Favorite Snack Ideas

I’m always looking for new snack ideas for myself, the kids, and as advice to pass along to people who ask me for help in their own weight loss journeys.

I often found in my own journey that I did “fine” for the main meals of the day but would sometimes find having a healthy, filling snack a challenge. I often resorted to just a few crackers with cheese for lack of knowing what else to have. Over time; however, I did become much more adept at finding things that were more healthy and filling for snack time.

In case you, or someone in your life, needs some snack ideas this past weekend I had a brainstorming festival with myself and came up with a big list. Here it is!

Fruits:

1. Apples
  2. Apricots
  3. Bananas
  4. Blackberries
  5. Blueberries
  6. Cantaloupe
  7. Cherries
  8. Grapefruit
  9. Grapes (red, green, or purple)
  10. Honeydew Melon
  19. Plums
  20. Raspberries
  21. Strawberries
  22. Tangerines
  23. Watermelon

Applesauce (Unsweetened), Fruit Cups, and Canned Fruit in their own juice–

Dried Fruit – Try raisins, apricots, apples, cranberries, pineapple, papaya, and others with little or no added sugars. If you have a dehydrator you can do these yourself!

Frozen Fruit – Try freezing grapes or buy frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, mangoes, and melon.

Fruit Salad – Don’t add sugar like I used to.

Popsicles – Most popsicles have added sugars and should be avoided. Look for popsicles made from 100% fruit juice or make your own!

Smoothies – Blend fruit with juice, yogurt or milk, and ice.

Vegetables can be served raw with dip, fat free salad dressings, or hummus

1. Broccoli
  2. Carrot sticks or
  3. Baby Carrots
  4. Cauliflower
  5. Celery Sticks
  6. Cucumber
  7. Peppers
  8. Snap Peas
  9. Snow Peas
  10. Tomato slices
  11. Yellow Summer
  12. Squash slices
  13. Zucchini slices

Soy – Edamame are fun to eat and easy to serve. (Heat frozen edamame in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes).

Veggie Pockets – Cut whole wheat pitas in half and add veggies with dressing or hummus or just plain like I like it.

Healthy Grains (bread, crackers, cereals, etc.)

Yogurt – preferably Greek

Low-Fat Cheese – Cheese provides calcium, but often its saturated fat price tag is too high. Cheese is the number two source of heart-damaging saturated fat. Even with low-fat and reduced-fat cheese, be sure to serve with other foods like fruit, vegetables, or whole grain crackers. Try Laughing Cow Cheese – very good!

Low-Fat Pudding and Frozen Yogurt – Low-fat or fat-free pudding and frozen yogurt can be used as occasional treats, but watch out for added sugars.

Other Snack Ideas

Nuts – Since nuts are high in calories, it is best to serve them along with another snack such as fruit. A small handful of nuts is a reasonable serving size. Examples include peanuts, pistachios, almonds, walnuts, cashews, or soy nuts. Look for nuts that are unsalted.

Trail Mix – Trail mixes are easy to make and store well in a sealed container. Items to include: low-fat granola, whole grain cereals, peanuts, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dried fruits like raisins, apricots, apples, pineapple, or cranberries. These are higher in calories so use sparingly.

Question for You! What do you think of my list? Did I leave any of your favorites out? If so – please share! Diane

37 thoughts on “Favorite Snack Ideas

REALLY GOOD START OF A POST

But I think you need to add the numbers. You and I (and a ton of your other readers) know that all these are not created equal! But there might be a newbie starting out that just thinks ‘healthy’ and does not know.

I think one has to look at EACH calorie/carb total and whether or not there is a serving of PROTEIN IN there. Because a snack that is carb only – will not hold you.

the hardest thing about snacks (I htink) is remembering to eat portions and not over do it. To this day I have trouble with that.

and it is good you mentioned looking at sugar additives for dried fruit. (it is actually very hard to find dried fruit with NO added sugar).

Ditto for RAW nuts – the oil in processed nuts is heated (bad). So just looking for unsalted is not enough (in my opinion) they need to be RAW.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..Back to the alteration shop lady! =-.

• Shauna says:

Re the pitas – they are awesome cut into chips. if you give them a light spray of oil and a sprinkle of your favourite seasoning then pop into the oven til crispy. Yum!

Re Vicki’s comment – I think it’s the responsibility to the snacker to check the labels, it would take hours for Diane to put all that together 😉
      .-= Shauna´s last blog ..The Virgin Soufflés =-.

I like healthy natural peanutt butter as part of a snack if I am famished. You have to be careful with portions 2tbs is a portion and it is high in calories as well. You have to read labels to find one that is not to high in sugar. I use Smart Balance with the Best Life logo on it. Your list is a good one as Vicky said people need to look at the calories and combo of protein/carbs/fat as well.
    Thanks for making the list & for the suggestions
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..This Week =-.

3. erin says:

This is a great list! I love almonds and eating Triscuits with Laughing Cow cheese. Yum!

I also like the 100 calorie bags of kettle corn. I don’t buy a lot of 100 calorie stuff because I think it’s overpriced and often junk, but I do like that popcorn. 🙂
    .-= erin´s last blog ..March Check-Up and April Goals =-.

4. Deniz says:

Cherry tomatoes – or did I just miss ’em?

Being a savoury sort of gal, I’m a big fan of the veggies with a yoghurt-based dip… in fact, that’s what I’m eating for my lunch 🙂

BTW, edamame beans are one of my all time favourites!
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..Gym success =-.

Great list ! Like another commenter I would add air popped popcorn. We like ours plain – some enjoy it with butter buds and seasonings. Nutritious Yeast can give it a cheesy sort of taste. And like another commenter, your snack list looks like my grocery list for our meals . I think we are slowly becoming rabbits here !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Stay-cation =-.

6. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

I love dates smeared with a little nut butter. Amazing snack and feels so decadent! I eat a lot of *weird* protein type snacks, but sometimes I am more about nutrient intake than it really being a snack.

I love my lattes, and paired with some fruit – that is a great snack!
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..Maple Syrup giveaway! =-.

7. Amy S. says:

Diane, I ADORE this list… gonna post a link back to ya on my blog… great great list to print out and put on the fridge too!

Thankyou so much!
    .-= Amy S.´s last blog ..Life. =-.

8. tj says:

Great list! I love Greek (fage 0%) yogurt w/ a drizzle of honey or some fruit jam I just got at Costco- YUM! I also love cottage cheese w/ cucumbers & tomatoes cut up in it w/ salt & pepper. 🙂
    .-= tj´s last blog ..Check out my TAB =-.

9. Lara (Thinspired) says:

These are some great snack ideas, Diane. Edamame in particular is something I wouldn’t have thought of as a snack! Fruit & veggies in general are great, but I can’t do something like that veggie pockets without getting carried away 😉

Love your list, Diane! I’m seeing ideas on there for me to add to my meals. 🙂

I also love the Laughing Cow and have gotten my husband into it as well.

Homemade salsa is so easy and a good snack as well with corn tortilla chips, though we don’t eat it as well.

I don’t eat it much, but I know air-popped popcorn (as mentioned above) is a good snack as well if you want volume.

Personally, I carry 1 serving of almonds and 1-2 servings of raisins mixed together in a little baggie and keep it in my purse in case I’m out running errands and get hungry. I heard about this from someone else and I really like it.

11. BlessedMama says:

Oh, my goodness, a girl after my own heart. I love lists and alphabetized ones to boot! It was soothing my OCD just reading your column! Anyhow, of course, I too have a snack list – who could do without? Since I’m vegan, many of the items on your lists I have on mine as well. Let’s see, I’ll just add two more: lettuce roll-ups with goodies inside, and fruit with peanut butter.
    .-= BlessedMama´s last blog ..Seitan Noodle Soup =-.

12. LaToya says:

Deviled eggs with homemade hummus is my favorite snack!
    Sometimes I will also mix the yoke with yogurt and use that as a filling as well.
    Forget the sweet stuff. I’m a savory kind of gal!

13. karen@fitnessjourney says:

I like a snack that takes a bit of time to eat so I get the feeling that I’ve really indulged but without the guilt. I try to eat things like salads because they take time to chew or oatmeal with nuts and dried cherries because the warm temperature makes it difficult to scarf it down quickly.
    .-= karen@fitnessjourney´s last blog ..Guest Post: Mixed Martial Arts =-.

14. John says:

I think it’s a good list. I myself however never really eat a snack. I usually eat 4-5 times a day and a low meal is 350cal. Closest thing to a snack for me is the odd time when I get hungry late at night but then my snack in a TBSP of peanut butter. T
    .-= John´s last blog ..March Challenges Review =-.

15. empower me photo guy says:

Great list! There’s so much variety there so there’s something to suit every taste. I think that when you have stuff like this in the house it’s easy to eat healthily and so empowering to know you’re making good choices