Turkey Day 5K

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day! We had a great day, which started out with my oldest three kids and I running/walking a 5K. They have been training for a few months, as none of them had ever run anything in their entire life! I have been walking as usual, but not doing a lot of running because of my knee.

I was hesitant to run it – but decided I could just do the walk/jog intervals and not worry about my time.

We left the house at 7:15 and got to the race site. There were about 500 people who ran the race, and we started off in the back as we were definitely not trying to “do a sub-20 minute 5K” as other people we met were. (Who can do that??!)

The race started and my kids left me behind. But it was okay, because I almost caught up with them and ended up finishing about 50 seconds after they did. The first mile was fine, and I jogged the whole way. Between mile one and two, I jogged the flats and walked the hills. Mile three – I was tired, but I ran the entire thing except for one gigantic, enormous hill.

I finished at 36:10, a time which was slower than I did last year, but still decent considering how much I walked. The best part of the race was seeing the look on my kids’ faces as they turned around and saw me so close to them! (I think they thought I’d be 10 minutes behind them!)

Here’s two pictures of us after we finished the race. I was so happy to do something physically active with my kids.

Did any of you do anything active yesterday? By the way,  I apologize for not getting to your blogs the other day, but will visit today! Take care, Diane

17 thoughts on “Turkey Day 5K

1. Fran says:

It’s so fun to see all over blogland how every has been active yesterday. I love it that you and your children did this together, what a great way to start Thanksgiving.

Great photo’s!

2. Sharon says:

Loved hearing about the Turkey Trot and especially the pictures. I planned to take a walk yesterday afternoon, but company stayed longer than expected (which was a good thing!) so didn’t get it done. I’ll be hiking tomorrow and that will make up for it!

3. Jane says:

What a wonderful way to start your Thanksgiving Day. Making physical activity a priority on a day when “food is everything” speaks volumes about where you’re at in terms of health and fitness. I really appreciate all that you share in your blog. It has been extremely helpful to me and so many others. Thanks, Diane.

What fun! So good to see your children and you participating in a road race together. My son was out of town yesterday maybe next year. I did get out and walk nothing major and my weight is up 3 pounds from stress eating…time to rein it in.

I did not do anything active other than being on my feet in the kitchen until about 5:00 pm.

How fun for you to be able to do a race with your kids! I’ll have to add that to my list of things to do when mine get a little older. 🙂

Have a great weekend, Diane!

being under 20 minutes is standard for the running world. I agree – not many accomplish it – but that is what the ‘push runners’ strive to do.

I love that you do this as a family.

And at our parish’s 5K, there are a LOT of kids in the 8-12 age bracket who compete. And a lot of people with kids in strollers, fast walking it. So this really is something whole extended families can do.

7. Amy says:

Congratulations on running the 5K with your kids! I hope someday my boys will want to run with me, too. My oldest just recently started running but he always wants to go on his own.