Do You Even Remember The Food?

Play!!

Tomorrow is an important day for a lot of us. It’s a time where we can get together with family and friends and celebrate all the many things we are thankful for. Rather you celebrate Thanksgiving tomorrow or are looking forward to an upcoming holiday, I wanted to encourage you to make time to play together. In my family of origin we didn’t do much playing. My folks were a serious bunch and holidays were a little bit sedate. I decided when I had a family I wanted the holidays to be fun.

So in the spirit of having a little fun mixed in with the food, here’s 10 things you can do for fun over the holiday weekend. Notice that some of them are physical in nature! Yes, that is on purpose. Even though you may eat a bit more than normal, it doesn’t mean that you have to sit more than normal!

1. Get out of the house! – Sure it’s fun to sit around and eat, but think about getting out of the house and playing outside.

2. Read a new book! – I just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It was very interesting and hard to put down!

3. Workout in a new way. – Bored with your usual walking route? When visiting with friends and family be adventurous and walk somewhere new.

4. Play games together. Our current games of choice are: Chess, CandyLand, Risk, Cards, and Blocks. (Okay, blocks isn’t a game but the 2 year old likes them!)

5. Check out your local paper for ideas. Even if you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, you may be surprised what’s going on right in your area.

6. Make decorations together. Children or not, it’s always fun to plan a craft activity. You’d be surprised how much fun adults have with a glue gun.

7. Arrange to visit a nursing home. For me, visiting with the elderly is stepping outside my comfort zone, but every time I do it I’m always glad.

8. Write a story in the round. One person starts off the story and passes it on to someone else. As the day goes on the story grows. Read it at the end of the day.

9. Watch some old movies. Okay, this isn’t my thing, but my hubby would love it!

10. Sit around and enjoy each other’s company after you’ve had a good workout. This is my very favorite thing to do!

Some of the best memories I have since I’ve been married are holidays. I don’t always remember what food we have, but I always remember the memories we created together. What memories are you going to create this weekend?  Diane

34 thoughts on “Do You Even Remember The Food?

1. 266 says:

Thanks SO much for the award, Diane! I can’t even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it! Truly, thank you.

Great ideas in this post. Although we are already done with our Thanksgiving, I think that these items are all applicable to every day life, regardless of whether there is a holiday!
    .-= 266´s last blog ..Significantly Appreciative =-.

I have been noticing that many fitness centers/gyms in my area are having ‘Beat the Bird’ or ‘Turkey Blast’ special programs or classes this week. Some are very clever. Like a 90 minute yoga class on Saturday. Or a Bootcamp that was offered every other day this week. Or a step class offered Friday morning.

I have done the craft thing – and that works very well – with a large group and a mixture of ages.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Just because someone hands me something, doesn’t mean I take it. This is a baked goods posting – click on today if it is likely to set off your wants =-.

3. Mia says:

Great ideas!

The whole extended family will participate in a Run/Walk Fund raiser on Thanksgiving morning. We have 19 people signed up! With our own Team T-shirts! Go Us!!

I recently read The Help. Having lived in the south 15 years ago with a sweet woman who “helped” me, it made me ask myself, What was OUR relationship like? We wrote each other after I moved back to the North for a while so I believe that we were friends too. I loved the book and recommend it as a good read.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving. I know I will be thinking of you as I incorporate your ideas into the long weekend. (Reading a book this weekend might be a wee bit difficult!)

Mia

• Diane says:

I love that you have 19 people signed up! How fun. I’m doing the Turkey Trot in our town tomorrow morning, but I’m going alone. 🙁 Last year my two daughters went and ran with me but they’ve both bowed out claiming, “Too much early training!”

Have a great one!

4. Marcelle says:

Diane as you know we dont have this celebration here in Germany or in South Africa…
    But after reading this I see how much I miss my family or my children when they were little…its just hubby and I now..
    But…am not down…its all okay.
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..My Mojo Is Back =-.

So true…. we can do FUN things on turkey day! My family was always about crazy & fun.. and yes the food… loved the food & I do remember it because my parents were such good cooks.. both of them.. BUT we were a crazy bunch & there was always fun & laughter! I miss my parents & those times for sure. SAVOR THEM if you still have your parents alive!

Anyway, thx Diane! Love your ideas on getting it off about it all being a food thing!

6. Sunny says:

Our family loves football, and we are a smaller group for Thanksgiving because of my youngest daughter’s in-law obligations, but/so those of us getting together will spend the bulk of the day enjoying the 3 televised games. Hanging out, laughing, just spending quality time together. 🙂
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..The Results are in! =-.

7. Pam says:

Hopefully, since this is only my second hosting, I will just be too busy with the food and serving to overeat like last year, especially since I wasn’t even WATCHING myself last year and still didn’t.

Love the ideas – I am hoping this coming year to start some sort of healthy tradition, and maybe even for Christmas this year. Thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..Things Happen =-.

In my family the food is memorable , simply because we have had the same basic Thanksgiving meal every year since the Pilgrims were infants in England :-). Afterwords in my family it is always music time. I had a great uncle who was a professional entertainer and he would bring his instruments and we would all have a family sing along. Then it became my job to play the instruments and now we play Karaoke Revolution with the PlayStation , simply because it has gotten too crowded to fit any instruments with all the people. And of course, being family and enjoying each others company it gets very silly and a lot of spontaneous dancing happens as well. I would not change any of this for the world !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..More waiting, new spaces and progress perhaps =-.

9. Robin says:

Great ideas! I think I may go for a walk near my parents house before dinner and I may take some time to read, which I almost never do anymore.

10. Sarah says:

Just last night I found a great hike for my kids and I on Friday morning and I was thinking to myself that I’d like to start a tradition of getting our Christmas tree up this weekend as well (although partially that’s because if I don’t do it now the whole month slips away and pretty soon I’m swearing at it on December 23rd). 🙂 I just wish there were more ways I could plan things that include my larger family. I say what my kids and I do and they are willing to go along, but my dad and brother are a bit more of sticks in the mud and just want to sit and wait for the food, eat, and then go home. 🙁
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Snack Advice =-.

I have always been blessed to have good, fun memories of the holidays both as a child and then after I was married.

We always play games on after Thanksgiving dinner. This year we may also watch a Christmas movie.

There have been years that we went for a walk. Maybe we’ll do that again this year. I know my husband always likes to take the kids outside to play while we clean up dinner.

This is such a great post and I’m going to put a little link to it on my blog.

Thank you for taking the time to write these wonderful posts with the Thanksgiving theme!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Diane!
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Thankful =-.

12. Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie) says:

This will be my first Thanksgiving without my pop. I have a little trepidation about it, but have decided that we will — first and foremost — celebrate him by raising a glass when dinner begins. My daughter asked if she could do the blessing (which grandpa used to do), and I can’t wait to hear what she has written.

It would be really easy to be sad and focus on how much I miss my dad, but you know what? I am thankful that we had the time we had together last year. Hannah’s boyfriend joined us and we played card games and board games and just generally laughed and scratched our way through Thanksgiving leftovers for the entire weekend. My dad “shot the moon” at hearts, and we marveled at how easy it was for him to ‘reel us in’ while playing hearts. The thing I most remember is when Kevin (Hannah’s then-boyfriend-now-just-good-friend) commented that he’d never spent time with such a normal and loving family in his life, and felt very blessed to have been invited to spend it with us.

We laughed and said, “If this is normal, you don’t want to know crazy!”

Would I have done anything differently if I had known it would be my last Thanksgiving with my dad? Probably not, and thank God for that…
    .-= Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie)´s last blog ..How I Spent My Summer Vacation =-.

13. rebecca @ durch dick und duenn says:

this weekend will be very busy for me, between working out!

I also need to clean, start christmas decorating and baking, since we leave for vacay on the 18th, if I don’t do it this weekend, i typically dont get around to it.

but back to your post, I’ve noticed that the more weigh I lose, the less I tend to focus on the food or drink at parties. mainly because I’m not all paranoid about a pertruding stomach or whether I’m that big I’ll have to move out of the way for someone to pass by me to go to the restroom. It’s an amazing feeling to be able to 100% focus your attention on the conversation and hot worry about food, your body, etc.
    .-= rebecca @ durch dick und duenn´s last blog ..pep talk- i hope =-.

14. Lance says:

Hi Diane,
    Love it!! Here’s to the fun of tomorrow, and to fun in life!! We are off to a 5K race our family will run together to start the day – lots of fun!! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your whole crew!!
    .-= Lance´s last blog ..Exposed =-.

15. Debbie says:

Hi Diane,

Thanks for sharing the great ideas! Enjoying family time is what it’s all about! I know we’re planning on playing lots of games together and getting outdoors for some much needed exercise! We will also be watching some college football, I’m sure! 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend!
    .-= Debbie ´s last blog ..One Way Ticket to Peru =-.

16. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

For me the food and family go hand in hand. There are specific foods that are always tied to certain events, and those bring back so many great memories.

For the 2nd year in a row, I am going to be very physically active the morning of Thanksgiving and not take the day just to be lazy. This is still a great time of year to get outside and enjoy the afternoon sunshine, even in New England!
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..More thanks and my camera is back! =-.

17. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Great post! Yes, it’s all about making memories! And our 2 year old loves blocks, too! And we all play with them. It’s amazing how much fun you can have with some wooden blocks…:)

Happy Thanksgiving, Diane!

18. MackAttack says:

Food is sometimes a disappointment. It’s the people that make holiday’s worth it. Tomorrow I’m running my first 5k since 2006. Yay! That is definitely what I’ll remember 🙂
    .-= MackAttack´s last blog ..reconnecting =-.

19. Carla says:

Since our family is very, VERY small, it will just be the two of us. I don’t think I’ve ever had a “proper” Thanksgiving so it will just be another day when everything is closed and we’ll have to deal with it. Ha!
    .-= Carla´s last blog ..Goodbye 2009 =-.

20. Cara says:

I started my day with a run. Never done that before! It was cool and crisp out there. No one else on the roads or sidewalks. Was a GREAT way to start the day. The highlight of my day, though, was watching old family videos from 20 years ago and realizing how much thinner I am now than I was then. What a great feeling to be happier with the way you are now, rather than wishing I could be that thin again. =D
    .-= Cara´s last blog ..I’ve come so far in just ONE year… =-.