Share What You Know!

I’ve done a lot of speaking on weight loss over the years, but it’s usually been to smallish groups of people. Of course I talk in front of people when I teach my class and have spoken to various other groups. So when an organization in my hometown called me and asked me to do a 10-minute motivational talk before their 3-mile wellness walk I said, “Sure.” Then the gentleman on the other end of the line then told me they usually had about 1,500 people in attendance. I gulped. “No problem,” I said.

I hung up and took a deep breath. It was only 10 minutes – surely I could do that. So over the course of the next week I wrote my speech and practiced every time I went walking or riding my bike. Fortunately I don’t run into anyone while I’m exercising so no one was there to laugh at me or wonder why I was quietly talking to myself!

Due to strong storms and flooding here in Tennessee the event was rescheduled twice. I thought for sure it would be cancelled altogether, but the weather cleared and the event was held this past Saturday.

I loved the purpose of the event – to promote wellness among the children and youth of our community. I believe this is so important, because childhood obesity is a very serious problem. It makes me so sad when I see overweight children who are already struggling with the emotional and physical side effects of obesity related diseases. It’s just wrong.

I hope that events like this will stir up the grassroots communities that made our country strong. I know the government wants to regulate fast food companies, food manufacturers, and more – but without the common every day moms and dads leading the way – all the regulations in the world will have a hard time changing individual choices on a daily basis.

The JumpStart Walk was led off by our mayor and school superintendent and then I did my talk.  As you can see from the picture the wind was very strong. I had my notes in my hand, but because of the wind I knew they’d fly right off the podium. So I did my talk from memory. And I didn’t forget any of my points, which made me very happy. And after I talked the crowd dispersed and headed off on their 3 mile walk!

I hope that you will take every opportunity you can to talk to people you know about healthy living. Rather it’s in front of a large crowd or simply speaking to friends at lunch, sharing your knowledge of nutrition and fitness can begin to make a difference in every life you touch. Even leading by example is a very effective way of showing people how to eat right. Your actions can be very inspiring to other people, even if you don’t say a word.

Question:  Have you ever had a chance to share what you know? How did it feel? Diane

34 thoughts on “Share What You Know!

the rescheduling had to make this VERY hard for you! To have it keep ‘hanging’ out there.

Are you reprinting your speech as a post? Would love to hear it.
    .-= vickie´s last blog .. =-.

2. Diana says:

Wow, I wouldn’t be able to do it honestly. I’m terrible at making presentations/making speeches, I get soooo nervous!
    It must have felt amazing though, knowing your words could help others 🙂
    .-= Diana´s last blog ..Flashback: Summer ’09 =-.

3. Marcelle says:

I have no doubt in my mind that you were everything I imagine you to be…so inspirational…
    Can imagine you being nervous – and the practicing I understand as well…we want to do our best.

I used to speak at high school – promoting the Gym I worked for which is the biggest gym group in South Africa, unlike America we only have about 3 big groups.
    I then had my dancing girls do a routine or I would give them a fun aerobic class.

I also used to help a friend of mine who has a modelling school…did talks on healthy eating…

But NEVER to 1 500 people!!!

4. John says:

Congrats! I have told a few people what I know when they ask and it feels good. I only “preach” when they ask as I know not everyone is receptive to the message.

People only believe what they see us live. Actions really do talk louder than words. If people ask for my help then I will help them other wise I keep it to myself like John said in the above post.
    I’m sure you inspired the crowd with your incredible success story of losing the weight and most importanly keeping it off!
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Fitness Blogging Resumes =-.

6. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

Diane, you are just so gorgeous and inspiring!

I try my best to get everyone on my healthy eating bandwagon, but it’s often exhausting and sometimes futile. I wrote about it in my post today. It’s hard to stay the straight and narrow when everyone around you is bucking it. But, I know that it is the only way for me. And so… I keep on keepin’ on… 🙂
    .-= Marisa (Loser for Life)´s last blog ..The Dark Side =-.

Congratulations on speaking at the event ! Re-scheduling can be very nerve wracking !

As far as healthy eating information, all of my speaking has been done on an informal one on one kind of way, but I have taught classes on other subjects.It always makes me feel very responsible for passing on the best possible information to others and I spend a lot of time double checking facts, statistics and then sharing how I have found these things applied to my own life. Largest group I have taught was 10 people at a time,and I enjoyed it !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Mother’s Day =-.

8. Emergefit says:

Good for you!!!! You look great up there, and all for a good purpose! In agreement with what Dr. J. said. I talk every month or so; usually to church groups, Rotary groups etc. Every so often I get to talk with a middle school or high school group, and they seem to be the only ones who really listen. The adults I speak to hear me, but, almost as though their ears are my from Teflon, refuse to accept my gospel. Still, I speak because it is needed. I hope you do many more of these — seek them out even. One thing yu might consider is getting involved with NSA (Natonal Speakers Association).

Good for you Diane, good for you!!
    .-= Emergefit´s last blog ..Game off… Game on… =-.

9. Lance says:

Diane!
    Very awesome – you getting up there and doing that!!! What a shining example of healthy living you ARE!!! And – I love the pictures!!!

I did a talk this past week….to, a *slightly* smaller group (about 20 people). Okay – so YOU had a WAYYYY bigger audience!!! Keep on motivating!!!
    .-= Lance´s last blog ..Sunday Thought For The Day =-.

10. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

How neat! You are such a role model to show how to live a healthy life. That’s what we should celebrate is the living the healthy lifestyle. Not the weight loss itself so much, but treating our bodies as they deserve to be treated.

I remember what Richard Simmons said on the Dr Oz show that day (not sure if you had made it into the audience by this point). He said that you never know who you are going to inspire on any given day. That just stuck with me.
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..Happy Mother’s Day! =-.

11. asithi says:

I talk about exercise and eating healthy is almost every setting. That is a big interest of mine so it just comes out no matter who I am with. I have to admit that over the years, I have seen a few people change some of their unhealthy habits (no idea if I had any influence), but I know within my inner social circle I do. My friends are taking probiotics and my family are eating organic. I think my friends and family are making the connection that how you live and what you eat makes a big difference on how you feel and age.

12. Amy says:

I’ve done some speaking on budgeting and money saving tips – at various ladies groups.. and I’ve led worship and given testimony in church (300+) but other than the odd one on one conversation, nothing on weight loss yet. You’ve earned this, Diane.. I mean, you have lost significant weight, you’ve KEPT it off, and now for years, you are dedicating your life to helping others. Someday, that may be me, if it’s my calling.

So glad you got this opportunity!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Monday blahs =-.

13. Amy says:

I love that first picture of you with the flag behind you! I think it is so important to share what we have learned and hopefully make a difference in someone’s life. That is why my friend Linda and I do our workshops – we enjoy sharing with others. But sharing with others also has a benefit to the person who is sharing – it reinforces the lesson for yourself! One of my favorite sayings is:
    “To learn, read.
    To know, write.
    To master, teach.”
    And this is something I truly believe in! Good for you, Diane, I know it must have been scary to get up there in front of 1500 people (I get nervous just for my 12 workshop participants – every time!)
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Happy Mother’s Day! =-.

What a wonderful blessing, to be able to speak to so many kids and adults about such an important topic! And you looked fantastic doing it, I might add, if pictures are any indication 🙂

I love any chance to talk about healthy living, big or small. Of course, people seem less than thrilled to hear that my ‘magic bullet’ is perseverance, time, calorie counting and exercise, but they seem happy for me nonetheless. Anything I can do to help or encourage another who is struggling is so great, and I relish any chance to help if I can. I have been so blessed in this and other areas, the least I can do is communicate that fact when given the chance.
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..Great news! =-.

15. MySensei says:

That is so great Diane! 1,500 people – you go girl! I would have been so nervous, but you look so calm and collected in the pictures – so great.

16. Nicole, RD says:

You are such an inspiration! What a wonderful opportunity for you to instill such sound habits in others! Kudos!

I get to share with others and get paid for it…win-win. I am blessed!
    .-= Nicole, RD´s last blog ..Up with protein! =-.

17. South Beach Steve says:

What a testament to your success and impact on the community Diane. I have had an opportunity to share what I know, but not in a venue anywhere nearly as large as this. Congrats to you.

By the way, I hope the flooding hasn’t been too hard on you and your family.
    .-= South Beach Steve´s last blog ..I Should Be Happy =-.