I Can’t Believe It’s Almost Over

In our county school has already started. I can’t believe that school is back in session and that summer is winding down. I know the calendar says there are a few more weeks of summer, but for me, when school starts back – it’s over.

We didn’t travel anywhere this summer, but we did enjoy some great family time. We swam in our above ground pool, tried to keep the garden weeds away (unsuccessfully) and built lots of Lego castles.

I had set some fitness goals for myself this summer. I really wanted to commit to strength training with my Gym in a Bag, with my stability ball and using my body weight for exercises like planks and push-ups. I am still horrible at the push-ups, but the planks are coming along.

I also wanted to cross-train on the bike in case I ever wanted to do a small triathlon. I did okay with the bike, but riding on the road scares me. That forces me to stay in the neighborhood which is pretty flat. I need to either get over my fear of road riding or give up on that goal.

I think all in all I’d give myself a “B” on achieving my summer fitness goals. I didn’t get it all done, but I didn’t let it all go either.

Did you set any summer fitness goals? How did you do?  Diane

34 thoughts on “I Can’t Believe It’s Almost Over

1. Marcelle says:

Please dont say summer is over…I know I keep saying it as well,but hoping I’m wrong as I cant face the cold and winter months…too soon for me..am just getting going with my outdoor running and now have to think about heading back to the gym for the treadmill.

Its warmed up here today…after two very cold and wet weeks..but I am freezing…honestly, my hubby is hot and thinks I am ill cause I am covered in goosebumps all the time and plain cold…what am I going to be in winter….
    Oh yes I remember now…going to South Africa for two months in summer…have that to look forward to.

My running has improved but have not done much strength training.

2. Jules - Big Girl Bombshell says:

My summer fitness goals…yeah…I did…they were small…I lost that 5 lbs AND today, I bought the new shoes I promised myself…And guess what…they were Nike Walking Shoes…that’s different but nice…it felt good!

Thanks Diane…just wanted you to know I kept that promise to myself…

3. Lori (Finding Radiance) says:

We still have a bit of summer to go here. Kids don’t go back until after Labor Day.

Don’t give up on the bike goal. It’s like driving a car. It takes getting used to traffic. Own the road – you have every right to be sharing the road with the cars. Start out on less busy roads and then move up. I don’t like riding on busy roads, but if I have to I will to get to places I want to go.

4. Kate says:

School started her a week ago! I’m going ahead and getting our homeschooling back up and running now, even though we’ll still take a few trips to the pool before it closes for the year.

I’m afraid of biking on the road too. I have read that it is one of the most dangerous sports because of accidents and run-ins with cars, sadly. We do have some good hills in our neighborhood though, so as long as I don’t mind never riding more than 8 miles or so, I should be fine. Are there any trails for biking near where you live? Perhaps you could give mountain biking a try, and at least avoid the cars.

Personally, I cannot wait till we begin our homeschool year here in a week- I am chomping at the bit to get started ! I do=id not have specific fitness goals, just to keep moving , which we did. In the next few weeks I want to be able to get out and use my trekking poles more often, and the cooler temps, lower humidity and more formal time structure should make it happen.

6. Emergefit says:

I think you can give yourself an A, because you moved, you gardened, you ate well, and you look like a pipe cleaner compared your to your former self. I give you an A anyway.

My summer goal was the same as my winter goal; wake early, work hard, finish. Successful I am 🙂

7. moonduster (Becky) says:

We’ve got until the first week of September for our Summer vacation, but then, the kids didn’t get out of school until the last week of July.

Still, it really does just fly by!

8. JourneyBeyondSurvival says:

My summer has been busier than planned. I had too many therapists coming for my youngest and doctors visits that took all day. I wanted to have my children take swim lessons. Play soccer. Teach alphabets.

It was not what I wished.

But we did a beautiful job with what we had.

9. Karen@WaistingTime says:

We have a week and a half until school starts for my teen. My college son does not start until later this month. I set some eating goals, but not fitness goals. Sadly, I have not done so well:(

10. Tish says:

We have the Kings Dominion regulation in our county–no school until after Labor Day so the kids can take full advantage of our lovely, expensive theme park. My summer fitness goals were to rev up the exercise to 6/7 days (done) and to increase my running from a bare minimum (done). I’m feeling good about it, but yearning for the cooler days of fall.

11. mamajuliana says:

I can’t believe that school started already. Here school doesn’t begin until August 30th!

My fitness goal was to keep walking no matter how hot it got! I did keep walking, but we did not get in as many family hikes as we would have liked. Part of the reason was the weather, but the other part was that our son who graduated this past May, had a job and other things to do, so we never got around to going out…

He leaves for college in 11 days…hopefully we’ll get a hike in to Bilger’s Rocks before he leaves!

12. Pingback: Body Workout 101
  13. Julia says:

Most of the schools have started here too except my kids that start on the 23rd.
    Do you have a place to go ride like a greenway or similar?

14. South Beach Steve says:

Honestly, I haven’t done good on my summer goals. It is almost unbelievable that it is over. Our public schools start this week, although neighboring counties started last week. I think we are starting our children next Monday.

Have a great day Diane.

15. 'Drea says:

My main goal was to move as much as possible and that was it. I do have some events that I would like to participate in later on in the year.

By the way, I’m shocked too that it’s time for Back To School sales and whatnot…

Oh Diane, I totally feel like I failed my summer goals! I wanted to move and stay active this whole pregnancy, and I’ve been a slug flee the second half. I know I cant help it and it was necessary, but I still feel a little disappointment that I couldn’t keep up a higher activity level than waddling through my daily chores (barely).

17. cindy says:

Our schools don’t start until the 23rd.
    I just set a goal that I want to be able to do 10 pull ups by December, so far I can do two.

18. Sharon says:

I’m going to be the radical today….I can’t WAIT for summer to be over. I am not a summer person and my fitness routine always suffers in the summertime. It’s just too hot and my walking places are too crowded. Can’t wait for school to start, classes at UT to resume and the gawking (translate: very dangerous) tourists leave the Smokies. Yes, I am grateful for the tourists – they keep the economy rolling, but PLEASE, don’t brake suddenly in the middle of the main road to take a picture of the 550th deer you see. Yep, I’m counting down the days till September.

19. Alissa says:

I am scared to ride my bike along the road too! I set a goal to run a 5k, which I did, and I have another one coming up soon! It’s hard to believe that summer is almost over. I have 2 weeks before it’s back to school.

girls have one week left (the week starting tomorrow) and oldest has three weeks left until school starts, but only two weeks left until he goes back (life guards have to be there earlier). in some ways it flew. but in other ways it took forever. not my best summer of outside stuff, but maybe my best summer of handling outside stuff without letting it crash me.

and speaking of crashing – I would just stay off the road – you have a lot of kids counting on you and it is just not worth the risk.

21. Fran says:

In Holland our country is divided in three parts concerning the holidays. This means that every part gets vacation a week or two weeks later. Where I live schools have one more day of vacation left. We were the first which means the last part will get back to school in September.

For me Summer is always over as soon as August is over. So 3 more weeks to go. Summer is the season I don’t really like. Spring, Autumn, Winter are all fine but don’t like Summer.

I think you did great on your Summer goals. I suck at push ups too, definitely something to work on.

My Summer challenge doesn’t end till the last week of August and will post my final results by then.

22. Mary (A Merry Life) says:

I didn’t set any summer fitness goals this summer because I had way too much else to do (road trip, moving abroad, etc). That’s awesome that you made some progress on your goals! I wish summer lasted longer… it feels crazy how soon kids go back to school!

23. Jenn@slim-shoppin says:

I have a few more weeks until my kids start back. It went by WAY too fast!

I didn’t do all the things I wanted to do either. But, we still went to our local pool a lot, I attempted to garden, and I rode my bike to work every day (unless it was raining), so I felt great about that!

24. Miz says:

I laugh that since we moved to TX about a decade ago summer feels like what used to be my east coast winter

lottsa time inside and I hope to just MAINTAIN 🙂
    its the winters here when I set more goals (get outside and RUN!! HIKE!)

suffice it to say Im glad its fall 🙂

Our kids go back on the 19th and I can’t believe summer’s almost over as well. It makes me sad to see summer breaks shortening.

Oh well….

I’d have to give myself a C on reaching my goals for this summer. I haven’t done what I planned to do, but I haven’t gained weight. I’ve also seen changes I didn’t plan on seeing, so maybe a C+ would be okay. 🙂

26. Lisa says:

I don’t have kids so my summer is based on what my school calendar was. And it’s summer until the end of August at least!
    I hope you can get over your fears of riding on the road – your neighborhood looks so idyllic – it should be wonderful to ride there.
    As for my fitness goals – I’m giving myself a B+, not doing as much swimming as I wanted but I’ve really improved on the bike so I’m very pleased about that.

27. MB says:

I’m a winter girl so the best thing about summer is how fast it flies by. I still have hope that I’ll hit my summer goal of hiking on the ridge of Stowe. The weather and the bf’s work schedule has gotten in the way but I’m keeping my fingers crossed we’ll get there before the snow falls.