Resting Too Much!

couch potatoBeing overweight wasn’t just hard on me, but it was also hard on my family. I was often tired, and lacked energy for participating in activities that most people do without thinking.  Going shopping for clothes, standing for long periods of time, walking up stairs and playing with my children were hard for me. I did all those things, but I quickly tired, and often found excuses to cut the trip or activity short. I remember one time when we were watching our daughter play soccer, and we had forgotten to bring our folding chairs. I stood there, and stood there for what seemed like an eternity, but was in reality only about 20 minutes. Finally, I looked at John and said, “The bugs out here are bothering me, so I’m just going to sit in the car.”  And so I left him standing there – alone – to cheer on the team and our oldest daughter. As I sat in the car I berated myself for being a wimp, and not having the endurance to stand for just a few minutes. Once again I was angry with myself for being so fat.

One game that I did like to play with my daughters when they were small was the “rest game.” This game was an obese person’s dream. It went like this: I would lay on the couch in the living room and pretend to be taking a nap. They would run in and out of the room every few minutes yelling, “Don’t get up yet – your nap time isn’t over!” I loved that game, because I didn’t have to exert any energy or even get up. This game could easily go on for a half an hour or more. At the end of the game we’d all go and have a snack together. The girls something healthy like cheese sticks and apple slices, me something unhealthy like chips, chocolate and a cheese stick thrown in for good measure.

The games I didn’t want to play were those that involved any physical exertion. Things like bike riding, going for walks, dancing, throwing the ball, swimming, etc. were off limits for me. I would sit and watch the children play those games and participate in those activities, but I never joined in. I was the classic Mom on the sidelines. I was living my life on the sidelines. I’ve had people tell me that they don’t really have a lot of motivation to lose weight because they can participate in any activity they want to. I would have told you that too back then, but if you had asked me to “prove it,” I would have been hard pressed to follow through. I’d ask you this – Are you truly physically able to do anything you want to do at your current weight? If you lost some weight and improved your fitness level would that activity be easier and more enjoyable?

Rest game, as fun as it was, didn’t get me anywhere close to achieving my physical fitness and weight loss goals. The games I needed to be playing couldn’t be played on the couch. I needed to get up off the couch, out of the chair, and move away from the sidelines. Finally losing weight enabled me to really be able to participate in my children’s lives. No longer did I have to sit down while the rest of the family walked the nature trail at the park. Now I was leading the way through the trees.

How has being more active changed how you interact with your family and friends? Diane

18 thoughts on “Resting Too Much!

1. Sandy says:

This is really funny! One day we were having hot dogs, and I was just eating a salad. My teenage son got up and threw his 3rd hot dog in the trash. A few minutes later, as I was heading to throw something away I saw it sitting there. I really wanted that hot dog, but I resisted. I am trying to lose weight, and I hope that I can do it this time. Love your blog!

• Diane says:

@Jen – As a young woman this is the ideal time to get healthy and fit. I wish I had started my weight loss journey earlier, actually I wish I hadn’t gotten obese at all! Thanks for the comment and I’m glad you like the pictures.

@Sandy – I’m glad you resisted the hot dog – not only because it wasn’t good for you, but also that it was in the trash can. You can succeed in your weight loss quest, just take it one day at a time. I’m glad you like the blog!

2. Jen says:

For me, reading this reminds me that I need to be careful of what i eat everyday. I’m young and I don’t want to be not healthy. I like your honesty and the pictures are really motivating for me.

3. Connie says:

My goodness I can’t believe people would actually think about eating food from the top of the trash can. But I like the analogy since I am often guilty of eating food that isn’t always good for me. Thanks for the reminder that clean food is important.

• Diane says:

Connie,
      I’m glad this helped remind you that eating healthy food is important, and I’m glad you wouldn’t eat from the trash either! Thanks for stopping by and for the comment. Diane

4. Hanlie says:

I must say, I have eaten leftovers from other people’s plates before, but I’ve never eaten from the trash!

My journey is all about health, so the first step for me has been to start eating healthy foods and eliminating unhealthy foods from my diet. Only once I feel confident and settled in that area, round about now, can I start concentrating on actually eating smaller portions. It’s a two-step process for me…

• Diane says:

@Hanlie,
      You have such a healthy approach to your weight loss journey. Eating healthy is so important, and I know a lot of people who have lost weight by just cutting calories and eating junky things. Conquering one thing at a time is a smart way to do it. I think you will be more likely to have long term success too. Thanks for the comment.

• Diane says:

Rhonda, I’ve seen those green monsters and I’m just not sure about them! I know they are good for you, but how do they taste? Would I like it or would I want to toss it in the trash???!! Just kidding – thanks for visiting the blog.

5. Tresa says:

Great blog! I have found that cutting out the “trash food” of my diet makes me feel better! If I slip and eat something high in fat or junk food I feel really bad the next day and it’s not worth it. I usually give myself a good talking to and go back to eating healthy and feeling great!

• Diane says:

Tresa, I too found that when I started to eat less junky food and more healthy food I felt better physically and emotionally. I think feeling ill after eating unhealthy foods is God’s way of reminding us what is good for us and what is not! Thanks for commenting and the nice compliment! Have a great weekend!

6. Pam says:

Wow – thanks for the link the the foods – that is a great tool! I definitely favor more on the list than not now, so at least I am working in the right direction!
    And….I’ll admit to pulling a doughnut off the top of the trash back when I was 370. Looking back, it just sickens my stomach. Nice to know I couldn’t do it any longer.

• Diane says:

Pam – I’m glad you liked that link. I did a search for “most healthy food list” and that came right up. I think the owner of the site owns Dole? I enjoy reading your blog and you are doing a great job with your journey into health and fitness. I’m glad you aren’t tempted by trashy food anymore! Diane

I can honestly say I’ve drawn the line at the trash can also, but not always at trashy foods. Thanks for the good reminder!

• Diane says:

Leah – I’m glad to hear that you draw the line at the trash can! I did too, but I do know some people who have grabbed something out of the trash and eat it! Yuck! I still have to remind myself to eat nutritious foods, as I still like the trashy stuff!

8. Small Steps to Health says:

This is a great analogy by the way. It reminds me of that Seinfeld episode when George went to the trash to dump something, saw some kind of pastry, and got caught eating that pastry that was in the trash by his girlfriend’s parents. During the re-harsh with Jerry and Elaine, they were trying to figure out whether is was touching anything, how long it has been there, etc.

Have I been caught eating from the trash? No. But have I? Well, let’s just say I have not been caught. 😀

asithi

• Diane says:

Asithi – I remember that Seinfeld episode. They could talk anything to death! I also loved all the soup Nazi shows. They were so funny. Thanks so much for the comment – I really enjoyed reading through your blog. Diae

9. Sagan says:

I love this post so much. You’re right: eating junk is just the same as if we were eating it from the trash bin. It’s terrible for our bodies, and we shouldn’t treat them like that! Very well said.