My Doctors Did Not Want To Have The Talk

I’m not a doctor and I don’t play one in real life or on the Internet!

I know that all doctors are a little different, but I thought it would be interesting for me to tell you about how my doctors reacted to my obesity and contrast that with how other doctor’s handle a patient who needs to lose weight.

Like many people large and small, I really abhorred going to the doctor. The more I weighed the less I liked stepping foot into a doctor’s office. I’m still not sure what the most embarrassing part of a visit was – standing on the scale, which was usually right in the main hallway, watching the nurse’s face when she pretended not to be horrified by the huge number she was writing down, or the awful anticipation of having the doctor look at my weight on the chart. In truth, they were all pretty bad.

I always felt ashamed when I stood on the scale. I would imagine ways to avoid getting on it, but I could never think of a way that may actually work so I always ended up just hauling myself up on the scale and trying to pretend I was somewhere else. Like Switzerland or Iceland.

After standing on the scale I’d silently yell at the nurse to hurry up already. It used to annoy me when she’d start the scale weight at the 150 mark when I obviously weighed a LOT more than 150 pounds. Finally she’d figure out that I was close to 300 pounds and record my weight. I’d reluctantly follow her to the exam room, already dreading whatever it was my doctor was going to say to me about my weight.

Would he yell at me? Would he seem frustrated because I weighed more than I had the last time he saw me? Finally he’d come in and say something along the lines of, “Hello Diane, how are you?” I’d speak politely to him, but the whole time I was talking I was cringing inside about my weight. After all, this was the same doctor who met me when I was a newlywed who weighed about 165 pounds and now I was about 300 pounds.

Surprisingly, in the 10 years that I was obese, only a couple of my doctors ever said anything negative about my weight. For most of the visits, not one word was spoken about the fact that I weighed more than a football player, weighed twice what I used to, or was continuing to gain weight year after year. Nonetheless, I still worried about it every single time.

The first time my doctor said anything about my weight was when I went over 200 pounds or so. He said, “Diane, you are such a young woman. You really should do something about your weight.”  I nodded and said I had joined Weight Watchers recently. I didn’t tell him I had also stopped at McDonald’s for a chocolate milk shake for fortification on the way to the doctor’s appointment though! He then continued, “You’d lose weight on your own if you would just eat a piece of chicken for dinner and take a walk.

I looked at that man in disbelief. That was his “doctorly” advice? Eat a piece of chicken and take a walk? I had been eating enough chicken to turn into one, and I certainly hadn’t lost any weight, perhaps because I fried or smothered that chicken and finished off my chicken meal with at least two desserts!

And as for walking, did having to park in the back of his parking lot because there were so many cars count? I dismissed his advice as lame and went merrily along eating and gaining weight.

The second time a doctor commented on my weight was several years after the first incident. An OB/GYN said to me, “You know, it’s pretty unusual to be able to get pregnant at your weight. A lot of people with weight issues have fertility problems.” That was it. I took it as a compliment, and kept right on eating.

A midwife said something once, and one or two other times my doctors said I should lose weight, but they said it almost in passing and I did not take their advice to heart.

In talking to a ton of people about weight issues, I tend to see two camps. There are doctors who really do address the weight issue head-on, and there are other doctors who seem to tiptoe around the weight issue or avoid it entirely.

I wonder if you have had doctors who gave you practical advice, doctors who ignored the issues, or doctors who made you feel badly about yourself?

What’s the right balance? Is it better for a doctor to risk offending a patient and address the weight issues upfront or have doctors who just let it all slide?

And as a side note, my advice to you is this: If you are having trouble with your weight, talk to your doctor even if he/she doesn’t bring it up. Initiate a conversation with them about your concerns and perhaps their advice and your concern can help you get motivated to change. Diane

47 thoughts on “My Doctors Did Not Want To Have The Talk

Down here in Florida the doctors tend to ignore the weight issue and just deal with the issue at hand. I think doctors that care about their patients and have a relationship to them should address the issue in a sensitive way shaming people doesn’t work EVER! Also, some of the doctors are overweight themselves, and some are normal weight and can’t relate to people who are over weight and have no CLUE what to suggest to change things.
    I got no help from my doctors when I made my last push to lose my 40 pounds yet they were all full of congrats and atta girls when I got it done on my own.

2. Becky Hill says:

My doctor and I discussed weight at every annual visit and he said something that really helped. “Yes,” he said, “You fall into the obese category. Unfortunately, you won’t get a lot of help from the medical profession. We really don’t have answers beyond some pills that don’t work.”

Once I realized that it was up to me, and that my doctor wanted to partner with me but didn’t have more resources than I had, I set to losing weight.

The good news is that at my last MD visit, after I lost the weight (counting calories and increasing exercise) he said, “Now, I’m taking that diagnosis off your record. You no longer have high blood pressure.”

3. Stephanie G Travis says:

Doctor’s should gingerly and kindly ask the patient if there’s anything they can do to help them with the weight. But on the most part, doctor’s should go overboard to make fat patients feel comfortable. Why? Because it’s documented that fat people go to the doctor less because of the interaction they know will occur between them and the doctor. For most fat people, the issue runs deep. A doctor’s harsh words will only make it worse. Many doctors have little education about the psychology and physiology of obesity.

4. sarah says:

I’m a physician myself and am in the midst of overcoming my own obesity. It’s just as hard for us as it is for everyone else to get healthy, maybe even harder because we use the excuse about our schedules and our stress, and the doctor’s lounges and hospital cafeterias aren’t stocked with healthy options.

I’m halfway to my goal, 50 pounds down, and about to get out of the obese range on the BMI charts. I feel I address weight concerns with my patients (in the free clinic) with honesty about my own sucesses, and have more to offer than a physician whose always been thin. Of course being at normal BMI is still my goal, and losing weight sucessfully over the past year has made me more confident in bringing it up with patients.

• evilcyber says:

I think what also contributes to this is that doctors sometimes feel a bit “invincible” and then tend to deny any personal problem until it is quite dire.

5. blackhuff says:

I feel that it’s better for a doctor to risk it and say something about their weight. But, I wonder as well, if doctors don’t get tired as well, about talking about the same issue to the same patients as well?

As a surgeon, for the most part, I do not have to deal with this. I’m afraid this is one of those areas where you are dammed if you do and dammed if you don’t. There is a growing area in medicine which deals directly with the problem of obesity, so hopefully that will be helpful.

Personally, I feel a doctor should have enough education in the area to discuss this with patients in a professional, direct, clinical manner, no different that discussing any other “sensitive or non-sensitive” area.
    Having to walk on thin ice when it’s the patient’s problem is not reasonable or fair to a doctor who is just trying to be helpful. Patients need to accept their responsibility for their condition, especially when the doctor is doing their best to help.

• Diane Carbonell says:

I have a close friend who is an orthopedic surgeon and he says that a lot of his patients get annoyed with him when he mentions that losing weight may help some of their knee and foot problems. He said it like treading on thin ice. He said one patient looked at him and said, “Are you just telling me to lose weight because I’m here for you to fix my knee not to lose weight!”

• Michelle says:

This is exactly the reaction my husband had the last time he went to the doctor. He went for a foot that has been bothering him on and off for a long time. He came home and ranted that all the doctor wanted to talk about was losing weight not fixing his foot.

• L says:

I’ve heard that for every one pound I lose, FOUR pounds of pressure are removed from my knees. Pretty good motivation that did not come from my doctor, but from a blogger. I wonder if my doctor even knows this information…

7. Amy Parker says:

I’ve been told once or twice from my ObGyn that I should look at getting the weight off. Once was after I had my daughter and lost the baby weight. He mentioned that it was great that I had lost the weight and it was time to start working on the rest. That was it – no real advice on the matter.

The second time was the last time I was in to see him. I was closer to 300 lbs at the time and I brought it up. They recommended I go see a nutritionist and check my thyroid. I understand that THAT is likely not their comfort field, but if I’m asking for help I guess I would hope to get more support from the one doctor I was actually comfortable enough to talk to about it.

Everyone is talking about the ‘obesity epidemnic’ in this Country but it seems like doctors aren’t wanting to get involved. Instead they want you to go to a Nutritionist or Weight Loss Clinic which 1) doesn’t accept insurance and 2) always seems to give the same answer – low/no carbs – which doesn’t always work for some people. It’s infuriating.

• Dr. J says:

Amy, I’ve always felt that if I have a patient that needs help with something that I do not know how to help with, referring them to someone else that can help them is the best thing I could do, rather than waste their time and money trying to treat something I have no business doing.

• Amy Parker says:

I do understand that. If someone came to me to ask about home insurance (where I work in Health), I would refer them out as well. I guess, as a society, we (or maybe just I) assume that doctors should know about proper nutrition and/or weight issues – especially if they are going to tell us that we need to work on it. Maybe at the time I wasn’t necessarily looking for advice but support. I’m not even sure I’m making sense any more. 🙂

• Joy says:

Don’t quote me but I am pretty sure GP’s do not get get a lot of training in nutritional at all. Unless they are in bariatrics.

• Dr. J says:

According to studies on the subject, you are correct! There are very few if any courses in this area in most medical schools, which I feel is unfortunate. The medical field is so vast now-a-days that many areas are not covered until the physician goes into a specialty area. All that I learned about this came on my own after medical school. Knowing what I do now about the impact on a person’s overall health from the lifestyle choices that we make, I would make lifestyle choices a primary area of study if I had the power to do it!

• Diane Carbonell says:

I feel your pain. As I told Vickie – the nutritionist I just saw with a friend was absolutely no help. I know there are good ones out there, but this woman was not one of them. Plus the visit was not covered by insurance, so my friend had to pay $100.00 for a blank sheet of paper that passed for a “food journal” and some useless advice on how to lose 200 pounds. Then at the end of the visit, the woman recommended Slim-Fast type shakes that may help my friend lose weight faster. Really?

I don’t think most doctors have the background to help anyone with a weight issue. I asked to be referred to a nutritionist (and was) and that helped.

My subway gift card arrived with Saturday’s mail! Thank you!

• Diane Carbonell says:

You are quite welcome – I hope your husband enjoys using it!

And I agree with your point about a lot of doctors not having the background to deal with obesity. That being said though – I went to a nutritionist with an obese friend who I was helping and that nutritionist gave no good advice. She spoke in generalities and offered my friend no real “take-aways” that would help her at all. I could have told my friend all of that and not charged her $100.00.

• Amy Parker says:

“That being said though – I went to a nutritionist with an obese friend who I was helping and that nutritionist gave no good advice. She spoke in generalities and offered my friend no real “take-aways” that would help her at all. I could have told my friend all of that and not charged her $100.00.”

This is the problem I’ve found exactly. It’s expensive and the nutritionists don’t seem to give anything that a patient can hold on to.

• Princess Dieter aka Mir says:

You had a crappy nutritionist. Every single one I’ve gone to since age 29 (the first time, 3 in all in 20+ years) talked in detail about how I ate (and had me do a journal for at minimum 4 days of my normal eating). Then they’d discuss calories and portions. (I was a whiz at calorie counting, so they didn’t have to waste much time on this, as I passed every single one of their caloric “ballparking” tests when they showed me slides or plastic foods.) I was weighed and measured. I was asked about food issues and preferences. The last one in 2011, the year I finally stuck to it, gave me an eating plan that incorporated what I liked to eat, but in certain portions within a caloric limit. I still have the notebook with the plan and her handouts. We discussed starch sensitivity in middle age (she herself had to cut back on starches/carbs to maintain her slim weight,and she’s a tennis pro).

If a nutritionist is not discussing particular health issues (in my case, a lot of allergies/sensitivities, prediabetic back then, high blood pressure back then, high cholesterol/ LDL when I am unable to tolerate statisn (nor wish to), (ie, Metabolic syndrome)) We discussed what foods I liked best for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and she drew up the plan lowering fat, lowering starch to one serving, and keeping me low caloric for weight loss. We’d tweak the plan as needed monthly.

Sometimes, we need to FIND the people who are really pros, not just assume the R.D. by their name means they’re any good. Lots of folks have cosmetology/stylist licenses. Not all know how to cut hair well. Same goes for nutritionists. 😀

• L says:

I’ve gone to TWO nutrionists in the medical field and neither were any help whatsoever. I did get some help from a homeopathic nurtritionist, however. She was at least willing to listen and give some direction and options to try. I saw her three times, and each time she gave me more encouragement than either of the medical nutritionists, who seem so focused on bariatric treatements, that they had little time for old fashioned meal planning and exercise discussion.

9. Emergefit says:

Curious if Dr. J would disagree with this, but obesity is a factor, in my opinion, in all aspects of medicine. So it is my opinion that, at the very least, that it if obesity is present, it should be touched on but not necessarily administered to by the treating physician.

• Dr. J says:

What I meant, Roy, is that I do not treat obesity surgically, and would refer any patient I had, and that was willing to, to someone or a team that directly worked with this. Of course obesity has negative effects on all medical and surgical treatments and conditions even if it’s just the difficulty of inserting an endotracheal tube by the anesthesiologist or starting an IV (by me or any body else), so I can do the surgical procedure on a sleeping patient.

On a social level, I talk to people about this all the time. Unfortunately, if I took the time to do this in a practice, I would not be able to maintain my surgical commitments.

10. Marc says:

This is a woman thing mostly. I’m talking about stepping on the scales at a Doctor office to be weighed. My wife has on occasion just said, “No thank you” when the nurse asked her to step on the scale. So they skipped the weigh-in. I think this is sloppy medicine. Isn’t knowing your weight part of the process? Between being married to 2 different women for 34 years of marriage, I can honestly say that I have never known what either wives weight was/is. Credit card companies should make it (your weight) part of the security screening process to identify you, instead of your mother’s maiden name.

• Dr. J says:

Marc, if I had a patient that wouldn’t step on a scale when I needed to know their weight for a surgical reason, I would ask them to find a different doctor! Compliance is imperceptive for any treatment regimen!

• Princess Dieter aka Mir says:

Well, I’m a woman and have never lied or fudged my weight. When I was 300 lbs or 250 lbs, I’d move the thingie on the scale for the medical assistant, cause, really, why waste her time and mine going up in increments cause they wanted to be sensitive or couldn’t judge my girth’s weight properly? 😀
      When it’s a medical situation/setting , then women need to give up the vanity and get on with it. Docs need to know if a patient has gained or lost weight of any significance as a signal of a health condition. And, of course, if a patient is obese.

When I was 299, I said to folks, “I’m 300 lbs.” I’m now 174 and ounce change. And nowhere on the spectrum did I ever lie “down” about my weight. Why? Folks can look at me and see I’m not skinny. Pulease, like they don’t know when we’re fat?

It’s amazing how we adults can act so…childish.

11. suzanne says:

My Dr did talk about my weight but in conjunction with other health issues I’ve had. I have very early heart disease and have already had 2 stents put in a major blocked artery. So he sat with me and explained what foods I needed to stay away from and what foods I needed to be eating. He also recommended at least 20 minutes of walking everyday. Can I say he’s one of my favourite Dr’s?

12. Gigi says:

I’ve been going to my doc for about 14 years and for the most part I would always bring the weight issue up first. She’s been patient with me but this last physical suggested I consider bariatric surgery just because I’ve been struggling so long with my weight, even tho I typically wouldn’t be heavy enough to be considered a candidate. I went to the info meeting and decided against it. I still keep thinking I can do this on my own, but the real struggle that has to be won first is in my head. If I can figure out why I keep self-sabotaging every time I make some progress, I know I can return to health.

13. Joy says:

My family doctor is great. She has been my doctor since I was 12 so over 20 years now. She doesn’t avoid my weight issue but she also doesn’t make me feel bad. But I did have an a horrible experience when I went to the emergency for severe stomach pains. I had to wait over 4 hours to see a doctor I finally had someone give me some medication for the pain. I had about 5 doctors observing (a teaching hospital) when the main doc was poking around on my stomach to see what the problem was. Anyways he left to call someone about my situation and everyone could hear him on the phone and all I remember he said was she is morbidly obese… I know it’s a clincial term but It hurt a great deal and at that time I had lost 20 pounds and he didn”t know me. Sometimes I think some doc tor’s should take a sensitivity course.

• Princess Dieter aka Mir says:

Being sensitive to patients is always a good thing, but the truth is, when I was 250 and 300 lbs, I WAS severely morbidly obese. I used the term morbidly obese. I did not kid myself. That is the clinical term, and I used it for myself, even when blogging. I do not put blinders on. I’m still overweight. I’m still “fat”…even if I’ve lost 125 pounds.

I don’t care what terms doctors use. I do care that I’m not treated as “less than” because of weight issues. When I was operated on at 255 pounds, they didn’t have a post-surgical girdle (the thing to keep the sutures from popping while you heal from abdominal surgeries). They had me in one made for a smaller person, and very uncomfortable and barely closing. The fact is, hospitals adn doctors have to know there are big persons, and instead of makign me wear TWO gowns, like they did back then, to cover all my torso, have gowns on hand that fit big sizes. To me, THAT is sensitivity and treating people with dignity. Have on hand what is NEEDED.

They can call me fat all they want , cause I am and was, and it’s not a lie. But don’t TREAT me as a second citizen for being larger.

We fat folks need to accept that if we are morbidly obese, obese, superobese, overweight…that’s what we are. The words are not a weapon. They are a fact.

14. Princess Dieter aka Mir says:

I’m in Florida (south) like another commenter, but my doctor did not ignore it, as I went up and up and hit 303 on her scale. She’d give me handouts about how to eat. She’d recommend I see a dietitian. I tried asssorted diets short-term and stayed on none. I’d exercise a bit and then lose interest. So, while my doctor addressed it at nearly every visit (and I saw her about every 4x a year), I think doctors get frustrated, too, because we as patients can’t seem to stick to any program, can’t sustain a loss, can’t see it as an urgent situation, life and death. So, maybe some stop addressing it because they don’t feel they have much to offer other than, “Eat better and fewer calories, move more, and learn how to control the issues that make you eat.” The truth is, we ultimately may need to see a therapist, a counselor, a dietitian, a personal trainer, or have some sort of major epiphany before any medical advice STICKS.

I hope health care will move more to preventative. Catch the person when they’re 10 pounds up, not 50 or 200 pounds up, and intervene in a holistic and intense way to correct bad habits before it becomes health smashing.

15. Michelle says:

I’m of mixed thoughts about this. I remember not going for yearly check ups “because I felt fine” and when I did see the doctor, often he/she would say some version of “you should do something about your weight”. I would say something to the order of “yeah, I know. I’m trying” and not really change anything in my life. I did diet and lose a fair amount of weight a couple times, but went back to bad habits and the weight came back. I remember feeling annoyed at the time that the doctor was nagging me about my weight. I do wish I had done something more permanent about it then rather than now, but it took something other than the doctor talking about it to get me to do something about it.
    I sort of looked forward to talking to the doctor about my weight the last time I went. I had lost 20 pounds (according to my and their records), so I knew the comments would be better. We talked about what I was doing and he mentioned that “they” are finding that it is calorie restriction more than movement that makes the difference in weight loss, which I had heard from other sources and am finding to be the case for me.

My husband on the other hand was annoyed when he went to the doctor for a sore foot and the doctor was more concerned about his weight and factors relating to that like blood pressure and blood test results than what he was there for which, I believe, will make him less likely to go back.

It’s a fine line for doctors, I believe. Encouraging someone to lose weight isn’t easy. It’s a touchy subject for so many.

• Princess Dieter aka Mir says:

Weight affects the feet. The joints. Ask the obese folks with plantar fasciitis, and how much better it gets when weight goes way down. 🙂

And some conditions affect extremities. Diabetes, circulation. Asking about blood tests and other factors may well have been trying to guess at the cause of the foot issue. If your hubby understood that it’s not just the foot that may be at the cause of foot pain, and the doc has to look at all possibilities (or be sued if he misses something crucial, in this, our litigious society), then maybe he won’t feel so put upon or sensitive about visits.

• Michelle says:

The doctor at a previous visit had been concerned about some number from a blood test and was wanting to get that repeated. I’m not sure if he thought that number had anything to do with his foot, but I tried explaining to my husband that the doctor is going to be concerned about any possibly serious health concerns (the number had to do with his liver) in addition to his sore foot.
        I think he understands that his weight is likely to have something to do with his foot. It’s been enough to keep him away from the gym and he was hoping to get it feeling better so he could more easily do something about the weight. I think he was thinking more clearly about it by the next morning.

16. Chris says:

My doctor didn’t mince words last time I was there. I wasn’t offended. She said that my BMI is just heading into the obese range (I’m about 45 lbs overweight), so I needed to lose weight. Then she recommended a lower calorie diet and exercise. She wasn’t judgemental; she said she was worried about type 2 diabetes and had me go for tests. Fortunately, my numbers are fine except for a bit of an iron deficiency, which tends to run in my family. So I joined WW and am down 10 lbs even though it has been a sloooow loss. I just couldn’t stand looking at the number on the scale anymore.

17. Elizabeth says:

What an interesting thread and topic. My primary physican used to always tip-toe around my weight issue. I was glad when the dr offices switched to digital scales instead of the old-fashion scale. I too can remember the cringe as the nurse had to keep moving the bar down the scale. I had to bring up my plan to lose weight on my own or have the lap-band. The doctor seemed shocked that I was that concerned and I was 100 pounds overweight!

18. 16blessingsmom says:

I went in to the doctor about a year and a half ago for persistent heartburn. It kept me up at night, was present all day long. I had treated it myself with over-the-counter meds for over a year, the meds stopped helping. So, reluctantly, into the doctor I went. My blood pressure was way higher than it had ever been. I was alarmed, but the doctor wasn’t. He just prescribed something for the heartburn, said to come back in a month, and we would talk about my blood pressure then. Hmm. No. I was really rattled by that high reading. I then went home and read up on the meds he had prescribed, and the number one consumer complaint was weight gain! I was over a hundred pounds overweight already! So, I decided right then and there to lose weight. No more junk food. I started walking, which was agony at first! Going up the hill was like death! When I went back the next month for the checkup, I had lost 12 pounds, my blood pressure was down, and the heartburn…was gone. Without the medicine. I was so encouraged! The doctor was complimentary, wished all his patients were like me. I just decided to change my lifestyle because I was scared of high blood pressure, scared of being unhealthy. Yes, I knew I was fat. But I had always had good numbers, good outcomes with all my pregnancies (16 healthy babies). I don’t know if it would have helped if he had been more blunt about my weight. I think people generally KNOW they should lose weight when they are fat. They know it. A doctor saying it isn’t necessarily going to help. Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps most people want to take the easy way, just take some medicine for what ails them, not suffer though denying themselves. I have lost 70 pounds now, and have 50-ish more to lose. It is not easy, but if I can exercise and eat right and avoid all those medicines, and add some years to my life, and ENJOY life…well, it is totally worth it..

• L says:

AWESOME! You did what was right for you. I think that’s GREAT. Congrats on the weight loss, and the improvement of your health. Yay, you!

19. Blessedmama says:

For me personally, I know when I’m overweight, as I think most overweight people do. It kind of bugs me when my doctor says anything to me. However, I understand their care and concern, I really do.

20. Lynn says:

I went to my doctor specifically to ask for help on my weight issues. The doctor I went to asking for help was helpful and nice about it all….but after my first visit, she left the practice. I still managed to start losing weight. The woman I was “assigned” by the practice I was going to was HORRIBLE. When I first went to her, I was struggling as I was stalled on my weight loss. The next time I went I begged for help. She was pleased that I had lost TWO pounds…in a YEAR. She gave me a canary yellow sheet of paper that said “eat less, move more” and had a few links for calorie counters. When I next went to her, I had lost a couple more pounds and told her all that I was doing. She shook her head and said “well, I guess you need to have bariatric surgery.” I told her NO. That was not the solution I was looking for. She is no longer my doctor.

My current doctor and I have an interesting relationship. I basically tell her what is working for me and she is engaged and interested and supportive…but not esp. helpful. I am down over 60 pounds since I was told surgery was my only option. It took finding a nutritionist that really helped me a lot.

21. Joe says:

When I had my physical my doctor was pretty blunt when my blood pressure and cholesterol was a little off. I wasn’t caught off guard and I think my doctor probably had a small contribution to me getting off my butt and lose some weight.

22. Rachelle says:

My doctor didn’t really ever bring it up either. When I started thinking about trying (again) to lose weight, I brought it up. The advice I received was to join Weight Watchers. That’s it, the extent of the advice I was given. At the time I was not financially able to join WW so that advice was not helpful. I have even asked doctors what I can do to help my husband lower his cholesterol and I’ve found the same kind of attitude. The advice I’ve been given about that is to cook meals that help lower your cholesterol. Yet no one would tell me what those meals were. Apparently that’s when the internet was supposed to become my advice giver.

23. jeanette says:

Here in Oklahoma the obesity is so bad it seems like the doctors have given up. Alot of obese go to the doctors for an easy fix….but there is none. Thats were pills and drinks and “weight loss aids” come into play. Doctors around here seem to be overweight and out of shape themselves… how sad.

24. Lindsay says:

As an overweight person with no other health issues (e.g. high cholesterol, blood pressure, etc…) my GP never really pushed the weight loss issues. He would occasionally mention that I should lose some weight and offer suggestions, but I never experienced the persistent and sometimes aggressive doctors that others have. Looking back, I almost wish he had been a little more persistent. Maybe then I would not have waited so long to kick my but into action. My OBGYN was always more focused on my weight and the effect it could have on my fertility.

25. Pingback: Bean Bytes #14