Keeping Your Goals In Mind

I know it’s the week before Christmas and it’s a busy time of year. These past couple of weeks have been a whirlwind of musical events, out-of-town company, holiday functions and quite a bit of cooking. As we countdown to the actual holiday, it can be really easy to just throw our hands up in the air and say, “It’s too hard to keep eating healthy food and watch my weight.”

No one is immune to the potential for holiday weight gain. I still have to be very diligent in watching my food portions and choices because if I don’t keep my goal of “never going back” in front of me, then I could easily begin to regain weight. When I bake cookies or dip pretzels in chocolate, I decide before I begin if I will have any, and then how many I’m going to eat. This often helps me because I know I can have one if I want it, and I understand in advance how many I’m going to allow myself.

Another way I avoid just eating whatever I want for a few days in a row is to remember that those cookies or cakes not only have the potential to add unwanted pounds, but they also contain ingredients that are not very healthy for me. Butter, chocolate and salty pretzels are okay every once in a while, but certainly not day after day after day.

It isn’t always easy to keep your goals in front of you when cookies and candies are beckoning you to indulge, give in and forget what you’ve been working for all these months or even years. Although I don’t think that losing weight needs to be your goal during this coming week, I do think that continued diligence is important.

As you get closer to, and eventually reach your goal weight, you will have years and years ahead of you to practice maintenance. What better time to begin preparing than right now for the hundreds of holidays that will occur throughout your life?

Focusing on your health, fitness and scale goals during these next few days can really help you make wise decisions when faced with the abundance of food.

How will you keep your focus over the next few days?  Diane

18 thoughts on “Keeping Your Goals In Mind

1. Sheri says:

You bring up a great point Diane “continued diligence” for me is the key. I might mess up one day (like yesterday), but today is a new day!

Maintenance is tough, so, so very tough, but it can be done.

2. blackhuff says:

I completely agree with you that once in a while, a pretzel, butter or chocolate is okay.
    I will keep my focus this coming week by not having anything which might make me lose my focus, in the house for example this year there will not be an abundance of chips, cookies or sweets in my house. Instead there will be only healthy things what we normally have to eat. Me and family have adapt to this, so why change this just over an holiday?

3. Waisting Time says:

Very timely… this weekend was filled with celebrations and food. It is easy for me to snowball once I “give in” to the tempting food. I need to remember that I really do feel like crap when I eat crap.

Diane, I am just like you.. I plan ahead for what I am willing & want to splurge on. Nothing like feeling like crap from eating too much & I hate that feeling. Because I allow myself things here & there all year long, I don’t feel the need to pig out at holidays. I also feel staying diligent is key. I think people feel they can give here & there after they lose weight but a little of this & that over multiple days or months & the weight starts to come back on.

Enjoy but be mindful, as you say Diane!

5. Andrea@WellnessNotes says:

Like you, I now have a plan when it comes to food during the holidays. I try to only eat foods I really want, foods that are “worth” it. I also remind myself that the first bites taste the best, and that I don’t need to keep eating…

Beautiful photo of your boys! Happy Holidays!

6. Cilla says:

I regained all my weight the first time around because I lost focus, stopped tracking and slid rapidly down the slippery slope of self-permissiveness, so your post resonates loudly with me. Maintenance is more challenging than losing weight, for me.

I like your idea of assigning treats to yourself, and I do much the same thing when making indulgent treats 🙂 I’m also going to continue keeping my food diary, which gives me good perspective on how I’m doing.

7. BlessedMama says:

I think that’s a great idea to decide beforehand how many you will allow yourself. I either deny myself completely, then I break down and eat too much. Or, I try to decide while I’m eating, which is no good, because one more sounds just fine at the time. Then one more turns into six more. I am definitely incorporating your plan into mine! Thank you! So simple, yet so effective.

8. Lisa says:

I’m pretty happy with how I’ve been doing this holiday season. I haven’t let the holidays or crazy schedules interfere with my workout and that helps!

9. Yum Yucky says:

Today I actually stepped back from some food (after eating my fair share) because I reminded myself how the sugar makes me feel after the eating extravaganza is over. It’s good to talk to myself sometimes. 😉

10. Tami says:

I only eat the things I love. I plan in advance what that will be and how much. Plus my clothes are very fitted and there is no room to gain more than a pound or so. When the clothes get snug I know I have gone to far.

As someone who has just stepped back from losing my focus for a week or two, I can say this is very wise advice! Knowing what I will allow myself to eat ahead of time thwarts most of my problems. It is when I don’t write stuff down that I get into trouble.

12. Quix says:

The key for me is if something looks irresistible to just have a little, and to give myself permission to indulge a bit on special occasions. I know I can have a cookie or a few spiced nuts and be ok as long as I eat healthy otherwise and stick to the gym.

So far I’ve even taken off a little weight this month and hope to continue through the new year.

13. John says:

In a way I’m lucky in that the holiday temptations for me are only 2 days usually…Christmas eve and Christmas. So it’s not usually a big killer. I’m actually looking forward to it this year as being around family I think will help me as I’ve been eating terrible lately. Having some eyes watching hopefully will help get me back on track!