Homemade Pretzels & A Thank You

In my morbidly obese days, food courts in the mall were heaven. Cookies bigger than my head, Cinnabon rolls warm and gooey, Chinese food fried and greasy, and humongous slices of pizza. Those food offerings went away along with the 158 pounds I lost. I didn’t want to spend my food allotment of calories on junk, so we rarely, if ever partook of food court food like that anymore.

Imagine my happiness when a soft pretzel franchise opened up. I did my research online and found that the pretzels were low in fat, and only had about 200 calories per pretzel. If we split them up among our family, it made for a great little surprise while appeasing the little (and big) kids who were tired of shopping. But, they were pricey. So I found a look alike recipe online – altered to make it even more “real” tasting and make them occasionally as a special treat.

Here, for your enjoyment is the recipe for Homemade Soft Pretzels which are delicious!!

Ingredients:

• 1 1/2 cups very warm water
  • 1 1/2 t. dry yeast
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 3 cups regular flour

Ingredients for “bath”

• 2 cups very warm water
  • 2 T baking soda

Stuff for “after cooking”

• coarse (Kosher) salt
  • 2 T butter (melted and real)

Directions:

1. Put warm water in mixing bowl. Add flour on top of water. In separate parts of the bowl, place brown sugar, salt, and yeast. Mix with a dough hook or by hand until very elastic. (It takes me about 10 minutes of hand kneading, or about 5 minutes of mixer kneading.) You may have to add in more flour, I almost always do. You are looking for a soft, almost sticky dough – not tough!

Homemade Pretzel Dough

2. Let rise for about 45 minutes. It won’t completely double.

3. Break into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope. When I say long, I mean as long as your counter will allow you to roll it. You are aiming for about 1/2″ thick or less. Wrap into pretzel shape.

Rolling Out Homemade Pretzels

4. Now the strange part – after you’ve shaped them into pretzels, dip them in the bath of warm water and baking soda. Place on greased cookie sheet. (Please grease the pan or you will be sorry – believe me! 🙂 )

5. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush sparingly with butter and sprinkle with Kosher salt. If you like a sweet pretzel, then brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture.

Homemade Pretzels Ready!

6. Enjoy!!

Baby Likes Pretzels!

And now, thank you to Tricia from Endurance Isn’t Only Physical for running the giveaway of the YouBar gift pack! It came yesterday and I can’t wait to try them!! Check out www.youbars.com where you can customize your own bars, trail mixes and more!!

You Bar Thank You

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend. We are getting the schooling room cleaned out in preparation for school starting on Monday. I hope I’m ready!!  Any plans more exciting than mine?  Diane

44 thoughts on “Homemade Pretzels & A Thank You

1. Julie Lost and Found says:

I cannot imagine right now being able to walk past those places at the mall and not really struggle. Was it super duper hard for you in the beginning? I can’t wait for the day when the very idea of that junk just nauseates me. This gives me hope!

Do you homeschool your children? We homeschooled for 7 years! I kind of miss it. They’re all back to school Monday and I’m looking forward to routine.
    .-= Julie Lost and Found´s last blog ..The Chaos, the Stress and the Nachos….Then and Now =-.

• Diane says:

Julie,

At first it was definitely hard to pass up the cookies and the other tempting offerings. But once I began to see results and feel so much better it became easier. Eventually I got to the point where I could walk past them without even wishing I could have it. And yes – we do homeschool. It’s been wonderful (most days) and I’m so glad I’ve been able to do it for this long.

Thanks for the comment!

2. Julia says:

Those look yum, I love the boys enjoying the cooking. Around here Adam enjoys it and Tarryn is not interested so they decided he will be a chef and she will be a food critic, she does love her food.

School here starts Tuesday and I am so impressed by you homeschooling all yours – you deserve a medal!!

Nothing exciting planned here.
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Recap of NY Day 🙂 =-.

It’s been a while since I have made pretzels myself, and I agree with you- they are easy to make , delicious and low fat. Did you know how the pretzel came to be ? The crunchy ones were originally made by monks who wanted to reward children for memorizing their catechisms. They were going to make the soft baked ones, who are formed to resemble arms crossed in prayer. It seems that one of the monks fell asleep while the pretzels were baking and the soft treat was transformed into the crunch treat that most know as pretzels today. Every time I make pretzels my husband reminds me of this – I think he does it to try to distract me so I do not see him eating the 5th or 6th pretzel. I am honestly afraid to make them these days because some people would lose control !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..That Saturday Thing =-.

4. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Since I am without helping hands or a mixer with a dough hook, maybe you could just send me a pretzel. Yeah, that’s a great idea! 🙂 🙂

Oddly enough, mall food courts were never my thing. I have no idea why, and I’m not going to question it now. I’ll just sit here and count my blessings. 🙂
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..Why Wait? Take One Small Step TODAY =-.

5. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

The pretzels sound great! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I love that you involve your family in cooking and baking. It’s such a fun family activity, and you are a great example that healthy food in the right portions can be part of celebrating and bringing people together…

• Diane says:

You can totally do it! Yeast breads really aren’t that hard – I found that the main thing was not being afraid to add more flour than the recipe calls for. It seems to me that oftentimes the flour is woefully understated.

6. Cynthia (It All Changes) says:

I’ve been following your blog for awhile through my reader but now my websense will finally let me post a comment…YEAH!

I love homemade pretzels. I used to work at Auntie Anne’s as a teen and love all things warm and pretzely. I think this will be a nice task to do with my women’s ministries at church next week.

• Diane says:

I’m so glad that you were able to comment – I’m sorry you were having trouble! I think these pretzels would be a great women’s ministry activity.

7. Sarah says:

Ummm, when you describe the food court like that it’s kind of a downer! 🙂 Its like you’re trying to make me feel guilty for LOVING all those things. Now, if I could just eat all those things and get my big ol’ butt to fit in these uniform pants comfortably, I’d be golden!

Definitely going to try the pretzels. Might even try it as “bread” for my turkey!

two girls back to school on monday,
    one of the girls with minor surgery on tuesday,
    it is going to be a very weird week

I have been working on my photo albums steadily all christmas break! the photo store guy not only knows me by name – he also recognizes the girls when the run in to pick up an order. I think I have been there every other day for the two full weeks!
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..New Years Resolutions – the dreaded shower =-.

9. Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42 says:

Thank you for sharing the recipe! I’m excited to try that with the kids. They are seriously going to love doing that.

We have your Parmesan Chicken regularly as well as the rice/veg wraps. I chose two more of your recipes to try, too.

Didn’t you have a weekly menu form we could print out? I should have printed it out when I saw it.

Also, have you ever had problems with plantar fasciitis? I’m suspecting I have it. I’ve been doing research on it and have all of the symptoms. I think I’m catching it early, though.

I’d love to hear from you, but I understand your busy…no hurry.

Your post was seriously “twisted” – in a good way.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42´s last blog ..5 at 5 Day 2 Report =-.

I plan to work on cleaning my playroom out and laundry…and then maybe trying to make those pretzels sometime during the winter!

I LOVE soft pretzels and those would be a fun treat to make with my kids. Thanks for sharing the recipe. 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Weigh-In … Belated Weigh-In =-.

11. josie says:

LOL, would you believe it if I told you we JUST had pretzels at the mall tonight?! How timely! I only (only!) had one w/out salt, but we LOVE these things so I will definitely have to give this recipe a shot!

Seeing your boys all helping in the kitchen is so awesome too.
    .-= josie´s last blog ..Finally an update; and new goals! =-.

12. Marcelle says:

LOVE UR PHOTO’S AND YOUR FAMILY…get such a lovely feeling seeing your family doing things together as its something you dont see that often – each child is off into his or her own world…I love family and yours really touches that emotional side of me.

Reading about the foods you used to like turned my stomach…LOL..used to love them as well…now wont touch them, wonderful how our lives have changed for the better.

You look great on your photo…
    You would get a fright seeing me, I look terrible…thank goodness for editing program for photo’s as needed to use them for my pics.
    .-= Marcelle´s last blog ..Start Cortisone pill treatment. =-.

13. MamaBearJune says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I’m going to try to catch up with reading blogs. I’m waaaay behind. This recipe looks very yummy, but now I’m doing dairy, gluten and corn free. Such a challenge! But I will confess, I think I’ve only had one mall pretzel in my life. They aren’t my biggest temptation. 🙂 Now, Orange Julius smoothies on the other hand……..! 😉

In the past we’ve normally been homebodies for New Year’s, too. We broke with tradition this year and had a FABULOUS time at a gala! It might be our new tradition.
    .-= MamaBearJune´s last blog ..More New Year’s photos =-.

14. Fran says:

We don’t have/eat pretzels here in Holland.

And no my day won’t be more exciting tomorrow than yours 🙂
    It’s back to work and back to exercising. I look forward to going back to work but on the other hand I already know how busy I’m going to be the next weeks so another week of vacation sounds really good at this time 🙂
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Saturday January 2nd 2010 =-.

15. zaababy says:

My kids are home tomorrow because of all the snow. They are thrilled. I am going to teepee the superintendent’s house. They will probably miss all week since we live in a small town with lots of students living in the country. So my plan entails keeping the kids from killing each other and to stop them from eating us out of house and home. I CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!
    .-= zaababy´s last blog ..Day 238–I hope you’ve missed me I’ve been sick! =-.

16. Michele says:

Recipe looks great and easy. Do you know the calorie content on each pretzel? We have started a low cal plan with our two daughters and want to see how it will fit in for their snacks. Thanks – new to the site and love it.

17. april says:

Oh my word what a delicious looking recipe! I love soft pretzels but haven’t had them in so long.. I plan to make them using your recipe now!!