Labor Day Reboot for a Healthier Lifestyle

Did you know that there are only 112 days until Christmas and 119 days until the end of the year? That’s right – we are in the final one-third of 2012.

Many of us start our diets over and over before we finally get going on a path that will lead us to living at a healthy weight for life. For me, I started dieting in every month of the year, although I almost began anew in January.

This Labor Day holiday is a great time to reboot your commitment to healthy living – especially with the holiday eating season right around the corner.

When I need to reboot myself I follow these 5 simple steps:

1. Restate Your Goal

We all start off with the best of intentions, but life happens. It is absolutely impossible to be perfect all the time and sometimes we lose sight of our goal. When I reboot, I remind myself what my goal is. It may be a particular weight, a fitness goal, a healthy eating goal, or even fitting into a particular outfit. Whatever your goal is, restate it to yourself in writing and keep your goal in front of you as the year progresses.

2. Define Your Rules

I’m not a big rules person, as I like to do things my own way, but in the quest to live a healthy lifestyle I do have some loose rules that help me stay committed. My “rules” for myself include eating little processed foods, not eating after dinner, and exercising most days of the week. I also weigh daily and occasionally track my food to make sure that I’m getting a well-balanced diet. I’d encourage you to think about what “rules” or “guidelines” work for you and commit to sticking with them.

3. Reboot Your Kitchen

It’s really easy to let unnecessary foods sneak into your diet. Have you purchased “non-foods” at the grocery store that you know in your heart are not good for you or for your diet? I do it and most of the people I know have it happen from time to time. Use this holiday to look in your refrigerator and pantry and analyze what’s good and what’s not so good. Get rid of the really bad stuff and commit to not purchasing it anymore.

4. Think Long-Term

Stumbling blocks for me include sweets and salty chips – still. However, I do not let the occasional overindulgence of either of these foods derail me from trying to consistently live a healthy lifestyle. When you stumble, remember that this is a long-term journey. An occasional stumble won’t negatively affect you unless you allow it to turn into a long-term slide back into bad habits.

5. Revamp Your Exercise

The fall is a great time to exercise in most places because of the temperate weather. If you’ve slacked off of your exercise plan or just become complacent, make a new exercise plan that gets you motivated and excited. For me, trying a new workout or increasing my intensity makes me feel stronger and healthier. Try signing up for a fitness challenge like a mini-tri or a 5K to help you achieve your fitness goals.

What do you do to reboot your healthy lifestyle plan? Diane

20 thoughts on “Labor Day Reboot for a Healthier Lifestyle

1. Elizabeth says:

We all need to refocus from time to time. I am counting/logging my food intake now. I was getting to lax in the “healthy” extras. It was all adding up to a slow or no loss weigh-ins. A great post to motivate others to dig in their heels for the end of 2012.

2. Marc says:

Rebooting for me is a two day juice fast of kale, broccoli, parsley, cucumber, green apples, lime and ginger root. It’s my green juice drink. It makes about 32 ounces. After my juice fast I am free of processed sugar cravings and ready to get back to sensible eating.

A reboot is never a bad idea. I’ve been focusing back in on my on goals now that I feel slightly more human again, and it has been absolutely necessary to get some clarity of vision regarding my health choices. Even the best of us (of which I’m not one!) can get derailed if we don’t frequently prioritize and evaluate ourselves with a critical eye.

4. Libby says:

Great tips! I love the idea of refocusing and I try to do it every week! I need to eat more vegetables and drink that water!!

5. Karen P says:

I liked your post. A great reminder to reboot your program if you’ve fallen off or lost focus of your goals. Seeing the Xmas and the Halloween items side by side in my local Costco reminds me how food focused the next 4 months will be for so many. So glad that I can go through the seasons without the food being the focus.

Graphing my weight during my first year of weight maintenance has been the best way for me to keep my focus and to fine tune. Rebooting is good! Thanks again for the reminder.

6. Fitness Gear says:

As time approaches the end of the year, my main reboot would be my exercise program. Sidelined with injuries for almost 2 years I have finally been able to start biking and running again. With that said my calorie intake seems to also shot up as well. I now really have to concentrate in the kitchen on “how” I’m going to increase those calories so that I may continue to drop all those extra pounds I’ve put on while sidelined with injuries. I’m more or less beginning to journal and plan in the kitchen.

7. Megan says:

Great post and reminder Diane. Here in Australia it is the beginning of spring which to me always symbolises a new beginning and a renewal of my faith and commitment to my weight loss. It is also a reminder that summer is not that far away and means less clothes and bikini body weather, always a motivator! I doubt I will be wearing a bikini though as I will be in Sweden, but it would still be nice to know I could if I wanted to! Thank you for your timely post and great tips.

8. KarenJ says:

Love the term “rebooting!” No matter how consistent you believe you are with your eating and exercise behaviors, it’s always a good idea to refocus and set goals to improve your health, especially as we enter the colder weather months. Great reminder Diane!

9. Wenie Langacre says:

I love this great pointers Diane!
    I can’t wait to figure out things that I need to do to Reboot my lifestyle.

10. L says:

Again, great post! I recently went away for the weekend, camping; something I rarely do. During my time away I didn’t keep up with my usual water consumption. I had taken some bottled water with me, but not enough and I hate to drink water from questionable sources. When I returned home, the scale said a one pound gain. Instead of totally losing my focus, I decided to reboot my program and begin again. I suspect it was the lack of sufficient water that slowed everything down. I really appreciate the list you have included in this post, because as I am learning, finishing strong means getting back on the path numerous times. My race isn’t always straight, but I am in it for the long haul. Breaking down the pieces of the whole helps. Thanks!

11. Margaret @ WellnessCircle says:

Great post Dianne! Just the tips that I needed. I’m now starting my workout and I don’t wanna go over and over again like before. I really want this to work out. I think the main problem with me before is that I always get stuck at the first phase and getting frustrated in the end. I’m happy I’ve read this from your blog. You’re really an inspiration. Thank you for this.

12. Lisa says:

I am on the same boat, I am terrible at actually planning out and setting goals :P, I really need to get on top of it but I usually just keep putting it off! haha Maybe one day 🙂