Are You Guilty of Using Justification?

I think I had every bad habit in the book when it came to weight loss. Honestly.

And one of the more damaging habits I had was the habit of justifying poor choices based on a variety ofย  “excuses.”

In this video I share a bit about that habit and give you some ideas on how you can overcome it if this is something you struggle with as well. And in case you didn’t know, I’ve got seven kids and a few of them wander by or even peek into the room while I’m talking. Just pretend they weren’t there. (I tried my best to. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Is this something you’ve ever been guilty of doing? How did you stop? Diane

19 thoughts on “Are You Guilty of Using Justification?

very nicely done.

I think there is a definite loop that comes into play with fat, sugar, salt. Eat sugar, want salt, eat salt, want fat, etc. there are very few that can actually do moderation of all things. As you said – important to know if you actually CAN.

And I agree, have to rewire those neuropathways by changing our habits.

kids and dog were fun.

2. HappinessSavouredHot says:

Hi Diane!

This is a rather complete and inspiring presentation! ๐Ÿ™‚

My justifications have always been emotional: the “I deserve it” you mention.

Something we have to acknowledge is the underlying need. We should be able to tell ourselves, instead of reaching for junk food: “Maybe I need to feel sad, or angry, or worried right now”; “Maybe I need to talk with someone I trust”; “Maybe I need a cuddle”; “Maybe I need to go to bed”, etc.

I’ve never been able to have just one ice cream sandwich. Thank you for making me feel like I’m not the only one! The solution is to not have the first one.

I love to see your kids and dog in the background: this is a picture of real life! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Gigi says:

I especially connected with the “I deserve this” notion of justifying my behavior. Oh, how better off I’d be if I only substituted that with a better behavior of say a Calgon Take-Me-Away soak in the tub – waterlogged but thinner. Great video. You’re a real natural in front of the camera.

4. sarah says:

just this morning I went through the startbucks drive-thru and instead of just getting my 25 calorie americano, I also bought a slice of rasberry swirl pound cake! I have a head cold,am pregnant, feel terrible, and for some reason all that meant “I deserved it”–so not good. I watched your video and as I did I went ahead and logged my indulgence (and the vanilla mini scone my kids’ didn’t eat which i didn’t want to “go to waste”) into my fitnesspal app, which keeps me honest. Goodness, I’ve got to not get into the justification habit again!

5. Marc says:

Interesting video presentation. I think women tend to over think their food intake compared to men. Speaking for myself, I could wolf down a 6 pak of those ice-cream sandwiches and not even consider the justifications, other than they were there in the freezer and I wanted a snack. And if you were to ask me later in the day, to write down everything I’d eaten that day…I may not even remember the ice-cream sandwiches.

6. Amy Gladwell says:

Awesome video Diane, I really connect to a few things you had about justifying my eating habits. I know I feel like I deserve a treat if I’ve done some form of exercise, even walking my kids to school, which isn’t good. I’m getting better but I just need to keep pushing to drop the rest of the weight off ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Amy Marie says:

Great stuff!!!! This is SO true…I’m in the MIDDLE of my journey and I’ve found myself getting lazy at times! This is such a good reminder for me!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!

8. BlessedMama says:

You are so good at pinpointing how we deceive ourselves. Of course I’ve used justification! Yes, I’ll eat that and that and… What’s funny is when you said we say to ourselves, “I deserve this.” Shouldn’t we rather say that we deserve something healthy? Sigh. I am so impressed that when you were so overweight that you had the mental strength to pull yourself through. Still working on it over here. Thanks for these encouraging posts.

9. Meghan Rich says:

I am one of those people that can have a treat once and awhile and not undo my whole day. As Long as I don’t go over my calorie count. However I do have to be careful not to use those justification u mentioned when I am say at a really good Mexican restaurant or when I an on vacation. Those are times I can relate to everything u r saying. For me though successful weight loss has always included having the occasional chocolate cake or hamburger because I do feel that u can have those things but also they must be done in limited portions and with an array of healthy foods as well. I do also know that is only something that works for me and that sometimes people can’t stop at just one cookie. Justification is a great subject because we use it in so many aspects of our lives, and I love how clearly you teach on this subject. Seriously this is the best weight loss blog out there to me.

This reminds me of that scene in the movie, “The Big Chill,” where they talk about how often we use rationalization.

Michael: “Oh yeah? Ever gone a week without a rationalization?”

11. Joy says:

Great video!! I am going to start using those tips when I have a craving for something unhealthy . Thanks for sharing this video!

What a great video!!! You are awesome on video – more of it! ๐Ÿ™‚

The message is so true!! People do a lot of justification along the way – I did too! We have to take accountability & know that it is hard & learn to find ways to make it work for us! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Alissa says:

I see myself in a lot of what you talked about. Good info. You should have a podcast! I’d love to listen to more of your advice.

14. Nelly says:

I’ve always have this moment of having an excuse in performing my workout and until now, I can’t stop myself for making an excuse. Could you please help me to stop it? I know that I won’t be able to achieve my goals if I have this mentality.

15. Richard Thompson says:

You are so insightful! Thank you so much for sharing. Knowing your limits is so key, and justification plays a part in that. If you give up on a diet or activity schedule and blame it on its difficulty, you aren’t going to get very far. You need to have attainable, time sensitive goals, and over time they will build up into something great. Again, thanks for sharing!

16. Maggie says:

Well said. Justification could be my middle name (but it’s not, thankfully ๐Ÿ™‚
    I think the hardest part to fixing this behavior is stopping it. Personally, I have acknowledged that I do it, and can recognize that I’m doing it, but I still don’t stop myself. Note I say “don’t stop myself”…not “can’t stop myself”…because that decision to stop is a choice, not a willpower issue (referring to another great post!).