How Do You Handle These Little Treats?

I read the USA article by Nanci Hellmich detailing some candy calorie amounts, and I thought I’d share them with you. I know – I’m cruel! ๐Ÿ™‚

Honestly though – I loved halloween candy when I was overweight. The stores started putting out the candy sometime in September or early October, giving me plenty of time to buy a bag, eat a bag, buy two bags, eat two bags all under the pretense of having enough candy for our church’s fall festival.ย I’d justify the purchase to myself by telling myself that “that candy is a good price” so I’ll buy a couple of bags to save money. Unfortunately, I ended up spending lots more money on that candy than was necessary. Both monetarily and calorie wise. Here’s the list from the USA Today article:

• Fun-size Butterfinger: 85 calories, 3.5 grams fat
  • Fun-size Snickers: 80 calories, 4 grams fat
  • Fun-size M&Ms: 73 calories, 3 grams fat
  • Snack-size Hersheyโ€™s Milk Chocolate: 67 calories, 4 grams fat
  • 10 candy corns: 75 calories, no fat (JUST 10!!)
  • Fun-size Skittles: 60 calories, 0.7 grams fat
  • Tootsie Roll pop: 60 calories, no fat
  • Starburst Fruit Chews (2): 40 calories, 0.8 grams fat

When I hold one of these in my hand these days, I often think to myself, “What about this piece of chocolate held so much sway over me in my obese days?” Now, I’ve read some books, including Dr. Kessler’s “The End of Overeating,” and I understand the “whys” but it is still amazing to me that something so small could have so much power.

ย

A lot of people ask me if I still eat candy. I could lie and say, “Oh, never.” But, if you asked my kids they would laugh and say that I do occasionally have a piece of candy or some chocolate chips. And so do they. For me, I’ve come to the point that I can have a piece without eating the whole bag, but it did take me a long time to get there. Those first years of dieting and then maintenance found me struggling with controlling the chocolate/candy impulse. It took time to break my taste buds and my mind from feeling the “need” for candy.

Now that Halloween is almost upon us and Christmas won’t be far behind, how do you handle the abundance of candy on co-worker’s desk, in a bowl at stores and lining the grocery store shelves?

Have a bit? Say “no way,” or do you find it hard to be satisfied with a small amount?ย  Diane

28 thoughts on “How Do You Handle These Little Treats?

1. Miz says:

for me it is 100% WHATEVER THE ANSWER having it be a mindful choice not a mindLESS nosh.

It sounds … overly simplified ๐Ÿ™‚ but it was the mindless (HELLO! crap tv and a bag of reeces cups shared with the dog whom we know isnt allow to eat chocolate so there was no sharing :)) which packed on the pounds for me.

eating mindfully.
    ENJOYED.

2. blackhuff says:

We don’t celebrate Halloween here in SA but with Christmas around the corner, I know that candy will be seen in everyone’s office.
    How will I handle this?
    By telling myself that I don’t need to put empty calories into my body. The method of talking myself through cravings or situations like this, help me.

Candy is not even an issue in our house. I buy things for the Trick or Treaters and the rest gets shipped out. Halloween is a religious holiday for me and the problem usually comes from dealing with several dishes of foods to honor numerous ancestors- none of which can be made in small quantities or is necessarily figure friendly ( I think it is because these foods were designed to hold children down during strong windstorms while working out in the fields !)This year I have figured out a way to get around this. Thanksgiving is about turkey and ten million variations of stuffing and sweet potatoes( can be more damaging calorie wise than candy), and Christmas is more about trying to buy gifts for a big family and then gathering to eat a lot of “nibble” foods( again, can be a lot worse than candy). On those occasions when I crave something sweet, I find sugar fred gum satisfies very well.

4. Sharon says:

I cannot be satisfied with a little, so my response has to be “no way” and to make every effort not to be found where the temptation is. Right now, that is very hard! Sent DH to grocery this week!

If we can get to where you are at, Diane, with consistent portion control, then the rest takes care of itself. Until that happens it’s probably a good plan to really avoid binge foods as we build the habits that will carry us.

6. Lori Lynn says:

I’ve actually been doing relatively well this season, by avoiding it all together– though I know hormones sometimes get the best of me, and I’ll start craving it. For me, it seems it’s easier to just not have any, b/c once that sugar rush starts, it’s hard to stop!

7. Sandy says:

Halloween candy is the beginning of a downward slide for me every year. I love candy and when they put it right there in the center aisle I am so tempted. I end up buying it and then eating way too much. Then I hide it and do better for a while but I always know it is there. This year I bought it found myself going the same way and got up one morning and took it to my Jazzercise class so that someone there who has trick or treaters or a church or school party could give it away. My first impulse was to throw it away but that seemed wasteful when someone else was buying it to give out. Hope I didn’t tempt anyone else.

8. Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman says:

I try to say “no way” from the start by not buying Halloween candy. (That’s easy for me to say because I live in an apartment and don’t risk getting my house egged for not handing out candy.) But when my husband inevitably comes home with some I let myself have some. It’s a holiday after all. A few mini candies won’t kill me if I go back to normal eating the next day.

9. Desert Agave says:

I didn’t start this healthy living journey until a couple weeks after Halloween last year. So, this is my first Halloween while trying to work out and eat right. Last year I ate candy for days and days. I remember eating it for breakfast, along with plenty of coffee for four or five days straight. Not good. This year, honestly, I think I’m going to avoid the candy entirely. I figure I already ate this year’s share last year. Maybe next year I’ll feel ready to practice moderation instead.

10. Jane says:

We no longer have large number of trick and treaters coming to our door like we did when our kids were young. So my husband buys the candy–we put it in a large bowl on our steps with a note to “take a piece”–and then we leave for our grandkids’ halloween celebrations 80 miles away.

If there is candy left when we get home, I tell my husband to throw it out or take it to work. He hates to “waste” anything, so he hides it and forgets it. I once found Halloween candy in the trunk of his car (it had to be at least 2 years old). It was melted and stuck to the wrappers, but in my chocolate obsessed state, I actually thought about eating it–but I didn’t. That was a wake-up call for me–even entertaining such thoughts. I guess I have come further than I think, and I’m grateful for that. I’m no longer afraid of Halloween–ghosts, goblins, or CANDY.

11. Chris says:

Right now? Not buying them or keeping them at home. If they show up in a bowl at work, there are people around and I never like to be seen going there more than twice, so it will be ok. Fortunately, the bowl is a distance away from my office and I may even forget it’s there.

12. Rapunzel says:

Like Diane, Halloween (Samhain) is a sacred holiday for my family as well. While we do enjoy the “secular” part of it with costumes, trick-or-treat, etc. we also honor our deceased with a special dinner, have an altar set up for them, etc.

So, we have a big bucket of candy at the front door but I haven’t even been tempted. I need to stay 100% on track right now but look forward to the day when I can enjoy a little treat..in moderation.

13. Tami says:

I only eat the good stuff, really good quality dark chocolate when I can sit down and enjoy it and never on an empty tummy.

I too read Kessler’s book and it explained so much to me! when you eat healthy good food it reduces cravings for sugar and it is so much easier to continue to eat healthy. I wish I had known that a long time ago. It changes everything!

14. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

There was a time in my life when I gave myself “permission” to eat “whatever” on “special occasions” and it got me in lots of trouble. Now, I choose my “little treats” very carefully and always factor them into what I ate that day/week. I think it’s really about balancing it all out. So if I eat mostly fruits, veggies, and some protein all day, it’s okay to have a little ice cream once in a while if I really want it. But I don’t eat candy or cookies anymore just because it’s the holidays…

15. Lisa says:

I usually don’t feel too guilty eating the “fun size” candy bars. They are small and lower in calories than regular candy bars and if I resist the temptation to eat ALL OF THE THEM I’m usually ok. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Karen says:

Oh no, this is one more food that I can’t handle right now in moderation. So my goal for this weekend is zip, zero, nada. Someday I may be able to indulge sparingly, but not yet. And I have had Halloween candy on my brain all week!

Well…… tomorrow I will be talking about my fav Halloween candy corn on my blog.. can we say portion control! ๐Ÿ™‚

If we all ate everything we wanted & as much as we wanted, come January, well, not a pretty site. I an able to say NO to things & I practice portion control & planning… It is not that I don’t eat anything but I am mindful of what I put in my mouth & how it will effect my bod & how my clothes fit. ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Sunny says:

Most days, I can handle tiny amounts. In fact, it’s almost a given that 100 calories a day (less than 10%) will come from Hershey nuggets. ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. jessey says:

I am never quite sure how I am going to react – I have 4 unopened bags in our basement that do contain candy I like – they have been there 2 weeks untouched. But once open it could be quite bad. So I have told myself that I am going to write down my food this week so I am forced to write down each fun-size bar I do eat. I won’t say I won’t have any, but I want to keep it to a minimum. My 25 lb weight at WW is only .6 lbs away….

20. Barry Hughes says:

I’ve been really good thru this Halloween so far. I have only had a couple of the Tootsie Roll suckers and two small butter cups. Luckily I ran out of candy on Trick or Treat night so there is nothing left in the house to cause me to cheat.

21. Fran says:

We don’t celebrate Halloween. But as far as candy is concerned I prefer to say no because I can’t handle a little bit, I eat everything once I get started.

“It took time to break my taste buds and my mind from feeling the โ€œneedโ€ for candy.” is something I struggle with.

Depending on the day sometimes I know I can handle just one treat, and some days I’m learning it is better to have none at all. ๐Ÿ™‚