It’s Looking Like Christmas

Good Saturday to everyone! We finally finished decorating for Christmas around here. Okay, John finished decorating for Christmas because I don’t do it. He truly epitomizes Mr. Christmas and grew up with a Nana who passed the love and specialness of Christmas onto him in a big way. Without further ado, I present to you – just a few of our decorations.

Here are the stockings. I know there are a lot of them. I made most of them using those Bucilla kits. A lot of work, but really pretty when hung.

The Stockings Were Hung

And here is our main tree. It’s the “fancy tree” as John calls it. All those ornaments were ones we’ve collected over our almost 23 years of marriage.

Christmas Tree #1

Underneath this tree John sets up a village. I know, who puts a village under the tree? That’s what I said when we first got married, but that’s how his Nana did it and so does he! I like it now, especially with so many little children around who wouldn’t leave presents alone.

Village

Here’s the front door wreath that John made last year after we saw one similar in a very fancy florist shop. We couldn’t afford their price tag so made our own!

Front Door Wreath

Here’s the little advent calendar we use to help the little kids count down to Christmas. If you look closely you can see a black hook on the top. John sometimes puts little treats in a silver bag for the kids.

Advent Calendar

Finally, here’s our second tree. We got this tree at a yard sale for $8.00! We then moved the red and more natural looking ornaments to this tree. I love this one a lot.

Christmas Tree #2

When I was overweight, the whole Christmas season was filled with cookies, chocolate, candy, and cake. The more the better. Now, all these years later we still have those treats, but on special occasions and not one a day to count down the 25 days until Christmas! When John and I married I had no idea how much he enjoyed Christmas. At first I resisted, but after a while I learned to be flexible and calm. (Pretty much.)

His special love of Christmas has enhanced our holiday season. Do you have any special decorating traditions that have been passed down to you?  Diane

43 thoughts on “It’s Looking Like Christmas

1. Julia says:

Looks amazing, we don’t celebrate Christmas but your trees look amazing – looks like a lot of work to put up and pack away, sure the kids love it.
    Growing up Christmas was our summer so most folks were away on summer vac and the decor was nothing like here 🙂

have a great weekend.

It looks absolutely beautiful !!!
    At our house, we have a big thing for Saint Nicholas for a very special reason( this year we have decided against putting them up for some good reasons). The Santa thing started when I was a little girl and my mom decided to make these absolutely HORRID looking Santa faces out of styrofoam balls, red felt and cotton balls. I told her I thought they were the ugliest thing I had ever seen and I would never put a Santa anything in my home- and it became the family joke to put anything Santa with me. Fast forward to Christmas 1991. I was pregnant after a stillbirth and infertility, and having some really serious problems with the pregnancy. I sat there looking at the Christmas Tree, thinking back to when I was younger ans it seemed you could ask Santa for anything and it was given to you. It was a laughable thought, but then I remembered Saint Nicholas, who was one of the figures who became Santa Claus and asked him to help me see that this little one was born, and I would never mock him again. 3 months later , Nicholas Alexander was born ( named for the Saint and the Conqueror)and I began to collect Santa/ gift giver figures and put them up each year at Christmastime. I keep one Old World Santa up in my room year round, just to remember as well.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Cake and weigh in =-.

3. South Beach Steve says:

The decorations look great Diane. My wife and one of my sons really enjoy decorating for Christmas. Me – I would be fine not decorating at all. I know that makes me sound like a scrooge, but that is how it is. I get enough of the decorations looking at everyone else’s. 🙂
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..The Good Thing About Busy =-.

It does look absolutely beautiful – like straight from a magazine. So glad you posted all these great pics.

(But the wife in me has to ask – is he as good about taking it all down and putting it all away as he is about putting it all UP/OUT for display???)

Our tree is up with lights, ribbon, lace. And it is beautiful with NO ornaments. I am not sure if the girls will be leaving it that way or just haven’t gotten to the ornaments yet. The tree is never my favorite part. It is all the other little groupings around the house.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Goal Week – Body Awareness =-.

• Diane says:

Vickie – he does get it all out of the attic, decorate, pack it up, and put it away. That was part of our bargain when I realized the extent of his dedication to Christmas!

5. m i c h e l l e says:

Gorgeous decorations Diane!!! Love the idea of the village and maybe this will be the year I start collecting the pieces.

We will put up our tree today. I always look forward to the result but not the process …

When I got back from my trip and did my rounds at the grocery stores/Target, etc., I was so tempted to buy a lot of the seasonal goodies (egg nog, cookies, candy) but I decided to wait until the 22nd to choose a few things to enjoy and that will be it.

6. Shelley B says:

Your Christmas decorations are gorgeous! How awesome is it to have a husband who DECORATES?!? Love the idea of a “fancy tree” – too funny! And with your young ones, I’m shocked that the little village doesn’t get handled as much as presents would!

Your stockings are great – you are really talented, Diane!

As for decorating traditions, years ago my mom started making really nice Santas so those go out every year, even when nothing else did. Plus I have some pretty Christmas cross-stitch samplers made by my grandmother that also go on the walls every year.
    .-= Shelley B´s last blog ..Friday Catch Up =-.

7. Diane's Husband, John says:

Diane, This post was a nice suprise! The pictures look great. Thank you for being patient during the multi-day “set-up” and helping me not cross the line from good taste to tacky. My mother always said she pitied the woman who married me because of my obsession with Christmas decorating. But God knew you would be the perfect match for me! I appreciate all that you bring to the holidays which makes it a special time for our family. Love ya.

8. Sunny says:

With my dad being an alcoholic, holidays weren’t particularly special, so not much from my childhood got passed down.

Your home holidays are amazingly gorgeous! Give Mr. Diane a big ole hug from me for being such a wonderful Father Christmas!!!!
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..TGIF to the max!!! =-.

9. Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42 says:

We’ve had to get rid of most of our decorations due to job losses and moves to apartments with no storage. Now we are in a house, again, but it’s kinda nice to not have all the stuff.

My husband bought me a pre-lit tree this year as a surprise. I love it!

I have two boxes for decorations: one labeled “odd years” and one labeled “even years.” That way we rotate them and they seem fresher.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42´s last blog ..Gina aka Cookie Monster =-.

10. brenda says:

Your home looks beautiful!!! I love the villages under the tree! Traditionaly, that is were they are suposed to be place (I think it originated in Germany but not sure). If I was sure my dogs would stay out of it, I would do it in an instant!
    We are kind of making our own traditions as we go. I never liked the way my parents did things…the tree (always a real tree) went up a day or two before Christmas morning, and they never wanted to take it down till February. I like putting the tree up a day or 2 after Thanksgiving, and I always want it down and everything put away a couple days before New Years Eve.
    We definatly have slowed down the baking here before Christmas and I try to pack up the treats we do make and give most of them away. And now we have a day were we make mocha meringue kisses that are mostly egg whites and an angel food cake for us to snack on.
    ok, off to read everyone else’s comments now 🙂
    Have a great weekend!
    .-= brenda´s last blog ..It’s begining to look a lot like Christmas! =-.

11. Sarah says:

Oh Diane, your decorations are so beautiful! Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday/time of year and I love seeing how others celebrate. Now that I have so much more energy for this sort of thing I’m really giving a lot of thought to my family’s holiday traditions and how I can pass this love and excitement on to my children. I would certainly love to raise boys who love Christmas like your husband does! 🙂
    .-= Sarah´s last blog ..Moving Down =-.

12. Carla says:

So pretty! I love some of retro style ornaments. Reminds me of how my mom saved one beautiful ornament from the tree from the year I was born – 1970! I always place that ornament at the top of the tree so none of my boys can reach it!

13. Dave Philips says:

Your children are at a great age to enjoy Christmas, and it sounds like you and John really cherish the holidays with them. There is nothing better.

14. Marcelle says:

I feel terrible now moaning about not being in the mood when I see how BEAUTIFUL your home looks with all the decorations, like a magazine article…its stunning. Well done to Mr Christmas he did a brilliant job, now wish he’ll pop around and help me with my few decorations…
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..5 Years ago today….I moved to Germany =-.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx for sharing all the pics Dianne!!! I am Jewish but I still love looking at the way people decorate for Xmas! I still ride around & look at lights & we did that as a family when we were young even though we celebrated Hanukkah! My hubby is not Jewish so we get all kinds of celebrations in this house!

It is harder now that so many family members are gone but I try to remember those times.. I just miss those big family things that are long gone.

I love that your hubby gets so into this & does the work for you! Putting it up & down! Yahoo!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Saturday Funny! Vote for Me! =-.

16. Fran says:

Oh Diane, it’s beautiful. Compliments for John for decorating your house so beautiful!

I think I will put up the Christmas tree next weekend. In Holland we’re not so early with Christmas decorations because today is a different holiday here, after that we start preparing for Christmas.
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Saturday December 5th 2009 =-.

17. Julie says:

Hi Diane,
    Your Xmas trees are so beautiful (especially the first one) and your decorations are perfect.
    I thought mine was awesome but so few ornaments compares to yours ( but only 6 years of wedding i think this is it 😉

My Christmas have always been the best part of winter : we were decorating with my dad and my sisters and my parents got a lovely creche in which all the staff : the house, the wind mill were home made by my dad. My husband too so we are trying to give those traditions to our kids.

Here in Provence traditions are the Thirteen deserts. All made with nuts, and typical fruits from here like fig. Only healthy food but i don`t know how to tranlate them.

I`m fond of your socks and i`ll try to know if i can ship them here.
    xoxo

18. mackattack says:

My family didn’t do anything until Christmas eve and we celebrated the 12 days of christmas. This all ended when we went away to school. I’d love to pick it back up when we have kids of our own! (well, I want to do the tree sooner than xmas eve)
    .-= mackattack´s last blog ..Routine Appointments =-.

19. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

Diane! Your house could be in a magazine! (Have you ever been featured??)

We don’t have a decorating tradition, but a special cake tradition. My grandfather’s birthday was on Christmas, and he always had a special cake that his mother made, which then my mother made, and now I make, even though he is no longer with us.
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..Reindeer Run 5K and cookie time! =-.

20. Lori says:

I love the decorations, especially the stockings! We always had a mismatched decorated tree with lots of home made decorations. A lot of them were ornaments my grandma had made, and then there were the ones that my brother and I had made as well. It had a lot of charm to it. A couple of years ago, my parents “downsized” their tree, b/c their old one had gotten pretty old. We now have a smaller tree, and it’s kind of sad for me that we don’t have as big of a tree now!
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..Refocusing =-.

21. Shannon Fab Fattie says:

All of it is beautiful! I cannot believe a man does such a fabulous job. My husband helps with the star and…. well the star, lol.
    I really love your tree with the ornaments of the last 23 years. Mine is all about that and it is so much fun to talk about them each year.
    You are quite the crafty bunch, WOW love the stockings and wreath.
    Enjoy your holiday season 🙂

22. Josie says:

Beautiful, Diane. And from what I can tell, you have a lovely home as well.

Sounds like I am a lot like your husband. I love Christmas too and get all into it…I love that your village is under your tree. We put a train track around ours.
    .-= Josie´s last blog ..I’m Gonna Be =-.

23. Tresa says:

Well, as usual…I am behind on reading your posts! I love the village under the tree. I don’t think it was under there when I saw it last or at least I didn’t see it! We may have too!!!!!

24. Lara (Thinspired) says:

Gorgeous decorations!! I love the fancy tree! I can’t wait to decorate my own house someday soon 🙂

My mom collects nutcrackers. Every year we go see The Nutcracker, and when I was little she started a collection of beautiful collectibles. It’s always a joy to help unpack them every season!
    .-= Lara (Thinspired)´s last blog ..The Accidental Veggie =-.

25. Evelyn says:

Diane, My husband told me to check out the Christmas trees on your blog. They are gorgeous! Great job, John!
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Evelyn

26. Hanlie says:

We are just terrible! No decorations, no goodies and no Christmas music… My sister puts up a Christmas tree for the kids and that’s where we spend Christmas Eve. On Christmas day we visit my in-laws, who usually have a few decorations up. But at our house – nothing.
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..Coconut Oil: Good for You! =-.