Best Weight-Loss Advice Ever?

Over the years I’ve gotten and given a lot of weight loss advice. I’ve had people tell me you can’t lose weight if you eat spinach, the best way to lose weight is to eat low-carb and still other people tell me that you can’t lose weight unless you eat meat with every meal.

I literally could fill up an entire post with all the good, bad and wacky pieces of weight loss advice I’ve gotten. Hopefully the weight-loss advice and help I give doesn’t fall under the wacky and bad category!

I’ll tell you my best piece of advice another time. Today it’s about you. Short post today. . .

What’s the best weight loss advice you’ve ever given or gottenDiane

44 thoughts on “Best Weight-Loss Advice Ever?

This is a tough one! Hm the best weight loss advise I can give someone is: Lose weight to be healthier not to solve “other” life issues and figure out why you gained the weight to start with.Once you do that you have to find a exercise that you like to do 5 x a week along with modifying your diet.Lowering your calorie intake and keep fat % to 20-25%, no alchol while losing weight it just doesn’t work. Oh yeah, quit looking for the quick fix it doesn’t exist!

2. Laura says:

Take it slow. I want you not obese in two years time. I don’t want you not obese in two months and obese again after another two months.

3. Marsial2010 says:

The best weight loss advice I ever received was from my mother (I can remember only receiving three good pieces of advice from my Mother in my life). She said: “Lose it while you’re young, because it is a lot harder when you’re older.” Mother was right — now I’m older and it is much, much harder. It wasn’t that I didn’t listen — I just did it all wrong — tried to control my weight mostly through deprivation. Also had alot of chronic illness for years (very healthy now!) and ended up not caring. And that leads me to my best piece of advice to all: “NEVER STOP CARING!” Truly, after you wake up each AM, before you get out of bed, say, “I care about myself and I’m going to take good care of myself today!”

4. Laura says:

Susan, I’m in the process of trying to figure out why I gained in the first place. Have tried all the other “practical” approaches and am now thinking perhaps the answer lies in why I do what I do — and why I can’t stick with what I NEED to do to permanently lose it. Sorry, a little off topic but close to my heart.

5. Roxie says:

One size does not fit all. Each of us needs to find a lifestyle that is sustainable over the long haul. That usually means a bit of trial and error and to quote Cammy, baby step changes. It’s a journey, not a destination.

The other prong in this two-pronged attack is deciding that you are worth it. Worth the effort, worth the time, worth the love. Most of us felt undeserving for a very long time.
    .-= Roxie´s last blog ..Failure Stinks =-.

6. Marcelle says:

change your eating to something you can do long term, dont give up the foods you love, work them into your schedule. Watch portion sizes ~ this is a lifestyle not a diet!

Best weight loss advice given… the guy that got me hard core in to weights! 🙂 On top of other advice but I liked this one!

Given: Stay consistent, be patient, find a program you can live with, you can do more than you really think you can.. more than your mind says you can….
    .-= Jody – Fit at 52´s last blog ..Weight Loss Tips =-.

8. Deniz says:

Ooooh, such a lot of advice has been good advice and most of it has come from reading posts from other people on weight loss journeys too.

Best advice includes:
    – be mindful… always
    – cut the crap (choose fresh, healthy food)
    – substitute (switch well-loved foods for similar healthier/low-calorie options)
    – no food is banned (but learn moderation)
    – measure (learn about portion sizes – don’t guess)
    – measure (changes in your body, not just your weight)
    – drink (i.e. learn to love water… lots)
    – move! (do exercise you enjoy or you will not keep at it)
    – learn (about ‘you’… why you eat and what triggers you)
    – be kind (don’t beat yourself up over mistakes)
    .-= Deniz´s last blog ..Yo-yo =-.

9. Carol says:

The best advice I was ever given was not really advice, but more of an example. Years ago, I had a Weight Watchers leader who suffered a traumatic head injury. To help her recover, she was given steroids. She knew she would gain weight from the steroids whether she ate healthfully or not. She chose to continue to follow the Weight Watchers plan instead of giving up on weight loss during that time (and gained 12 pounds). That always stuck with me that she didn’t give up even though circumstances were beyond her control. It took about 20 years for me to apply that to my own weight loss efforts, but now I see that consistency and persistance are the true markers of my success.

10. Michelle says:

With anything you do whether it’s food choices or exercise:
    strive for consistency, not perfection 🙂

11. Cynthia (It All Changes) says:

“Your weight loss, is your weight loss.”

For me moderation of some foods doesn’t work and certain exercises don’t work and lots of the things that work for others don’t work for me. So doing what works for me (in a healthy way of course) was the best thing that helped. I wouldn’t recommend all I do to some people because they don’t have IBS and all my issues. But it works for me because I am unique.
    .-= Cynthia (It All Changes)´s last blog ..Happy Birthday America- =-.

12. Fran says:

Best advice: start exercising/running! That’s when my weight really started to get off.

I’ve read a lot about weight loss, tried a lot but in the end I believe it’s all about just eating healthy and exercise with a little treat every now and then.

I think the best advice I can give, from personal experience, is to learn to love yourself “as is” first and then the weight will come off after that.

I think the best advice I’ve received is to start now – little by little and don’t stress over perfection. Take it a day at a time, one small choice at a time.

Oh and one friend told me years ago that she just started to “trade in that extra slice of bread for a cup of broccoli” and that’s what started helping her get healthier. I’ve never forgotten that, and again it’s a little baby step.

Very nice, simple post. Great idea!
    .-= Leah´s last blog ..Let Freedom Ring- – Day 6 -amp Happy 4th- =-.

14. Sandi says:

This is hard there are so many and they’ve mostly come from blogs like yours. I think being determined to stick with it. If one way isn’t working keep trying until you find what does. Everyone is different, what works for one won’t work for another. Find what works for you.
    .-= Sandi´s last blog ..Learning to trust yourself =-.

15. Jenn Barley | The KickStart Coach says:

What a great question — I too have given and received a lot of weight loss advice. I would say more than advice — it is the process that in order to really achieve results that last you have to understand that your thoughts determine your feelings which determine your actions.

So looking at your belief system is critical.

My favorite mantra is You Are Not Your Weight.
    .-= Jenn Barley | The KickStart Coach´s last blog ..Hemp Protein Berry Smoothie =-.

16. Mbini says:

The only peace of mind I got was when I decided, the scale doesn’t make me. I weigh myself and I don’t take the numbers to heart. And I am happier, I work harder even if there is no change, or worse a negative change. This is my life and I am in control.
    .-= Mbini´s last blog ..The Best 8 Years of my Life =-.

17. Desmond says:

With hundreds of diet and weight loss products on the market, it can be extremely difficult to decide which one is the best for you. All of them sound promising, unfortunately many of them may not may not live up to there claims. My advice therefore to anyone trying to loose or control their weight is to be aware of all the myths surrounding diets to protect yourself.

18. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Best advice I got was to ignore the scale and focus on what I was *doing.* Since I was *doing* lots and lots of good stuff, I always felt like a success. Sometimes the scale reflected that, sometimes not, but in 17 months, I never got discouraged!
    .-= Cammy@TippyToeDiet´s last blog ..Sweet Heat Relief =-.

19. Debra says:

Believe.
    If you going to follow a plan/eat healthy/exercise then BELIEVE that you will get the results you want. You may not and probably won’t get them as soon as you want but BELIEVE and it will happen sooner than later.
    .-= Debra´s last blog ..Eggplant Parmesan =-.

20. Tami says:

Best advice was Dr Oz saying to think of the food you eat as a prescription for your health and ask yourself if you doctor would prescribe for you what you are about to eat.

21. Sharon says:

Great question, Diane! Have really enjoyed reading all the comments.

1) Find the eating plan that works for you. If it isn’t something you can do for the rest of your life, it will not work. You may initially lose weight, but you will gain it back because you will not have learned how to eat in the real world.

2) There are lots of healthy, balanced, successful programs and plans out there, but always understand in the back of your mind that it is all about calories consumed and calories burned. (Eat less, move more!!)

3) Keep it simple.

22. Beth says:

1. Be consistent, whatever program you choose to do. (Whether it be low carb or counting calorie, don’t give up after a week: stick with it!)

2. Be honest with yourself (Even if no one else saw you eat it, it still counts! A food diary helps on this count)

3. Everything in moderation (including moderation)

23. LovesCatsinCA says:

The best weight loss advice ever? SECOND: We all are different and we all have different biochemistries and metabolisms and personalities. What works for one person doesn’t work for another person. Some people do better with abstinence and others with moderation. If you tell me I can’t have something I want to dive into it–I’m a moderation person so I have to work my favorite treats into my lifestyle, in limited portion sizes.

My mother’s mother, grandmother and two of her sisters had/have type 2 diabetes. None of them were all that heavy, it’s a genetic thing (and all four of them are teeny tiny old ladies in their 80s now…) But I have blood sugar issues–if I eat a candy bar or a few cookies or drink a couple ounces of a dessert wine on an empty stomach, or if I eat too many carbohydrates during a meal, my heart pounds and I break into a sweat. It’s rather alarming–and it’s a godsend because I have no desire to overeat sweets as I feel so terrible.

I do better eating protein at every meal to balance out the carbs. And I can satisfy my sweet tooth with a couple bites of someone else’s dessert at a restaurant–and at home, I’ll eat berries and yogurt, or 1/2 a serving of Trader Joe lowfat “Cats” cookies, or some no sugar added ice cream. I like the taste of sweet but not the feeling I get from real sugar in any quantity.

Today was taco salad day at the company cafeteria. I love the taco salads, which can be huge, calorie laden monstrosities. But with no thousand island, no chips, very little olives and cheese and an emphasis on tomatoes and salsa, I have them make me a 500 calorie version where most of the calories are coming from the meat–and it’s very filling and delicious and enjoyable and I feel good afterwards because my blood sugar stays stable for hours and hours after a meal like that.

I have many friends who swear by Weight Watchers to keep their weight managed. The thought of weighing in publicly and attending meetings all the time doesn’t appeal to me. They can’t deal with calorie counting and prefer “points.” I like calorie counting and don’t mind it at all. As far as the intuitive eating versus calorie counting goes, I do wait till I’m hungry to eat and can recognize hunger, but have a problem recognizing satiety until it’s long past. So I’d rather be comfortable and count calories to figure out reasonable amounts to eat.

So we’re all different and we all have what works for us. And the BEST weight loss advice–DON’T GIVE UP.

24. John says:

The best one for me was you could do it while eating carbs. This made it so much easier to eat well all the time compared to when I tried Atkins 7 years ago. Now I watch my cals and shoot for 40%carb:30%Fat:30%protein

25. Quix says:

Gotta pick two, but they’re the major two.

#1 Calories in, calories out. There’s nothing magical about it. Take in about 500 less calories than you burn per week and you’ll lose a lb. If it’s eating oreo cookie shakes or eating veggies, it’s still the same, although the veggies will be more satisfying. If you want to consume a lot, work out a lot. It’s just a mathematical equation.

#2 You need to start when you are ready and motivated to do it. If you don’t have your heart and soul to throw into it right now, don’t do it. To start a lifestyle change is work and stress and uncomfortable – if you’re not ready, wait til you are. Of course, the sooner the better, but I know that when I tried to lose weight and my heart wasn’t in it, I just failed and got depressed and disappointed in myself. Realize it’s a commitment you have to really want to dedicate time to making happen.
    .-= Quix´s last blog ..That’ll Do Pig =-.

26. Hanlie says:

The best advice I’ve received is to build a relationship of trust with my body. It’s a two-way street.

I need to trust my body to respond to my efforts and I need to trust the feedback I receive from my body instead of relying on the external – i.e scales, devices, experts, calorie counters, etc.

Similarly, my body needs to trust me to provide it with enough, nutrient-rich food, adequate exercise and hydration and plenty of sleep. This trust can only be built by showing my body that I care on a daily basis – in other words, consistency is important.

This is such a biggie for me, I think I might just write a blog post in the near future to expand on this!
    .-= Hanlie´s last blog ..Know when to fold ‘em =-.

27. smilinggreenmom says:

Love it – slow and steady wins the race! It’s true that I think we all need to find what works best for us because that is the way it will work in the long run. I am personally just trying to think about overall wellness and not so much weight and what that means for me is eating whole foods, more grains, less processed, avoiding the “white” flours/sugars, drinking more water and green tea as well as taking my Vidazorb probiotic. I am doing pretty well with this and am now looking to add more exercise and yoga! I can’t wait!