Believe It Or Not, It Still Fits After 25 Years

When I got married 25 years ago tomorrow, I was like many brides. I was excited to move into a new chapter of my life, couldn’t wait to be a “wife” and was looking forward to spending the rest of my life with the love of my life, John.

Here’s a picture of me on our wedding day all those years ago.

Although we’ve had our shares of normal ups and downs like any married couple, these years of marriage have been a blessing beyond words.

John stuck with me through my years of obesity, when my wedding dress wouldn’t have even come close to fitting, stuck with me when my life was turned upside down by an adoption reunion, and has been there through sad and happy times.

My grandmother proudly told me that she could always fit into her wedding dress, except for her three pregnancies. That always stuck with me, and every year I unpack my dress and try it on. Well, except for the pregnancy years, and those 10 years of obesity.

This year was no exception, and I’m proud to say that the dress still fits. It fits a little differently now because I’ve aged and given birth/nursed seven kids, but it fits nonetheless. I have to admit I felt a little silly letting them take my picture. John wanted me to put on the veil, but I said, “No way.”

Being able to fit into my dress is one of my continuing goals for myself, and I’m not giving it up!

Do you have a favorite dress or outfit you want to be able to fit into for years to come? Diane

60 thoughts on “Believe It Or Not, It Still Fits After 25 Years

1. blackhuff says:

Wow Dianne! You still look wonderful in that dress.
    25 years is a long time – congrats to the both of you for being married for so long.
    You’ve come so far – losing the weight and now fitting into your wedding dress. You should be proud of yourself.

2. Amy says:

Good for you Diane! You look lovely!
    I can also now fit into my wedding dress – there was a period of about ten years where I couldn’t – having kids, not exercising and eating too much did me in! Thank God I finally saw the light… πŸ˜‰

Wow! Congratulations on being married for 25 years! You look great in your wedding dress. Any big plans like a renewal of vows?

And to answer your question nope I don’t have any clothes currently that I want to be able to wear for years and years. I just look forward to knowing that I still fit into my clothes from last year at the current season actually my shorts are getting way to big on me as I’ve recently been losing the last 10 pounds…

4. Sarah says:

Wow, Diane! You look fantastic. Congratulations on 25 years. πŸ™‚

I love the idea of always being able to fit into your wedding dress excluding pregnancies. Perhaps one day when I get married, I’ll keep this post in mind.

5. Alissa says:

You look beautiful- then and now! πŸ™‚

My story is a little different! I posted this past October about trying on my wedding dress and it is now HUGE on me. Which is such a victory!

6. Sharon says:

Happy Anniversary, Diane! And wow, you were beautiful then just as you are beautiful now.

I am happy to say that my wedding dress is a little big on me now, but there were many years when it wouldn’t have fit at all. The best news is that it was actually taken up just a bit a few years after my wedding because my sister wanted to wear it. So, it’s smaller than it was and I can STILL wear it! Yippee! And BTW, that was 34 /12 years ago. We’ll celebrate our 35th in June!

7. Marie@feedingfive says:

You know what’s even better than you in your wedding dress? The true happiness on your face from all of the knowledge you’ve gained and the assurance of knowing you’ve equipped yourself with skills that you’ll be able to fit into it for years to come.

8. Babbalou says:

Congratulations! And what a lovely dress, you look fabulous in both pictures. I wonder if one of your daughters will end up wearing that dress one day? We celebrated our 27th anniversary last week and I agree with you that a good marriage is one of the greatest blessings in life (as are the children).

9. Colleen says:

You and our hubby look great together! Congratulations on the “fit” as well as the many years of marriage. Hubby and I celebrated 25 years this past year. I have lost 12 pounds in the last couple of months and am continuing on with healthy choices. Maybe I will try on my wedding dress when I reach my goal. Through your blog, you continue to inspire me. Thank you and God bless your family.

10. Jane at Keeping the Pounds off says:

First: You are STILL a beautiful bride – in fact, more beautiful now – because now you are a bride with your eyes open and stars are into in the way of your view. So you so inspiring.

Second: Congrats on your 25th anniversary!

Third: NO, I never want to fit into my wedding dress again ever, ever, ever!
    You see, I was 60 pounds heavier on my wedding day 28+ years ago. For many years my dress did not fit because I was much too big. Then I could get into it again when I passed my wedding day weight on the way down to where I am today. Now I can swim inside it. Now it is a reminder of how big I was on my wedding day so I no longer play bride in that dress.

11. Anne says:

Wow Diane………………..you look great in that dress! I have some fabulous clothes that are patiently waiting for me to wear. They are presently three sizes too small. But that is my goal. My focus. I will succeed. I’ve just completed my first month on the Weight Watchers lifestyle and am 5 pounds lighter. Of course I want a faster weight loss, but I know from experience that a slower weight loss is a longer weight loss.

Mylifeintheweightingroom.blogspot.com

What a great goal to keep working on, such a sentimental tradition. πŸ™‚ Happy anniversary!

I haven’t tried on my dress since I was married, but I still have it…hhmmm…I wonder…

13. E. Jane says:

Beautiful photos, beautiful dress, and beautiful bride and wife! What a great idea. Someday I may have to get mine out, but quite a few pounds down the road! I loved the photos!

14. Amanda says:

That’s a beautiful dress, and you really don’t look much changed except for the hairstyle — way to age πŸ˜€

Happy almost anniversary to you both!

15. Lisa says:

That is too funny!!!! And adorable to see you and the hubby!

I have a dress that I adored and it no longer fit, I kept it though. Then somehow I missed that small window when I was losing weight where the dress fit. Now it’s too big!!

16. MamaBearJune says:

Look at that teeny waist! πŸ™‚ Thankfully, my wedding dress would be way too big. We were in Japan, it wasn’t a traditional gown, just a dressy pink satin covered with pink lace. We celebrate 25 years in September. Congrats!!

17. John - Diane's Husband says:

Diane, It has been a wonderful 25 years! You look as beautiful today as you did back then. I am very proud of you. Love, John

18. KCLAnderson (Karen) says:

Happy 25th Anniversary to one very happily married woman from another!

My wedding dress does not fit at all…it’s way too big! The last time I tried it on, it practically fell off, even though it was zipped πŸ™‚

19. LovesCatsinCA says:

Congratulations, Diane on your silver anniversary, and on still being beautiful AND fitting into that fabulous dress!

Seven kids would make most people, even without ever being obese, not fit their wedding dress…

I don’t have non-feline children, but other than a brief uptick in my weight which is coming back off now, and knowing that the same number on the scales does NOT mean the same body shape and size as many moons ago and I’m probably never going to have a 23 inch waist again, I’ve managed to get back my college weight.

And just as you’re determined to fit that dress for the rest of your life, I’m planning to stay at what I weighed at 19, and stay active. Which was more than 25 years ago! Here’s to healthy bodies, and the support of family, friends, and the loves of our lives…

• Diane Carbonell says:

Thank you so much! I think it’s so important to have those short and long-term goals for ourselves. You are a great example of showing that it is possible to stay fit and trim past our teen years!

20. Sandi says:

Happy anniversary! You look beautiful in your dress. We just celebrated our 27th anniversary on the 2nd -groundhogs day πŸ™‚ and i know my dress would fit. It is in a sealed box to preserve it so I’ve never tried it on since the day. Kind of silly since I have sons, no daughters to pass it on to. Maybe I should pull it out and try it on for my husband. I would not have fit in it for 24 years, but by our 25th anniversary I had finally lost the weight. What a great idea to have the goal of fitting into it every anniversary.

On a trip home one time I managed to fit into my Boy Scouts Uniform! My brother out did me by pulling out his old Cub Scouts uniform, lol! We were nowheres as lovely and handsome as you and John!!

22. Deniz says:

Wow! You looked lovely 25 years ago and you look stunning today. What I noticed even more than the dress though, was the same beautiful smile, then and now. A very Happy Anniversary to you both, and many more happy years to come.

As to a favourite dress or so forth, nothing I wore when I was younger is still in my wardrobe, but I sometimes wonder if I could ‘maybe’ fit into a dress I had when I was about nineteen years old. It was layered pale grey chiffon with pink roses and so pretty. I always though it looked so grown up and special. Hmmm, wonder what happened to it?

I love seeing your dress and you and your husband together – marriage is such a beautiful thing and you both look SO happy!

My wedding dress literally falls off if I don’t hold it on my shoulders. I am at least forty pounds (more like fifty pounds, but it’s a guess since I didn’t know my wedding weight) lighter than I was when I got married, so the entire thing needs alterations if I’m going to wear it seriously ;). I do have a ‘first goal’ dress that fit me in high school and fits now, but my baby belly isn’t flattering in it. Another ten pounds and it will be wearable again, and since the silhouette is classic I can actually wear it around!

24. Stacy says:

You look wonderful in it…and happy anniversary! πŸ™‚

I haven’t tried on my wedding dress. I should do that. I think it will still fit. I tried on a dress I made in 9th grade and that still fits, so I assume my wedding dress would too!