What I Gave Up To Lose 150 Pounds

My kids would tell you that I hate to lose things. If I misplace my keys or notebook I will enlist (coerce) the whole family to help me find my lost item. It weighs on my mind until I find it.

Losing 150 pounds was different though. I did not hate to lose those pounds, but instead was thrilled to see them go away and even more thrilled that they have not returned after 14 years. Sometimes people ask me if I feel like I had to give up too much to lose that much weight. I always tell them “No, I don’t feel like I had to give anything of value up at all. Instead I opened the doors of my life to new adventures and more positive feelings.”

However, there were some things that I did have to give up in order to lose 150 pounds.

♦ I gave up dieting forever.

♦ I gave up lugging around an extra person on my 5’10” frame.

♦ I gave up not fitting in chairs with arms.

♦ I gave up seat belt extenders.

♦ I said goodbye to plus-sized clothes like these.

♦ I gave up feeling winded after walking for a short time.

♦ I gave up brownies for breakfast.

♦ I gave up the psychological distress of being morbidly obese.

♦ I gave up high blood pressure and joint pain.

I could honestly go on and on and on, but I’ll just stop right here before we all get bored! My point of this Friday’s post is the things I gave up to lose all that weight were things I gladly gave up. I did not give up anything I wish I had back.

The things I gained were far more important than the things I lost.

What are you happy to give up? Do you think you will miss anything?  Diane

27 thoughts on “What I Gave Up To Lose 150 Pounds

1. blackhuff says:

I too gave up a lot in achieving my weight loss but I do not regret giving those things. I’m happy about all the things I did give up by losing the weight because losing the weight weighs out the fact that I feel great these days.

I agree that what you have to give up bad habit wise in order to get to a healthy weight is well worth it! I LOVE knowing that those 44 pounds I removed are NEVER coming back!!! I also love knowing my clothes will fit at the change of the seasons every year! Plus its wonderful to feel like a normal person that nobody stares at, and not feeling “fat” is priceless.
    Congrats on losing and maintaining the 150 pound loss all these years. You lost a person my size:)

3. Alana Jo @ Not.So.Big.Jo says:

Diane, thank you so much for coming by my blog and for commenting on my post. I really appreciate your kind words. Your journey is amazing! I’ll be around to follow from here on out. Have a fantastic day!

Diane, I’m sure you understand this was a great post for me to read today. : )

I am happy to give up the aching knees I started experiencing at my high weight, and the uncomfortable feeling when I would sit and have to rest my arms on my bulging stomach.

I know when I’m on track and eating well I am glad to give up the feelings of being out of control and helpless with regards to food. That’s something I have to remind myself of before every choice I face to eat right or give in to temptations.

Have a nice weekend, and thanks for your encouraging words!

5. Jill says:

That picture of you and your shirts is FABULOUS!!!!! I love how you listed all the negative things about being overweight. I have not thought about it quite like that before. I gave up depression, migraine and cholesterol medications. I gave up watching from the sidelines. I gave up big tee shirts to cover up my bathing suits in the summer. I gave up feeling badly about myself!!!

6. Josie says:

Thanks for the support on my blog, Diane! I’m truly inspired by your story, and this blog. Giving up the diet mentality is such a mental block for me, but you are living proof that it’s essential.

7. Amy says:

I am totally the same way when I lose things like you describe in the first paragraph – I cannot rest until I find the thing I lost. After reading your opening, I couldn’t help but imagining myself searching desperately through my house for my lost pounds, though – kind of a funny image in my mind!

I remember reading somewhere that saying we want to “lose” weight is counter-productive because normally when we lose things, we really hope to find them back again. I think they recommended saying “releasing” weight or something. Maybe it would be better to say we want to “find” our health or something like that?

8. Lisa says:

I concur with your list!

I gave up plus sized clothes.
    I gave up high blood pressure and diabetes.
    I gave up horrible body pain from just walking!

Goodbye 110 pounds!

9. Kelly Rivers says:

For me, the biggest sacrifice has been cheese. I can remember my love of that food so much, but at the same time I can remember the 100 pounds that it added to my waist line. Do I miss it? Sure, but I will never go down that path again.

10. Caron says:

Great post. I don’t regret giving up no nutrition food and being totally lazy for being healthy at age 64. So far no prescribed medications either and that is a plus. I’ve always wished I was tall like you so I could eat more and weigh more. 🙂

11. 'Drea says:

I love it that you still have your old clothes. I’ve kept a few but there’s one pair of pants that I’ll never get rid of. For some reason, I never thing about what I lost besides the weight, of course, but I do think about how much I gained my losing weight.

Oh yes, I am right there with you! I have given up nothing I miss enough to regain the weight to have it, and that is so key. Health problems, pain, lethargy, social discomfort… Good riddance!

13. Quix says:

Occasionally, I’ll long for the day when I could go into a restaurant, order anything I wanted off the menu, and not think about the calories. It’s a small price to pay though for everything else I’ve gained…

14. Maren says:

There are a lot of things I am happily giving up as we speak. It feels great!

I included your previous post in my Friday Finds Diane!

15. Rebecca Fyfe says:

So true! I lost over 145 lbs and I gave up some of those same things, but what I gained was so much more! Most of all, I gained a confidence in myself and a belief in my ability to achieve my goals in ALL areas of my life.

16. Sharon says:

Like the title of my blog says, I lost some things, but I gained a whole lot more than I lost. Most notably, I lost feeling exhausted and ready to quit after a short hike and gained the energy to hike 13-15 miles. This has given me access to places I’d never have seen otherwise.

17. me says:

I LOVE THIS POST! Partly because I know you have many children. We have five (I’d love another after a bit of weight loss!), and in the past I did feel like I was giving up serving them well while trying to lose weight. It felt selfish. Somehow in the present I’ve found a fit that is actually benefitting ALL of us and can say that no, I’m not giving up anything! I don’t know why I couldn’t strike that balance before… Nursing a little one sometimes can make it more difficult.