Turkey Love & Turkey Hate

We had a great day yesterday. We decorated the yard for Christmas, we had a nice meal, and I ran a 5K! YAY! This particular 5K benefited a charity organization that provides food to underprivileged folks that live here.  The morning was cold as you can see from my posture walking up to the start line. (I’m the one with the ponytail!) There were about 400 people there which was much better than my last 5K in which about 30 people participated! I felt like I could get lost in the crowd and would definitely not be last! We got started at 8:03 a.m. and as I turned the first corner a woman right up ahead of me fell flat on her face! The girl next to me stopped as did I. That poor woman just laid there for a few seconds and then immediately started bawling like a baby! I felt so bad for her. We helped her up and after a little bit of time she said she was fine. So I went off again.

I’ve done this 5K before so THOUGHT I knew the route. But no. They changed it and added in two gigantic hills. Gigantic. As in, whenever we drove those hills heading to the mall the kids and I would say, “Aren’t you glad we don’t have to ride our bikes up this hill.” That’s how big it was. And it was at the end! But I had a strategy just in case. I walked up the hill. And since, as you all know, walking is my favorite exercise, I am FAST. On that hill I passed 8 people who were trying to run/walk up that hill. And it felt like I was getting a break while I walked fast up the hill. Win-Win!

Getting Ready to Run 5K
So I moseyed my way around the course, up and down the hills. Last time I really thought I wasn’t going to make it. I had some panic thoughts at the beginning of the last race, but in between that race and this one I trained much smarter and really worked on my endurance rather than worrying so much about speed. So at the end I passed a bunch of people who had petered out, including this very beautiful blonde lady with her hair done and a full face of make up on! Who does that?

I finished in 30:52 seconds. This was an improvement over my last time by over a minute. If I hadn’t stopped to help the lady then I might have come in under 30:00 which is my goal for next race. I’m very happy with my time and my experience, but the competitor in me says, “You can do better!” So that’s the Turkey Love part of my post.
At the Finish 5K

Now for the Turkey Hate. I do like to cook but I have decided if I never have to wrestle another turkey into the oven again I will be a happy woman. I’ve always hated messing with the bigness, the messiness, and the lengthy cooking times! Also, since I’m a bit of a germ-o-phobe, I am like a crazy woman with the cleaner after I’ve had the turkey around the kitchen! Yuck. So, if you are still with me this time next year, please remind me to order a turkey from a store and be done with it!

Other than the cooking turkey part of my day, the rest of it was great! How about you?  Diane

38 thoughts on “Turkey Love & Turkey Hate

1. Hanlie says:

I just want to say, you are a huge inspiration for me! You used to weigh much the same as me, you gave birth to seven children and here you are running a 5K. You are absolutely amazing!
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..Get together =-.

2. Marcelle says:

Well done on your run and excellent time…I do 5 kl in about 33 mins, and I dont stop to help anyone and its on a flat road without hills..You a speed demon.
    I cant run with make up on either, clogs the pores and horrible feeling.
    I think you did fantastically…well done on that run.
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..Thursday =-.

3. Joanna Sutter says:

Way to rock that trot! Bravo!

I have never made a turkey and most likely never will so I have a lot of respect for people that have the patience and the know how to do so.

It sounds like you had a very FULL day! How wonderful!
    .-= Joanna Sutter´s last blog ..Stay At Home Shoppers =-.

4. Julie from Cannes says:

Hi Diane,
    Does 5k means 5 kilometers running??? Because if yes, congratulations to have done it in only 30min! You’re so fast!!
    Happy thanksgiving day!
    Tomorrow we must buy the Christmas tree but as the weather here is so shinny and warm for an end of november that i’d rather buy a palm tree. LOL

xoxo
    Julie

5. Alixandra Hice says:

You GO, girl! My knees are too old and weak to run, so I envy you a tad. On the other hand, I never really liked running that much. Walking is much more my speed – and I can hike for hours.

You’re an inspiration, Diane. Congratulations on your 5K. Awesome accomplishment.
    .-= Alixandra Hice´s last blog ..Dear So and So… =-.

6. Lara (Thinspired) says:

That is a wonderful time, you should be proud! Especially since you were kind enough to stop and help that woman. I really liked reading the whole story, and can picure you zooming up that hill!

So glad you had a nice holiday!
    .-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..Grateful List =-.

7. Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42 says:

You’re a winner for stopping to help that woman. I bet you and the other person that stopped were on that woman’s thankful list for Thanksgiving.

I laugh about the Turkey Hate portion…I still have my big container of disinfectant wipes on the counter. The neck was stuck in the cavity. As I pulled on it, I sliced my finger on a sharp bone somewhere in the cavity. The turkey-in-the-oven smell and flavor made up for it.

Yesterday went well food-wise. No one missed the stuffing, rolls, or sugary drinks.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42´s last blog ..My Thanksgiving Post (and Story-in-the-Round) =-.

8. Mia says:

Yes, I too am some what of a germphobe! My hands are chapped this morning from the many times I washed them yesterday.

Our 19 member 5K Team did well in 40 degree windy weather yesterday. The “winner” of our group was also the youngest at 12 yrs old. (as of last week) he ran his 5K in 23 minutes! His dad couldn’t even keep up!

A lot of food was eaten yesterday! But more importantly, everyone enjoyed each other! My husband’s family is large (with 7 siblings, I meant in numbers and not in size!) and loving!! Needless to say, the festivities go on today with a Wisconsin tradition-Bowling!

Have a wonderful day!

Mia

9. Shelley B says:

I’m so glad you stopped to help that lady – what a kind thing to do, knowing it would mess up your time – but in the long run, it’s being humane that counts the most. Glad the race went so well for you – hurray for training and making it up those hills!!!

I feel the same about the turkey, which is why I’ve pretty much delegated that job to my husband for the last few years. I don’t think he realizes he does the whole thing now…it started with “can you help me take it out of the fridge” and progressed each year from there. But ordering one already done sounds the easiest!
    .-= Shelley B´s last blog ..Cooking Light Winners – And My Thanksgiving in Pictures! =-.

10. tj says:

Good job on the 5k! 🙂 Love the pictures! I’ve never cooked the turkey for the big day. I rely on my Mom. I think if I ever attempted it- Id do the packs of breasts only. lol No one eats the dark meat in my family so I feel its a waste!
    .-= tj´s last blog ..My Thanksgiving in Pictures. =-.

I’ve never known someone who runs 5Ks and I love hearing about your experiences. It makes me want to try one some day. Some day…

How about next year I’ll cook your turkey for you? I cooked one on Tuesday and then one yesterday. I love to cook them. My husband grills one also. This is one of my favorite meals to cook. 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Weigh-In … Could’ve Been Worse =-.

Diane… big congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are awesome!!! I am so impressed not only with you stopping for that woman BUT your strategies for the race! You go!!!!! On the make-up lady, I don’t get that either. It would be all over my face by the end! I see that in the gym too & don’t get it & I am at hours that people do NOT come from work.

Glad you had a good one & so cool on your accomplishments & how far you have come!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..What Teeth & Gums Say about Your Health; Dental Update =-.

I have already written a posting to pop up two weeks before Thanksgiving next year reminding me to buy eggs so that they are ‘old’ and easy to peel after they are hardboiled. The ones this year were too fresh when I cooked them and then wouldn’t peel. My husband had to make an emergency run to a local deli (yes they were open) to buy premade deviled eggs. When I make mine they are mostly ‘held’ together by mustard – I put the SCANTEST OF THE SCANT amount of light mayo in them. So they tasted too rich to us. Hence the reminder for next year.

I will add a note to it that says – “Diane, order your cooked turkey.”
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..It’s usually the ‘after’ that bites =-.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I always have fun with friends, family, and tasty food.

I overate a bit, but it didnt even phase me. It was one meal, and I went maybe 1500
    calories over my desired deficit of around 1400. Big deal, one meal won’t make me gain 50 pounds, or even 5. Heck, based on the deficit I was running this week, I probably won’t gain .5!

It’s all about perspective. Food wasn’t my focus, and it still isn’t. I had fun with people I love and food was a joyous part of it. Now we’re back to normal, life marches on 🙂
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..Another small victory 🙂 =-.

15. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Awesome job on the race & great hill strategy! Sounds like the perfect way to start Thanksgiving day! I really would love to do another race, but I have a weak ankle and last time I trained for a race, I overdid it and did some serious damage. However, I think if I’m smarter about the training part, it may work out…

And I don’t like to wrestle with the turkey either… I think ordering it next year sounds like a great strategy!!!! 🙂

16. Bearfriend says:

Hi Diane. Really well done on your 5K! Great your training was so successful. Shame about the woman who fell over – hope it didn’t spoil her day. Amazing to think what your time would have been otherwise. Are you aiming for a specific time in your training?

Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx
    .-= Bearfriend´s last blog ..Passing on the Love! =-.

Congrats on the 5k Diane!!!! That’s a stellar time considering you stopped and speed walked up the hill, I bet you were running fast! I think race directors just love to be mean and throw in giant hills to torture us. The same thing has happened to me a few times now!

I think you should just roast a couple chickens and trick the family into thinking their small turkeys next time 😉
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Hooked on Endorphins =-.

18. Kat says:

Congratulations on your 5k! You did great, especially with stopping to help the lady that fell. I am impressed with your time! I find it kind of funny that some people feel the need to get all made up every time they leave the house – especially a race. It is just going to come off with sweat! It sounds like you had a lovely day. I support you in buying a turkey next year…:-)

19. Lance says:

Hi Diane,
    That’s an awesome run!! Especially considering you stopped to help someone along the way (GREAT JOB!!). I ran in a 5K turkey trot too – I love the saying they use (“Like a Thanksgiving Day Parade, Only Faster”). There were 1500 people in the 10K and 2500 people in the 5K. I ran it with my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter. My wife and 10 year old son volunteered at the race. And here in Wisconsin…it was COLD – about 35 degrees and windy! The car felt really good once we finished!!
    .-= Lance´s last blog ..Exposed =-.

20. Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie) says:

TIPS FOR THE PERFECT TURKEY
    (Just in case you decide you’ll cook another one next year):

1) Buy a Butterball Bird (don’t waste your time on an off-brand)
    2) Buy a box of Reynolds poultry bags (sized to fit your bird; we got LARGE)
    3) Prepare Bird: Slather butter all over it- inside and out; sprinkle your favorite spices – thyme, tarragon, ground black pepper, parsley; add fresh herbs – basil, sage and rosemary; insert turkey button in thickest part of bird; shove bird into bag and tie with the supplied lock-tie; place on roasting rack in roasting pan.) Note: Don’t stuff the bird; you can do the stuffing separately.
    4) Place in 325º oven until done. This will vary by poundage, of course, but just to give you an idea, our 23 pound turkey went in at 9 AM and was DONE at 1 PM. I had even turned it down to 300º in the middle, fearing it would be done too fast. Trust me, this bad boy will be done quicker than you can believe, so be prepared. Oh, I rotate the pan a couple of times, just so it will brown evenly.
    5) Leave in sealed bag until ready to carve and serve. You will not believe how tender and juicy your bird will be.
    6) Have hubby do items 2-5 for you <– This step is critical to success.
    7) Enjoy!
    .-= Cari (aka Gastric Bypass Barbie)´s last blog ..HOLIDAY BLUES: I Am Not Normal. =-.

21. Kim says:

I am loving the fact that as I browse around blogs, I am not the only one who ran before the feast on Thanksgiving Day! SO many of us weight loss bloggers did it and it makes me proud to join your ranks this year! COngrats on conquering the hills! Why do race organizers build in hills at the end??