What Do You Drink?

In case you are interested, here’s my latest blog post over at the Dr. Oz Blog. It’s called Exercise Matters.

And now onto today’s post about drinking. . .

My best friend, who sadly doesn’t live here, and I were talking on the phone the other day. She was sharing with me how she is working hard on kicking her habit of drinking diet drinks.

I didn’t tell her this because I didn’t want to discourage her in her attempt to kick her diet drink habit –  but while I was losing weight I didn’t drink nearly as much water as I should have. Confession time: I drank mostly diet drinks with a little water thrown in here and there. In my own sad defense, way back then, drinking water all the time wasn’t “in vogue.” There were no water bottles along side the diet drinks, and everyone I knew just drank tap water!

When I was morbidly obese, I drank not only diet drinks, but fruit punch, regular sodas, sweet tea, juices, and Kool-Aid. Once I decided to try losing weight again, I changed not only my eating habits but I also changed my drinking habits. I cut out all the other high calorie drinks but hung onto diet soda. The only exception was putting a splash of cranberry juice into my occasional glass of water to add a little flavor.

I had been to enough Weight Watcher’s meetings in my life to know that I shouldn’t be drinking very many of my calories. I learned this was a good tip very quickly when I went abruptly went from eating about 4000 -5000 calories a day to about 1500 – 1600 a day. Those 1500 calories didn’t  leave a lot of room for Kool-Aid!

It’s funny because once I lost all my weight I stopped drinking diet sodas altogether. Just like so many other parts of my weight loss journey evolved over time, so did my beverage choices. Sure, over the last twelve years I’ve had the occasional diet drink, or the occasional sip of John’s cherry Coke, but for the most part I just drink water throughout the day. Either plain or with a splash of juice.

I’ve gone back and forth with coffee. I’ve been pregnant so many times since I lost the weight that there were long periods of time that I drank no coffee. But when I wasn’t pregnant I would drink some coffee and enjoy it. Over the past year I have gradually cut back on my coffee consumption and have switched to green tea in the mornings. Sometimes I have caffeinated and sometimes decaffeinated. I worry about the chemicals they use to decaffeinate beverages so generally just have one cup of caffeinated green tea.

Question: I thought it would be a fun post today to find out what your drink of choice is these days and has it changed during your journey?   Diane

60 thoughts on “What Do You Drink?

1. Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble says:

Years ago I read in some woman’s magazine that diet soda was 99% water and so nutritionist and personal trainers all drank it. So I figured it was water and fine to drink. A couple years after that I had a personal trainer and her first question to me was “how much water do you drink a day?” “Well, I drink several diet cokes a day!”, I said proudly. Not the response she was looking for. Not only are diet soda full of chemicals, they also contain caffeine which is a diuretic. By drinking so much caffeine I was actually dehydrating myself instead of hydrating myself. I’ve drink mostly water these days with hot tea or ices tea probably only once a day. I still do drink diet soda but only on occasion. And I like to save coffee for the really rough mornings.
    .-= Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble´s last blog ..Making A List =-.

2. Babbalou says:

I drink two or three cups of strong coffee with half and half daily, occasionally have a cup of tea and have a glass or two of red wine in the evening. I’ve never cared for sweet drinks so never drink juice, soda or sweetened tea or coffee. The coffee and wine are my indulgences, I’m convinced that having them helps me stick to my fairly strict low carb, modest calorie eating plan. I’ll also point out that I can have a glass or two of wine in the evenings because my kids are grown and out of the house, so I’m not on driving duty anymore.

3. sexysize_12 says:

I drink non fat milk I make lattes out of it or I’ll drink it plain or over cereal.

I drink water my main staple

I drink diet soda about twice per week, working on cutting it out completely but I love the fizzy factor of it.

Wylers or hawaiian punch sugar free fruit flavored singles to go.

Black pekoe tea, peppermint tea, ginger tea, green tea

4. Katie says:

Diet pop used to run through my veins. Yep, I’m pretty sure if you cut me a year ago that I would bleed out Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. I never, in a million, zillion years thought I could give up my addiction to diet soda, but I have. Now I’m a water baby, all the way!

Now if you want to talk about giving up coffee? Let’s not. I’m trying, I really am! Oh, I love the smell and the taste and the zing I get when I have a cup of coffee. Sigh. But I have cut back, and this past month have been substituting peppermint or lemon tea, only drinking coffee up until around noon.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..Sunny day today! =-.

I drink coffee, water, sweet tea with splenda, diet sodas and the occasional regular soda.

I’ve switched from powdered creamer in my coffee to real half-n-half when I realized it had less calories than the fake stuff a few months ago. That took some getting used to, and now I don’t like it any other way.

I drink way more water and if I have diet soda it’s usually only one a day. I know I need to get the water in, so that is always priority.

The tea has started showing up again now that the weather has gotten warmer, but since it’s made with splenda I don’t mind drinking more of it than diet soda. However, I still make myself get that water in.

The occasional soda is very occasional now, not nearly one a day like a year ago. Sometimes it’s just a sip of my husband’s and other times(of the month) it’s having my very own can. 🙂

Nice post. 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Busy as a Bee =-.

6. zaababy says:

Because I’ve had a large family for a long time, we’ve existed on milk and water with the occasional juice thrown into the mix. That is still how it is for me, except I tend to want OJ with my breakfast. When I quit smoking years ago, I decided that I didn’t want to be addicted to ANYTHING ever again. So out goes the tea and pop and lemonade and anything that seems to take over. I allow myself the occasional something special on a special occasion! How yummy pink lemonade is! I had a root beer float last night: one cup of root beer with 1/2 cup of ice cream and yes, it was smaller than everyone else’s but that didn’t matter. It still tasted so good. There’s still nothing better than a glass filled with ice and water!!

7. Ashley says:

You know, I was totally clueless as to how many calories were in juices, pop, beer, etc. Once I got a clue (started my weight loss journey) those things were D-O-N-E. (OK, not the beer, but it was consumed in much fewer quantities.)

I’ve gone back and forth with Diet Coke. I like it, but I don’t drink it often because it’s kind of expensive. I think if I set out to all-out ban it, I would want it a lot more. So I will just stick to drinking it every now and then. I saw diet black cherry pop at publix for 79 cents a few weeks and HAD to have it, and I know my fiance (a health nut) didn’t want me to, but we brought it home and it was delicious. But once it was gone, it’s not like I was dying to have it again.

I know the chemicals aren’t good for us, but I really don’t think diet drinks can be blamed for most of the obesity in this country.
    .-= Ashley´s last blog ..Wedding planning Friday: Ashley and weddings: A love story =-.