An Unexpected Request

Good Tuesday after Christmas! I hope that everyone had a nice, relaxing holiday. We enjoyed all of our activities throughout the month of December, but the closer we got to Christmas the less we had to do. The last office party was December 22nd, and the food wasn’t fabulous so I didn’t have to worry about eating too much of that!

We just hung out together as a family and enjoyed exchanging gifts and having a laugh over some less than stellar selections. (There are always a few every year. . .)

One funny thing happened this Christmas season that I didn’t expect. I shared in a post last week that I picked three desserts this year to make: Sugar cookies, Cranberry Nut Pound Cake, and Cheesecake. And I did make those, and we all enjoyed them very much.

Imagine my surprise when John started wandering around the house on Thursday (Christmas Eve). He went into the pantry and came back out. He opened the refrigerator door and then closed it back. He walked through the living room and back into the kitchen. He looked lost. So I said, “What are you doing?” He looked at me, hesitated and said, “I think I need some cookies.” I looked at him and  asked him, “Do you really want me to make you cookies?” He shrugged his shoulders and said, “It kinda doesn’t feel like Christmas Eve without something sweet to munch on.” He then looked at me, trying to gauge my willingness and said, “Well, if you don’t mind. . .”

I have to say that I was surprised. I thought we had a lot of sweets already, but he didn’t. And, if you’ve ever been in a relationship you know there are certain signals that are easily readable. John rarely asks for anything, so his comment of “Well, if you don’t mind. . .” let me know that he really did want some cookies for Christmas Eve.

So, being the generally good wife that I am, I asked him what kind of cookies would make Christmas Eve complete, and he chose oatmeal chocolate chip. So I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I have to say that although the cookies were an unexpected addition to our food plan, they weren’t completely unwelcome. All the kids love that recipe as do I. When I was a little girl my mom would make the same recipe and freeze them in anticipation of the upcoming holiday. Unfortunately for me, I discovered that I loved those cookies frozen and would eat and eat them right out of the freezer!

So we all had a few cookies and enjoyed them on Christmas Eve. I’m glad I made them as they brought back memories for all of us. I’m glad also that I can control myself around those cookies whereas in the past I would have pinched a few every time I walked by the plate. It’s so encouraging to me when I read your blogs and find that you are learning the same thing that I did along my journey. You can have the occasional (or unexpected) treat and still achieve and maintain your goals. It’s very freeing isn’t it?

As this holiday season winds up and the New Year approaches I was wondering how you are feeling with regards to unexpected food offerings. Are you feeling more in control of your choices and happier with your level of “resistence.” Or is this an area where you still struggle?  Diane

33 thoughts on “An Unexpected Request

1. Joanna Sutter says:

I am feeling in control. Just a few short days of clean eating puts my mind and body back into focus. Right after the holidays I realize how much better my body feels and looks when I fuel it with veggies, healthy fats, and lean proteins instead of cookies and too many carbs. And, when I “need” a cookie…I bust out my favorite recipes and give them a healthy shake!
    .-= Joanna Sutter´s last blog ..Sometimes You Just Need A Cookie =-.

2. Tyler says:

I can control what I eat when I eat it. If I want a chocolate chip cookie, I’ll have it and play basketball for a little while longer that night. It’s all about moderation and accepting one cookie someone offers you and not taking half the plate from them.

3. Amy H. says:

That is such a cute story about your husband. I can just picture the look on his face – how sweet. And equally sweet that you can make those for him. Just a lovely story. Anyway, having that stuff around is something I still struggle with. I look forward to the day when I can figure it out.
    .-= Amy H.´s last blog ..Nobody Died =-.

4. Moria says:

I think it’s nice you made the cookies. I probably would have too, but found it really hard to resist eating them. Would have made them if you were in weight loss mode Diane? See that’s what gets me – when to draw the line between making someone happy and making me happy. Because right now I don’t have the control to resist.

5. Sara N. says:

You were very nice to make him cookies – I think it shows you guys have a great realtionships – because he probably wouldn’t have asked if he thought you wouldn’t make them for him!

I would have made a kind that I didn’t really care for, because cookies can be dangerous for me! That way I could make them, but not eat them. I would have thrown coconut in them and that would have made them safe!!

6. Lori says:

With some “convincing,” I’m feeling a little bit better about not feeling too out of control with my choices. I’m trying not to let guilt overwhelm me, which is something I tend to do a lot.
    .-= Lori´s last blog ..The week in Review… =-.

Diane, as a post people can relate too! I am thankful that after many years of struggling with this “I have to eat everything at the holiday celebration cause after that I can’t eat anything fun” stuff, I am past that. I was way too restrictive in my earlier years & so I used to holidays to go crazy. Now, I know that all thru the year, I can enjoy a treat here & there & it does not effect my overall plan or even maintenance. It is a learning experience on how to deal with your relationship with food.
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Holiday Hangover Help! =-.

For me it is control that has come for other reasons. Certain foods ( those high in sugars) give me instant nausea for some reason. Happily, this allows me to bake, receive treats and go to parties with no problem. I can eat a small nibble of the stuff, but more than a bite or two I become extremely nauseous. it has been that way all my life, but for a long period of my life I would ignore the sensation for really dumb reasons .Age seems to force you to listen to your body more closely. And I am giggling about the subtle hints ! My husband does the same thing. I think when you have been in a relationship long enough(Bob and I are married 28 years), you can almost smell the subtle requests before they are spoken. The turn of the head, the expression, and you know there is a request that will be spoken next. And often it is such a small thing requested, but it goes a long way to filling up the love bank. Good for you for fulfilling the request !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Lazy day discovery =-.

9. Julie says:

I have felt horribly out of control this season, but then again, I’m just at the beginning and this is all new to me. I have to admit, I felt terribly guilty this Christmas because I did not make 8 kinds of cookies, fudge, pies etc. In fact, I didn’t make a single thing. On Christmas eve, my wonderful teenage daughter made some cookies with my kids and a couple other sweets for Christmas day. It was very hard for me. My daughter then informs me she’s lost weight because there’s “nothing good to eat in the house” Sigh.. I think it’s very sweet that you made your hubby the cookies!

10. Sunny says:

I am definitely more in control of my resistance. I allow myself the occasional “splurge”, but a splurge now results in maybe 1-1.5 pound gain, not 2-4 pound gain, so I guess it’s all good. I wish I could do a contained splurge and maintain, but it apparently isn’t in the cards for me. Probably because I’m staying at 1,200 calories most day…any little (and I do mean little) splurge always gives me a good pound gain. I think mostly in sodium-causing fluid retention, but still. Fortunately, 2-3 good days afterward always brings that gain right off, and then some. I am learning as much about patience as I am about portion control on this journey. LOL
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..I’m the CHAMPION!!! =-.

11. Anonymous Fat Girl says:

Your husband John sounds a lot like my husband John. 🙂 Last night my husband rolled into the kitchen and was very irritable and grumpy because he couldn’t find anything to snack on (ie: that wasn’t “healthy”). I had to chuckle a bit on that one. 🙂

I’m a recovering sugar addict and cookies are definitely a weakness for me. I’ve done pretty good this holiday though and I’m proud of myself. It’s all about being in control.
    .-= Anonymous Fat Girl´s last blog ..Moving past “All or Nothing” when learning how to eat =-.

12. Fran says:

When I´m at home or at work I´m in control but when I visit people who serve food (usually not the healthy ones) I am struggling. I still can’t control myself then but I’m working on it.

It’s nice that you did bake the cookies and you all enjoyed it.
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A year in my life: 2009 =-.

13. MySensei says:

What a sweet wife 🙂 How could you not make those cookies for him! Although the temptation and struggle is so prominent during the seasons, it only adds to the everyday battle even more. Its a nice treat to have such goodies during the holidays…but in moderation!! (As hard as that can be!!)
    .-= MySensei´s last blog ..Stick to Your Resolutions This Year! =-.

not suggesting that you do this – but somewhere I read a blogger where they bake cookies as their Christmas eve activity. I think there were a housefull of guests – so they baked them and then ate them – none left with her.

I think that one factor in your favor is that you live with so many people. A batch of anything – everyone has some – and then it is pretty much gone (at your house). I think this is a huge plus for you.

recipe???
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Measurements =-.

15. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

I’m glad all of you got to enjoy some cookies on Christmas Eve.

I have a much easier time these days with unexpected food than I used to in the past. For me the key is to stop and think if I really want to eat the food and how it fits into my overall food intake for the day. Unfortunately, in the past I often didn’t stop and think…

I have greatly enjoyed my ability to control myself around those unexpected treats. To allow myself to have one or two, if I really wanted and enjoyed them, has been very freeing indeed. I found myself eating less this Christmas than before and I believe that’s because I went ahead and allowed the treats, instead of deeming them off limits.

17. Tony says:

I’m not there yet where I can enjoy treats like cookies without eating a ton of them. Portion control is definitely the hardest part of weight loss for me. I’m glad that you were able to indulge without overdoing it. I think that’s a key part of your success :).
    .-= Tony´s last blog ..The Art of Cooking =-.

18. Brooke says:

I wish I were more in control. it seems to be an all or nothing thing for me. either i’m in complete control – almost to the point of being obsessed, or i’m not in control at all.
    .-= Brooke´s last blog ..Christmas Eve =-.

19. brenda says:

I am getting there with my self control, but sometimes it comes out of no where. My husband made his peanut butter fudge for the holidays and I was only going to have one. I probably had a couple of pieces every day. But I did make sure I had a place for them in my daily meals so I am getting better. There was a time when I would have ate most of them and then blamed it on everyone else when he asked were they went (or even lied and said they fell on the floor and the dog got them)
    .-= brenda´s last blog ..One little word =-.

20. Kat says:

We attended several holiday gatherings this year and I definitely ate outside of my normal routine, but not once did I feel overly stuffed. That is the feeling that gets me into trouble. I feel physically stuffed and then my emotionally I get on my case for letting myself get stuffed. It is not a fun loop of emotions. I am happy that I didn’t go there this year. We had lots of fun with friends and enjoyed ourselves without overly stuffing ourselves. It was good…:-)
    .-= Kat´s last blog ..A little down time can do a world of good….. =-.

21. suzanne says:

I have to admit if feel as though i’m pretty much in control. For instance tomorrow we’re going out to lunch with friends. I’ve already looked up the nutrition stats online and know what i’ll be ordering 🙂
    But cookies, in my house!!! I might just have lost control with them.

22. christieo says:

even though i’ve come so far and even did pretty good this holiday season, i could have done better. i still have some work to do, but my mindframe is a lot better than it was, that’s for sure!!

23. Babbalou says:

My experience is similar to Joanna’s experience – I have realizee I feel better when I stick to my low carb plan which features lots of fresh vegetables, lean proteins and small servings of fresh fruit and complex carbs. I did indulge in some sweets over the Christmas holiday, including some candy which I rarely eat (except for my allowed square of 85% dark chocolate) but my tastes have definitely changed – a serving or two of sweets over a few days and I’m done for at least a few months. It doesn’t even sound good to me now. I never thought I’d see the day when sweets didn’t call to me, but I’m there and it feels good!