Summer Drink Ideas?

I don’t know where you live but here it is scorching hot. It’s so hot that we are under a heat advisory. We’ve been staying inside, drinking lots of water and trying to stay cool in our little backyard pool.

This awful heat made me think about summer drinks. I admit I am a bit boring when it comes to drinks. Water, tea and occasionally decaf coffee are about it for me.

Because I’m boring, I did a quick search on healthy summer drinks. Here are some ideas I saw:

Mix orange juice with plain yogurt and freeze for a couple of hours.

Crystal light drinks. (I seem to remember they now have one that doesn’t use artificial sweeteners.)

Make ice cubes using fruit juice and put into water.

Iced tea with Splenda or Truvia.

Club soda with a splash of lemon.

I was wondering if you’d share your for a healthy drink that’s not high in calories but tasty enough for the whole family to have as a treat?   Diane

23 thoughts on “Summer Drink Ideas?

One favorite thing here is something I call Sassy Water. Take a gallon pitcher, slice one organic lemon, one english cucumber, an inch of fresh ginger and about 20 fresh mint leaves. Place in the pitcher, fill with water and refrigerate for about 4 hours. Strain and drink- very refreshing !

2. Jules - Big Girl Bombshell says:

One of my favorite refreshing drinks is water with a slice of lime, slice of lemon, and a slice of orange. That’s it!

Another for me was Cranberry juice and just a touch of diet sprite..but since I try to stay away from soda (diet or otherwise) this one I don’t drink so much.

And lastly, I am fortunate enough that I do not like sweet tea so I brew up sun tea with lots of flavored teas for a change of pace

I have to say that making “Sweet Tea” with splenda vs regular sugar is my favorite summertime drink. I have learned that splenda still carries calories, so you still can’t drink it all day.

Today at a restaurant I saw advertised Ginger Ale with pomegranate juice. If you did diet or low-cal Ginger Ale I bet that would be good!

Thinking of trying that “Sassy Water” mentioned above. 🙂

4. LRBECKY says:

QVC has a fruit infusion pitcher that I bought and you can use any kind of fruit in it and it will last up to 2 weeks as long as you keep the water covering the fruit !
    So far I have just used lemons and limes and it works great ! Think I will use stawberry and lemon next ! I am a true wateraholic !!! I love water !!!

5. Desert Agave says:

I’m another one who mostly sticks to water, tea, and coffee. My favorite this summer, besides plain old ice water, is an iced green mint tea that is made at one of my favorite cafes. It is perfect as it, no sweetener needed.

6. Babbalou says:

We drink iced green or herbal tea, when I have young kids visiting, they get a little honey added to the tea. In India they drink tea with lots of chopped fresh ginger and mint, it’s fabulous. I also like seltzer with limes and ice. After dinner my husband and I like an occasional decaf frappiccino – I use 3 spoons of decaf, 3 splendas, a little vanilla, some evaporated milk, lots of ice (10-15 smallish cubes) and some milk (real, almond or soy) and whirl in the blender. Makes two really big glasses. The kids used to like smoothies made similarly with some frozen fruit in place of some of the ice and undiluted frozen juice (orange or cranberry) as needed for flavor. I also like homemade very lightly sweetened lemon or lime-aid – I think sour drinks are fabulous, especially when it’s hot. And you can always make frozen pops from blended fruit, with juice and/or plain yogurt to taste. We also love frozen bananas (really 1/2 a banana seems like a serving – it’s much like sherbet.

I am a water person most of the time unless I am having my beloved coffee BUT seeing that crystal light there, how about making that into ice cubes to throw in regular water.. could even mix flavors!

8. Fran says:

When it’s hot I prefer cold water. And some ice tea every now and then. I often put water in the fridge and add some mint to it which makes it more tasty.

9. Julia says:

I’ve been doing the ice coffee thing this year – the rest of the time it’s water.
    I have some limes so will try that this week 🙂

10. fd says:

like others, i like to just add some ginger, lemon, mint or a couple of berries to flavour my water in summer. Or, what I’ve been having recently is grapefruit juice with sparkling water and ice (one fifth grapefruit and the rest water). its super refreshing!