Why Are You Doing This?

Some of you have been on this journey for a long time, and others for a shorter time. I think no matter where you are in your journey it is helpful to take a moment and revisit why you are doing all this hard work. And let’s be honest – losing weight is hard work. Good work–yes, but hard at times.

It can be easy to lose sight of why and get caught up in the weigh-ins, the food, the exercise, the highs, the lows. I know I did. I started out losing weight solely to get out of the 300’s and be able to wear clothes I bought in a store and didn’t sew on my machine. I wanted to fit into chairs, quit feeling too big for the room and quit being tired all the time.

Over time though, I sometimes lost sight of some of those reasons and just got discouraged with how long it was taking.

I wanted to ask you if it’s time for you to remember why you started working on your health and fitness. And to help you I’ve put together three questions, and I hope you will share to help others on their journey.

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is: ______

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is: ______

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is: _____ and I can overcome that obstacle by: _______

I found in my weight loss classes that writing down our goals, objectives and obstacles helps us stay focused and encourages us when we get discouraged.

I hope you will share your answers. So often, what we learn from other people are the very things that help make everything  “click” for us in our minds and in our hearts. There were many things I heard and read during the 10 years I struggled with obesity that motivated me, and even though I didn’t act on the motivation right away, I never forgot what they were. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remembered their success stories, and knew that someday that could be me. Diane

17 thoughts on “Why Are You Doing This?

1. Rachel Palmieri says:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is…so that when the time comes (in a couple years or so), we can start having kids (should be easier if I’m healthy) and so I can be around for them a very long time.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is…go hiking at Chimney Rock state park (there are a TON of hills and caves that aren’t conducive to obesity and sore knees)

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is…my very chronic plantar fasciitis. I can overcome that obstacle by…continuing to see my chiropractor and continue exercising in a way that doesn’t aggravate the foot!
    .-= Rachel Palmieri´s last blog ..McDonalds getting blamed again ~ Dave =-.

2. Deniz says:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is:
    To be able to walk up stairs without thinking about it and without gasping for breath and feeling like I’m going to have a heart attack when I get to the top.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is:
    Run up a whole flight of stairs, maybe two?
    (I can finally do it now too, and it feels great!)

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is:
    Getting disillusioned about not making progress.

and I can overcome that obstacle by:
    Carefully tracking everything I eat, my weight and my measurements – lots of ways to pick out progress, however small it may be.
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..No fool like an old fool! =-.

3. Donna says:

Thanks for making me think about these things. You always challenge me.

1. I am working on my weight because of high blood pressure and to feel better about myself.

2. When I get to my goal weight I have promised myself a new wardrobe.

3. My bad habits are standing in my way. I am trying to focus on one bad habit at a time because I have found that trying to change everything at once is setting myself up for failure.

The reason I am working on my weight and health again is to keep from getting high blood pressure and ever getting type 2 diabetes.
    When I get my weight down to where I want it I too want new clothes.
    Standing in the way would be eating too many calories and drinking regular soda versus diet. Too many of the wrong type of calories, not enough water.Too overcome this I have cut way down on my soda consumpion, and I need to start tracking calories again and maybe buy a new heart rate monitor to make sure I am working hard enough but not too hard in the right heart rate zone.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Before And After Photos =-.

5. Emergefit says:

I tend to gather, rather than change my fitness values. In the beginning it was all about looking good. Then, it was about strength. Later, stamina was added to the list. Then balance. Soon it was health; blood pressure, cholesterol, bone density, etc. As I have added new reasons to exercise, I have never jettisoned the old ones. Rather, I have prioritized them to better enable a long life, well-lived.

By adding new fitness values, I have added new motivation with each new value. Different reasons to exercise relating to different functions I pursue. This perspective has served me very well.
    .-= Emergefit´s last blog ..A Fairwell To Legs… =-.

6. Pam says:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is: To be a better Mother and Wife to my family.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is: Run in local races at least 4 times a year

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is: myself right now, and I can overcome that obstacle by: moving on and quit letting stresses and sadness consume me and sabotage my efforts. I have to force myself to do structured exercise, too.
    .-= Pam´s last blog ..The Good, The Bad And The Ugly: Weigh In Edition =-.

1. I am working on my weight to be a healthier, more able wife and mom.

2. I’d like to wear skirts without feeling self-conscious and tent-like.

3. My biggest obstacle is complacency, I think. This journey is taking a very long time because of the pregnancy, I don’t want to lose my motivation or get bored with it over the next few months. I am positive I am committed, but I still worry on occasion that I may just get burned out with trying and maintain. It’s not the end of the world to hold steady, but it isn’t what I want, either!

My way to solve this is to constantly remind myself of how far I have come, and if it is this good right now it will be better twenty or forty pounds less 🙂
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..Whoops! =-.

8. Tami says:

I blogged about this today!

1. I am trying to be healthier, take pressure off my knees by getting rid of extra pounds and reduce my health risks.

2. Hubby and I would like to do more hiking when my knees are up to it.

3. Nothing is standing in my way of success, I am doing what I need to do.

Great post Dinae! I do think writing down goals, short & long term really help people. Me, I have never done that thru all my weight loss, 5k run days, bodybuilding & whatever else. I guess I am the exception to this rule but I do know it works for most to see it in writing!

Why do I keep doing this.. I love being fit, love my muscles, want to stay fit & healthy & active as long as possible….
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Cinnamon & Sugar Puff Cookies with Protein =-.

10. Chris says:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is: I want to be happy when I see myself in pictures.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is:

Do a half-ironman triathlon (I’ve done a few sprints)

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is:

I get so HUNGRY…it is real hunger by everything I’ve read

and I can overcome that obstacle by:

Who knows? I’ve found quite a few filling foods, but sometimes it is not working.

11. Nicole, RD says:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is to control my insulin resistance due to PCOS and help prevention obesity and type 2 diabetes.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is stay there.

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is consistency and I can overcome that obstacle by making small changes that are maintainable forever.
    .-= Nicole, RD´s last blog ..Goitrogenic Foods =-.

12. John says:

1. Was tired of the way I looked and felt.
    2. Not sure as I’m already doing a lot: triathlons,HM and planning for a marathon now
    3. The time it takes but keep remembering I didn’t put it on overnight.

13. Sharon says:

1) I reached my “perfect” weight in 2007 after having lost 60 pounds. I KNOW how good that felt and am very frustrated with myself for having regained 30 pounds! I want that increased energy and stamina back. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and want to take care of my joints so I can continue my passion for hiking for a long, long time.

2) My goal is to be able to day-hike 15 miles.

3) My only obstacle is myself and my inability to say “that’s enough” or “no”!

Thanks, Diane. My blog is new, but my reading of yours if not!!
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..33 Years =-.

14. Hope @ Hope's Journey says:

Okay, let’s see here:

1. One reason I am working on my health and weight is: I want to live longer, be stronger and healthier.

2. One thing I’d like to do when I get to the weight I want to be is: I honestly don’t know. I still don’t think I’ll ever get to exactly where I want to be. 🙁 Sad, but just being honest.

3. The biggest obstacle that is standing in the way of me reaching my goal is: my compulsive eating and I can overcome that obstacle by: dealing with my emotions rather than trying to kill them with food.
    .-= Hope @ Hope’s Journey´s last blog ..Whoa. =-.

15. Paramjit says:

great article. SOmetimes we lose sight of where we came from. It is natural to become impatient as we live in a fast paced world. Those questions that you have raised will help bring us back on track when we do lose sight of the finish line. Weight loss is a journey and not a destination. And yest we need to remember why we started. This will indeed keep us going.
    .-= Paramjit´s last blog ..Natural Weight Loss Diet in 7 Steps =-.