If You Give Diane A Cookie. . .

There’s this children’s book series, the first of which is If You Give A Mouse A Cookie. The book details what happens between a little boy and a mouse when the mouse appears in his life asking for a cookie. They quickly dissolve into bedlam, but have a lot of fun along the way. When I was reading that book the other day it made me think about my life. Here’s what happened to me when I started to eat too many cookies.

If you give me a cookie, then my size 10 pants won’t fit and I’ll need new ones in size 16.

New Size 16 Pants

And once I outgrow those pants I’m going to have to start making some really sad looking jumpers.

Family Picture

I’ll live in those jumpers for a while, but in the meantime my self esteem sinks lower and lower.

Squatting

Until one day, while standing on my doctor’s scale, I realize I’ve got to clean up my life and get healthy and quit putting bows on my head.

Christmas Bow

So I start walking, and little by little I feel stronger, more confident and healthier.

Diane walking

Until the day arrived and I said, “I’m done.” And I’ve been done for 12 years now. Not with eating cookies of course, but with losing weight.

All Done!!

And then just like the story of the little mouse who wanted a cookie, I might still have a cookie every now and then, but I never have so many that I have to repeat the book’s lessons over and over again.

Just think – once you get stronger, healthier, and more fit – you will never have to let cookies or choices pull you down. You can have your cookies (occasionally) and love life at the same time! What’s your story?  Diane

37 thoughts on “If You Give Diane A Cookie. . .

1. Lance says:

Hi Diane,
    Like Miz, that’s a favorite book around here too. The visuals that you’ve included here along with the storyline is so good at showing your point, and really highlighting where you have been, and more importantly – where you are today. And 12 years! That is fantastic!!!
    .-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

2. Melissa says:

I’ll say it again, you need to write a book!!
    If you give Melissa white bread, pasta, and chips, she’ll squeeze into a size 12, occasionally buy a 14 and hope her makeup looks good so people focus on her face.
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Good Morning Sunshine =-.

3. Sara N. says:

This is so awesome! I’ve looked at your pictures so many times, but to see them chronicled like this is just wonderful! My kids loved that book – and I did too. Have you seen the other ones they do now?

My story? If you give Sara some cookies she probably won’t stop. Oops – that was past. Now, I avoid cookies, but one day I’ll be able to eat them without sucking down the entire plate.

4. Monica says:

Wow! I love this – not only for the pictures, but for the story behind it. You show that no matter where you are starting from, you can completely change you appearance? I want my story to have the same ending yours does, and you give me the confidence to know that I totally can do it. You lost half of yourself – I can lose my weight.

5. Carol says:

I LOVE this post. I can so relate and it was very appropriate because yesterday I had way too many cookies and I couldnt believe I did it. I have worked SO DARN HARD to lose 64 pounds and as I get closer to goal, i dont want to slack off so I try to remember how easy it would be to fall back into bad habits and how quickly I will go from size 10 to size 18 !!! THANK YOU for the post and great blog.

6. Michelle@Eatingjourney says:

I don’t mean to be rude…you you’re more gorgeous now. is that bad to say? You are one foxy lady.

My click moment was going to the zoo and seeing fat parents with fat kids. I didn’t want that.

Thank you for sharing this story. You’re such an inspiration.
    .-= Michelle@Eatingjourney´s last blog ..Life is one big Equation =-.

Ah, Diane, you know my love of cookies!!! This hit home with me! I used to not be able to stop with cookies or any other sweet thing! Then when I lost weight, it took me a long time to get over that I could actually eat this stuff & be OK. Once I learned how to include that “fun stuff” & not worry about ever going back, it all became clear!

It is just amazing what you have done & accomplished AND LOST! AMAZING!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Kickboxing Update! LOVED IT! =-.

8. Mia says:

You are so beautiful!! And I don’t mean physically, which you are, but where it counts the most, inside!!

My story started with a severe knee injury and surgery at 16. It was downhill from there. I was told I could no longer do sports! I am somewhat high-strung (LOL! My DH would just shake his head at “somewhat”!) and working out that energy through physical exertion kept me sane. Without that outlet, I turned towards food…and more food…and more food! Within a few years I was 60 pounds heavier and so unhappy. Finally I had had enough! Pain or no pain, I knew I needed to get moving. I started jogging and yes, my knee hurt! I was so out of shape and all the muscle in that one leg was gone! Over the years I have dropped the weight. Always with pain but my happiness in my health is much more. Today, I can no longer run, but I can bike. And my leg has never been stronger!! (And yes, the knee still hurts! I am icing it as I type this having just come off my bike.) The moral of my story-Keep moving! No matter what!

Have a great day!
    Mia

9. Leslie says:

Fantastic Diane. Your pictures show more than just a physical transformation…the real you shines through clearly in that last beautiful shot. When we’re carrying around the extra poundage, our despair and distress shows through even in our smiles.
    .-= Leslie´s last blog ..Nurse in transit =-.

10. Bearfriend says:

Hi Diane. I think this is a wonderful idea to make your own weight gain/ loss story. And with illustrations!

But it only works because you didn’t keep repeating the storyline over and over again like most of do. That is the crucial difference. Your story has a happy ending!

Best wishes,
    Bearfriend xx
    .-= Bearfriend´s last blog ..Still ill =-.

11. Anonymous Fat Girl says:

Ha ha! I really got a kick out of this post. It really got me thinking. I’ve always had a problem with sweets, cookies in particular.

I remember when I was in Brownies (pre-Girl Scouts) as a little girl and they had brought in oreo cookies for snack. I remember thinking I had to chew them very quietly or everyone would notice how many I was eating because those darn oreos are so loud when you are wolfing them down!

I’ve always had such a problem not being able to stop at just one. I don’t know if it’s psychological or the sugar addiction or both. For now I’ve been avoiding them but I know I have to learn to live around cookies sooner or later. I’m just not ready to fight that battle yet. Maybe soon though. 🙂
    .-= Anonymous Fat Girl´s last blog ..Products to help with dieting and weight loss =-.

I overdosed on sugar cookies last night, so this is particularly poignant to me right now 😉

I simply hope that my story will be like yours – I am in the fed up/transformative stage, but crossing over into the healthy /ever after side of the journey looks SO sweet indeed!

And, let’s face it, I put on a few on my vacation, so now it is REALLY time to be fed up and get back to normal!

13. Marcelle says:

YOU ARE MY INSPIRATION….
    You are the only person I know who has lost the weight and kept it off for so long…I am going to be your blog friend forever as I need you to remind me and keep me on the straight and narrow should I find this journey difficult in the future…
    Right now I am so motivated to keep the weight off….
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..We’re Together =-.

14. John W. Zimmer says:

My latest challenge was education. I was down to my fighting weight in 1999 but went though a divorce, trying to be supportive to my kids, moved to a better job, moved back to be near my kids (kept the job), got married again, and went back to school (BS and masters).

During all of that I lost my focus and my health took a back seat. Well now I am in the process of climbing over the to the drivers seat again!

Good motivating story!
    .-= John W. Zimmer´s last blog ..The Speed Bag Workout; Timing & Fitiness! =-.

Another great story, Diane. I wonder how the cookie started? Maybe when that Queen said, “let them eat cake,” the poor peasants could only have a cookie?

16. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Wonderful post! This is my first year in a few to enjoy Christmas treats. I’m purposefully wearing “street clothes” and not the elastic-waist workout attire I normally wear during the day. I’m counting on pants with zippers to work like an early warning detection device. 🙂
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..All Cookied Out =-.