A New Way to Define a Successful Holiday

I hope that you all had a wonderful, wonderful Christmas! We had a great time and I thought I’d share a few pictures with you. Here I am waiting for John to come and get his picture taken with me because that is a family tradition. One of the kids takes our picture and then I take a picture of all the kids in front of their presents. This year, even though we all kept calling for John he took “forever” to get into the living room, so I pretended to have my picture with him. You will notice in the next picture that he did show up! (You may also notice my favorite green Crocs, which someone decided were awful and gave me a new pair of black ones.)

And here is the traditional picture of the kids in front of the tree. I don’t think the littlest one was quite awake in this picture, but they all perked up when the unwrapping began.

I hope that no matter what food decisions you made yesterday, you were able to focus on the meaning of the holiday and hopefully be able to enjoy spending time with your family and friends.

I’ve come to realize over the years that the defining of holiday success has little to do with food and much to do with living. When you are in weight loss mode or even in weight maintenance mode, it can be tempting to define your holiday by how well you controlled your food intake, or whether or not you stayed on your dieting plan.

I used to feel that way to some degree. The holiday would be over and in the midst of the remembering the good times of the day, I’d often find myself focusing on the food I either ate or didn’t eat. That often defined whether I felt the holiday was successful.

During my obese and overweight days, Ialways felt guilty over eating handfuls of chocolate and piles of cookies. As I lost the weight, I still felt occasional twinges of guilt over a “too big” slice of cake or the fact that I had three pieces of candy instead of the two that I had planned.

As the years have gone by, and I’ve grown older, I now understand that holidays have little to do with food and everything to do with relationships. When this morning dawned, I didn’t think about stocking candy, but rather about the look on the little boy’s faces as they opened a Lego set, or the fact that my two adult daughters are rapidly moving towards complete independence and how glad I am to have them home right now. I have learned to cherish the now and focus on the time spent together rather than allowing food to define my holiday.

If you had a less than stellar day when it came to food yesterday, I encourage you to put those thoughts behind you and remember the good times that you did have. The food is temporary but those relationships last and last.

That being said, I always encourage you to take control over your food choices and not allow food to control you or your emotions. I know that can be hard – believe me I know that can be hard – but it is a battle worth fighting and winning.

I am so looking forward to reading your blogs about what has been going on with you this last week and look forward to email updates from those of you who regularly email me!

So then – was your holiday successful? Diane

13 thoughts on “A New Way to Define a Successful Holiday

1. Sharon says:

The family pics are just lovely. Your girls are “you!” Thankfully, my holiday in not defined by what I do or do not eat any longer. We had a quiet Christmas Day that was wonderful. I’m looking forward to a healthy and happy 2013. Thank you for the work you continue to put in writing the blog – it has been and remains such an encouragement to me.

2. Emergefit says:

Slept in. Ate like a pig. Didn’t workout.. Woke up today. The world, and my body are still in tact. Meeting my partner for a workout and trail run at 1pm. #living

Your family is beautiful — absolutely!

3. sheri says:

Thanks for the update and Christmas sharing of your family! I agree with you it comes down to being with family and enjoying those times together.

I am working HARD on trying to figuring out why I eat the way I do and why I just can’t enjoy the one time privilege. Why do I have to binge when I eat off plan one time? I am reading the book Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst and love it. I am blogging about that next week.

Thank you for posting this…my sentiments exactly. Personally, I am really tired of hearing about how much people ate, what they ate, what they didn’t eat, how they overate, how they pigged out. Or…at the Christmas dinner table, “Oh, I shouldn’t be eating this…or I don’t need this.” Well, then don’t eat it…or go ahead and eat it. But don’t tell us; we don’t need to know!! Gosh, I sound crabby…not at all. Just don’t need to hear everyone’s eating diatribe.

Seems like everyone does forget what this season is all about. So sad. We tend to concentrate on Me, Me, Me!!

You have a beautiful family! Merry Christmas!

Beautiful pics Diane – such a wonderful family!!!! I so agree with this: I always encourage you to take control over your food choices and not allow food to control you or your emotions. I know that can be hard – believe me I know that can be hard – but it is a battle worth fighting and winning.

YES – I understand that! πŸ™‚

6. Elizabeth says:

What a beautiful Christmas tree! I took my down at the end of the day Tuesday. I’ve never taken it down that early but it looked so sad after the kids had opened all their presents.

I didn’t panic as much this year about food. I think it gets easier as time goes by and confidence is built. Yes, I ate too many calories but I’m back on track today πŸ™‚

7. Joe says:

Probably ate too much of Mom’s cooking but today i bounced back with a great day of eating so I don’t think I hurt my goals too much.

8. Joy says:

Merry Christmas! Your family photo’s are so great! Yes I had a pretty good Christmas this year and it was nice to see family and friends. Althought there was a lot of yummy food I stayed away from all sweets it was hard but I am happy I did.

9. jeanette says:

You look so healthy and youthful Diane… you should be very proud of all your work! Your large beautiful family makes my heart leap…what a blessing. We had a wonderful Christmas as well and I had a super birthday (Christmas Day!)

May all your blessings be tenfold in the coming year.

10. Janis says:

Good holiday with my family — had some alcohol which to be honest tasted GREAT. It was a bottle of cheap local gluhwein that my mom and I got at the city Christmas Village. It was fantastic warmed up and I was able to have a reasonable amount of it in the evenings, but it’s still nagging me a little. Some champagne, too.

It’s back to no booze in the home now, though. πŸ™‚ The easiest way to ensure that I only do it as a rare indulgence is just to not have it around. We’ll see how I feel next Christmas. It tasted delicious and was a nice holiday treat that I engaged in with moderation, but if the mental recriminations last longer than I’d like, it clearly isn’t worth it.