Bad Habit #528,345,251

I was reading over my blog journal last night, and came across one of the ideas for a post that I had jotted down when I first began my blog. The entry read, “Bad Habits.” I immediately started laughing at myself because I thought, “Which one of the dozens of bad habits was I thinking of them I wrote that entry?” So, in honor of my very general journal entry, I thought I’d share with you the top ten bad food habits I had during my ten years of obesity.

1.  Drive Thru Queen – I knew many of the cashiers on a first name basis, and would sometimes avoid their shift because I didn’t want them to think I was a pig.

2. Chocolate Addict – I loved chocolate so much that I had a little stash in my night stand and would eat a piece (or twelve) before I even got out of bed.

3. Nighttime Princess – After the children were tucked into their beds was the time for the tortilla chips and cheese to make their appearance. (x 3)

4. Sit On The Comfy Couch – I loved to sit and eat and watch television. Loved it a lot.

5. Go Back For More – I rarely had one serving of anything. If one serving of cheesy casserole was good, then two or three was probably better!

6. Finish The Bag – It just seemed wrong to leave chips or cookies in the bag. Why stop when there were still more in there? (Similar to the thinking of: If I still have checks left I must have money in the bank!)

7. Fudge The Truth – I’d fudge the truth about how many cookies I had made, or how much fudge the recipe was suppossed to make. John didn’t cook. (Thank God!)

8. Justification Expert – I was an expert at justifying my bad choices to myself. I could convince myself of anything.

9. Paul Deen Was My Hero – Sure Paula wasn’t famous when I was obese, but had she been, I would have been her best friend. I loved butter on everything, and even put butter under my jelly when I ate slice after slice of toast in the morning.

10. Mindless Eating – I could eat reams of food while reading a book, talking on the phone, or driving in the car. REAMS.

Those are just 10 of my 528,345,251 bad habits I had. The great thing about that list though? I changed every single one of them. No matter how deeply ingrained a habit is, it really is possible to break it, change it, or bend it around so that the habit becomes one of healing rather than one of hurting.

Care to share a few of your habits (good or bad)?  Diane

33 thoughts on “Bad Habit #528,345,251

1. Marcelle says:

I didn’t have too many bad habits but the few I had were bad enough for my weight problems.

1…I always ate 2nd’s and if really great had 3rd helpings
    2…I also had to finish a packet of chips, pretzels, nuts
    3…Never said NO to dessert

I think on a whole I ate pretty well…always have salad with our dinner, never fry food, ( have never ) not a big fan of take aways and never went to MaC Donalds for myself only…now I go with hubby and say * No thanks will make myself a sandwich at home*
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..Wednesday’s Chitter Chatter =-.

2. Alissa says:

I had issues with chocolate too. Before I came to realize I had a problem, I could eat half a bag of chocolate without even a thought. These habits are good to think about in order to correct them. Thanks!

I just loved the name of this post! So funny!!!! I think we were/are all there! BUT we can change!!!!

That whole justification & fooling ourselves stuff is rampant! I was a queen of that when I was heavy! UGH! People keep the weight on & more by telling themselves they are actually eating less than they do…. so common!

OH YES, mindless eating & finishing it all… now, I put a portion on a plate & that is it. The bag or box or whatever does not come with me!!!

Greta Diane!

4. Froggie says:

STACK the COOKIES…………..how many cookies can you take out of the cookie jar/tin and restack the remaining so it looks like none are gone?…………………….works til your dad counts the cookies and then you’re busted. (Habits of a 12-15 year old)

CUT the Full Width of the Pan………………to appear none has been taken…………don’t cut a 2×3″ piece of brownie, cake, bar cookie…………just talk a 1/2″ strip of whatever is in the pan……….the full width…………….no one knows any is gone….or do they?

If you can own it you can change it.

Lost 3 pounds at TOPS yesterday. Going to ride 20 minutes on recumbent bike.
    Have a fabulous…………Fit 2 the Finish day ……..my friend.

Teena aka Froggie

5. Monica says:

I had all these and more! My favorite part of your post is where you pointed out that you can change all these habits with some work.

One of my worst? Eating in bed. Messy and high calorie!

6. Sara N. says:

I just had so many habits that weren’t healing or healthy that it isn’t even funny. Over and over I’d swear to stop but I just couldn’t. Eventually though my health dictated that I change and I finally did. One habit that was hard for me was like you said – drive thru eating.

Drive thrus were such a good bad invention because it helps us get in and out fast (usually) but makes it easy for people with eating issues to control their behaviors.

Like Jody – I love the title of this post!

7. Lori says:

I have a bad habit of wanting bakery doughnuts and diet coke. Not really sure why I like that combination, but I do. And once I start craving it, I start craving it every single day!

8. Mia says:

The most long reaching destructive habit I developed years ago that I still struggle with is binging. It started with dieting! Every time I decided to start a diet, I would eat everything I wouldn’t be eating on my diet. This would clear out my pantry of all those foods I was NEVER going to eat again! (Echos of yesterday’s post on limits!) I would stuff myself until I was sick. I must say, that made the first few days of dieting easier because I was like a hibernating bear! Eat, eat, eat, then sleep for a long time!! Live off that stored fat! Since I was forever going on a diet, I was forever binging. (sigh) Very self destructive!

Today, I still have issues with binging. I lost 50 pounds years ago when I finally quit dieting and just ate normally and exercised. When my weight drift up a few pounds, I have to be very careful not to go on a diet because I immediately get that urge to binge!

I have more but I think this one is the absolute worse!!

Mia

9. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

My worst habit was mindlessly overeating at night. I changed that habit by mindfully serving myself my portion and then stopping and thinking before going back for seconds. I also have a rule not to eat after dinner (really my only “rule”).

10. tj says:

Oh I loved this list! I used to live about 15 min from “town” and after I would go grocery shopping ( bags packed with healthy food) I would drive though Wendys for two 99 cent biggie french fries, THEN hit up McDonalds for 2 double cheeseburgers, 1 McChicken, and for the ride home (because it was 15 minutes!!!) a 9 piece McNugget with 3 BBQ sauces. I would hide the wrappers and fast food bags in the garbage, making sure no one saw them. I think I was the one who did not want to see them again. I was always ashamed of myself after a binge like that.
    .-= tj´s last blog ..Great Soup! =-.

A few bad habits that came to mind right away:
    -Always eating till stuffed, and then eating again when I’m still full from the last meal.
    -Walking by pantry and reaching in to grab a snack…many times a day.
    -Eating cookies while baking them (this was second nature until a few months ago)
    -Mindless eating while visiting with friends…not even paying attention to whether I’m hungry or not..until I’m stuffed
    -BIG servings of dessert.

This could go on and on probably…

I’m wondering if I should start a list of them and work on them one by one now. 🙂 Goodness!

Actually, a lot of these have changed, but I’m still working on many of them. I appreciate you saying bad habits can be changed. Yes, they can! Thank you for a great post, Diane!

12. Amy says:

Oh I had (and still have) lots of bad habits (don’t we all) and the trick is to work on them one at a time. The one that had the biggest impact on my weight was eating at night in front of the TV after the kids had gone to bed. I felt like I deserved it, after a long day taking care of the kids. This is one habit I worked hard to break and it made a huge difference, not only to my weight loss, but also to feeling better in the morning when I get up. Now if I do eat something late, I really feel awful the next morning, and so I really try hard to avoid it.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Lost & Found =-.

13. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

I had to giggle at your first bad habit. When sunny days and free time coincide, I will sometimes stop at the same McD’s at which I consumed many a cheeseburger-and-fries in the “before” days. Now, I have a Diet Coke or a cup of coffee–sometimes a yogurt parfait or an apple dipper–and that’s it. I know many of the servers and managers by name now, and they know me, and they know my newfound good eating habits. That’s both good and bad. A few weeks ago, I stopped in for a bathroom break after a long bike ride, and I decided I would have a small ice cream cone (150 calories.) The server said, “Are you sure you want that? We have some apples.” I thought I was going to have to sign a waiver to get the cone. 🙂 But I appreciate that there will likely be no spur-of-the-moment splurges occurring at this fast food haven, and I’m grateful they care.
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..Healthy Fun at School? =-.

14. BlessedMama says:

Hmm, most of the entries are past tense. I’m still struggling with mine. 🙁 Well, confession time: I sneak eat. When I think no one is looking, even my husband, I sneak frozen chocolate chips. I’ve also driven by Taco Bell and quickly eaten a burrito before I make it home and hide the trash. Then, I’ll walk in and have lunch with everyone. If I don’t, they’ll wonder why I’m not eating. I finish my littlest ones food. I’ve at least stopped serving him too much deliberately just so I can finish it. And, when I’m going to start a new diet, I finish off all the junk food just to get the temptations out of the way. I justify it by saying to myself that I’m helping myself stay on track. Sigh.
    .-= BlessedMama´s last blog ..Macaroni Salad =-.

15. MySensei says:

Bad habits..where to begin! I am with you on the couch time snacking…It was one of my favorite things to do as well..curl up under the blankey with some popcorn, cookies, chips-you name it! I still am a victim to this bad habit BUT I changed my snacking items from junk to healthy. Subbing in granola, fruit, veggies as my TV snacks.

16. Stacy says:

My bad habits are Chocolate candy and eating seconds. I love to cook, so when I make something good I tend to take a bit more than that first serving. I’m working on that one.

At least I know I have some good habits, too. I rarely eat after dinner and drink lots of water. I only have a soda a few times a month. I can turn down cookies, cakes, and pies without a problem. Twas not always the case, though. It’s a journey to get those good habits. When I stopped drinking soda and started replacing it with water I could tell the impact it had on my body. I felt so much better, and now if I don’t get my water in I feel quite crappy. If I eat fried foods I can also tell it doesn’t make me feel very good.

I think once you choose to take a healthier path you can really tell the impact that it makes in how you feel overall.
    .-= Stacy´s last blog ..Happy pictures…finally! =-.

LOL! That’s a wonderful and funny list of bad habits!! Maybe not so funny once, but comedy is tragedy plus time, as I understand! Great job as always!

18. Marisa (Loser For Life) says:

I can relate to all of your bad habits. My list was almost identical! I am glad that I can finally talk myself out of most of them, because I realized that some of those bad habits never TRULY want to go away! Like the saying goes, “old habits die hard”. But, it does taste a conscious effort to kick them to the curb for good!
    .-= Marisa (Loser For Life)´s last blog ..Baby, it’s cold outside =-.

19. Debbie P says:

Diane, have you been reading my mind again? Sounds like you copied your list of bad habits straight from my head. I have had all of those bad habits and about a million more!

My bad habit was restricting myself too much, then caving and splurging too much. For example, I used to not let myself eat after my 6pm dinner. But I always stayed up late studying, so by midnight I would be staaaarving and would stuff myself with way too much food. Had I just allowed myself something to eat at the onset of hunger, I probably would have saved myself from a lot of late night calories and junk!

21. Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42 says:

In addition to yours and many others’, I also have a bad habit of getting something at the bakery just for me when I go grocery shopping. Sometimes it’s a single-serve piece of cake, sometimes it’s the whole cake, tray of eclairs, pie, bag of cookies, etc. Ugh. I’m barely driving out of the parking lot before digging in. This is so embarrassing but true.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41, Maybe 42´s last blog ..Focus Pocus =-.