Have You Ever Heard of the Global Fat Scale?

I read about this over the summer,  and even put the link up on my Facebook page so my friends there could see it. I keep thinking about it, so I thought it would be something that you may find interesting as well.

We all know about the Body Mass Index (BMI), which some people love and some people abhor. In case you need a refresher, the BMI is a measurement of your weight related to your height.

The Global Fat Scale, developed by the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, puts your BMI in a global perspective. Try it here.

My Results

For example, when I was 305 pounds my BMI was 44.1. That’s really bad. Putting those numbers into the Global BMI reveals that when I was that heavy, my BMI was higher than 99 percent of the women in the United States and higher than 100 percent of women in the world. The tool also tells you what country you are most like in terms of weight. With a BMI of 44.1, I was most like someone from Tonga. Interestingly enough, Tonga has a 90 percent obesity rate.

Now, when I put in my current numbers, my BMI is 22.4, which is fine. I have a lower BMI than 87 percent of American women my age and a lower BMI than 69 percent of females worldwide. I am most like someone from Tanzania.

One of the most interesting things was to see the chart that is displayed after you input your numbers. There you can see the obesity rate from countries all over the world. There is also a sentence under your information that tells you this:

If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 18,513,744 tons from the total weight of the world’s population

I don’t know why I found this so interesting but I really did. The obesity rate worldwide has more than doubled since the 1980’s, according to the World Health Organization. More than 1.4 billion adults are overweight and more than 40 million kids under 5 are overweight. Those are sobering statistics.

What do you think most contributes to the obesity epidemic worldwide? And if you’d like to share, what country are you most like on the Global Obesity Scale? Diane

24 thoughts on “Have You Ever Heard of the Global Fat Scale?

1. blackhuff says:

This is what I got:

When I was obese:

You have a higher BMI than 100% of females aged 15-29 in the world, for Global and National;
    BMI: 37

Now:

Global: You have a higher BMI than 59% of females aged 15-29 in the world
    National: You have a lower BMI than 68% of females aged 15-29 in your country
    BMI: 23
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would remove 9,389,195 tonnes from the total weight of the world’s population

I’m VERY satisfied with my results now 🙂

2. Sharon says:

Wow, what a great mood lifter for me this morning. I wrote about the Global Fat Scale quite some time ago and let’s just say, my results are MUCH different now than then. IN A GOOD WAY!! My current BMI of 22 is lower than 89% of my age group females in the USA.

Until we wake up and stop depending on the fast food industry, the restaurant industry in general and packaged quick food (non-food!) from grocery stores to feed our families and ourselves, the obesity epidemic will continue to spiral out of control. It starts with YOU and ME! It is our responsibility.

I will check this out all later Diane but sounds so interesting! I just think people want it all without the effort & with all the fast food & large portions & parents passing on to kids – so much going on. I read Cammy at Tiptoe Diet & she talks about how hard it is to find healthy food when she travels in her area. I am lucky where I live that we have lots of options but also crowded. 😉

4. Meg (@LadyMegSoprano) says:

I went from 40 (Tonga) at 220 pounds, to 24 (Nigeria) at 130 pounds. Not too shabby!

I don’t place a high emphasis on BMI and actually intend to ask my trainer to take my body fat measurement tomorrow. I hit goal weight last week but still have a bit of fat to lose!

5. Marc says:

Well I guess I better start learning Tongan. The program pointed out that I have a higher BMI than 72% of males aged 45-59 in the United States. And Globally, above average I have a higher BMI than 95% of males aged 45-59 in the world. And I thought 6 ft tall and 239 pounds was fat, but not that bad. Guess I was wrong. Now I’m depressed. If the podunk town I live in had a dunkin donuts or a winchells I’d go drown my troubles in a box of donuts with a pitcher of coffee. Guess I better keep on keeping on:)

I understand many people do not like the BMI, but I found it helpful. It was an accurate indicator of where I had to be to loose my belly fat. And my belly fat was the LAST fat to go.

I can see why you found the global data so interesting.

We have had a fair number of international kids through here in the last couple years and I had a high school girl (when I was in high school) from South Africa. What we see with ALL these kids but one, is when they live an American life style, they gain weight very quickly. Huge amounts of weight. Their only saving grace is they are usually not here for very long.

don’t forget if you are checking before and after weights, to change your AGE too – it makes a difference.

I started out in Micronesia and ended up in Uganda.

It was very interesting to look at the country ranking. I was surprised by how high some countries were on the list, even though the population does a lot of walking.

BMI is the Body Mass Index in this case, Diane. Although there are a few (and that’s very few) exceptions to the BMI categories, as well as the normal, overweight, and obese need to blend into each other, not be a sharp line between them, the BMI is a very good indication of future illness and chances of dying.

Yes, I first saw the GFS a few months ago. I always wanted to be a starving African 🙂

9. KarenJ says:

OMG this was so much fun! Apparently, my BMI is similar to a woman from East Timor (where the heck is that?) lol! Also my BMI is lower than 87% of females in my age group in the USA, which made me feel so much better about the efforts I put into my health. I’m actually still working on a few pounds, so it will be interesting to see if my results change when I take off the last few pounds!

10. Deniz says:

Fascinating, isn’t it. A global trip indeed!

I’ve traveled from Tonga to Eritrea but, sadly, didn’t remember to collect my £200 for passing ‘Go’.

11. RedPanda says:

That’s kind of scary. I think of myself as a bit “chunky”, yet my BMI is lower than 79% of females in my age group (45-59) in Australia. And I’m most like someone from the Sudan??? Aren’t the Sudanese tall and skinny?

12. RedPanda says:

And before I lost weight , I had a higher BMI than 98% of females in my age group in Australia, and 99% of women my age in the world!

And I most resembled someone from Tonga! (hangs head in shame).