This Got Me Running

On Friday morning I decided to get outside and exercise extra early because I had a lot to do that day. I usually get up at 4:30 a.m., blog and write for two hours and then exercise from 6:30 a.m. until 7:15 a.m. On Friday, I headed out the door at 5:40 a.m. to exercise.

I had walked one leg of my walk and was headed back in front of my house. I glanced over at my neighbor’s property and saw what I thought was a cat. I thought to myself, “I haven’t seen that yellowish color cat around before,” and kept walking. When I came back in front of the house again the cat-thing was still sitting there. I stopped walking, looked very closely and realized:

That Is Not A Cat – That Is A Coyote!

Well, I walked a few paces and then ran as fast as my legs could carry me up my driveway and into my house, yelling for my dog the whole time. If you could have seen me you would have laughed your head off.

I grabbed my binoculars and peered through my window from the safety of my family room. Sure enough, the cat-coyote stretched and bounded off into my neighbor’s woods. I soon heard their gigantic Bouviers barking and knew that coyote was gone. (Not dead, just ran off!)

Should I have run? I don’t know. I don’t think coyotes generally attack humans, but he scared me. Later, I got to thinking about how I ran like I have never run in my life when I was afraid he would hurt me or my dog.

It made me think again about the period of my life when I was morbidly obese and there was nothing in this world that would get me to exercise. It wasn’t until I became afraid for my life that I started walking and then running for my life. And I’m so glad I did.

Has anything ever spurred you into running for your life?  Diane

34 thoughts on “This Got Me Running

1. Rachel Palmieri says:

I run like Michael Johnson if there are bees/wasps/hornets coming after me. I was once chased by an entire hornets nest. You’d of thought I had an axe murderer on my trail, LOL.

2. Marisa (Loser for Life) says:

YIKES!! That is scary but, kind of cool, too that you got to see a coyote!

Glad you’re okay 🙂 Great parallel to your weight loss, too. I think that when we are overweight, we are running FROM our lives. Then, as you said, we get to the point where we actually fear for our health and start running for our lives! I’m glad I did, too 🙂

3. Marsial2010 says:

Diane, when I bike I always wear a little canister of pepper spray (MACE) around my wrist. I bike at forest preserves, and you never know what or who you might encounter. But, as to your question, I am biking and walking for my life everyday now. I’m over 60 and, let’s face it, my time is beginning to run down. I believe, due to genetics and current excellent health, that I probably will live another 30 years. Every day of the time I have left, I want my life to be as healthy, active, happy, and interesting as possible. Marsial

I have run from bears, bees, skunks and several other critters in my life , AND survived a bear attack, where a whole other kind of survival mode kicks in . Coyotes are a big problem here believe it or not ( displaced habitat causes them to move into human areas). As a rule humans are not in danger from them unless they come in packs. Running is not always the wisest course of action, but yelling your head off and throwing an object at them is better. Seeing one indicates you have them in your area , and you are likely to run into them again. Stay calm( they smell adrenaline) and yell. Also, if you have pets in your yard, they are much more prone to an attack by these coyotes than you, and they will be drawn to any food source you leave outside for your pets ( that and garbage in or out of cans are the two biggest reasons they have moved into areas where man occupies. In future, carrying a whistle with you on your runs may be helpful and if attacked, grab it’s tongue if possible. This action makes them choke and they will release their bite and turn tail.

5. Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman says:

That’s scary! I would have ran, too. Thankfully, I’ve had no close encounters with anything that’s gotten me to run for my life. Though I jump on tables and chairs like my life depends on it when I see a mouse.

On another note: Kudos for getting up at 4:30. That’s torture to me.

Even in crowded CA, I have run into coyotes on my outside run. The lack of open space forces them into neighborhoods looking for food & unfortunately that may be a person’s cat… yes, I have been scared by more than one on my runs since I go out EARLY!

7. Tish says:

LOL at the picture of you escaping from the clutches of the coyote. Many years ago, when Cooper wrote his little book on Aerobics that got people exercising, I started running. I thought then, and believe now, that I am running for my life. It doesn’t have to be a literal run, but exercise is key.

8. Cammy@TippyToeDiet says:

Yikes! I don’t know what I would’ve done either, but it’s something I should think about since we also have them in our area. (We also have red foxes, but they’re really skittish.)

Crossing the street in Memphis is often a run-for-your life experience, but other than that, I can’t recall a similar situation. It’s definitely an argument against flip-flops, because you just never know. 🙂

9. Shawnee says:

That would be scary! I might have ran if I had my dog with me. I am not sure what you’re “supposed to do” though. I’ve never ran from fear. Oh that’s not true, I’ve ran from a few very large spiders! Eeek. 😛

10. Hope (Unexpected Sunshine) says:

OMG HOLY CRAP! I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had run into him, I probably would have run for my life as well, looking back to make sure he wasn’t right at my heels. Bees/wasps/hornets/yellow jackets/ anything with a stinger makes me run away. I’m a chicken. 🙂

I’m glad you didn’t get hurt, because I think they can attack if they feel threatened.

Hope

(P.S. I have a new blog now, as I’m going to close down Hope’s Journey, you should come and check it out, although there isn’t much right now) 🙂

11. Desert Agave says:

Wow, what an encounter for first thing in the morning! I’m glad you came out of it okay. I don’t think I’ve ever literally run for my life, but certainly I’m doing it somewhat metaphorically every time I get out there and run at all.

12. Yum Yucky says:

Next time take some mace to disable him and then cook yourself up some Coyote Stew….or not.

The very last thing that got me running was during my 5-mile run. I pretended there were zombies chasing me. It made me run faster. It was like a challenge, ya know. But the weird thing is, I really got spooked. I’m such a mess. I know.

13. Michelle says:

I get scared when I see a fox! If I saw a coyote, I would sprint! We live in an area w/ wildlife (inc. mountain lions) but I haven’t seen a coyote or mtn. lion yet.

14. 'Drea says:

So, it’s not only eagles that like to be up at that time of day?

Glad you’re okay. Luckily, I haven’t had to run from anything but if I had to, it’s nice to know that I’m able to…

15. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

You just never know when an animal might be rabid. We had a attack by a rabid fox at a small local beach around here. So bizarre.

Wildlife is wonderful to see when out and about, but distance is always better.

I believe it was last summer that I ran from a barking dog that was not chained in his yard. There were pit bulls in that neighborhood and we ended up getting back to our cars pretty quick.

4:30 am …. wow…. I can’t imagine unless I have a road trip to get up for. 🙂

Oh, and when I started my weight loss journey it was for my life as well. I realized I was too young to feel so old and I desperately needed to change.

Thanks for sharing your story. I like the life stories you’re sharing recently.

We had a problem with coyotes a few years ago. All the neighborhood cats disappeared! Diane, do you live on my block? My neighbor has two Bouviers and they keep the coyotes away!

18. jenn says:

I kinda like Coyotes. 🙂

A few years ago we were on a hike when my younger son thought is would be “fun” to kick a bees nest. They got TICKED and started chasing us. We all sprinted down the trail like maniacs. Thankfully we didn’t get stung too many times. My son 1 or 2 and my hubby 3 or 4. My older son and I escaped unstung. (I don’t think that’s a word!)

19. John says:

Not sure what the theory is with meeting up with coyotes. I think they’d run first if approached unless they were rabid.

Bees and barking dogs that aren’t chained while I bike or ride past. Luckily I know where they all are now and can anticipate them now.

20. Christine says:

Yikes! That’s scary, but think about it….you ran! What a great feeling, huh? I wonder if I can bring coyotes into my gym to get my @ss in gear there…lol! 🙂

Food and Feeding Habits
    • Coyotes are opportunists, both as hunters and as scavengers. They eat any small animal they can capture,
    including mice, rats, gophers, mountain beavers, rabbits, and squirrels, also snakes, lizards, frogs, fish, birds, and carrion (animal carcasses). Grass, fruits, and berries are eaten during summer and fall.
    • Grasshoppers and other insects are important to juvenile coyotes learning the stalk-and pounce method of
    hunting.
    • Pairs of coyotes or family groups using the relay method pursue small deer and antelope. These mammals are
    important food in winter; fawns may be eaten in spring.
    • Coyotes eat wild species, but they are known to eat pet food, garbage, garden crops, livestock, poultry, and pets
    (mostly cats).
    • Coyotes occasionally kill domestic dogs (and foxes) that they consider territorial intruders. Coyotes are also very protective of their young and will attack dogs that get too close to their den and pups. Note: The list of killers of domestic cats and dogs includes other dogs and cats, vehicles, bears, cougars, bobcats, foxes, disease, and furious neighbors!
    • Most hunting activity takes place at night. Undisturbed and hungry coyotes will hunt during daylight hours, and
    may be seen following farm machinery, catching voles and other small prey.

I didn’t know either – so I looked it up – very interesting – and it appears you were perfectly safe.

We used to have a neighborhood fox and we all loved him – kept the bunny population under control. My girls wanted one for our yard – to take care of the moles, chipmunks, squirrels and bunnies. There is an outdoor cat (lives behind us) who is hunting less and less as he gets older. But I don’t think he would permit another cat (let alone a fox!) in our yard – he considers it his.

Middle child dashed away from me coming out of post office once. And I was too fat to catch her. My voice (screaming) stopped her just in time from stepping out into traffic.

24. Pam says:

I think that would have made me run, too! I did come face to face with a snake in my parents back yard once that actually struck at me. I backed away slowly, got about 5 feet and ran like the wind back into the garage.

I think I am starting to find the fighting spirit to which you refer…being in fear for your life and all…I truly am feeling like this is it. Thanks for another great post and for all you do!

25. Jen says:

Coyotes might not go after you but small kids, dogs and cats are prime targets. I live in the city and they are in my neighborhood too!

26. Lori Lynn says:

That would be so scary! I went on a mission trip to Juneau several years ago where I counseled at a Bible camp, and we were warned about the bears there. There were bears that you were to be quiet and not make noise, and then there were bears around that you were supposed to wear a bell and make noise. It was kind of nerve-wracking trying to know what to do! I was never so glad to get back to not having to worry about knowing the difference between the bears! LOL

27. MB says:

I probably would have frozen in fear and then peed my pants before running like hell. We’re always running into various wild beasts in the woods of VT. Some are much more scarier than others. Glad you and the dog are safe.

28. Amanda@SenseiTalks says:

Ahhh! I would have probably done what MB would do…pee my pants and run like a bat out of hell! Down here in South Florida we don’t see those kind animals running around!! EEEK!