting!!
    .-= Rebecca @ Durch Dick und Duenn´s last blog ..Weigh-In #19 =-.

25. Shelley B says:

For years, I had very few clothes that fit as I was gaining my weight – I’m talking one pair of jeans and maybe 3 shirts. It was pitiful and I looked the same for every occasion. I finally decided to accept my size and bought a decent wardrobe – and it was great to have some clothes that I felt good wearing, even though I wasn’t happy with how big I was.

Then about a year after the big wardrobe purchase, I finally decided to lose the weight. And had the same problem on the way down – very few clothes that fit. And that was when I wished I’d saved the clothes that I’d outgrown on the way up…but no such luck. Oh well. I look at it as doing my part to support the economy!
    .-= Shelley B´s last blog ..I’ve Written This Post In My Head Many Times… =-.

26. Theresa says:

For me the stretch pants were a tool to hide the fact (from myself) that I was gaining. A person can do a lot of stretching in stretch pants! It was only clear once I HAD to buy a new pair….. the same size did not fit. Same with undies. :O

When I look back at how horrible those stretch pants looked (especially with saggy underclothes too) it breaks my heart that I dressed like that. I’m not at my goal weight and I’m certainly a bigger size than most of my clothes in my closet so it is double tough to want to buy bigger items. I find that when I do buy larger sizes I go TENT sized. What do you think that means? I never want to go bigger so why not go super sized now? This is very thought provoking and I thank you for making me take stock in this issue.
    Hugs,
    Theresa

Clothes for me are a really funny thing , and it is not because of size. I am a very hands on person who does a lot of work in the kitchen, painting, doing handicrafts, housecleaning and so forth. Because of this, something is always getting stained and such. Therefore I keep one or two outfits that are classic cut and fabric in my closet for those occasions when I have to “dress like a grown up” and anything else has to be functional, comfortable and expendable. I look at clothes and ask how it will look with paint splatters, stains from herbs or ink marks on it, then ask if it is flammable or if it can get caught on something. If it passes those ideas, i buy it. These days not a lot of clothing passes my fireproof or not getting caught on something standard, so I skip it. I tend to be either home, at the library or grocery store most times so it is not an issue really.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Me vs the buffet =-.

28. Erin says:

I had a plentiful wardrobe when I was heavier. Shopping was much like food, it was comforting. I hunted for the cutest plus-size clothes, and interestingly, I had many pieces that were pretty sylish. As I’ve lost weight, these items have disappeared from my closet – I couldn’t bear to keep any of them, ‘cute’ as they were. The moment a shirt was too big was the moment it was placed in a box headed for Goodwill. I haven’t kept ANYTHING except a few sweatshirts/hoodies that I’ve had since high school. Right now, I’ve got a very small wardrobe…being in the middle of my journey, I don’t see the point in accumulating such a voluminous wardrobe if I’m only going to slim my booty right out of it again. I have ONE pair of jeans in my current size, and that’s all I need! Every time I slim out of a size, I reward myself with a new pair of jeans!
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Inches and Whoops! =-.

29. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

I had only a few outfits when I was really heavy. I just couldn’t afford new clothes for one, and I hated how they all looked on me. Of course, I blamed the clothing manufacturer and not the extra 100 pounds 😛

I have 1 shirt and a pair of jeans from that time period just as a reminder of how big I used to be.

Shopping for a new wardrobe is really expensive, and when you have a lot to lose, you go through a lot of sizes! My saving grace was consignment shopping. I fully believe that you should get clothes that fit along the way (up or down) because when you dress well on the outside, it really helps the inside. I think our outside body habits can reflect a lot of what is going on underneath.
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..Quick cook method for steel cut oats. =-.

30. Fran says:

Funny, I’ve talked about this some time ago on my blog and you responded to that too. At that point I said I didn’t want to buy new clothes because I was losing weight.

Right now I’ve bought a dress and a blouse in a smaller size (both vintage and cheap) and said to the hub tonight I probable sell something on the internet this weekend which is too big.

This makes me realize that I’m confident enough about myself that I will keep losing weight because I’m ready to sell the clothes that are too big.

So I would say: buy a few new things when you’ve lost enough to fit in a smaller size even though you haven’t reached your goal because it makes you feel good. M
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Sunday November 15th 2009 =-.

31. Kat says:

I am a big believer in trying to present the best image regardless of weight. I have bought fewer clothes recently, but have started to buy more accessories. It is amazing how the right accessory can really put together a look. Diane, I love that you saved that t-shirt. Look how far you have come! You are an inspiration!

32. Larkspur says:

My gosh, I can’t get over how great you look. (Sorry. Gushing.) I actually did spend money on my clothes before, and I am having a lot of difficulty reining myself in now. I have my clothes color sorted in my closet. I keep wanting to buy stuff but I am (hopefully) still in an interim size. I thought 12 would be about right and maybe it will be, but I have some 12s now and I’m definitely not done.
    .-= Larkspur´s last blog ..You Lose Some =-.

33. Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie) says:

It’s really painful to remember the clothes I had to wear when I weighed 316 pounds. They all involved drawstrings, elastic waists and fabric with lots of stretch and “give.” I hated clothes that were too constricting (or touched my skin) because it just made me think about all of my rolls — yuck. The sad thing is, it was so hard to find things that fit, I’d end up buying things I didn’t really like and paying too much for them. Then, I’d wear them until they were worn out and repeat the cycle all over again.

I did keep one pair of jeans — size 28/30 — just so I wouldn’t forget how far I’ve come. I can stand in one leg of them. Heck, my HUSBAND fits inside them WITH me — and he is NOT a small guy!

I’ll never forget the day I tried them on — just to see how they “fit.” Instead of jumping for joy, I was mortified and embarrassed. How could I have been SEEN in public in those hideous things??? I could not believe I used to fill them up — completely and snugly. Instead of celebrating, I just wanted to crawl under a rock and die. It was quite disconcerting.

So, I put them away for a year.

But, about 2 weeks ago, I pulled them back out of the bottom drawer and tentatively slipped them back on. My reaction was entirely different this time. For starters, I was THRILLED that I could still stand in one leg — even a whole year later. But my next reaction was the one that mattered most: Who’s got a camera!? I need a PICTURE of this achievement!!!

So, how do I feel about those fat pants now? They belong to someone else. As a matter of fact, I have no idea why she left them in my dresser drawer, especially since she won’t be back for them — ever!
    .-= Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie)´s last blog ..OOPAH! THE GREAT GREEK YOGHURT CHALLENGE =-.

34. Marisa (Trim The Fat) says:

Can I just tell you how fabulous you look?!!

Unfortunately, I did keep buying clothes as I got bigger. It helped me feel a little better when I had to go somewhere if I had something new on.

Now that I’ve lost weight, I have been giving things away to Goodwill and it’s strange that when I look at these clothes, I realize how awful they were – new or not! They were not me or my style at all, but I guess they fit and that’s all I cared about! Definitely not sad to see them go!

35. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Yes, I think we should definitely take care of ourselves wherever we are at the moment. I think feeling as comfortable as we can in our clothes is really important. I have worn clothes that were too tight and didn’t fit right because I had planned on losing weight. I believe that not feeling good in my clothes actually contributed to my staying at the higher weight a bit longer. I think if we take care of the way we look, we are much more likely to take care of our health as well. There is nothing worse than having to walk around in ill fitting clothes all day long… And you are right, it doesn’t mean we have to buy a lot of new clothes; just a few items that fit will do and make a huge difference in how we feel…

36. Debbie P says:

Wow! I cannot believe that shirt was ever worn by you. In the words of Billy Crystal as Fernando Lamas “You look marvelous!” You are such a wonderful inspiration! I’m glad I found your blog!

As you know I’ve been overweight my entire life. However, during my times when I was dieting (which has been most of my life) I felt the same way about shopping. I thought it was a waste of money to buy clothes, only to not be able to wear them a few months later.

I changed my mind when I realized it made me feel good about myself and the way I looked when I finally got into smaller sizes. Now I have to buy most of my clothes at one of the “fat stores” online. I look forward to the day to be able to buy off the rack! A dream come true!

I think people should buy nice clothes that fit them no matter the size. Dressing “ugly” will not help your self esteem one bit.

I’ve said it before, but learning to love myself no matter my size was the first step that eventually led to my trying to lose weight. In fact, a year ago we were planning a three-week trip to visit both our families for the Christmas holidays and I bought some new clothes, because I decided I was going to look cute, no matter my size.

During one of my weightloss attempts I had shared with a friend of mine that I was going to dye my roots when I reached a certain weightloss goal. She came back to me a few days later and gently suggested I not wait to do my hair until I reached that goal, because I would continue feeling ugly with my dark roots getting bigger and bigger if I didn’t reach that goal. She said her opinion was that we should look our best while working on weightloss and not set those kinds of rewards for ourselves because we’ll only feel worse if we don’t reach the goals quickly. I hope I’m getting across her point well. It was very true.

This is a great post, Diane. I know that now as I’m losing weight I’ve been afraid to buy a necessary pair of pants or skirt, because I was afraid I’d lose the weight and then the money, but I decided to just do it and look my best where I’m at. If I lose so quick that I felt I didn’t get my $20 worth out of the pants, then I can always sell them on eBay or something, right? 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Taking Responsibility =-.

38. Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42 says:

I so, so, so GET this! I’ve been going through the same thing. I had one pair of pants that eventually had a tear between the thighs. I told my friends I refused to buy new pants until I lost the weight. I didn’t want to cave.

It’s near winter, so I caved. I figured my extra lard wasn’t going to keep me THAT warm. I have a post about the day I went shopping “Shopping and the Three-way Mirror” – Oct.

Great post, Diane. And thanks to the great replies.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42´s last blog ..Might As well Jump =-.

39. Dennille Ferguson says:

You look so good! I cannot believe that shirt. You could fit in it about 3 times over now. That picture alone is pure inspiration to the rest of us.

About every 30 pounds lost I got new clothes. I felt I needed to look my best. I may have been fat but I was gonna have nice clothes. I am still paying off the Lane Bryant card. But I never suffered from low self-esteem. I think the clothes helped. But that may also be what took me so long to lose the weight.
    .-= Dennille Ferguson´s last blog ..Exercise Update =-.

40. MackAttack says:

I’m so torn about buying clothes. I really want to, but I don’t want to waste the money but frankly, I get fed up. There comes a point when I NEED to go shopping. So I do. But I take awhile….
    .-= MackAttack´s last blog ..Artichokes =-.

41. my kashi diet says:

well, I think new clothes are a must – you feel better and that p[erpetuates the possitive cycle… however I never buy anything too small – I think it’s negetive, you’re saying to yourself “I deserve this when…” we all deserve to love ourselves NOW not later when a certain number is on our scale
    .-= my kashi diet´s last blog ..some days are just too good…. =-.