They Like It, I Don’t

Yesterday we got snow! Here in the mid-South snow is pretty unusual, especially in this volume. I have to confess that as much as the rest of the family loves the snow I have a hard time embracing it.

It’s cold. It’s wet. It’s hard to drive in – especially with a rear wheel drive 12 passenger van!

But, it is absolutely beautiful and I do love seeing the little kids, the big kids, and the biggest kid of all – my husband enjoying the snow.

I'm standing in the garage so I don't get wet!
I’m standing in the garage so I don’t get wet!

Then, after they had a great time running around in the snow for an entire hour, they decided that building a snowman would be great fun and it sure looked like it as I watched them from the warmth of the kitchen window! It was funny because they used chocolate chips for the mouth, and by the time it had gotten dark the chips were gone. I asked John if he sneaked out and ate them but he staunchly denied any involvement in the missing chocolate chips!

I'm standing on the porch!
I’m standing on the porch!  The little guy below missed the first picture so he got a solo shot!

He missed the first picture so he got a solo shot!

So it was a snowy Friday and today brings the promise of a bit more snow. We stocked up on candy, chips and cookies so we are good to go. Just kidding! We actually have a lot of healthy food with just a little chocolate thrown in for good measure. I’m off to take more indoor/outdoor pictures. And later I’m going to bribe the older kids with the promise of a movie if they will get started shoveling the driveway!! I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful weekend.  Diane

37 thoughts on “They Like It, I Don’t

1. nancy says:

Last year at this time we had nearly fifty inches of the white stuff. Had about three days of school closing (yay yay) now we had barely got about 16 inches but has been colder. You are so lucky! Oh yeah, having chocolate for kids that are locked inside helps the parents.
    .-= nancy´s last blog ..a lazy friday =-.

2. Julia says:

Wow you had a lot of snow to make such a great snowman, we get about an inch or 2 a year and my kids are in heaven with that. Too funny about the chocolate dissapearing LOL.
    Have a fun white weekend.
    .-= Julia´s last blog ..Fast food Friday =-.

3. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

I don’t think I knew you were also in the mid-South! I’m in Memphis, and we got mostly ice. I love snow, but am not so fond of ice.

Now that you know I’m also from the mid-South, let me assure you that I have a rock-solid alibi for the time period covering the purloined choco-chips. 🙂
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..A Different Kind of Snow Day =-.

4. Amy says:

Great pictures, Diane! Isn’t it great to see the kids have such a blast in the snow? We actually woke up to more snow this morning too, it was a big scary driving to piano lessons on the slippery streets.
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Simple Saturday Salad =-.

Great snowman !
    The odd thing here is even though we get a lot of snow, kids rarely ever build snowmen or it the sled hills here any more. You don’t even see many snow angels either. Lot’s of outdoor play in the warmer months, but in the cold it seems everyone turns into hibernating bears.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Water and walnut hummus =-.

6. erin says:

Hahaha, I love how you stayed under cover to take all the pictures. I love the snow, but I don’t like the ice we got! We just went to Target, and it was a little scary. We won’t be going anywhere else. 🙂
    .-= erin´s last blog ..Today Is a Great Day =-.

I’m with you Diane! I can’t stand the snow. This is my first year living in a place with a driveway to shovel, and it has increased my dislike for it tenfold. I have to get up 30 minutes earlier to shovel out most days. When my contract is up, I’m moving to California 😛
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Survivor =-.

Our snow comes likes yours, sporadically and I always enjoy it like you do…from inside – popping out to take a couple pictures here and there. We just got a bunch the last two days and my kids played in it for hours.

I do enjoy it though, but I haven’t lived in a climate that gets snow for more than a couple years at a time since we move so much.

Have a great Sunday and here’s to praying we both get to and from church safely tomorrow. 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Article – The 10% Solution =-.

9. karen@fitnessjourney says:

I sort of enjoy shoveling the snow. It’s a good workout and there’s that good feeling after you get back inside the warm house and curl up with a cup of hot tea. Of course, letting someone else do the work while you supervise isn’t bad either.
    .-= karen@fitnessjourney´s last blog ..Do You Look Your Age? =-.

10. Fran says:

Great pics, I can imagine that your children love it, especially when you don’t have it that often.

We haven’t had as much snow as we’ve had since half December in years and I’m so tired of it by now. In Holland we’re not prepared for these weather conditions.

Enjoy cocooning at home these days (that’s the good part about snow 🙂 )
    .-= Fran´s last blog ..A day in my life: Sunday January 31th 2010 =-.

11. tammy ortagus says:

The snow is beautiful!! They teased us saying we would get some Friday night, but it never happened, and usually doesn’t! I can handle driving in the snow….it’s the ice I hate! Beautiful pics…thanks for sharing them. 🙂
    .-= tammy ortagus´s last blog ..Weekend Recap =-.

12. MySensei says:

Ahhh look at all that snow! It’s been years since I was in the cold (how I love Florida!) but the kids look like they were having so much fun 🙂 and what a cute snowman!!!