The Tired Excuse that Finally Got Kicked to the Curb

I was remembering back to my 300 pound days. And unfortunately I wasn’t having fond memories of those days, but rather pathetic memories. I was a young woman with young children and my overriding emotion during those 10 years of obesity was tired.

I was always tired. If John were here right now he’d affirm that statement. I always complained about exhaustion and lack of energy – always.

I was too tired to do any of these things:

♦Go shopping

♦Play with the kids

♦Cook dinner

♦Exercise (HA!)

♦Take a trip to the Nature Museum where I had to walk for any length of time.

♦Ride in the car for longer than 30 minutes.

♦Stand up for any length of time (like waiting in lines)

I was pathetic. And as the years went by and I became more and more obese my feelings of tiredness increased rapidly. I could almost feel getting more tired as the days went by. I’d get up as late as I could get away with in the morning, put on my robe, and feed the kids breakfast. Then I might get dressed or I might lounge around in my PJ’s and robe for a while longer.

I’d shuffle from the kitchen back to the couch, sitting down in both locations to rest and eat. When the kids napped after lunch I’d nap too – only I’d nap after finishing off the box of Cheese Nips that I had just opened that morning. When the kids and I awoke I’d be tired again and just sit and watch them play.

Such was my life. I never associated my weight with my energy level. I would have told you that I was just a tired person in general. But I had never been a tired person before I gained over 100 pounds so I don’t know why I should have all of a sudden developed the tiredness syndrome.

The Weight Was the Problem for Me

Of course the weight was 99% of my problem. Yes, I had small children. Yes, they were busy. But the tiredness and lack of energy were primarily due to my weight and not the children. It’s hard to move around 300 pounds. It takes a lot of effort to keep 300 pounds balanced on two legs for any length of time. No wonder I was tired.

Tiredness was an excuse for me to keep sitting in one place. But thankfully, I did get off the couch and try to move my bulk around. And it wasn’t easy.

Those first months of dieting were an eye opening experience. I hadn’t realized or acknowledged how far away from fitness I had gotten. Those first walks I took – now they made me tired! I came home sweaty (Florida), tired, and hot. But I also came home with a glimmer of internal energy that I hadn’t experienced in a long time.

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

That internal energy was a little spark telling me that I was moving in the right direction. For once in ten years I was making choices that were positive and helpful rather than negative and hurtful. That little spark stayed lit as long as I kept it moving.

Surprisingly to me, I did keep that internal spark alive and kept fanning the flames until I reached my fitness and weight goals. I am still amazed at how quickly my body changed, and how fast my level of fitness improved. Even when I was still 250 pounds, the amount of energy and “get up and go” I had was a far cry from my energy level at 300 pounds. And the energy level increased the more weight I lost and the more fit I became. It was like a miracle.

I hope that if you relate to my life before I lost the weight you are on your own path to finding that internal spark. It’s there in all of us, and will extinguish that “I’m Tired” excuse.

How did you find that internal motivation to improve you energy level and get healthier?  Diane

Photo Credit

41 thoughts on “The Tired Excuse that Finally Got Kicked to the Curb

1. Diandra says:

My whole family has been “chubby”, and I was no exception. And since most of us are reasonably healthy, I never thought about changing that – until I started working as a medical translator for the embassy of a really wealthy Arab country, with lots of obese people. I read up close (and had to research) all the things they went through because of their lifestyle, from orthopedic problems to diabetes to the 600lbs guy aged 23 with the rotting thigh who hadn’t gotten out of bed since he was eighteen. You bet that got me thinking. I started eating healthier, eating less and took up running, swimming and strength training. Haven’t felt better in my entire life.

2. Julie Lost and Found says:

I just eventually got truly sick and tired of being sick and tired. Literally. I just decided enough is enough. I am still tired all the time, but not as bad as I was 25 lbs ago, and don’t feel sick like I did. I am sure my energy level will only continue to increase.

3. Jane at Keeping the Pounds off says:

At 385 pounds I had resigned myself to a limited life and the idea that I would start tomorrow – which was always tomorrow. Then I stopped being selfish about how it was all about me and looked at my family. My husband had slowly put on 50 pounds. Our daughters were both overweight and I could see they were eating ‘just like mommy’. I could handle that I was killing myself with food – I could not bare the guilt that I was contributing to the cause of my husband’s and daughters’ early deaths. Everything had to change, starting with me.
    Now, at 168 pounds I have to worry about retirement funds because I will live long enough to collect them. I am involved in planning for the future because I will have one. My husband lost the 50 pounds and our daughters, now adults, are making their own way now, with a healthier home base behind them.

Jane~

I just got tired of being fat back in 1997 plus my bad back kept having problems that I knew my weight wasn’t helping. It comes down to making a deceision to change and breaking that change down to baby steps is what worked for me.

5. jen says:

Hi Diane,

I have been reading your posts for a while now and I love your story.
    Today’s post has struck a HUGE chord for me. I woke up today complaining about being tired. Work and physical therapy and mom duties just feel like too much for me, I AM TIRED. I was blaming everything this morning….not the weight I have recently gained back, but everything else. I am not working out regularly and I am gaining weight. I know some of this is injury-related, but I know a lot of the weight gain is just eating the wrong stuff and too much of it! I have fallen back into old habits and it has made me tired.
    Thanks for this post!
    I needed it today!
    xoxo, jen

• Diane Carbonell says:

Thank you Jen for your very kind words. I’m so glad that you are willing and ready to make a change. The old habits are hard to get rid of, but it sounds like you are doing your best to make those positive changes that need to happen. Here’s to greater energy and less tiredness!!

6. Marie@feedingfive says:

I’ve never had a weight problem, but I relate to the ‘fire’ being lit. Working out is hard but something I need to do everyday. Sometimes when I try a new workout or lift weights I am sore the next day and it feels so good. When we get sore Glenn and I always say ‘it hurts so good’. Because it feels good to know you’ve pushed your body.

7. Karen@WaistingTime says:

I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired! I wish I had a great answer for motivation. But I can share that without a doubt when I eat well I feel so much better and less inclined to take a nap:)

Oh man, I remember the tired feeling well. Constant fatigue, everything seeming like too much effort or bother… I don’t miss that one bit!

9. Shannon says:

I love hearing about your before moments. Because it shows that changes CAN happen and there is light at the end of the tunnel. Once you hit that energy mark from diet and exercise it feels so good! In just this past 2 weeks with my son he is a whole new kid and it is amazing to see the difference.

10. Meg says:

I got sick and tired of being a spectator in the world, instead of a participant. And as I started learning to exercise, I started gaining energy, which made me stand up straighter, smile more, feel better. After the first 20 pounds, I really noticed a difference.

I’m amazed at how I am LESS exhausted these days, but MORE likely to get a good night’s sleep.

It’s an awesome feeling. 60 down, 30 to go!

• Diane Carbonell says:

The term spectator is such an appropriate one because that is what many overweight people become. I know I did. Congratulations on losing 60 pounds – that’s a great accomplishment.

11. La. says:

Every day is currently exhausting…as well you know! I’m so nervous about breast feeding and new habits with a second baby. I don’t want to use excuses yet at the same time respect my body for what it is going through! YET, what a great experience! I need to remember that when I feel HUNGRY and a BOTTOMLESS pit while breast feeding I am most likely thirsty! Oy, you are so encouraging! I LOVE to read your thoughts.

When my knees were hurting climbing stairs and I was only 32 years old I knew I had to do something about my weight. It was very much an eye opener. Soon after that I began to think about things like Type II Diabetes running in the women in my family and how I wanted to keep that from happening to me.

Now to get motivated to workout I remind myself how awesome I feel after a hard workout where I challenged myself, or how strong I feel after sticking to my plan in a public setting.

I’m often tired! It’s just that I’ve done a lot to get to tired 🙂
    Makes sleeping so much better!

There are people in my life that I wish would read your posts. Unfortunately, they are still in the “pre-contemplative” phase, and probably always will be 🙁

14. Lisa says:

I was tired all the time too. Honestly, losing weight and exercising on a regular basis gave me TONS of energy! I have so much energy now it’s hard to sit still for even a movie!

15. Siobhan says:

I never have liked taking naps and only do it when I really sick … I think I’m afraid somebody will have fun without me. 🙂 That said, I do find when I’m eating well that I have SO much more energy than when I have sugar/grains.

• Diane Carbonell says:

Ha to the naps! My kids wouldn’t know what to think if I said, “I’m going to take a nap!” Glad you have so much more energy now that you know what foods fuel you properly.

16. Carrilu says:

This one strikes a chord today! Being 33 weeks pregnant, I can barely keep my eyes open or move. I love love love my walks but don’t always get to take them if the little ones don’t cooperate. I will attempt a walking DVD again today and hopefully get to finish it. There is nothing like walking outside though. Between the stress relief and the temporary leg pain, sciatica and all the rest, its easy to remember how good it feels but getting the opportunity (before I’m too tired at night) is the trick these days. Maybe after baby, I can get moving earlier before anyone is up!

• Diane Carbonell says:

It does disappear. Isn’t that fantastic that just those simple changes really can make a difference. And when we have more energy we are often more likely to workout because we feel good!

17. Roz@weightingfor50 says:

I love your story Diane. You are such a fit role model, its so hard to believe you were the same person inside at 300 lbs. I’m so looking forward to your book so I can read more. Have a great Friday.