Finding the Balance

I think this is one of several areas in my life that I may never get right. It is so hard for me to find the balance between work and play, sitting around and cleaning house, or spending time with friends and family or running in ten different directions. Even blogging and writing requires finding a balance between sitting at the computer too much and getting up and doing something else.

I struggled during my weight loss experience to find the balance as well. (See, I don’t think I’ll ever get it right!) At first, I was so focused on not eating all the bad foods that I had grown addicted to that I wasn’t able to balance having a treat on occasion. I was afraid of gaining back the few pounds I had lost, so I threw away any bad foods in the house and left John wondering what we were going to eat.

I had a hard time with balancing exercise time with my other activities. I exercised most days of the week when I was losing weight and unless I was sick I don’t think I missed more than a day or two that whole year. Sometimes the family would be just finishing up dinner and I’d jump out of my chair and go for a bike ride or a walk. I remember John saying, “Where are you going?” I’d tell him I was going to exercise and he’d say, “Now?” I went anyway, but always felt a little bit guilty. Over time I got better, but at first it was hard to wait to do what I wanted to do!

Now I try and find balance in other areas. I have balanced my exercise time by going first thing in the morning so I can be done before I start my “mom job.”  I balance healthy foods, but still allow the occasional treats for all of us. I try and balance blogging by doing it early in the morning and in the evening.

It seems to be a continual work in progress!  It seems like just when I have one thing under control another responsibility pops up!

How do you balance your healthy habits and your life? What about bloggingDiane

35 thoughts on “Finding the Balance

1. Roxie says:

Finding the balance is key for me to maintaining a healthy weight. What I struggle with is the question “over what period of time”? I’m trying to cut myself a bit more slack (but not too much) without making myself crazy in the process. I’m adding back (in small doses) some of the food groups that I avoided and I’m enjoying them.

Finding a way to sustainably practice good habits – maintenance – I believe is what it’s called – is key. It’s easy to completely lose focus.

2. John says:

Having no significant other I have no problem with balance. I work first and exercise second. When family events come up I work my exercise around it. I imagine things will have to change a bit if a girl ever comes along 🙂

3. Sharon says:

Wow, that’s tough one! I’m afraid to allow myself one treat for fear of falling off the wagon completely. I haven’t found balance yet, but am trying!

The balance in blogging raises another question I’ve been struggling with and would love some input on. My blog is new and I’m curious as to whether other bloggers share their blogs with close friends and/or family members. If so, how has that affected and/or changed the way you write? Are you able to still freely share personal information and deep feelings? I’d really appreciate any feedback over on my blog since this is somewhat unrelated to Diane’s post. Hope that’s o.k.?? Thanks!
    .-= Sharon´s last blog ..How and Why This Blog Got Started – This One Is Going To Be Long!! =-.

Like you I work out in the mornings, and I blog when at different times of the day and not every day. I try to limit my blog reading, Facebook time to an hour a day early in the day which usually ends up being a hour and a half a day:)
    Finding balance is hard and its different for all of us what works for me might not work for you.
    Most of the time I chose to eat healthy but if I want a treat occasionally I will have it and not feel guilty is how I “balance” the eating part of the equation.
    .-= Susan´s last blog ..Long Hot Summer Challenge Update =-.

5. Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman says:

Ah, balance is a tough one. I balance exercise and family by going to the gym with my husband. That way I don’t have to feel guilty. I have no clue what I’ll do once I have kids. As for blogging, I have a day job, so I have no choice but to do it at night.
    .-= Tracey @ I’m Not Superhuman´s last blog ..P90X: Let the Games Begin =-.

6. Jules - Big Girl Bombshell says:

Great question Diane! I get up early in the AM for my Me time. I write, I exercise, and I read a few blogs. The best way I am finding to balance is to look at my excuses and what I LOVE to do and take a little from each. For example: TIME… Not enough time. Little princess needs my attention at night, its family time. SO..now that the training wheels are off her bike, we go out every night and I walk..jog..behind her. She likes to pretend she is my trainer. We PLAY so its not like exercise. It is a lifestyle change. That is just one of my small changes….
    .-= Jules – Big Girl Bombshell´s last blog ..What If I Just Let Things Happen =-.

My blog time is part of my balance. I keep track of my balance through my blog – it is like paying attention to what I am doing/thinking/feeling. It is listening to myself.

I read VERY few other bloggers. There are about a dozen of you I read faithfully. And you are all positive and forward focuesed and (pretty much as a whole) balanced. I try very hard not to read enabling/codepedency blogs – they can distort my being able to stay focused and balanced.

And I think staying balanced is particularly hard for women – especially moms!!! We are just pulled in so many directions. And if you added sandwiched women (generation above us and a generation below us) – it is really hard.
    .-= vickie´s last blog ..My bike =-.

Really great post Diane! Balance is such a hard thing in all aspects of life! I am stryggling with the blog balance right now & not sure what I will do about it yet. Still thinking about that.

As for the fitness stuff, I do work out at times that are weird but don’t interfere with me & hubby times…. I still am a bit crazy but I try to balance it all out. I am so much better that when I first started! 🙂
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..The Power of Words… and More =-.

9. Brenda says:

Funny thing, I am learning how to balance my blog/computer time now that summer is here. It’s very hard for me. I was feeling guilty at first when I didn’t post something new EVERYDAY. But then I had to remember that I blog for ME. And being outdoors and busy is what is best for ME right now. When I sit down to start blogging/reading blogs, 2 or 3 hours can easily go by.
    My post yesterday hit a lot of what you said in your post too. When I realized that putting MYSELF first, I had better results, the weight came off. It did take my family a little getting used to when they would be sitting down to watch tv and I was heading out the door to get one more walk in.
    .-= Brenda´s last blog ..wordless Wednesday =-.

My answer seems to be something that is called puttering. It began long before I approached weight loss as a mom. I never think about the whole list of things that must be done, but instead have a general agenda and tackle t all in those 5-10 minutes that come up between things. I grab exercise between chores or while doing other things, do the housework in the same fashion. The only thing I block out a definite clump of time for is planning menus, shopping lists and lesson plans. I plan them, print out the plan, post it on the fridge and it makes one less thing I have to think about all week ( and allows me to do a lot of meal pre prep during the day when I get those odd 5 minutes). It may not be someone else s idea of perfection, but it works to keep me in balance and on track. This is a move that will remain for life, and that life includes many other things than just weight matters !
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..School’s out =-.

11. Tami says:

Great post Diane. I am still working on the balance thing. I am getting very good with the food and walking. Still trying to balance when to do the resistance training though.
    I do my walk early in the morning before the day gets too busy.

Blogging is another story. I have not figured out the best time to do it. If I start in the morning I am late in getting my day going. In the evening I am tired and don’t do my best thinking or writing! It is very time consuming to comment on other blogs and I need to limit the amount of time I spend on the computer so I can enjoy other things. I might start setting a timer!

12. Marcelle says:

I dont have a family to care for at this stage of my life and living in Germany. I find I do sit on the internet a lot as its my only company I have during the day and I am so used to it after 6 years of living here, I switch my laptop on first thing and last thing…during the day my life is centered around this space.
    I am trying to balance it when hubby is home and sitting in the lounge….that part of my life needs improvement I know.

I dont have a routine with my training…during winter I go to gym, summer time I run in the forest….the time of day can change as to what I have planned for my day…
    Its a lot easier for me at this stage, but I do admire you for how you balance yourself with all what you have on your plate.
    You sure have mastered this.

13. julie says:

I’m going to have to figure this out quickly, I go back to work next week (been unemployed 15 months). As if that wasn’t bad enough, I have started dating a guy who likes to eat out (I eat like a peasant, generally), whines when I want to go to the gym instead (or first), and wants more of my time than I have available (even before working). The job also consists of at least an hour commute each way, including a one mile walk. I will figure it out, but new man and I are going to have to come to an understanding wrt exercise, food. He is an exerciser, and eats veggies, just not like me.
    .-= julie´s last blog ..Why I love moderation and the scale =-.

14. kwithme says:

Ah balance, I have been working on balance since really practicing yoga 10 years ago. Food is pretty good but alot of that comes down to planning and having good things on hand. Last week was the birthday marathon, I planned each and every meal and dessert. And today, now that the marathon is over I am back eating the way I *need* to. I am done exercising by 7:30 every morning so there is never any excuse, even traveling I can exercise. Now that the kids are home, I am trying to get off my behind and join them for bike rides, swims and skates. It is good for them and for me. I work from home and schedule that time too. The kids have their morning work and I work, then I am done. When I get really busy, work is the first thing to go. I have a list of priorities: 1. Taking care of me 2. taking care of the kids 3. taking care of husband 4. working. Work gets bumped alot but that is how we as a family choose to do things.

15. Stacy says:

I have the hardest time finding balance. I tend to overdo things and then I get so worn down I’m just a cranky tired mess. I wish I knew how to do everything, but I don’t LOL! I am getting better at learning to say no, though, and focusing on what is important. 🙂

As for balancing food, that isn’t too hard for me. My weakness before was mostly take out over lunch, and I just make sure to bring a salad with me to work everyday. Then I don’t feel the need to go get something too fattening. Takes a little more time in the morning, but it is worth it!
    .-= Stacy´s last blog ..A few little hats =-.

16. Shawnee says:

Are you reading my mind??? LOL I was just contemplating balance this morning. I woke up at my usual 5 a.m. to go swimming. But I didn’t sleep well last night and I was tired. I knew that if I went swimming I wouldn’t be able to focus well at work. If I didn’t go I would feel guilty. But I realized there is a healthy balance, because Wednesday is my only double exercise day. Zumba is tonight! So, I went back to sleep for a little while longer. I feel much better now. 🙂

17. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

Balance is hard. I don’t think anyone really achieves a state of true balance. I think we are always in the process of balancing. Sometimes we waver too far on one end or the other and need to get centered again. But that’s life. Imperfect people have a lot of negotiations to make going through our daily lives 😀
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..I’m cool like that =-.

18. Fran says:

I love Lori’s comment, I can relate to that.

I think finding balance is difficult. What I’m doing wrong is when I don’t have enough time in a day I skip my exercise while I should skip something else.

I’ve made an agreement with myself that I shut down my laptop at 9.30 pm at the latest and then read or watch tv, sometimes I shut it down before that. I blog every 2 days so I have more time on the “not blogging days” to read others blogs (like yours) that inspire and motivate me.
    I’m also active at a Dutch womens forum but I usually read and respond there during the day and read blogs at night.

Only 1 day of work and then vacation and that must be more easy to find balance, at least where it concerns exercising.

19. Lori Lynn says:

Balance is something that I still struggle with, b/c I tend to go one way or the other. I seem to restrict myself, and then when that blows up in my face, I start to go overboard. I think that I have gotten better with it, but it’s still a work in progress!

So far I haven’t wanted to work out too much or too often that I need a balance there. I think I have a good balance of healthy foods and treats in my house now, but that wasn’t always the case.

Blogging is another story. I have my good days of balancing it properly with my other duties/activities, but I have days when I waste a lot of time on the computer. Still working on that. 🙂
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Two Small Victories! =-.

21. South Beach Steve says:

Ah, balance and blogging. That is pretty hard for all us bloggers, isn’t it? I have found I have to limit my time daily reading and answering blogs or I would get nothing else done.

22. Kimberley says:

Balance is overrated. Sometimes our needs are most important, sometimes our family needs to come first or we have to focus on work. I think it all balances out in the end…we just need to be consistent, have a great attitude and be just a little selfish.
    .-= Kimberley´s last blog ..Tough Yoga Class =-.

23. Laura Jane says:

I really struggle with this. I find that I do better when I’m extra focused but that requires so much time that I feel guilty for neglecting other things. I’m really looking for the balance between focusing on healthy living but not too much.
    .-= Laura Jane´s last blog ..Quick Update =-.