Calcium and Weight Loss

milk

There are a lot of suggestions on ways that you can increase your weight loss success. One study recently published in the British Journal of Nutrition showed that if an obese woman’s calcium consumption is low, then increasing her calcium intake while cutting calories can result in a much higher weight loss.  In the study,  women who were deficient in calcium consumption were given 1200 mg of calcium a day or a placebo.  The women who were given the calcium lost an average of 13.3 pounds, as opposed to the placebo group, who only lost 6.2 pounds.  (See study here)

When I read this I wondered if we will ever really know all aspects of weight loss and maintenance.  Over the years there have been so many different theories, medication possibilities and studies concerning weight loss.  Thousands of studies are ongoing as you read this.  For me, I enjoy finding our new information about diet and weight loss.  I also know from personal experience that the only sure fire way to lose weight naturally is to cut the amount of calories you consume and increase the amount of physical exercise you do. But I also know it’s important to stay on top of those things that may help us get to our destination in a healthy way.

Here are some good sources of calcium:

• Milk (whole for children under 2, and reduced fat or skim for everyone else)
  • Yogurt, a lot of cheeses, and buttermilk
  • Green vegetables like broccoli, collards, kale, mustard greens, turnip greens, and bok choy or Chinese cabbage are good sources of calcium.
  • Salmon and sardines canned with their soft bones.
  • Shellfish, almonds, Brazil nuts, and dried beans are also sources of calcium.
  • You can also find calcium enriched breads and orange juices, which can be helpful if you don’t eat a lot of calcium rich foods.

When I lost 150 pounds using my Fit to the Finish plan, I was careful to take a good multivitamin every day, along with a calcium supplement.  I realized since my calorie consumption was reduced during that time, it would be wise to take a multivitamin.  I never took any kind of diet pill – ever, and I hope you don’t either. Additionally, calcium is not only for bone and teeth strength, but key organs and bodily functions, such as your heart and metabolism, need calcium to operate at their best.

As you are going on your journey to a healthier you, I hope that you are keeping the overall nutritional health of your body in mind.  Sure, you can lose weight by cutting calories, but I think it’s important to be mindful of what kinds of foods you are eating.  A chocolate chip cookie and a fat free yogurt have about the same number of calories, but the yogurt’s nutritional value far exceeds that of the cookie, especially if it’s Greek yogurt.  As you are making choices throughout your weight loss journey, never lose sight of your ultimate goal.  Your final goal should incorporate not just a lower number on the scale, but a healthier you!  Diane

To read more about the benefits of calcium in your diet, check out this site .

29 thoughts on “Calcium and Weight Loss

The more I learn, the more I see the wisdom in eating nutrient dense foods. Take milk vs any of the green leafy options for instance. Milk, cheese yogurt are all thought of as the best sources of calcium, but not necessarily so. They are higher in calories than the green leafy sources, and milk products have several chemical compounds that actually prevent the body from full absorption. Green leafies are lower in calories, more nutrient dense and do not have the chemical compounds that interfere with absorption. Milk and its products can be problematic for people with casein sensitivity and have been found to have an adverse affect on the health of women ( milk can cause problems with the ovaries) . For me it is so much more than what the scale says because I believe in all honesty overweight is simply a symptom of something much deeper happening in the body. That something is called malnutrition.
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Hey mom, what’s for dinner again ? =-.

2. Mia says:

That is really interesting about less weight loss and lower calcium levels. I wonder if it has anything to do with the body thinking it is starving/undernourished and experiencing a famine so it holds on to the fat more. (ie. slows the metabolism more)

I don’t do dairy, but certainly do eat those other excellent sources of that important mineral, calcium! Avoiding calcium depleting foods, and doing weight bearing exercises are also important factors in maintaining our health.

4. suzanne says:

I actually have to admit i’m not a milk drinker, i do eat cheese and yogurt but not all the time. But thanks to my Dr’s suggestion i have been taking a high dose of calcium supplements along with Vitamin D!! Works for me.
    .-= suzanne´s last blog ..Question day once again!! =-.

5. Brenda says:

Getting the right amount of calcium is so important to me! And pickng the right multivitamin can be confusing! I ended up asking my doctor what she recommended and also had my vit d level checked (which was low) to make sure I was getting the correct one for me. Great info on this post!!

6. Jules - Big Girl Bombshell says:

I agree. I don’t think we will ever learn the TRUE secret to weight loss – as a blanket formula. If we can just remember, and then teach our kids, to be healthy in ALL aspects of our lives, then it will come.

Please stop by my site today. There is an award and a Bombshell title for you!
    .-= Jules – Big Girl Bombshell´s last blog ..Do You Think Too Much? =-.

7. Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman says:

I’m not naturally a big fan of dairy (well, aside from cheese) but I force myself to eat it for the calcium. I’m not so much worried about the possible weight loss effects. But I do want to protect my bones from osteoporosis. And since I don’t take a multivitamin, I get all my calcium from food.
    .-= Tracey @ I’m Not Superhuman´s last blog ..Don’t Worry, Be Happy. It’ll Reduce Your Risk for Heart Disease. =-.

8. Linda says:

I like finding new information related to health too! I have been having a hard time getting enough calcium in my daily diet and know how important it is. I also read that drinking a galss of milk with a meal helps you stay satisfied longer and may help with weight loss. I’ve started to have a glass of milk with lunch to test this theory on myself. At least I’m getting my daily calcium in now!
    .-= Linda´s last blog ..I scream, you may not scream, we all may or may not scream for ice-cream! =-.

9. Jen-JensFitnessTips.com says:

I love milk! I’ve always loved it!! I probably drink too much! Is too much milk bad?! This study makes me feel that I’m at least doing a good thing by getting enough calcium everday. My boyfriend hates milk. I love it! 🙂

Jen 🙂

10. Erin says:

While I try to get plenty of calcium into my diet, I still take a multivitamin with calcium because my son and I don’t consume dairy products. We probably consume enough through our massive intake of green veggies, shellfish and almonds, but I have never really done the math. Thanks for the reminder!

11. Sunny says:

I think it’s more important than ever, when dieting to eat healthy. Firstly, since we are consuming less calories, all the more reason that those that we do consume are healthy choices. Secondly, we all should be building better eating habits for our new life; and healthy foods need to be the cornerstone of that new diet.

Great post; thanks as always!
    .-= Sunny´s last blog ..Mustering on….and Tough Love =-.

12. Siobhan says:

I’ve been trying to include more dairy in my diet. I can’t drink milk and only like full-fat cheese so I limit that. Yogurt is what I usually have, but need to incorporate it daily, I guess, since I’d have to eat six cups of broccoli to get the same amount of calcium as one cup of yogurt. Thanks for the reminder.
    .-= Siobhan´s last blog ..At Last =-.

13. Carla says:

It’s true – the ultimate goal is a healthier you. I try to remind myself of this when the scale may not be going down as fast as I would like. My main focus is on learning to eat healthier for the rest of my life! And I love milk and other dairy products!!!
    .-= Carla´s last blog ..Back to the weight room! =-.

14. Sophia says:

I gained around 2 pounds during this winter break. Usually everyone is so busy I can actually somewhat keep up with my workout and diet. During the holidays everyone is home, always eating and having fun. That left me little time to exercise.Thanks for the tips

15. billy says:

Lots of people are fearful to express their ideas, because they’re nervous about offending a possible shopper.
    Other authors don’t fully grasp their material in any respect or they are afraid to share any “secrets”.
    This post is a pleasant exception.