A Fashion Goal Achieved

After we came back from church yesterday morning, John said, “That skirt has a belt. You never would have worn a skirt with a belt when you were heavy.” I agreed with him, because of course, that was true. First of all, I’m not sure I could have found a belt over 60 inches long, and second of all, the thought of belting anything around my middle was a little bit scary back then. Here’s the outfit from yesterday.

Although many styles these days don’t call for belts, they seem to be coming back and I’m glad. The concept of being able to comfortably wear a belt for ladies and not have your belt slide down under your belly button for a man is important both medically and aesthetically.  Remember the “I Love Lucy” shows and other television shows from the 50’s where the ladies almost always wore belted dresses? Those styles probably helped keep them accountable in some ways!  (Not that I would ever wear fancy dresses around the house!)

From a medical perspective (and always consult your doctor for advice), there have been several studies that draw the correlation between waist size and increased risk of cardiovascular disease. According to many medical professionals, a woman should have waists under 35″ and men under 40″.

As I lost weight, wearing a belt was one of my fashion goals. The first belt I wore was an old one of John’s. I slid it through my brand new pair of size 18 pants and buckled it up. I was amazed how a small piece of leather made me feel more put together and smaller. I eventually got too small for John’s belts and had to buy some of my own. Each time I buckled it around my waist I felt a little bit happy.

Here I am at about 100 pounds down on my journey wearing a belt.

When I bought the skirt in the second photo of the post, I was reminded how proud I had been of myself when I could buckle a belt and wear a shirt tucked in. It’s a feeling that is still very present – even after almost 15 years of weight maintenance.

Belts, more flattering clothes, increased self-confidence and reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases are all great reasons to never give up on your quest to get healthier.

As the new year begins in earnest, think about using some of these tangible measurements to help you stay focused on your long-term goal. Really think whether those extra treats are worth the possibility of adding extra inches onto your waistline and all the other ramifications of gaining weight.

What tools will you use this week to keep you focused on your health? Ever had a new belt experience?  Diane

26 thoughts on “A Fashion Goal Achieved

1. Toby Edge says:

I am in the midst of a short term weight loss transformation and, as I progress through it, my clothes just look better on me. Its such a great feeling seeing yourself change and knowing that small sacrifices lead to much greater rewards. When your jeans are a little loose, rather than a little tight, it just puts a smile on your face!

2. Sheri - Motivation for Health & Fitness says:

I LOVE belts and now that I can wear them I want too, but my husband says it looks bad on me. He says it has nothing to do with weight, that it has to do with how short my waste is and how long my legs are that it doesn’t look aesthetically correct. :-/ Hurts, but I still wear belts when I want to. 🙂

My first year of weight loss, I lived in one pair of chocolate brown cords and one pair of jeans all that winter. I was thrilled. They each had a non-stretch waist band and a button/zipper. They were very snug when I bought them and falling off by spring. And I wore them with belts all that winter. When I got to goal (I think the first/higher one), the belts were way too big. I took them to the local shoe repair guy and he shortened them all for me. They were shortened at the buckle end so the hole end could stay nice.

How is your daughter’s trip going? This is the year for Italy. One of the women in my free weights class has a daughter in Italy (sounds like a very similar winter term type program to your daughter’s) and Roni and her mom are there right now.

5. Emergefit says:

I just belted myself — in he face!!! This year I will be using an old tool once again. In September I will enter my first bodybuilding competition in nearly 12 years. That’s going to keep me in line for sure…

This is great, Diane! I love your humorous style here.

I have a wonderful multicolored belt that was crafted in South Africa, given to me by a physician from there. It is my favorite (except perhaps my old Boy Scout belt), and I wear it as often as I can!

7. Shannon says:

You look beautiful! That is something that I have never been able to do and would love to. You got me excited to think about the possibility 🙂

8. From Polyester to Spandex - Kimberly says:

Yes! I had my own “belt moment” in December. I’ve been moving down through one size in jeans every 8 weeks or so, and I bought my first belt a few weeks ago to help keep up with the waist-gap that forms in the last couple of weeks before I’m ready to move down to my next smaller pants size. When I realized I could wear a belt comfortably, I teared up a bit, thinking about just how far I had truly come. The thought of wearing a belt before I started losing weight would have produced a sight something akin to a rubberband placed around the middle of a water balloon! Not pretty! 🙂
    Kimberly
    Down 156 pounds, 69 to go!

9. Gwen says:

As a really short woman, I don’t think belts will ever ‘work’ for me, but I’m ok with that. I look forward to getting back into my ‘little’ clothes…and those size small shirts! 😀

Interesting you bring this up! I just bought my first belts a few weeks ago, so I could belt a dress for a wedding I was attending. I have never owned one before, because I don’t wear pants/shirt styles that require them and never thought I could pull them off at higher weights. Now they actually make me look thinner and more curvy, or in this case show I have an actual waist, even with a baby belly.

11. Janis says:

I wonder sometimes if this isn’t behind the tendency for “waist”-lines in pants to have dropped down to about the upper hip at best. Most Americans don’t seem to have well-defined waists, and I don’t think anyone could fit into a pair of circa-1984 jeans anymore. 😛

I tend to like and prefer that waist-at-the-waist style, so it’s been a source of some irritation for me that I can apparently never again buy the kinds of pants and jeans that I like.

• evilcyber says:

It seems to me that even on old models the cuts have changed. I remember Levi’s 501s 20 years ago were almost impossible to get into. Today they still cling to your legs, but it feels to me as if there is much more, uh, room 🙂

12. Joe says:

I had a belt experience last month. I had to buy another one because I was on tightest notch and it was still loose. Bought a new belt and am looking to see how many notches I can move up to!

13. Amy Marie says:

For me, I think every time I reach a smaller sized pair of jeans, that means a lot and keeps me motivated. Yet, here I am again at the beginning of my journey.

14. Elizabeth says:

Not a fan of belts but I do love being able to wear stylish dresses again. Not having to wear a “grandma” (sorry mom) style dress when I purchased the first one after losing around 50 lbs was so important. I am now wanting to feel confident enough to get a designer dress from rent the runway soon for a gala 🙂

15. Stacy says:

You look great, Diane!

Belts were a big thing for me, too. I don’t wear them at my natural waist, but more at my hips. Just that was a big accomplishment. Each time I lost the weight after having my kids, and then after I lost the 20lbs I had gained from eating too much and exercising too little, I was so happy that I could wear a belt again.

I gain weight at my waist first, so it is usually at the end of my weight loss that I can wear a belt. It is a good feeling. 🙂

16. Meg (@LadyMegSoprano) says:

For me, it wasn’t belts–though I love having a waistline now–but rather knee-high boots. Oh, how I wanted to wear knee-high boots for so long–over jeans or leggings, with a cute dress. But they wouldn’t zip up over my calves.

I almost cried the day I bought my first pair, a year ago. I wear them all the time. Those boots are what keep me running.

17. evilcyber says:

I can very much relate to the experience with belts. After I lost weight, all my old ones were too long, so I needed to buy replacements. When the sales guy at the clothing store I went to had me try some out, his first suggestions all were too long. After bringing me yet another that wasn’t my length he, being a good bit overweight himself, said, “my goodness, still too long? How can one want to be this skinny?”

This happened about two days after I finished my weight loss and I was in fact at normal weight after four tedious months. His words were not meant as a compliment, but felt like a big one.