Monday Morning Restarts

How many times have you put off restarting your diet until the following Monday? If you are like me, it may be a very large number.

There is nothing wrong with starting your diet on Monday, but isn’t it better just to restart your diet on whatever day you happen to decide to get back on the wagon?

The trouble with waiting until another day to restart is that that day may never, ever come. True? It was for me.

I cannot tell you how many times I’d tell myself that I’d start again on Monday. Then, I’d give myself the weekend before the dieting Monday to eat whatever I wanted to in preparation for the total deprivation that I just knew was coming.  Friday night would find me eating five or six slices of pizza followed by a dessert or two. On Saturday I’d talk John into going out to eat at least once that day so I could revel in a hearty Mexican meal or enjoy my “last” slice of Death  by Chocolate dessert. Sunday I’d just eat, and eat, and eat.

This is the danger of a Monday morning restart. Not the Monday part, but the days leading up to that Monday. Instead of just starting right when you decide to get back on track, putting off the diet start usually messes with your mind.

If you are like I was you may find yourself already feeling sorry for yourself rather than focusing on the benefits of eating a healthier diet. You may find yourself planning ways to cheat on your diet before you even begin it, and you may get so anxious about dieting that you never do get started anew.

When people ask me for a “top tip” for weight loss, this one is one I often recommend:

Don’t wait until tomorrow to get started. Start right away because every day you wait is one day you cannot get back.

How have you done at restarting right away? Do you tend to wait until Monday and does that work? Diane

19 thoughts on “Monday Morning Restarts

1. Samantha says:

This is me to a tee. I always want to put things off until Monday or whatever other day and the I rarely get it done. Thanks for the graphic at the end. I love it!

2. Pamela says:

This is so true!! There constantly are things that come up and make it hard to restart. I try to not let a slip up put me off my game but I’ve been guilty of doing just that and the pushing my restart date back and back and back. I need to remind myself that there is nothing magic about Monday. Any day can be a restart day.

3. Karen P says:

Yep! I would tell myself countless times that I would start the next day or on Monday or what ever. It was my slippery slope thinking and it was away for me to justify overeating. I had to deal with that mindset during loss and I still deal with it.

The most helpful way for me was a friend who told me my body was keeping track 24/7. And the Beck diet solution , refuse to regain , and other weight maintenance resources reminding me of the same thing. I had to shut down the start again thoughts and replace with the ” I choose this” thoughts. Great post!

• Taryl says:

Yes! Those few precious resources on maintenance like Diane, Barbara, etc, are SUCH a help in keeping the right mindset on healthy, permanent weight maintenance.

For me it wasn’t with a diet, but I understand what you mean and I have been there.
    As a doctor who is familiar with tragedies that could have been avoided if the person would have only made those lifestyle changes today instead of always waiting for that tomorrow that never comes, I wish I could reach these people and persuade them to make that change.

I’ve followed bloggers for years as their health gets worse and they live in denial of that event that will change their life, or end their life while they talk about their delusional attitude.

5. Marc says:

I know several family members who have lived their entire life by this code. And they do float down the river of Denial until a life threatening obesity related disease strikes them. I’m glad you were able to turn it around and face reality.

6. Kara says:

I used to be a wait until the next day or the following week or the start of the next month person. Now, I take things one food choice at a time; every decision is deliberate and I no longer regret or dwell on it. If I decide to eat a cupcake at the monthly department meeting, that is my choice and it no longer derails the subsequent choices I make.

7. Emergefit says:

Fit. Fat. Fit again. During fat phase, and I’m not exaggerating, I sent almost ONE FULL YEAR in Monday purgatory. I think about that EVERY SINGLE DY OF MY LIFE!!!

For anyone who made read this comment who is battling this, Diane is right — TODAY IS THE DAY!!

8. Renee says:

Diane you are so right. I tell people all the time when you fall, which we all do from time to time. Get up, dust your self off and get back on track. Don’t wait until Monday or New Year’s Day.

I somehow missed the memo that I was supposed to yoyo a bunch and fall off my diet, I can honestly say I don’t ever recall doing a Monday morning restart. I’m pretty sure I started my journey on a Saturday and whenever I’d get off track and realize it I’d get right back on the next sensible time, which was usually the next meal or the morning immediately following. Even on the times I struggled to hit my stride, like when I got stuck after Seth was born or when I was battling cravings and food aversions during this first trimester, I never did the Monday morning thing. I’d just keep trying each day.

I agree with you that restart ‘dates’ are asking for trouble leading UP to them. I just never went there in my head, I knew it would only be an excuse to eat badly and if I wanted to get on track, doing it immediately was a wiser course of action.

10. C says:

I think that when I chose to do this I changed as a person and really do think that I could not have done this any earlier than I did. Of course I wish I had started sooner but I know I can’t change that. When I did finally make up my mind it was instant no I’ll wait til tomarrow or Monday or the start of the month.

11. Lisa says:

I know so many people who do this. I have a friend who is always saying “I’m starting weight watchers in a week so I’m going to eat whatever I want now!” And it just sets her up for failure. 🙁

12. I ❤ 2 Eat says:

I restarted my workouts recently – on something like a Thursday. Which is very unlike me, because whenever I start something, it’s usually a Monday. But really, if I can do something today, why wait until tomorrow? 🙂

13. MamaBearJune says:

Well, I met with a new doctor yesterday, so I’m (re)starting as of YESTERDAY! 🙂 She told me I looked like a wilted flower. And said my brain is crying out for fuel. I’ve been in a vicious cycle of depression, fatigue, migraines and complete lack of appetite, so I have been a little “wilted” lately. So I have to set a timer to force myself to eat every 2-3 hours. I told my husband, “You realize how many people are going to hate my guts if they hear that????” I love this new doc and was very glad she didn’t want to put me on medication, but wants to look at natural stuff first! I have too low blood pressure and high heart rate, so I need to add salt to everything and carry snack-size bags of salted nuts with me wherever I go. (That was recommended by the cardiologist I saw a couple years ago, too! He said most people walk around dehydrated because they aren’t getting enough sodium. You can drink all the water you want, but if you don’t take in enough sodium, your body doesn’t use it the way it needs to.) She recommended yoga for gentle stretching, too.

14. Sagan says:

Yes! So true, Diane.

On the other hand, I’m also a very firm believer in planning ahead. When it comes to major changes, jumping right into it doesn’t always work so easily because it’s too drastic and all at once.

My strategy is that if I fall off the wagon and need to get started again, I decide to start today with something small – like drinking a green smoothie or going for a jog. Then later in the day I’ll put together a plan to determine the best way to ensure that I can get back to being healthy in a well-rounded way, and it might take me a week or two or longer to implement the plan (to go to the grocery store, etc. etc.), but each day I’ll make sure I do one little thing to keep motivated.

There’s so much value in starting healthy right NOW – and also for planning so that Monday morning is going to be awesome.

Always nice to read your anecdotes – it’s so inspirational!

15. Joe says:

As far back as I can remember I’ve started every diet on a Monday. I also remember about 80% of my diets were destroyed on the weekend. Something about Mondays being a miniature New Years Day. Like a clean slate.

16. blackhuff says:

I love this. I too have learned that if you fail, you just restart the next day again and not wait until Monday comes. This is a big key to success as well.