Behind the Scenes

When I first got the phone call about appearing on the national television show, the 700 Club, I was immediately excited. And then nervous. And then excited again.

It felt real when they sent me my plane ticket and hotel reservation confirmation numbers. Then I knew I was really going. They did not give me the questions ahead of time, but like I told Vickie in one of my responses to a previous blog post, this is a topic I am pretty comfortable talking about so I was okay with not knowing what the questions were going to be.

When I arrived in Norfolk, Virginia I was met by a security guard from the CBN headquarters, who drove me to the CBN headquarters. I stayed here, at the Founder’s Inn. You can see that I had a great view of the gardens and the lake. Nice.

I spent the evening ironing my red dress, which took forever because the irons in the hotel weren’t the greatest in the world and I was afraid of messing up the dress so I had to iron very slowly. Another reason is that at home I do not iron. Instead, my husband, who is a terrific ironer, always irons anything in the family that needs ironing. All I had to do was mess up one of his dress shirts when we were early married to make that deal. I cook, he irons. Works for us.

The next morning, Molly came and picked me up in the hotel lobby. We went to the studios where I got my makeup done. I had already put on some makeup, but when the makeup artist put me in her chair she said, “You don’t have any makeup on do you?”

I laughed and said, “Yes, I have a lot on.”

She said, “Well, not for television you don’t.”

Here are some pictures from the makeup room and me with her after it was all done.

After hair and makeup, I sat in the green room (which just like at the Dr. Oz show) isn’t really green at all.

The producer went over what I was going to do and then we went to the studio where I practiced the little walk scene several times. Finally I went into the studio where I sat next to Pat Robertson until it was time to go on. Here’s what the studio looks like.

The studio area was very cold because all the lights were very hot. The studio audience had 700 Club blankets they could use in case they got too cold while watching the show. It was very quiet on the set although there were people moving around constantly shifting from one set to the next.

When it was my turn they took me over and I watched while Terry Meeuswen introduced my segment. Then I was up. The time flew by and before I knew it, the interview was over.

I watched the rest of the show back in the green room and then did another interview for the nighttime show with Charlene Israel, who was funny, warm and put me right at ease. That was shot in a different studio, where they do the other news. The room was glassed in and had the big ON AIR signs.

Then I got to have my picture taken with both Pat Robertson and Terry Meeuwsen.

It was a very good experience and I was so happy to have the opportunity to share my story. I’ve received lots and lots of emails from people who saw the show. I hope that as they read through my blog posts they will also be able to gain inspiration from all of you who are “walking the walk” to get to and stay at a healthy weight.

You never know who you will inspire. I always hoped to inspire my family to get healthy for life.

Who do you hope to inspire? Diane

29 thoughts on “Behind the Scenes

1. Sharon says:

Wow, this sounds like a fun experience and you looked great. Laughed out loud at the ironing story. So glad to know there is another hubs out there who irons. After a few experiences early on, I was also forbidden to you the iron any more. Bill does it all. In fact, just last spring when he was in Germany I ruined a pair of gray slacks. Will I never learn??

Hope the book continues to sell well. It is very good!

2. Vickie says:

Looking at all the pics, I think the dress you wore was fine. You look slim and trim in the dress and it was flattering and modern and professional. The color was excellent.

Thinking about the fact that camera adds weight and what you looked like to yourself, i can think of options:

I assume the sweater was to cover bare arms. But that might have meant we didn’t have clear view of your trim lines. So maybe a similar (fitted torso) style (but with sleeves).

Or as you said, something more fitted in the bottom.

I have never tried it, but taking video in outfits might show you how you will look on camera, both walking and seated.

(i left a note for you in my original comment, two posts ago.)

• Diane Carbonell says:

We did do a video run but it was hard to imagine how it would look on television. I think you are right about the sweater – something a tad more fitted probably would have been better.

I watched it live and liked the whole interview very much! I appreciated how well prepared the woman who interviewed you was, and how she was very good at her job. Of course, you were great!! I found you funny, interesting, and charming, while presenting the important information.

You reminded me of when I did jury duty and the courtroom was so cold I nearly went into hypothermia! The judge said she had hot flashes! I wanted to give her HRT, lol! Next time I’ll have a blanket!

4. Yum Yucky says:

you are amazing. I am so proud of everything you’ve accomplished and have yet to accomplish. Yes, I met you AFTER you lost the weight, but you continue to be a strong, positive example for all of us. xo

5. KCLAnderson (Karen) says:

I am laughing over the fact that your husband is the household ironer. Not because he’s a man, but because I don’t think my husband or I have ironed anything in a long while 🙂 Anyway, I watched the interview last week and though you did great! Congrats again! As for who I hope to inspire? Anyone who needs it…

6. Elizabeth says:

I too hope to inspire my family. I have several overweight family members that I hope to encourage along the way. However, I have found that many others have been inspired that I don’t consider as “close” friends or colleagues. People are always watching as one loses weight and there is no telling who secretly 🙂 is inspired.

• Diane Carbonell says:

It was pretty fancy but all I did was iron that dress and sleep so I didn’t take advantage of it. I don’t like to eat in restaurants by myself so I just ate food I had brought along with me.

7. blackhuff says:

This is such a wonderful experience you had to live through.
    Congrats on all that come on your way. The book, the interviews. You deserve it. After all the hard work you put in to lose it.

• Diane Carbonell says:

It was a lot of fun. I have to admire that I never would have dreamed I’d be on television when I lost all that weight. It honestly was the furthest thing from my mind.

8. E. Jane says:

You looked fabulous! What an experience, but you have worked so hard to be where you are today. Those of us who struggle with weight, know exactly what you have accomplished! Bravo!

9. me says:

I saw the show, and it was AWESOME! My only complaint was that it was too short. 🙂 You were so personable~like a best friend to any one of us. I also had the thought how amazing it is that you would encourage little ‘ole me with bloggy comments! LOL! 🙂

What a cool day you had! I think you look awesome in that dress, though I agree a more fitted sweater or shrug would have showed off your (excellent) figure better.