Another Birthday

DSC_0081

With a family of nine, birthdays come around all the time. Yesterday was my husband John’s birthday and last night we celebrated in our usual fashion. The kids decorated the dining room like a diner, complete with a lighted sign and a little corner table. They had a cash register on the buffet and a tip jar in case anyone wanted to contribute!! They did such a great job.

He chose Swiss Cheese Chicken (recipe linked)as his birthday meal, which, if you don’t mind a little cream of mushroom soup, is actually a pretty healthy dish. And for dessert he asked for a Tunnel of Fudge cake. If you make it right, when you cut into it, the cake has a fudgy center. Quite yummy, and since we have so many people, everyone can have one piece today and one piece tomorrow and then the cake is all gone!

We all love our spouses of course, but when I think of John, I often think of how supportive he was during my obese years. Even at my highest weight he never made me feel like  a fatty. Instead he always encouraged me (prodded actually) to look the best I could look. He was always trying to get me to buy some new clothes or try a new hairstyle. No matter how self depreciating I was about myself, he never joined in and made me feel bad about myself.

Even then I couldn’t believe he still thought I was attractive. I felt like a cow 99% of the time, but I suppose he didn’t see the same thing in the mirror that I did. All I saw were the ugly hips, thighs, and abdomen but he saw inside. I still appreciate that about him.

As I tried diet after diet, he was always encouraging and willing to help me. And when I fell off every wagon I got up on, he never criticized me when I said, “Let’s go to McDonald’s for a snack of fries and a chocolate shake.” Instead he just went with me, and never said a word about the quick failure of that particular diet.

None of us is perfect in any relationship, but he really did his best to prop up my self esteem during those really dark years.

I often wonder if I would have been as supportive of him as he was of me. I hope so!!

So on this, his birthday weekend, I just wanted to say Happy Birthday to my hubby! Can’t wait to see what this year holds for our family.  Diane

43 thoughts on “Another Birthday

1. Erin says:

Happy Birthday, John! Looks like you all had a wonderful birthday celebration! Beautiful family! That recipe looks spectacular…wish my tummy could handle dairy products! Maybe I’ll try to tweak it a bit…
    .-= Erin´s last blog ..Holy Yum! =-.

2. erin says:

What a fun way to celebrate a birthday. It’s so great that John was so supportive of you. I too am thankful that Stephen never made me feel unattractive or like a failure but loved me when I was my heaviest. In a way, I’m thankful that when he first knew me, I was heavy because it somehow convinced me that he loved me for me and would be okay with whatever changes my body goes through.
    .-= erin´s last blog ..Friday Five: Random Facts About Me =-.

Happy Birthday John ! It just goes to prove that our worst critics are often found in the mirror- to the rest of the world we often appear to be wonderful, lovely and lovable people. And it looks like a good time was had by all !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..I want to know =-.

4. Laura Miller says:

What a tribute to a good man! How wonderful that he was so supportive of you…many would not have been so supported of their wives.

P.S. Love your articles…and thanks for including recipes!

5. Melissa says:

Happy Birthday to your WONDERFUL husband. You have a beautiful family. I hope you got him something to keep the boys away from your oldest daughter…I bet the boys are beating down your door!!
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..Running in the Cold =-.

6. Carla says:

What a wonderful husband! My husband has also been supportive, thankfully. Over the years he hasn’t said a word about all the money I spent on weight loss books, Weight Watchers, personal trainers, gym memberships, etc. This was a nice post.
    .-= Carla´s last blog ..My plan for this week =-.

Happy (belated) Birthday, John! I truly believe that a supportive husband is crucial to a woman’s self esteem – whether she’s heavy or thin.

You are both blessed!