Life Goals Versus New Year’s Resolutions

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I hope that you all had a great New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day celebration. We sure did! We usually stay home as a family, have a nice meal together, and get a little bit silly playing games and talking about the fun things that happened throughout the year. This year was no exception.

After the little boys go to bed, the older kids, John and I watch “It’s a Wonderful Life.” What a great movie!

One thing I’ve never really done is make a list of New Year’s Resolutions. Why? I think for me, I never seemed to get any of them accomplished and then I’d feel like a total loser. So I don’t make any. Instead of making a list of New Year’s resolutions I update my list of life goals.

Life goals are goals that John and I have set for ourselves as a family, and individual goals that we have personally. I don’t share my individual goals with him though, because they are a secret! πŸ™‚

Having life goals has helped me keep a general focus for my life. For example, getting out of debt is one of my life goals, and by keeping that goal in mind, I’m able to curb my spending to try and reach that very elusive goal. Another life goal I have is to maintain my weight. (Aren’t you surprised??!)

And to keep that life goal achieved I have to make sure that I always keep that goal in my mind. I don’t think about my weight all the time, or obsess over every piece of food that goes in my mouth, but I do always have that goal in the back of my mind.

And because I never let that goal slip out of my memory completely, I find it easier to make the choices that help me achieve that goal. For example, when I’m at a restaurant and everyone is ordering desserts, I find it easy to resist because I know that that Death by Chocolate cake won’t help me continue to meet that Life Goal.

Or, if it is cold and wet outside, it may be easier to stay inside snuggled in my bed, but that won’t help me achieve my life goal of weight maintenance either – so I haul myself out of bed and go exercise.

I guess what that particular life goal comes down to for me is desire. I desire to meet that life goal more than I desire to eat junk or not exercise. But in addition to desire, there is action.

When I was morbidly obese I had the desire to lose weight and that would have been one of my Life Goals, but the desire wasn’t enough. I had to get to the point where I was really willing to act on my desire to reach that goal of losing over 150 pounds.

Desire + Action = Results

That’s what I’ve learned throughout my journey of life. Sure I want to get out of debt completely, but I don’t always act like it, and will buy things because I want them right then rather than waiting for them. That’s desire without action.

How do you put your life goals into motion? Do you have the desire, but like me with money, sometimes have trouble with the action part?

What can you do to meet your life goals this year? Diane

On another note – Jeff from Dieting Smarter asked several weight loss veterans their ideas on weight loss and resolutions. Be sure to check out some advice from seasoned weight loss and fitness folks!

21 thoughts on “Life Goals Versus New Year’s Resolutions

1. Emergefit says:

We are faced with some 30,000 choices every day. In fractal seconds, with each choice we make a signal goes off in our head: “This is good for me and I’m going to do it.” Or, “This is not good for me and I’m going to do it anyway.”

How we succeed at anything is simply a matter of how tuned in we are to this process.

Like you Diane, no resolutions but things I want to get done.. yes, the action is hard at times.. especially when other stresses hinder your mind but the key is to keep trying or foe me.. πŸ™‚

Happy new year!

3. Marie@feedingfive says:

I am not big on resolutions but I am trying to do 2 things in the new year daily. Drink a big glass of water upon waking up and saying a morning prayer, everyday. I am not going to give up if I miss a day though. I feel I am on a good path and I just want to keep going in a good direction.

The new site design is so spiffy, I love it!

I keep most of my goals, short and long term, private from my husband as well. I don’t actually know why, other than that I seem to do a better job with them if they’re just in the back of my brain, rather than in his, too (his brain is full enough!). We do have goals as a couple, but those tend to be longer term. No real resolutions from me, either, for all the reasons you mentioned.

5. Maren says:

Hey, great new look for your page! Love it πŸ™‚
    For me, reaching my goals is all about dividing them into smaller goals. I’m not thinking about the 100lb I need to lose, I do it pound by pound!

6. uma says:

Your blog has been inspiring me as long as I have started my weight loss journey. Even though I still have a long way to go to reach my goal, your blog has been a consistent companion all these years.

This post was especially beautiful, it came with the the perfect note, at the perfect time. Thanks for being you! You’re an inspiration! πŸ™‚

Much Love & Respect! Happy New Year! God Bless!

7. Lori Lynn says:

Love the new look! I used to make Resolutions, but haven’t made them for several years. I did buy a Fitbit to track my activity level/calories to try to have more “balance/moderation” in my life. I also want to run a 5K in 2012.

8. Jill says:

Happy New Year! I love this post! I love your formula! I love your “Life Goals”! I love that I found your blog this year! I love how you inspire me and so many others! I love sharing my journey with you!

9. Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate says:

I think setting life goals for yourself and regularly updating them is a great idea. I think knowing what you want and discovering ways to achieve those goals is a great way to make them a reality. This year, I’m continuing to focus on living as healthy as I can. Incorporating fiber-rich foods into my day, getting enough exercise and drinking plenty of water are all on my “must do’ list for 2012.

10. La. says:

Oh my goodness a new look!!!! Q and I made financial goals for 2011 and it was awesome when we MADE THEM as a couple. People have already started asking me my post pregnancy workout ideas and wonder if I want to lose so I can “be more like my husband.” Yah, of course I don’t want to be embarrassed, but I want to lose weight FOR ME! And THEN my family. I made a list of new habits I want to incorporate into my life in 2012. I can’t expect to get different results doing the same thing!

11. Amy says:

Diane, I love the new look to your blog! And wow – a book in April! Congratulations!!!

Personally I love the opportunity that we get each year in January to make a fresh start. I always have ongoing goals throughout the year, but something about the beginning of the year is especially insipiring. This year my biggest goal is to permanently lose those last 20 pounds that just don’t seem to want to move!