Enjoy – Don’t Stress!

Merry Christmas Eve! I hope that you and your family are enjoying every single moment of this holiday season.

We have decked the halls,

Christmas Tree #2

Wrapped the gifts,

wrapped gifts

Made the cookies,

Sugar Cookies

Filled up the Advent Calendar,

Advent Calendar Full

And now it’s the day before the big event. One thing I did all the way along this month is plan for my eating. And I know from reading your blogs that you have been planning too. Sometimes you’ve seemed stressed over the choices you’ve made or had to make. One of many things I’ve learned throughout the years since reaching my goal weight is that I am not perfect. I sometimes made choices that I regretted. I ate way too much fudge, chowed down on a plate of sugar cookies, or kept slicing off tiny pieces of cake. But as the years passed I understood that those occasional slip-ups weren’t the end of being my ideal weight.

Instead, those slip-ups were opportunities to learn what maintenance looked like. Maintenance wasn’t perfection anymore than weight loss was. It was about planning and choosing, and finding my way through the minefield that occasionally presented itself. A couple of pounds, or a few bad choices gave me the opportunity to go back to what I knew worked and get myself under control again. Do you think this is a mindset that may work for you too?

Please enjoy your celebration tomorrow. Hopefully, God willing, you will have many, many more family celebrations. Every one you experience gives you more practice at making the choices that are life affirming and long lasting.  Keep sight of your goals – they are within your reach. Have fun with your holiday meals, the times with your family, and all the events surrounding this time of year.  Check in over the weekend when you have a moment as I’ve got my first video post lined up!  Diane

35 thoughts on “Enjoy – Don’t Stress!

May you and your family share a Blessed Christmas filled with joy, renewal and wonderful memories that will last a lifetime ! While weight loss is a necessary thing for different body types, holidays and celebrations are necessary things for the soul of every human. We should never forget that we have both and they need equal care . (And a belated Happy Birthday to your son ! December birthdays can be challenging to keep special)
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Holidays are happy things =-.

Wonderful reminder Diane!!! I plan to be mindful with my choices, only for the sake of my physical well-being though 😉 (do not need to be doubled over in tummy pain again this year). BUT I do keep reminding myself that there are 365 days in a year. 2 or 3 of those spent eating and drinking to my heart’s content with my family will not ruin those hundreds of other days in the year.

Have a wonderful Christmas!!!!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..An Early Christmas Present!! =-.

Loved the pics!!! Good to see them again & your wonderful family!

I am with you Diane. Maintenance is a learning process & it takes time to understand that even when we plan, things can change OR we can change our mind. It is not the end of the world & we just get back to it as soon as possible.. the next meal or the next day. Life throws us challenges so we can learn from them & grow … not bigger again though! 🙂

Have a very wonderful Christmas with your family!
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Smile & the World Smiles With You! =-.

4. Marcelle says:

I’m stressing already.
    Monday I ran 5km and stayed within my points allowed
    Tuesday I ran 5km and stayed within my points allowed
    Wednesday took the day off but walked around Frankfurt for hours, ate 2 points over my 35 allowed
    Thursday ran 7km….and have gained over 1.4kg’s ( 3.1 lbs )
    So now I am stressed and scared!!
    How did that happen??

Anyway I have read what you said and think I should enjoy the day but not overeat and keep making good choices…thats all I can do from my side.

Merry Christmas and thanks so much for the blog friendship, am pleased I found your blog…it truly has helped me alot on my journey.
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..Good bye Sarah =-.

5. Mia says:

Merry Christmas to You and Yours!

This is my favorite time of the year and we will be spending it with family! Yes, there will be food which I plan on enjoying. I do recognize that one day’s choices do not mean I’ll gain all the weight back. But I will have to take more care in the following days to get the exercise in along with the fruits, vegetables, lean protein…

And a Blessed New Year!

Mia

6. Anonymous Fat Girl says:

Can’t wait to see your first video!

I’ve often wondered what successful maintenance would be like. I’ve never succeeded at it. I guess there are ups and downs just like during weight loss.

By the way your tree is gorgeous. Ours is such a hodge-podge of old stuff. I really need to get some ornaments after the holidays for next year. Hopefully next year I’ll be celebrating how far I’ve come and be maintaining like you! 🙂 Have a great Christmas.
    .-= Anonymous Fat Girl´s last blog ..Fat ass to gym rat, week 7, video 3 =-.

7. Nicole says:

Diane, great advice! I posted something somewhat along the same line this morning. There’s more than food, right? : )

Your tree is stunning! Merry Christmas!

8. Sunny says:

Good Lord, woman, how tall is that tree? And I love the sprig of whatever at the very top!!!

Diane, I just copied and printed your last 3 paragraphs, because they are so important to me. Thank you for those three paragraphs; they are amazing, as are you.

Have a marvelous Christmas, my new friend! God bless you!
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..Happy Birthday, My Wonderful Baby Girl!!!! =-.

9. julie says:

I’m starting to learn these maintenance things, it’s kind of fun. I’m still learning my way, but I’m finding my balance wrt how much/often I can indulge, how much exercise I need to do, how much I should eat on an everyday basis, etc.
    .-= julie´s last blog ..Heroin = Cigarettes = Sugar ?!?! =-.

10. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Weight by the Seashore shared a wonderful quote on her blog the other day: It’s not what happens between Christmas and New Year’s that counts; it’s what happens between New Year’s and Christmas.

I’ve had far more sugary treats this year than usual (of course, when you usually have one cookie a week, two is an extravaganza!), but that’s just part of the season. As long as it doesn’t become a way of living, I’m A-OK with it. (It only took me about 3 months to realize all of this.:))

Wishing you and your family the merriest of Christmases!
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..A White Christmas, of Sorts =-.

11. Sagan says:

Diane, I always get so much out of your posts.

It looks like you’re having a lovely holiday. I like that kind of mindset, too: appreciating when things go “wrong” or “not according to plan”, because we ALWAYS learn something from it!
    .-= Sagan´s last blog ..Day 24 of the 200 Reps Challenge =-.