Exercise Clothes Needed!

I don’t belong to a gym, although I think gyms are great! For me, it’s a matter of finances and opportunity. It has never seemed to fit into my budget or my schedule. Therefore, I do all my working out at home.

I walk in my neighborhood, which is really just one long road that looks like this. I rarely see other people, just the occasional car passing as my neighbors head off to start their day. It’s very peaceful, and because I don’t really see anyone I tend to get a little lazy about my exercise clothes!

This week, as I was pulling out my lighter weight clothes (finally) I realized that my next exercise purchase must be a new outfit. If you could see my sad clothes you would probably agree it’s long overdue, as it’s been about two years since I bought anything new.  I have a hard time spending money on clothes that don’t seem like a necessity! John always tells me they are a necessity because I use them all the time. So this weekend I will head out in search of some new, inexpensive but really nice workout clothes. (Is there such a thing?)

I was wondering what your last exercise  purchase was? Maybe I’ll copy you!!  Diane

44 thoughts on “Exercise Clothes Needed!

1. Karen@WaistingTime says:

Oh this is perfectly timed for me. I also wear stuff that is less than pretty. But every other year when I go to the spa I splurge on something new. Yesterday I went shopping:) And it was fun to buy clothes now that I am thinner. Well, maybe fun is an overstatement. I did get one outfit for the spa. An actual “outfit” of a pair of capri pants and a tank top. I don’t ever remember having something that matched before! They cost exactly the amount of money my mom gave me for my birthday last week:)

BTW – My target has great looking stuff, usually, at good prices. As does my Kohl’s store. You can indeed find reasonably priced stuff.
    .-= Karen@WaistingTime´s last blog ..WON’Tpower =-.

I’m a lot like you I don’t spend money on workout clothes very often:) I love my running shorts I bought way back at Target. I was in there the other day all they seem to carry is Champion label and I wasn’t impressed 12.99 for a pair of shorts:(
    I tend to invest in good shoes and make do, use it up, wear it out, with every thing else related to how I look when I work out. Its funny my husband is the “fashion guy” when it comes to playing tennis which is his work out.
    Have fun shopping buy some nice things for yourself and take pictures.

I got sick of looking at baggy saggy in mirrors and replaced all of my stuff recently.

Last year it was the shorts.

Now it just was the shirts and socks. I also replaced sports bras over the winter.

I was just thinking about this last week. I started out in XL and am now in S. And each of those four changes was a BIG deal.

I started out in what I had. And then when I bought real workout clothes in an XL – it was a really big thing – to have REAL clothes.

And then switching to L and then M and now S – each in turn were major steps.

I also replace my shoes at least once a year. I have replaced my socks three times in the last 5+ years. The former me would never have identified with wearing out socks!

I wear knee length shorts and V neck cotton short sleeved shirts year round (because I am indoors, not out in all weather like you are). I have thin V neck, cotton sweaters that I layer over them in the winter. These are REALLY big and need replaced – but have not yet done that (I think they are L’s).
    .-= vickie´s last blog .. =-.

4. Marcelle says:

Mine are also very sad looking as I still wear the ones I used to teach in over 6 years ago…have added a few new tops, one or two long pants…but nothing major as also think its workout clothing and it cost a fortune.

I got something TODAY….
    Salomon Trail running shoes!!!
    Cant want to try them later today in the forest.

5. Little Bee says:

I just wear out my fleeces in winter and old t-shirts in summer or at the gym. The t-shirt need replaced in the next months but I haven’t yet found exercise clothes that I like. So far, I like pure cotton shirts but once I get into longer runs perhaps I’ll have to make peace with the glib-feeling synthetic fabrics… I hear they dry fast so that would be a boon! My last purchase was running shoes.

6. Carol says:

Wearing new cute exercise clothes definitely gets me motivated…even if I am exercising at home. I read somewhere it’s better to wear shorts and a sleeveless tank top so you can look at your muscles and visualize your success…so I try to do that. Target has cheap clothes, but they dont hold up. I have good luck at TJMaxx and Marshalls for tops and capris. NIKE shorts for running/walking are the best I think. But, expensive and at sporting goods stores. I tend to like the stretchy capris. Oh and I did find a website mentioned on a blog called runningskirts.com and it is expensive, but I bought two on clearance and they are SO comfortable. It’s a skirt with shorts built in and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. i didnt think I would, but I do. Good luck. Love your always wonderful blog.

7. cindy says:

Last thing I purchased was a top on sale at Target. I like their work out clothes they hold their shape and wash up nice. And it seems like Target always has some on sale.
    .-= cindy´s last blog ..START AT THE KASTLE =-.

8. Lillian says:

I’ve heard great things about the Champion line at Target – great prices, great quality that holds up well to consistent use:) Kohl’s also has some great options and always good sales! My last exercise purchase involved buying online and was a complete DISASTER;)

9. karen says:

My most recent purchase was some new sports bras (the others were so worn they didn’t really hold anything in place anymore). Before that, though, a heaping pile of tank tops from Old Navy. I looooove Old Navy 🙂
    .-= karen´s last blog ..Do me a favor? =-.

10. Amy says:

Oh, I know what you mean Diane! I have to tell you, I have been really happy with the workout clothes I bought at Target – they are made by Champion and they are great. I especially love the tanks in the technical fabric and they come in all kinds of colors. I am going to hate having to retire them when they finally get too ratty! Good luck finding the perfect workout outfit and thanks for all your support – I really appreciate it!
    .-= Amy´s last blog ..Versatile Blogger Award =-.

11. Tish says:

In the midst of my winter doldrums (around Feb) when I realized that my weight seemed to be climbing inexorably toward my all time high, I bought myself a pair of my favorite running pants (Saucony Boston Pant). I bought them in a larger size than my previous pair. I love that style because, unlike most other women’s running pants, these have full size side pockets with zippers. When I run, I take along my ipod, my cell phone, a kleenex, and the key/remote to my car and no other style allowed me to carry all those essentials. Well, that pair is getting roomier, but as the Virginia summer is upon us, I decided that I can still get some wear out of them. I don’t intend to be anywhere near that large next winter, so I cut them down to capri length, hemmed them and, voila! I have a comfortable, pocketed pair of running pants that are perfect for this weather! It’s working so well, that I may sacrifice my older, full-length pair when these get too big.

This may sound odd , but I don’t have exercise clothes. I simply wear regular clothes when I exercise. I save the outfit from the day before to work out in , then shower and change into fresh clothes after. I am a stay at home mom and my clothes ( outside of a few dress outfits) are very casual. While you are shopping for exercise gear, I am shopping for some sleeveless tops and an outfit to wear for a wedding in a couple of weeks. Seems lie shopping is in the air !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..An open letter to a retail chain =-.

13. Pam says:

If you know where a Ross store is (I looked it up and there is one in your town), they have a selection of name brand sportswear really cheap – I have gotten a pair of Adidas walking pants for 6.99, a Nike Sports Bra marked 35.00 for 4.99, etc. I LOVE me some Ross!

Also…Danskin (sold at Wal Mart and Target) supposedly have a recent line that is affordable and decent, too. Good luck & happy shopping!
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..Food Pic Friday! =-.

14. Laura says:

I belonged to a gym and I used to wear tracksuit trousers and a very old t-shirt. There were people in the gym that wear clothes that were better than the ones that I wear to go to work!

I think that it’s better to have confortable clothes than nice clothes.

My last exercise purchase was what I needed: a swimsuit (it was not really nice, but I needed a kind of swimsuit valid to swim about 3000 meters/day, and the most of the cases nice things are uncomfortable to work out), swimming goggles (the same as with tracksuit: I have had many problems with them, so I need something good, that it is usually not as nice as the others) and a swimming cap (I hate pink, but they only had “good” women caps on pink, so I will swim with a pink cap although I hate it!)

15. Tami says:

I need to do just what you are doing! My work out clothes are old and sad looking. I also walk in my neighborhood but lots of people are leaving going to work when I am out walking so lots of people see me.

The last thing I bought was a sweat shirt by Champion at Target. It was only $18!

Oh, I need new sports bras too, those are a necessity!

16. Babbalou says:

Other than a new pair of shoes for all my walking, I bought a kettlebell (at Target, which is also where I get my exercise clothes – Target or Marshalls). I haven’t used the kettlebell yet but am going to try it out on Tuesday. I also have a hard time justifying the cost of a gym so exercise at home or in the neighborhood, although I’m rethinking that this summer since the nearest Y has a pool and isn’t terribly expensive. I’m getting my bike ready for the season this week as well. And headed out to walk my big dog right now. He prefers I exercise at home, since he’s an eager workout partner.

17. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

You can shop at Target or KMart for inexpensive workout gear now! Get a wicking top. I cannot believe that I used to work out in loose cotton t-shirts. They are so hot to me now. Make sure your wicking top is somewhat form fitting so it can wick away the sweat – as that is what they are designed to do.

I just bought some bike shorts and I have a cycling jersey on the way.
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..What’s blooming and young strings! =-.

18. 'Drea says:

I have fond memories of exercising outdoors for the first half of my journey. 🙂 And, right now, I haven’t seen the inside of my gym on a consistent basis.

Not too long ago, I bought a soft brown Danskin top from Wal-Mart and chocolate Bermuda shorts from Sam’s.

I know that people have varying opinions about Wal-mart and Sam’s but when I was larger, Wal-mart had affordable and durable exercise clothes that looked nice and didn’t break the bank…
    .-= ‘Drea´s last blog ..The Gospel According To Juror #612 =-.

19. Jenn says:

If you have a coupon, you can get really good deals at Kohl’s. They carry FILA, Nike, Adidas, some Danskin wear and have a nice selection as well. I lucked out with a 30% off coupon last time I was there. 🙂
    .-= Jenn´s last blog ..My W.I.D.T.H. =-.

20. Cynthia (It All Changes) says:

Exercise clothes are my staple. I wear a uniform to work and then change into my exercise clothes right after.

I tend to buy them at Old Navy and Target and they hold up well.

My last exercise purchase was bike shorts for my long rides.
    .-= Cynthia (It All Changes)´s last blog ..Keen-what? =-.

Like you Diane, I am so bad about buying things due to $$ probs & I work out in a gym.. OH NO!

My money usually goes to my workout shoes as they seem like the most important thing to me.
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Saturday Funny =-.

22. Amy says:

just running shoes.. every 6 mos or so. other than that.. i wear regular clothes.. since I mostly do walking.

btw.. LOVE the road you are blessed to walk on. so pretty!

The last workout clothes I bought were exercise pants last fall when the weather cooled. : ) Oh, and new tennis about six months ago. I love what JCPenney has to offer.

Have fun shopping! I’m making myself wait until the cut-off cotton exercise pants are WAY too big to buy more, and hoping the pants I have from last winter will be too big so I’ll be forced to buy new ones this next fall. 🙂

24. Kate says:

My ‘pants on the ground’ problem finally got bad enough, that like you, I decided it was time for something better. The ones I’ve been wearing are from Land’s End, and I got them on some overstock sale…the ones I just ordered were also on sale, but I still spent about $25 on them. I’m hoping they’ll do the trick for a while, and maybe shrink with me?!
    .-= Kate´s last blog ..Cantaloupe Bliss =-.

25. KCLAnderson (Karen) says:

I don’t remember what I purchased last, but I can tell you what is next on my list: socks, but not for my feet. I recently took up kettlebell training and am getting calluses/blisters on my hands. I was told to cut the top elastic part of the sock off and use it as a sort of glove to protect my hands. It will also also me to properly grip the kettlebells.
    .-= KCLAnderson (Karen)´s last blog ..I Am Not Stuck =-.

26. Tina @ Gotta Run Now says:

I find workout clothes at Academy, Ross or Marshall’s and sometimes a good sale at Sports Authority.

My last purchase: black shorts and a lime green tank top, which I wore in the Big Sur marathon in April.

Hope you find a great sale this weekend!
    .-= Tina @ Gotta Run Now´s last blog ..Climbin’ Over Trees =-.

27. BlessedMama says:

Oh, lucky girl on that beautiful road! I can totally relate to putting off purchasing new exercise clothes. Currently, I’m snipping the racing stripe that runs down my leg b/c it’s fraying, and I don’t want to look like a total bum at the gym. They are at least five years old. So, a couple of weeks ago, I was at a sports store and was in a hurry with my kids, so I grabbed a pair of sweat pants that were on sale w/o trying them on. Big mistake. They were made for the teen generation that likes their circulation cut off at the hips. They literally came up mid-butt. I returned them and did everyone at the gym a favor by not wearing them. Was I any help to you? 🙂
    .-= BlessedMama´s last blog ..Monterey Bay Trip and Food =-.

28. John says:

My last one was buying 3 golf shirts for $50 total at a golf liquidation sale. They are dri-fit shirts that are great in hot weather and make me look sharp if I must say so myself 🙂 I’m going to wear one of them for my HM tomorrow.

I never use to think this but believe if you think you look good you are more likely to exercise better.

29. Fattie Fatterton says:

I shop at Old Navy online. The clothes are comfy, cheap, and they last for at least a year. 😀

Or, if you want stuff that last longer, but costs more up front, Lululemon is awesome!

There’s also Athleta which is owned by the same group that owns Old Navy.
    .-= Fattie Fatterton´s last blog ..I would write something witty… =-.

Ha, I’m the opposite! All my clothes are workout clothes – it’s all I ever wear! Nike, Adidas and Underarmour are my favourite “budget-friendly” brands 🙂
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Hometown Runner =-.

31. Sandy says:

I love cute exercise clothes. I’m much better about having them now that I go to Jazzercise and want to look cute. I like having things that fit well. My last purchase was new running shoes but I found some cute tops at Walmart in the spring and need to go get some cool singlets before our trip to Texas next weekend so I’m shopping at Kohl’s on Memorial Day.

32. Joe says:

Last purchase was a pair of running shoes – Newtons. At 170 a pair it doesn’t leave me much room for fancy clothes but the neighbors insist I wear something when I run. Go figure. Mine are all in their twilight years as well. I was looking at some new shirts online yesterday. Academy usually has some pretty inexpensive off brands that have always worked for me.
    .-= Joe´s last blog ..Tips for Running in Hot, Humid Weather and National Running Day =-.

33. Fran says:

Your husband is so right: you deserve them.

My last purchase was a running outfit for winter. My next will be new running shoes and a summer running outfit.

34. Gingersnapper says:

Ugh, all my workout clothes are disgusting! I haven’t bought any new for a LONG time. What happens is, my regular clothes get demoted to workout clothes when they get stains or rips. Well, tshirts and things like that, I don’t work out in skirts or dress slacks 🙂 And because I do most of my exercise in my own house, I have to admit that in the hot weather I frequently just wear my underwear! That’s pretty sad, now I am inspired to do a little shopping…
    .-= Gingersnapper´s last blog ..w . o . r . k . o . u . t . =-.

35. erin says:

Hey, did you know that you can join the gym at Union for free since John works there? It’s what I do (although I haven’t gone in a while since it’s been warmer). Just thought I’d mention that in case you didn’t know!

I like Target’s Champion line, but Walmart also has some Danskin workout gear that is pretty inexpensive but has moisture wicking fabrics.
    .-= erin´s last blog ..May, Where Did You Go? =-.