Operation Christmas Child

Looking for a worthy cause to contribute to this weekend? This is the final weekend to donate to Operation Christmas Child, put on by Samaritan’s Purse.  This is something we do every year. You can select whether or not you want to send a shoebox (or plastic bin) to a boy or girl and what age. We usually pick boys since we have so many! This year I took all the children shopping to pick out presents to fill our boxes with. You’d be surprised how much you can fit into a shoe box. Some of the things we put in were: T-shirt, hat, toothpaste, toothbrush, pencils, crayons, post-its, notepads, legos, matchbox cars, soap, washcloths, and hard candy. See? A lot will fit into a shoe box!

Here’s the kids before they filled the boxes! Notice the littlest one who really wanted all the stuff!

Operation Christmas Child

Here’s some of the stuff we put in there!

Operation Christmas Child Ideas

If you are interested, I think there is still time to fill up a box for a child of your choice.  I hope that all of us who are blessed with so much will find a few different ways to share with others. Do you have something special you do each Christmas season?  If you’d like to share, I’ll compile a list so others can have ideas. Diane

For information on Samaritan’s Purse click on the picture below!

Operation Christmas Child Brochure

20 thoughts on “Operation Christmas Child

1. Kat says:

What a beautiful family! I think it is so cool to get the kids involved in helping those that need more than we do. We have a local organization and have sponsored a family. It feels so good to help out!

2. Marcelle says:

Such a fantastic idea…
    This year it was the first time the people in South Africa were able to participate in this good cause…I know all the women in my family went to the website chose a child and went out to build up the box…everyone was so excited.
    What a beautiful family you have…you are blessed!
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..I love this! =-.

3. Beth says:

Beautiful family. You have tackled and won the weight loss challenge, at the same time you have taken on a bigger family challenge than most people even consider. Makes me realize that using our life’s demands as an excuse to not lose weight is pretty weak.
    .-= Beth´s last blog ..Back in Business =-.

This is a great idea! Our school does a canned food drive this year. I am keeping my eyes open for what to help with locally. Still on a tighter student budget, but we do what we can!

5. Stacy says:

I have a picture of my kids with their boxes up on my blog today, too! 🙂 We have done it for the past three years. We get a boy box for the boy and a girl box for the girl and they choose what goes in them. It also gives us a chance to see what they would like for Christmas as we go down the toy aisle.

Another thing I did a few years ago, was to throw a “baby shower” for a crisis nursery here in town. I had a whole carload of stuff to deliver to them, especially after my office cleared out some stuff they didn’t want anymore that the nursery needed. It felt really good to give all that to them. I would have done it again this year if it hadn’t been for the fact that my house is in disarray.
    .-= Stacy´s last blog ..Flying by… =-.

6. Babbalou says:

This is a really small thing, but I do it every year. Instead of buying an expensive cut of meat for the big holiday dinner for my extended family, I go through my recipes to find a dish that’s economical but too much effort to make for everyday. And that’s what I make for the Christmas meal. For example I’ll make a fussy recipe for middle eastern chicken with black olives and rice pilaf rather than making a beef tenderloin- which is very expensive, especially near the holidays. Then I write a nice check to Salvation Army, and put it in the bucket outside the grocery store. I figure the cost difference between beef tenderloin for a large group and chicken for a large group provides a complete Christmas for another family. Plus, by making my donation in the form of a check, I can deduct it on my taxes.