The Beginning

Sometimes the weight loss journey seems endless. I know it did for me.  Whether I was at the point early in my marriage where I had gained 35 pounds, or later on, when I had gained 150 pounds, the goal seemed just as far away. And although the 150 pound goal was father away, my perception didn’t change. I’d felt like I’d never get there.

Do you feel that way sometimes? All your weekly hard work results in such small losses on the scale that it is tempting to give up and have some ice cream. Exercising for 3 days in a row should cause us to lose at least something!

For me, the problem was expectations. In my daily life, I expected that when I did something I would see results. For example, when I worked full time and made calls, those calls resulted in action – not stagnation.

As you are traveling your weight loss road, I’d encourage you to think of your goal weight as the starting point, not the ending point. Reaching my goal started me on a new journey that has been filled with wonderful experiences I may have missed at 300 pounds. Thinking of your goal weight as the starting point of your new life journey may make you think differently about the weight loss process.  The weight loss journey can be long or short, depending on your goals and objectives. My journey into obesity took 10 years, and although I had great times and memories along the way, those obese years were difficult.

As you lose weight, try hard to remember there is life after weight loss. What will that life look like? Will you go back to old eating habits and regain your weight? Will you start a new career, begin a family or like me, have more children? Will there be things you will participate in that you don’t feel comfortable doing now? If so, what? For me, I wanted to be able to:

• play with my kids easily
  • go swimming
  • ride a bike
  • roller blade
  • not get stuck in chairs
  • fasten seat belts without an extender
  • ride amusement park rides
  • not be tired all the time
  • bring down my blood pressure
  • shop in the regular sized clothing stores
  • be able to easily shave my legs and tie my shoes
  • put on tights without ripping them

If you don’t think of your ending goal weight as your new starting point, you might forget about the point of weight loss. The goal of all this hard work is to enable you to enjoy life more, not less. To be more healthy, not less, and to get to a weight where you feel comfortable in your own skin. Once I reached my goal weight, I finally understood that I had a second chance at the healthy, active life I had missed out on by being overweight for so many years. I felt free to enjoy life in a way that was new for me.

I’d encourage you to not get so caught up in the journey that you forget what your own personal goal is. For me the goal was to live my life in a healthier way –  not just due to the elusive “perfect” number on the scale, but rather due to the new me!

What are some of your goals for yourself when you start on your new life journeyDiane

32 thoughts on “The Beginning

1. emergefit says:

A great perspective Diane, and honestly and angle don’t look at nearly enough.

As for your question, my fitness goal can be distilled down to the simplest one; that on the day of my death, be it at 50 or 92, that on that day, I had been active with my body and engaged with my loved ones. Who needs more….?
    .-= emergefit´s last blog ..Smile and say, “Cheez”… =-.

2. kwithme says:

This summer, I feel all things are possible. Most things are not scary. This attitude is because of two very significant changes. One is being 150 lbs (goal weight is 145) and the other is being almost 40. I don’t care about being the best or about discomfort. I am doing things I have always wanted to do. I have always wanted to be a runner, I am now. I was not when I was the same weight or more and 19, because it was too hard. Now, having topped out at 230lbs 10 years ago, nothing seems too hard.

3. Marcelle says:

Hello…have not read this entry as yet…so busy today, will pop around and catch up tomorrow…having a BBQ in three hours and have been out shopping all morning…oh and did run for an hour!!!
    Am commenting to check if all is working…xx

As most people my goals have been different at different life stages. To get through school, sometimes to lose weight, to acquire new skills, often to keep on keeping on. To echo Roy, my hope at the end is that it will be enough.

5. Karen@WaistingTime says:

I was just talking to my husband about this. And will one day write about it in my blog. Because I have finally figured out for myself that my goal is not a number on the scale. My goal is to be in control of my eating.
    .-= Karen@WaistingTime´s last blog ..Coming Unplugged =-.

Thank you for this post. I really needed to hear that today. I work out 6 days a week, try to watch what I eat, and take walks every evening. And I have had this routine for over 3 weeks. The scales show I have gained 3 pounds. Talk about devastating! Thank you again for your thoughts! God bless!

7. Lori Lynn says:

Thank you for the this post too. I think a goal of mine would be to be comfortable with being with a ton of food, and not letting it get out of control. I so appreciate your blogs, and look forward to reading them. You’re such an inspiration for me! 🙂
    .-= Lori Lynn´s last blog .. =-.

8. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

I love all of the things I have been able to do during the process. Being thinner and more active has opened up a whole new world for me that I never really understood (let alone wanted to be a part of).

My goals are to continue on making sure these changes are permanent and to enjoy the lifestyle I have made for myself over the last few years.
    .-= Lori (Finding Radiance)´s last blog ..Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel Review and Giveaway! =-.

9. Hanlie says:

I very much like the idea of seeing goal weight as the “beginning” and not the end. My ultimate goal is to take proper care of myself, meaning that I feed my body what it needs to stay healthy, that moving it becomes as natural for me as bathing it. That is not the means to an end, but the end itself. Weightloss must be incidental to that.
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..A quick and healthy dinner =-.

10. Deniz says:

I really relate to your point here Diane.

I’ve passed the ‘goal’ I thought I could get to as far as the weight side of things is concerned and, yes, it’s very nice to be in a position to say that.

But reaching this weight is not an end-point at all. It truly is a beginning. Along the way, I rediscovered ‘me’ – the person I thought had been lost forever (I’d never even considered this as part of the plan), so a new stage of my life has indeed begun.

Day-to-day life may still bring it’s trials and tribulations, but it’s fabulous in so many ways. I intend to count my blessings, make the most of it and enjoy it to the full.

You mentioned becoming “more healthy, not less” and getting to a weight where “you feel comfortable in your own skin”.

Worth it? Darn right! Being ‘here’ does feel like the start of a new life.
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..Health stuff =-.

11. Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42 says:

My goals are to be able to assist and care for my aging parents (only child) and their home, run with my children, run with my grandchildren, shop for clothing without it being a big deal, have energy and stamina.
    .-= Gina Fit by 41 Maybe 42´s last blog ..Puppy Love =-.

12. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

One of my first steps in losing my weight was to sit down and list the reasons why. None of them were pound-specific. They were all action-oriented or feeling-centered. They were about who I wanted to BE, not what I weighed or looked like. As you know, I achieved them all! And now I have new goals. It’s that delicious circle at work! 🙂
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..Because Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut… =-.

13. Tami says:

My goal this time was to be the healthiest me I can be.

Not just a number on the scale, not for an event and it is not just about how I look.

Those things are important but my over all health is first.

Eating healthy food, exercising and having a positive out look on life are all part of the package!

14. Sandi says:

Some of my goals were…
    To improve my health, diabetes runs in my family.
    To go up and down stairs easily.
    To feel comfortable around other people, not feel like I stick out in a crowd.
    I accomplished all of these and so many more with the weight loss.
    .-= Sandi´s last blog .. =-.

15. Cynthia (It All Changes) says:

I had this magic number in my head as my goal weight. But then I had other goals like being able to shop at a normal store and walk up my stairs to my without huffing and puffing and being able to play with my kids when I eventually have them.

Now that I have other little goals like that I’m not so obsessed with the number on the scale.
    .-= Cynthia (It All Changes)´s last blog ..Get ME to the Greek =-.

16. Tish says:

As I make my way (weigh?) toward a healthy lifestyle where my eating and exercise are contributing toward my good health, I’m learning lots of new things. My overall goal? I want to be the woman God meant for me to be. It is definitely a life long journey.

17. Laura Jane says:

The goal weight really does seem a long way off for me, but I really do think of as getting to the starting line. It’s by no means the end, but the beginning. I think what I want the most is to feel good about myself and the way I’m taking care of myself. I want to stop feeling guilty about the lack of control over what I eat. The good news is that can start now, long before I’m at my goal weight.
    .-= Laura Jane´s last blog ..I think I need to break up with Sugar… =-.

I would love to reach my long-term goal of 140 by my husband’s graduation next May and then I would be starting our new life as a full-time Navy family for the second time and be a healthier mom who is fit, can go on long bike rides with her family and keep up with teens running different directions.
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Weigh-In … Changes =-.

19. Fran says:

My goal is to get and stay healthy so I can get old healthy. The number at the scale is something I look at but the most important thing is that I like my body and feel good in it. Right now it doesn’t feel right after a week of too much too eat. I didn’t have to step on the scale this morning to see what I already knew. Time to get back on track because living healthy makes me feel so much better.

I like to think in terms of amusing goals, because smiling and laughter will go a long way towards getting anyone healthy and balanced !
    1. I want to worry about being lifted up and dragged in high winds. If you are heavy this is never a concern, but the lightweights in the world have a different experience.
    2. I want to sink to the bottom of the pool. When you are heavy, you tend to be very buoyant, and things like floating and swimming are almost effortless. Thin people sink easily, and therefore have to work hard to stay above water
    .-= Diane´s last blog ..Weeks results =-.

21. Barry Hughes says:

I want to get to a point where I can stand for more than 15 minutes without my back hurting and me looking for a chair. That just started back in January after I quit smoking and gain 20 more lbs but it’s been nearly 7 months and I can’t wait to start losing all of the weight.
    .-= Barry Hughes´s last blog ..Is Exercise Over Rated? =-.

My goals have been very similar to yours, and thinking of goal weight as a starting point is brilliant! I think we defeat ourselves prematurely when we view weightloss as a LOSING proposition (what I don’t get to eat or enjoy, deprivation, a constant struggle) instead of a GAINING proposition (gaining mobility, health, enjoyment of our bodies, clothes, ease playing with children, etc etc).

One excites us, the other depresses us. If we’re thinking of this long term, what is a healthier emotional mindset to work within?
    .-= Taryl´s last blog ..HYC Check in and question answered =-.

23. John says:

My goal is to continue with my new healthy lifestyle both food and fitness. I’m mulling over a big challenge next year I’ll let you know when I make the final decision.