The Hardest Thing About Weight Loss Is

On my Facebook page the other day I asked everyone what the hardest thing about weight loss is. I got a variety of answers including:

♦ Not gaining it back

♦ Staying motivated

♦ Keeping your mojo going when the weight loss process gets tedious or hard

♦ Realizing your new lifestyle has to be a lifelong change

My Answer

Honestly, this answer changes person to person and often changes during an individual’s weight loss journey. During most of my unsuccessful weight loss efforts, I found that the hardest part of losing weight was just getting started on the right foot. Instead of being committed to the program I was trying to follow, I dreamed up ways to get around the program’s “rules” and never got started on the right foot. I also found it very hard tostay motivated for very long. I quit before I really even got started, and I did this time after time after time.

The final time I think that the hardest thing for me was to accept that I had to live differently forever. I knew that my Fit to the Finish plan was working for me, so staying motivated while losing weight was not all that difficult, but realizing that I had to live like this forever was a thought that I had to constantly remind myself of. I learned to avoid saying “When I lose weight I can have all the Breyer’s ice cream I want.” I learned to not plan all the delicious foods I would eat “after weight loss.”

Instead I constantly reminded myself that I started this road to healthier living to live a more full life, to be a more energetic and positive mom to my kids, to look and feel better about myself, and to be healthier.

I tried to turn the “hard thing” about weight loss into a positive thing. Yes, it was going to be hard to live differently forever, but the shift was also going to help me improve my life in so many areas.

Your Answer

Before you answer this question, I’d challenge and encourage you to try and turn whatever answer you first think of into a positive thing.

So what’s the hardest thing about losing weight for you? Diane

15 thoughts on “The Hardest Thing About Weight Loss Is

1. Cindy says:

Alcohol, hands down. I like to drink on the weekends. I’m fine during the week. I can stay on plan like a train stays on the tracks. But when Friday hits I almost always want to go out with the husband or friends and have a few. Half the time I will have too many and I end up eating too much for dinner that night and it stalls my efforts. I fee like I’ve tried EVERYTHING to fit alcohol into my weight loss plan but the reality is that the only thing that has worked is complete abstinence. That’s the only way I was successful at my initial 40 lb loss and I have maintained that for over a year now but I want to get the rest off with alcohol in the plan. The reason is that me living without alcohol for the rest of my life is a complete joke. I enjoy wine with friends. I enjoy my social life and having a few with friends.
    I like that you asked for us to try to turn our answer into something positive. I guess the biggest positive is that I have maintained my 40-lb loss incorporating alcohol into my diet and I stick to my little mini-rule of ‘no drinking during the week’ and it seems to have worked.

2. Karen p says:

My hardest challenge in weight loss and still today , in maintnence is facing things head on without grabbing food to solve any of my problems. The difference is that today, I’ve had more practice. When things get tough, ripping open a mini-snickers is not going to comfort me. Making a piece of cinnamon toast will not cause the problem to go away. It those foods make the problem be my weight and my feelings of being stuck in obesity. Oh, and the problem just sits there, too!

Once I faced that and realized I could feel my feelings and not medicate with food, it was a positive loop to be in. The hardest thing to face or the hardest conversation to have is the most needed. Knowing that I can have confidence and face the future and be okay is the best.

Getting at those hard roots is key, so another positive thing is feeling accomplished that I can face or deal with the things that are out of my control. And stay healthy. Great topic as usual , Diane.

3. blackhuff says:

I never really thought hard about this question. But now that you ask it again, I say that the hardest thing about weight loss, was to train my brain in not thinking about food all the time. I used to think about what I’m going to eat next, every single moment of the day. Retraining this, was the hardest for me.

Yes, it can be different for each person. When I lost weight, I already knew & told myself this had to be long term.. I knew that I was fat from eating too much & the wrong things so once I lost, it had to be this way for life.. as well as exercising,

For me, the hardest thing still is that I LOVE all those foods I gave up or a lot of them – the sweets – so I have to know that I can treat myself by planning for it BUT I just can’teat this stuff that often & I have accepted that. It is all worth it! 🙂

5. suzanne says:

I think it’s finding exactly what works for you.
    I had tried Weight Watchers before and it worked but for some reason this time it just wasn’t doing it for me. So I tried the Simply Filling plan with Weight Watchers which is basically mostly unprocessed foods and bam it fit me like a glove. I’m enjoying what I eat I don’t feel deprived and I’m losing. Slowly yes but losing consistently.

6. Ashley says:

For me the hardest thing about loosing weight was the mental aspect of it. Even after I had lost 75 pounds and people started telling me how great I looked I was still struggling – A LOT to accept it myself. I still have a terrible body image even though I am at my ideal weight. Things are definitely getting better and the constant compliments from my husband, friends and family are helping greatly.

7. Renee says:

The hardest part for me is maintaining. My birthday was in September, I was planning on doing a sugar detox last month. It is very hard to do a detox in the month of your birthday. So I started October 1st and plan to not eat any junkie sweets until Thanksgiving. I am very happy to say that I haven’t had anything and that I hope to make it until then. I’m hoping that by then I will not even want any junk, I feel so much better. Sugar plays a big part of me maintaining my 55 pound weight loss.

This is a tough one. The hardest for me is probably dealing with a food culture that doesn’t eat like I do, no not straying off plan for just any old thing. On the upside, it has given me more self control and confidence, as well as an increasing amount of alternate recipes, but the temptation is annoying 😉

It’s hard for me not to say EVERYTHING! So if I have to say one comprehensive answer, I will say, “That it is not easy!”

Of course, if it was easy for our species to lose weight we would have gone the way of the dinosaur!

10. Dukebdc says:

For me the hardest thing about weight loss has been becoming the person who says “no” all the time. ‘No’ to the party trays of brownies; ‘no’ to alcohol; ‘no’ to an extra slice of pizza; ‘no’ to a scoop of ice cream. Because of the hurricane, my husband and I were cooped up together for nearly four days. My husband is lovely and has wonderful manners, so any time he gets up he always asks me, “Can I get you anything?” And I want to say “Yes! I want a pint of ice cream. A bag of chips! Two bags of candy! Yes!” But every time, I say, “No, thank you.” Over the past four days the scenario above has repeated at least a dozen times.

Making it a positive? Well, I know it gets easier. I have been a vegetarian for 13 years, and have said no to meat hundreds of times since then. I am always polite and smile, but always say no. Hopefully saying no to candy and goodies will soon be that reflexive for me and I just won’t think about it much anymore.

11. Joe says:

I agree with Cindy’s comments regarding alcohol. I think having a few beers on a friday night and then piling on with some greasey food was the hardest to get away from after a hard week of work. Once I got out of that habit though I found that there were nice side effects with this change. On saturday morning I woke up motivated and ready to roll where normally I’d feel a lethargic after a few beers and a pizza.

12. Lyn says:

For me, the hardest thing about weight loss is the focus on food and eating. It is almost counterintuitive, but I have to plan, cook, measure, and count my food when I am losing weight. Sometimes I’d just like to eat whatever sounds good, not worry about calories, eat what everyone else is eating. The positive? All this attention on food is an education and leads to healthier choices.

• evilcyber says:

That is very true. When I lost weight, measuring things and realizing how many calories I had actually been consuming was a very enlightening experience.

13. Stephanie G Travis says:

The hardest thing about losing weight is that the 1) the reinforcement is not immediate and 2) I get bored. When you have 200 pounds to lose, 5, 10 or 20 pounds doesn’t change your life. But the effort needed to lose those 20 pounds is great. I am three weeks into another attempt to lose weight. This is the first time I notice how much better I feel, so I use that for immediate reinforcement. Starting a blog also gives me immediate reinforcement because I love the creative process and I love the comments. The blog has also helped me with boredom. I used food to entertain me, so there is a vacuum until I find something else to fill that space. The blog is what I hope to be one of many healthy and soul-nourishing things I use to replace food.